Unsaid PVP rules?

AoshiZ

I just finished a duel and was told that it is an unsaid rule that you are not allowed to use medpacks in a 1 versus 1 fight. This rule is ridiculous and causes a pointless imbalance considering nothing is stopping both players from using medpacks.

Players with specialization such as biochem cannot benefit from their ability to use custom medpacks. On this premise should we also prevent Artifice crafters from using their bound on pickup supercharged relics? How about Cybertech and their supercharged grenades? Anyways my point is why not just let anything go in 1 versus 1 pvp (aside from external help) and not make these stupid poorman's rules.

If someone can make a valid justification of these rules that can shed some light or also bring up other unsaid PVP rules that would be helpful.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pretty extensive history with PVP, and to my knowledge, the only "unsaid" rule I can remember was no deathblows in SWG.

Even then, you were a WHOLE lot smarter if you specified it in advance.

So, in short, anything goes unless it's mutually agreed to be prohibited before the fight starts.

I just finished a duel and was told that it is an unsaid rule that you are not allowed to use medpacks in a 1 versus 1 fight. This rule is ridiculous and causes a pointless imbalance considering nothing is stopping both players from using medpacks.

Players with specialization such as biochem cannot benefit from their ability to use custom medpacks. On this premise should we also prevent Artifice crafters from using their bound on pickup supercharged relics? How about Cybertech and their supercharged grenades? Anyways my point is why not just let anything go in 1 versus 1 pvp (aside from external help) and not make these stupid poorman's rules.

If someone can make a valid justification of these rules that can shed some light or also bring up other unsaid PVP rules that would be helpful.

People will always say some stupid thing like that after a duel... "OMG dude you used a medpac!?" "OMG dude you used your cooldowns... I didn't even have mine up!"

Dueling is pointless anyways..

I have a pretty extensive history with PVP, and to my knowledge, the only "unsaid" rule I can remember was no deathblows in SWG.

Even then, you were a WHOLE lot smarter if you specified it in advance.

So, in short, anything goes unless it's mutually agreed to be prohibited before the fight starts.

Thats why you dotted the **** out of them and said: Oops!

:D:D

For people who believe that anything goes during a duel, is it okay to AOE knockback of ledges resulting in death, or knocking players into mobs resulting in death, or going into stealth and purposefully avoiding fighting until they quit and you can say you won via forfeit? Just wondering?

I threw someone off a cliff in a duel in WoW.

He was an amazing duelist and I had no chance.

It amused him.

Edited by Grubfist

I'd say medpacks are fair game since most clever Assassins/Operatives use vanish, sap, and recharge/reload to get their health/resources back.

I always thought vanish made you automatically forfeit from a duel? Or do we mean 1v1 in a PvP scenario? Or am I missing something?

I'm fine with using everything you have, if you have a duel rule specify it. "no trinkets, no stims, medpacs, etc." If they complain after the fight maybe you're generous enough to offer a rematch without using any extras. Dueling can be stupid if you become obsessed with it, it's not like a kickboxing sparring match, you're just hitting buttons and maybe you have better gear or are playing a better class so it's not an indicator that yeah you're the better player per se. Edited by HBninjaX

I always thought vanish made you automatically forfeit from a duel? Or do we mean 1v1 in a PvP scenario? Or am I missing something?

That I'm not sure of since I'm a Marauder. It definitely works in just plain 1v1 PvP scenario...not sure about duels. I'd say it does work because I remember watching an assassin vid yesterday and he had a few duels against another guildie assassin and they both did it lol.

Why on earth would Vanish do that? Do they want stealthers to automatically lose every duel?

Odd, I'll have to try it again. I don't really duel anyone anyway, being a healer scoundrel, just thought I did it once. And the rationale for it COULD be that it is "running away".

Everything goes in open world pvp, unless it was a pre-arranged duel/competition with pre-set rules laid out before hand.

Why wouldn't you use a medpack or stims or adrenals? If they complain about it, it's probably some noob that doesn't have biochem, and why wouldn't you have biochem if you pvp?

Don't worry about it. It's just some sore loser trying to come up with excuses for being bad.

Edited by ---AlterEgo---

Odd, I'll have to try it again. I don't really duel anyone anyway, being a healer scoundrel, just thought I did it once. And the rationale for it COULD be that it is "running away".

It's not running away, it's using a powerful tool your class is based around. It enables more abilities and allows you to get out of a bind and get a new opener.

It's not running away, it's using a powerful tool your class is based around. It enables more abilities and allows you to get out of a bind and get a new opener.

Its really not a big deal and not worth arguing about, but I feel like stealth really has no place in a duel. I am not trying to take away some of the strength of stealthers at all.

But its just lame when people stealth to try to out-wait you in a duel. And also, you shouldn't really be able to re-stealth and re-use a big opener like 10 times during a fight. I don't know what the cooldown on the in-combat stealth is but if its short enough it could be abused.

Anyways, like I said it not a big deal at all. Duels are pretty much never "fair" anyways. No nerf needed, I just don't like it in principle.

I've played games with no duel rules and others, like WAR, where the community had a pretty concrete set of rules that everyone went by. IE beckon-bow-start, no consumables, running to guards/mobs etc. In this game though, where that doesn't seem to exist, boo hoo for them if they didnt lay out the rules before the duel.

Its really not a big deal and not worth arguing about, but I feel like stealth really has no place in a duel. I am not trying to take away some of the strength of stealthers at all.

But its just lame when people stealth to try to out-wait you in a duel. And also, you shouldn't really be able to re-stealth and re-use a big opener like 10 times during a fight. I don't know what the cooldown on the in-combat stealth is but if its short enough it could be abused.

Anyways, like I said it not a big deal at all. Duels are pretty much never "fair" anyways. No nerf needed, I just don't like it in principle.

It's not "waiting you out" or "using a huge opener"

As a shadow dps, you popping stealth allows you to use a 2-second stun that does about 300 damage. That's not a "big opener."

It also, more importantly, gives you a large amount of energy regeneration.

Popping into stealth is a dps boost in a PvE situation. It's simply how the talents work.