Carolina Parakeet 1vs1

dejavy

Today i want to try a new build based on Carolina.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbdMboMZZbIbrzh.1

Not sure about Focused Impact talent still (40% penetra i sacrificed for Static Surge) but hope it will work as i planed.

Those of you who have already tried the build, can you share your experience about it please? Most of all I'm interested in 1vs1 fights because there's always a fat guy defending a node or gates assured he's unbeatable :) I want to change it.

/thanks

Edited by dejavy

Your basically just trading some HIB dmg for a harder hitting stock strike, so against a light armor class you won't notice much of a dmg difference on HIB but your going to have a hard time taking down anyone with a lot of mitigation since your main attacks are both mitigated by armor, so good against squishies but lacking against some of the more tanky classes.

I've done fairly well in this build 1v1.

I have the biggest problem with really good medics, my damage is way too constant, no burst, they can manage it for several minutes. Most 1v1s I have with a good medic last over 4 minutes, I will usually win, but I have to physically exhaust them (their fingers spamming the heal button)

I make fairly easy work of most other classes.

Something interesting about this build, most burst classes can get my health down to 25% in a few seconds, but after that, I can slowly but surly keep the pressure on them, and they cant keep up with the constant damage. They get all excited, they think they have won, and then suddenly my Rotation kicks in (IR, IP, HIB, SS [not in that order, but when they proc]) burn em down!

Loading into Ilum from a WZ into about 5-6 enemies, I can typically single out a squishy 50, and down them before the rest get me down. Pop adrenals, sheilds, HOT and get that rotation going!

I dont like this build. Its resource greedy and you struggle when you are out of ammo. My feelings is thats its a build that requires a pocket healer. You can do a lot of damage, but 1 on 1 with someone on an equal gear footing, i'd think you would lose more than you would win, but the same can be said for any vanguard spec. We are not designed for 1 on 1. Edited by origional

This may be an odd question, but why does the hybrid build have a dumb name like Carolina Parakeet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Parakeet

The last wild specimen was killed in Okeechobee County, Florida, in 1904, and the last captive bird died at the Cincinnati Zoo on February 21, 1918

21/2/18

Edited by Riulassher

That's beyond dumb. Honestly don't mean to be rude, but its just a very odd choice. I'm guessing we can thank Taugrim for this?

Carbon Nanotubing technology saw great improvement on 2/22/2008, how about we call it the Carbon Nanotube build?

What does 2/22/2008 have to do with a spec that's 21/2/18? Nothing, exactly. The spec is a date though and that date the last Parakeet died. Perfectly valid (while certainly unorthodox" way to call the spec.

That's beyond dumb. Honestly don't mean to be rude, but its just a very odd choice. I'm guessing we can thank Taugrim for this?

Carbon Nanotubing technology saw great improvement on 2/22/2008, how about we call it the Carbon Nanotube build?

No, not Taugrim. Some PT came up with it and it remained in use precisely because it's so stupid.

And sad.

Poor birds.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147738&highlight=Carolina+Parakeet

Original post by chainsawsamurai (which being first I personally found it humorous and a bit catchy for the build)

It was the first with a silly name (that wasn't "insert my character's name build", now everybody has to have a stupid name for their build.

As far as an earlier comment, the build probably has the best heat management out of any build. Between the shielding vents (when shield decided to work on the small amount of abilities in PvP) and Ionic Accelerator (Which if you are Assault you are familiar with managing your resoruce with that build anyways) it takes a lot to get you to the point where you HAVE to use your standard attacking.

Edited by exphryl

True bounty hunter who runs Carolina Parakeet here. I recommend that you do not really deviate from the build. The build has been tested many a times and the only one I can see to be plausible it to take the points that make HIB 40% ignorant of armor, and make Stock strike's crit damage go up.

Other than that, stay to it, and watch the hopeless burn.

On the name note, Trungalung and chainsawsamurai were the first to officially run the build. If you find the name dumb, wait till you meet them in person. No burst class has ever taking me down within 10 seconds. Mostly, they die.

Edited by DarthNofu

Finished the test. - didn't like it.

