Marriage and kids?

Yermog

To be fair, we've seen plenty of examples of the story jumping ahead and the kids becoming more predominant characters in the Expanded Universe. Nothing to stop a future expansion having that kind of an effect, allowing us to see some more of the Republic history to pan out. We've got about 3,500 years to fill before we reach Phantom Menace anyway. ;-)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are children in the Legacy System. I'm pretty sure your child gets one of your abilities.

Yep. Along with all your non-class planetary missions and timelines. And if for whatever reason kid follows parent's path - he\she'll get all your complete class missions also, along with companions, some of which are supposed to be his\her mom\dad. What a heaven for an immersive RP, isn't it? [/sarcasm off]

Via legacy you will be able to marry one of your characters to another right?

If you marry a companion, will you then not be able to to marry your character to another? being limited because of the companion you married?

If so is there any benefit to marrying your companion, or is it actually a disadvantage, not allowing you to marry your other characters in legacy

Thanks,

Law

i just realised id have to be careful with my kids near lokin; he'd teach them how not to get caught by ma and pa, and how do weasle thier way out of getting grounded :p

i would raise crazy arsed kids

" let me get this straight dad, if i like a girl, i gotta offer to rub forearms and give her bug milk?!"

" indeed. b****es LOVE bug milk"

" ..this better work"

The only "prooflink" we seem to have is a line from wookipedia, which states that "Biologically, many Near-Humans were capable of interbreeding with baseline Humans."

But "many" are not "all", and both no spieces or sources are named directly.

No prooflink on my part. But in "Heir to the Empire" (and other early Star Wars books), Thrawn is repeatedly described as "mixed race". (Supposedly human/some kind of alien - possibly Nogrhi according to early source books, although the Noghri is just rumored.) Star Wars later decided that Thrawn was "Chiss", although whether he's supposed to be full Chiss or half Chiss is debatable, I think, considering that he is regularly described as "mixed" in the books where his "race" or "species" first appears. Using that interpretation, humans should be cross-fertile with Chiss. (Although whether their off spring is sterile or not, I don't know.) Also, Chiss are supposed to be a lost human colony, so again, provided divergence has been fairly minimal, I'd assume they could reproduce. (And since being "Chiss" is adoptive rather than racial, theoretically they wouldn't really see that much of a difference, anyway. If you were half-Chiss, but born into Chiss society, theoretically they wouldn't differentiate, at least judging by some of Temple's comments. Arguably, too, Thrawn is *not* Chiss, as he was exiled from their society.)

As for the other races, there are definitely sith part bloods in Star Wars lore. Also half-Zabrek and half-Miralan. Not sure about Miraluka, but it seems likely that they're cross-fertile (as they're another lost human culture, only differing in loss of eyes + force sensitivity).

Pretty much the only one where there isn't some canon half-breed are the Ratataki (which may or may not be cross-fertile - I'd wager they are), and the Twi'lek (who are the only non-lost human colony species). So, theoretically, probably every playable race (so far) is cross-fertile with humans other than the twi'lek. (Although non-playable races such as the Cathar probably aren't.)

I feel like such a nerd now...

So assuming zabraks can have children with humans (no adopting was mentioned iirc), this would be my sorc's setup..

Mama is deep red, papa is tan, together they have a light pink-brownish baby? With small horns? What? >_> Hnnnnng.

Now, my sith is die-hard light side, but she has work to do too ;o so handing the sithling to Ashara and Talos seems like a better idea than Khem: force-sensitive snack, Andros: if it's old enough to hold a blaster, it's old enough to learn how to shoot, and Xalek would either see the child as his new mini-apprentice, or flick it away if it bothers him. Which I can imagine would be always. And mama's away handling powerful artifacts for the Dark Council all day.

Ok, no children then :'D

Via legacy you will be able to marry one of your characters to another right?

If you marry a companion, will you then not be able to to marry your character to another? being limited because of the companion you married?

If so is there any benefit to marrying your companion, or is it actually a disadvantage, not allowing you to marry your other characters in legacy

Thanks,

Law

OOO polyamory - love it ;-)

One thing that I found weird was the mention of adoption for characters of different species. The problem is, most of the romance-able characters come from species that are able to crossbreed with the available main character species. According to the wookieepedia, humans, zabraks, Kiffars, Miralukas and Twi'leks can all crossbreed. The designers may have just wanted to avoid having to make character models of hybrid species. But whats the point? The characters are never going to be shown starting an actual family, with kids, in the game, at least I hope not. That would be weird and out place. I don't want to see SWTOR turn into the Sims.

On an unrelated note there is also a surprisingly large wookieepedia page on the subject of breasts. Don't ask me how I found it. One of the reference pictures is Anakin Skywalker without his shirt for some reason. It also explains why species of people that are technically trees can have mammary glands.:confused:

Read it though. It's funny.

Edited by GusVIII

On an unrelated note there is also a surprisingly large wookieepedia page on the subject of breasts. Don't ask me how I found it. One of the reference pictures is Anakin Skywalker without his shirt for some reason. It also explains why species of people that are technically trees can have mammary glands.:confused:

http://troll.me/images/jackie-chan-whut/***-did-i-just-read.jpg

One thing that I found weird was the mention of adoption for characters of different species. The problem is, most of the romance-able characters come from species that are able to crossbreed with the available main character species. According to the wookieepedia, humans, zabraks, Kiffars, Miralukas and Twi'leks can all crossbreed. The designers may have just wanted to avoid having to make character models of hybrid species. But whats the point? The characters are never going to be shown starting an actual family, with kids, in the game, at least I hope not. That would be weird and out place. I don't want to see SWTOR turn into the Sims.

okay, officially, my agent has now named rightie "Light side" and leftie " dark side"

perfectly in ballance, and central to the order of the galaxy.

just wanted to point out on a earlier post- better pet names given to us by our companions.

