Marriage and kids?

Yermog

Just to give an idea of the type of thing I am talking about: Homosexuality was once thought to be taboo, but generally not invasive or harmful. It was one of those things people would do under a huge amount of discretion. Discretion is a GOOD thing, especially as it ties in with cultural standards of taboo. People talk about a slippery slope, "..well if we let the gays *blah blah* than soon people will *blah blah* animals and so on..." no no NO. To me, there is a rational basis for a strong moral prejudice against something, and if I can't find one than I cease that prejudice. It doesn't mean I am not still personally revolted, but I can move it from the category of "wrong" to "just not for me". I guess thats really the point I have been trying to make. Currently, thank god, there are no sentient species that we even know of. I think the moment we come across any everyones head will simultaneously explode on a thousand different levels.

Again, I've been pretty much saying. If this were a RL race that we were dealing with in RL some folks would just have to take some time to get over themselves and- well, in an entire galaxy of people some are just never going to do that. Some because they don't want to but others just because they flat-out can't.

So, yeah, I do think that some poor schmuck backing away from the Chiss hottie trying to making the moves on him at the Cantina because every ounce of decency that he has ever known is screaming at him not to mess with the sweet kid deserves a bit of a break even though we both agree that the bigot that wouldn't touch that alien... "thing" save to slap a slave collar on "it" does not.

Wait, not true.

Let's be honest. We could probably both agree that the bigot also deserves a "break" as well- just of a different kind.... But we would probably be here until the sun cooled debating as to how many and which precise limbs should be broken if we got into that discussion. :p

Putting the whole thing another way- what if we run across a species that "appears" sentient but they just happen to make great workers. It is a lot cheaper to put them to work on some planet many light years away (near where we found them), under one or two human overseers, than it is to ship people there to do the work. So do we entertain the notion that maybe we are "enslaving" this new species? Do we automatically assume that it is slavery? Slavery is a great example because it is not merely "taboo", but plainly wrong. Probably more useful things to think about (lol) but I really wonder as we develop as a species and a civilization if we will really try to reason things out or just do what is convenient.

Well, check me if I'm wrong but, isn't that the key difference between the Empire vs Republic?

And, last, but not least, we have successfully hijacked this thread and, for that I am sorry but..... I'll even admit this too:.... This conversation has been getting pretty interesting- at least to me. ;)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I've been pretty much saying. If this were a RL race that we were dealing with in RL some folks would just have to take some time to get over themselves and- well, in an entire galaxy of people some are just never going to do that. Some because they don't want to but others just because they flat-out can't.

So, yeah, I do think that some poor schmuck backing away from the Chiss hottie trying to making the moves on him at the Cantina because every ounce of decency that he has ever known is screaming at him not to mess with the sweet kid deserves a bit of a break even though we both agree that the bigot that wouldn't touch that alien... "thing" save to slap a slave collar on "it" does not.

Wait, not true.

Let's be honest. We could probably both agree that the bigot also deserves a "break" as well- just of a different kind.... But we would probably be here until the sun cooled debating as to how many and which precise limbs should be broken if we got into that discussion. :p

Well, check me if I'm wrong but, isn't that the key difference between the Empire vs Republic?

And, last, but not least, we have successfully hijacked this thread and, for that I am sorry but..... I'll even admit this too:.... This conversation has been getting pretty interesting- at least to me. ;)

lol it is interesting, and yes, apologies for the hijack. Being in the story section, I think especially the last quoted bit there is pretty relevant. My sith warrior is dark V but makes every anti-slavery decision he can, including killing defeated enemies instead of taking prisoners. I think with the Empire, slavery might be more a matter of convenience than, "we are evil so we like slavery". Slavery being ultimately counter-productive though, I guess you can start to piece together some reasons why the Empire always ultimately fails. The "probably sentient" species so far away would be far more productive (probably) if their labor was based in self-interest (voluntary) rather than compulsory. Who knows. An interesting topic though.

lol it is interesting, and yes, apologies for the hijack. Being in the story section, I think especially the last quoted bit there is pretty relevant. My sith warrior is dark V but makes every anti-slavery decision he can, including killing defeated enemies instead of taking prisoners. I think with the Empire, slavery might be more a matter of convenience than, "we are evil so we like slavery". Slavery being ultimately counter-productive though, I guess you can start to piece together some reasons why the Empire always ultimately fails. The "probably sentient" species so far away would be far more productive (probably) if their labor was based in self-interest (voluntary) rather than compulsory. Who knows. An interesting topic though.

Because writers want it that way. Thats the only reason.

lol it is interesting, and yes, apologies for the hijack.

It's all right. I resigned myself to this discussion continuing despite my gentle attempts to urge it back onto topic 5 pages ago. :p

No, really, it was fun to read it. How we got to this subject I can no longer recall, and frankly it's more amusing not to, however I am glad that we can now let it lie... until someone else brings something up that relates vaguely to the subject but is enough of a comment to get someone started on an entirely different topic. I've got a bet going with myself about that.

Speaking of bets... hilarious image... Doc verses Andronikus in Pazaak. Am I the only one expecting some sort of cross-class companion moment in the future? I mean, Risha and Vette both talk about each other, Doc knew Kaliyo from the Agent line, plus Nemro the Hutt was killed by the Bounty Hunter... I would not be surprised to know that Akaavi knows Torian somehow. Personally I love those cross-over moments myself. It might be fun to see all that in a future expansion, because then we get to see the companions with their own friends, outside of the ones on the ship they currently occupy.

Edited by Yermog

Because writers want it that way. Thats the only reason.

Not really. Obviously on some level slavery works, or else people wouldn't keep it alive today.

Will that slave want to work as hard as someone in the position voluntarily? No. Will they? Depends on the slaver. :p

As for the Empire being into slavery just because they're written that way, no. The whole Empire is built around power. Who has it and who uses it. And everything has gone to show on the Empire side of things, that the majority of the Empire doesn't care for aliens, and finds them to be lesser beings, basically nothing more than sentient work animals.

Slaves are a sign of power. You have power over those individuals. The Empire is an evil government. Does this mean the Republic doesn't do some evil acts? No. Does this mean there aren't a few non-evil people in the Empire? No.

What's really at issue (it seems) is players want to play Empire side (for various reasons) but tend not to want to come off as looking like the complete bad guy...the bad guy with a redeeming quality.

Not to mention, Empire side is generally considered to have the better stories :p But back to the point, playing the bad guy with some shimmer of light side, or the good guy riding the line between good and evil, just tends to be popular fiction.

When people see total do-gooders now a days, they complain about how good they are. :p

To be fair, we've seen plenty of examples of the story jumping ahead and the kids becoming more predominant characters in the Expanded Universe. Nothing to stop a future expansion having that kind of an effect, allowing us to see some more of the Republic history to pan out. We've got about 3,500 years to fill before we reach Phantom Menace anyway. ;-)

Or you could try what Dragon Age did and introduce a parallel expansion that takes place 25-30 years after the events of SWTOR. That way the timeline is solved. The new storyline would revolve around the Empire having a comeback especially after Makeb. Then in the Inquisitor's case, the child would most likely be a Sith and would be super privileged at Korriban academy.(Daddy rules the Empire) :rak_03: The storyline then proceeds onward and you can still access your old characters and possibly interact with them in the expansion.