It's just ok but not what i like in a class. I like hard playing class with great results. Yesterday speced in Tactics (again)... After playing a few games i finally tasted its potential. It's just awesome but requires smart and accurate playstyle. Now i act a victim running from my foe, but when my enemy is far enough from someone who can help i become a hunter :D Yesterday at Huttball i taunted my "lovely" sorcs, led them closer to our base and then gut them out of others sight :wea_12: Can't express the feeling of revange and satisfaction.

When did the topic become extinct?

I'm definately a 'keet but still working up. Just got the assault end done so far, so I'm mostly running with the assault cell up so far.

I'm wondering how much the added armor in ion cell helps, dont sorcs mostly ignore that with force attacks? Asking since there are so many sorcs, last wz I swear every IMP icon on the scoreboard was purple lighting.

Edited by salamanderx

True bounty hunter who runs Carolina Parakeet here. I recommend that you do not really deviate from the build. The build has been tested many a times and the only one I can see to be plausible it to take the points that make HIB 40% ignorant of armor, and make Stock strike's crit damage go up.

Other than that, stay to it, and watch the hopeless burn.

On the name note, Trungalung and chainsawsamurai were the first to officially run the build. If you find the name dumb, wait till you meet them in person. No burst class has ever taking me down within 10 seconds. Mostly, they die.

That is what i have done with the CP, put the 2 points into stockstrike, which i really like. I agree with you 100% dont mess with the spec much, becasue it really is a great build as is. Oh and i like the name Caronlina Parakeet :).

When did the topic become extinct?

I'm definately a 'keet but still working up. Just got the assault end done so far, so I'm mostly running with the assault cell up so far.

I'm wondering how much the added armor in ion cell helps, dont sorcs mostly ignore that with force attacks? Asking since there are so many sorcs, last wz I swear every IMP icon on the scoreboard was purple lighting.

Ion cell stance increases your mitigation from 30% to 50% (approximately). That means you will be taking almost 30% less damage from attacks mitigated by armor.

Lightning sorceres do mostly energy damage, which will be mitigated by armor. But their abilities are classified as force abilities and they will go right through your shields. Only weapon abilities (melee/range) can proc your shield.

Edited by Riulassher

Ion cell stance increases your mitigation from 30% to 50% (approximately). That means you will be taking almost 30% less damage from attacks mitigated by armor.

Lightning sorceres do mostly energy damage, which will be mitigated by armor. But their abilities are classified as force abilities and they will go right through your shields. Only weapon abilities (melee/range) can proc your shield.

Thanks for clearing that up! Didnt worry about defense ratings/armor/etc so much with my merc, best defense was staying the heck back! I'm missing very little from my merc actually, cheesey heals and knockbacks dont hold up to instants and harpoon looks like the funnest thing ever.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147738&highlight=Carolina+Parakeet

Original post by chainsawsamurai (which being first I personally found it humorous and a bit catchy for the build)

It was the first with a silly name (that wasn't "insert my character's name build", now everybody has to have a stupid name for their build.

As far as an earlier comment, the build probably has the best heat management out of any build. Between the shielding vents (when shield decided to work on the small amount of abilities in PvP) and Ionic Accelerator (Which if you are Assault you are familiar with managing your resoruce with that build anyways) it takes a lot to get you to the point where you HAVE to use your standard attacking.

Also, if you read part of the causes for extinction on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Parakeet part of the reason was they tended to flock around 'wounded or dying' birds. I actually find that strangely appropriate for an ion cell based vanguard spec:)

Edited by lordbeany

I think losing the points from high impact bolt is a big mistake. I can't think of a single class this change would help with. The goal is to get more damage from HIB not less.

This ^ CP is based around HIB you want it to hit as hard as possible 21/2/18 is the sweet spot. Not to say I couldn't see a 23/0/18 working but...meh

This ^ CP is based around HIB you want it to hit as hard as possible 21/2/18 is the sweet spot. Not to say I couldn't see a 23/0/18 working but...meh

I was 23/0/18, but went to 21/2/18 Just a few hours ago.

I personally swapped those two points out, and I Immediately saw an additional 40-60K damage more out of me in every warzone. I had no clue It would make a difference like that.

Highly recommend doing so. I was so focused on my Stockstrike I let High impact bolt go to the wayside.

HIB hit some people today for ~4.7k! I had a big grin on my face when that happened.