Some are cute, like andronikus calls the female Inquisitors "His little sith", and Ashara calls me her "big hansom sith lord" (never gets old).

Can someone post theres from non inquisitors aswell?

It'd be quite cool, but it's hard to realistically imagine raising kids while out hunting bounties, doing imperial business or being a bad-*** dude with a wookie friend. And also raising a family on a ship would be quite strange.

-your kids would have a compromised social upbringing, living on a ship, moving from planet to planet, not being able to make long lasting bonds with non sibblings of thier age. At best you could send them off to boarding school after a few years of compromised fieldwork capacity.

-who in thier right mind would go into space combat with a " baby on board" sticker???

-who would go into a dangerous mission while heavily pregnant, or pregnant at all, with more than yourself at risk? An injury could cause a misscarriage, or induce labor in the middle of a warzone.

-Im pretty sure every class has ship crew that are just not baby friendly, Kaleiyo, Khem val, ect. But then again, i'm sure blizz would make an awesome nanny.

A plausable explanation of your char having kids for SOME classes; they had them before they went on thier adventure. Fem agent has the chance to say she might have a husband back at home, but she dosen't " let him get in the way". Perhaps she had a kid or two, and basically both sides had to accept the fact they probably would never meet again due to cover reasons.

-your kids would have a compromised social upbringing, living on a ship, moving from planet to planet, not being able to make long lasting bonds with non sibblings of thier age. At best you could send them off to boarding school after a few years of compromised fieldwork capacity.

-who in thier right mind would go into space combat with a " baby on board" sticker???

-who would go into a dangerous mission while heavily pregnant, or pregnant at all, with more than yourself at risk? An injury could cause a misscarriage, or induce labor in the middle of a warzone.

-Im pretty sure every class has ship crew that are just not baby friendly, Kaleiyo, Khem val, ect. But then again, i'm sure blizz would make an awesome nanny.

A plausable explanation of your char having kids for SOME classes; they had them before they went on thier adventure. Fem agent has the chance to say she might have a husband back at home, but she dosen't " let him get in the way". Perhaps she had a kid or two, and basically both sides had to accept the fact they probably would never meet again due to cover reasons.

I'd let Blizz babysit. Kids love Jawas! :D

Now, I WOULD have to kill Skadge first, though. No way in hell is he gonna be around Mako's and my kids!

Mandalorian society is designed to be mobile. Traditionally, their homes are able to be torn down and reassembled somewhere else. Consider them, perhaps, like the nomadic tribes who lived in the midwest and hunted buffalo. And most Mandalorian children venture out with their parents fairly young, around 8-10 years old. Boba Fet was right next to Jango as Obi-Wan followed along behind them, for instance.

I think the big, glaring problem here is pregnancy. If you play a man, it's all well and good...you can't summon your wife to help you in combat while she's pregnant, fine. But for those of us who play women...I don't really know how it would work unless they did a Fable-type time skip, which a lot of people didn't like that much in Fable anyhow. As funny as it would be to run around dual-wielding light sabers while you're 8 months pregnant, I think BW would run into far too many issues to implement that.

Mandalorian society is designed to be mobile. Traditionally, their homes are able to be torn down and reassembled somewhere else. Consider them, perhaps, like the nomadic tribes who lived in the midwest and hunted buffalo. And most Mandalorian children venture out with their parents fairly young, around 8-10 years old. Boba Fet was right next to Jango as Obi-Wan followed along behind them, for instance.

you're thinking the mongols. and while chiss ( my agent's species) are physically adults by 10, and fully established adults by mid teens, still a fair bit of time.

I don't think there's ever a good time to have kids at any point in the Star Wars timeline. Has that stopped anyone so far? I would even go as far as saying some people probably view having children as strategically important to the war effort. With so many people getting killed, they will need replacements. With how awesomely amazing our characters are supposed to be, it would be a crime not to pass on our genes. :jawa_tongue:

I don't think there's ever a good time to have kids at any point in the Star Wars timeline. Has that stopped anyone so far? I would even go as far as saying some people probably view having children as strategically important to the war effort. With so many people getting killed, they will need replacements. With how awesomely amazing our characters are supposed to be, it would be a crime not to pass on our genes. :jawa_tongue:

well the empire does have an established eugenics program. you could allways donate your gametes in bulk. i doubt theyd want my alien genes tho =[

you're thinking the mongols. and while chiss ( my agent's species) are physically adults by 10, and fully established adults by mid teens, still a fair bit of time.

No, I'm not thinking of Mongols, actually. Wouldn't cross my mind. I was thinking of Sioux or Cheyenne, rather. And didn't say there wasn't "time involved". What I said was that Mandalorians aren't going to be overly disrupted as they have children and move from place to place. What WE think of as a "stable upbringing" isn't neccessarily the same as they would.

I just got hitched to Doc was kinda shocked that he hid the bot on my ship to preform it but thats another story.

Thing is he seems really gungho on us having little ones and I don't know if the ole guy understands if any are force sensitive they will probably take them to Tython away from us to raise properly.

One of the things I remember from my sage's story was the whole being able to wield the force at 4 so I think if she had any (doubtful since I opted out of romance with her) theyd probably take that child to.

With that on my mind im not to keen on having kids in game. Not if I have to worry about not being able to even interact with them because the council knows best :/

just wanted to point out on a earlier post- better pet names given to us by our companions.

Some are cute, like andronikus calls the female Inquisitors "His little sith", and Ashara calls me her "big hansom sith lord" (never gets old).

Can someone post theres from non inquisitors aswell?

"My Lord" ... yup..