The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

This is the last post I'll respond to you ever. You are attempting poorly to twist my words.

The community is more than just a guild. If the only people a person interact with or talk to are your guild mates then they are either lying or limiting themselves. To find a guild that fits you you need to meet and interact with players initially. As I've stated before a lot of people make these initial bonds through parting with the person. I don't know Bob here is a good tank just by looking at him regardless of his gear.

Players want things like server forums to strengthen the server community and a statement like "If you want community join a guild." is very short sighted and does not reflect what players want or look for in a community.

I have been in a lot of guilds over the years. Any guild worth being in (you know one that actually gets stuff done) IMO recruits from guild apps on websites.

Frankly i prefer my community experience to be less limited than a server.

I look forward to the day mmo's break this single server community mold and makes it much larger. This game has 1.7 million players (so BW says) I much rather have the chance to met and play with that many people than be limited to a few thousand on one server.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in a lot of guilds over the years. Any guild worth being in (you know one that actually gets stuff done) IMO recruits from guild apps on websites.

Frankly i prefer my community experience to be less limited than a server.

I look forward to the day mmo's break this single server community mold and makes it much larger. This game has 1.7 million players (so BW says) I much rather have the chance to met and play with that many people than be limited to a few thousand on one server.

And I agree with you. However in the current state of the game I cannot team up to do dailies, head out for some free for all pvp or even just shoot the breeze doing goofy things in the world with that 1.7 million players. Unfortunately I can't. To my knowledge IF a cross server LFG is implemented in the future who knows when I'll be able to communicate with them outside of the limited window of the flashpoint.

This is the last post I'll respond to you ever. You are attempting poorly to twist my words.
I haven't twisted your words in any way.

I simply point out a logical extension to your snide comment, which happens undermine your position; I left your words exactly as you said them.

Now, if you had actually stuck to arguing against his comment instead of trying to snark, that wouldn't have been an issue, eh?

The community is more than just a guild. If the only people a person interact with or talk to are your guild mates then they are either lying or limiting themselves. To find a guild that fits you you need to meet and interact with players initially. As I've stated before a lot of people make these initial bonds through parting with the person. I don't know Bob here is a good tank just by looking at him regardless of his gear.

The community is more than just a server. If the only people a person interact with or talk to are on your server then they are limiting themselves.

Some people choose to limit themselves to their guild; you think that's an absurd limitation. You choose to limit yourself to the server; other people think tha'ts an absurd limitation

The point is: it's absurd to expect everyone else to be happy with your limitations

Players want things like server forums to strengthen the server community and a statement like "If you want community join a guild." is very short sighted and does not reflect what players want or look for in a community.
I'd say that finding a good guild covers what many, maybe even most, of the players want or look for in a community. Edited by ferroz

Isolationism within the guild. That's more a product of a poor community, isn't it?
No...

EQ had a good community, especially early on. But even back then there were people that preferred to be isolated and only play with their guild members or even just their RL friends.

Edited by ferroz

No...

EQ had a good community, especially early on. But even back then there were people that preferred to be isolated and only play with their guild members or RL friends.

In fairness, a lot of the elements that made EQ a good community do not exist nowdays in your typical MMO.

What you're saying is true but I believe it's becoming far more common because of the poor state of community that exists now. Just my opinion.

It will end up like Rift, Rift started with server only LFG tool then changed it to all servers or servers within the pvp group of servers. This will happen since not many people on the servers anyways, the bigger the pool the bigger the prize.

In fairness, a lot of the elements that made EQ a good community do not exist nowdays in your typical MMO.

What you're saying is true but I believe it's becoming far more common because of the poor state of community that exists now. Just my opinion.

I'd say that the fact that the real culprit is combination of

1. instancing as the default assumption
  2. the questing system

You teach people from a very early point that the proper way to play is to get your friends together and go into your own little space, where you're all alone. Your quest objectives are private, or (when public) are either so widespread or respawn so fast that there's no reason to worry about competing with other people.

When your group is in a public area and have to negotiate with other people for limited resources (spawns, especially named) that creates a very different community.

Edited by ferroz

I think they should stick with same server Flashpoint LFG tool & the cross server PvP tool, as planned. Whenever I've spoken to other players, in that "other" mmorpg, they've all agreed that cross server dungeon finder was a huge mistake. I like the idea of finding people on the same server, makes it easier for guild recruitment, finding them to do other things, adding to friends list & help general communication/socializing on each server.

Whenever I've spoken to other players, in that "other" mmorpg,
You mean, other than when you talk to them on the forums, right? Since there are plenty of people who played WoW (it's not hard to type) who don't agree with the evaluation that you're presenting.

I think they should stick with same server Flashpoint LFG tool & the cross server PvP tool, as planned. Whenever I've spoken to other players, in that "other" mmorpg, they've all agreed that cross server dungeon finder was a huge mistake. I like the idea of finding people on the same server, makes it easier for guild recruitment, finding them to do other things, adding to friends list & help general communication/socializing on each server.

I talk to players in wow every day and they all agree that they love the lfd/lfr system and think its one of the best functions in the game. A lot of them have also stated that they would not even consider playing a different game unless the other game had such systems.

Your statement in no way reflects the whole of the player base. I would even say yours is the minority.

We need a log in poll in the game. I would bet the overwhelming majority would vote for cross server lfd.

I talk to players in wow every day and they all agree that they love the lfd/lfr system and think its one of the best functions in the game. A lot of them have also stated that they would not even consider playing a different game unless the other game had such systems.

Your statement in no way reflects the whole of the player base. I would even say yours is the minority.

We need a log in poll in the game. I would bet the overwhelming majority would vote for cross server lfd.

I knew this game wasn't going to have a LFD system when it launched and was understanding of that. That being said, I had no clue how difficult finding a group would be outside of my guild, I trusted Bioware to know what they were doing against my better judgement. Oh well lesson learned.

Edited by Touchbass

I knew this game wasn't going to have a LFD system when it launched and was understanding of that. That being said, I had no clue how difficult finding a group would be outside of my guild, I trusted Bioware to know what they were doing against my better judgement. Oh well lesson learned.

I really don't think its a case of Bioware not wanting to have the tool vs them not knowing how to implement it.

I used to think they didn't add certain things in the game by choice but now I think they lack the ability to add them.

I really don't think its a case of Bioware not wanting to have the tool vs them not knowing how to implement it.

I used to think they didn't add certain things in the game by choice but now I think they lack the ability to add them.

The more i hear BW talk the more i believe its not by choice or lack of ability.

There are far to many duh moments from the devs.

I now think the lack of some tools is from shear lack of knowledge of the mmo market place.

I wonder if the devs have even ever played a mmo. Some of them clearly do not even play their own game. (this from the guild summit when a lead dev didnt even know there was no ready check system in game)

There are just far to many we didnt know the players would statements.

An autogrouping matchmaking system is a pretty basic system. You add records to db when you queue, remove them when you leave the queue or a group is formed; poll the queue table on a schedule to see if you can form a group.

now, making it cross server may have some technical hurdles; those are going to be solved (or mostly solved) when they add cross server pvp though.

incidentally, that's the same path that rift did:

1. single server pvp
  2. single server lfg
  3. cross server pvp
  4. cross server lfg

The more i hear BW talk the more i believe its not by choice or lack of ability.

I now think the lack of some tools is from shear lack of knowledge of the mmo market place.

I wonder if the devs have even ever played a mmo. Some of them clearly do not even play their own game. (this from the guild summit when a lead dev didnt even know there was no ready check system in game)

lol so true.....

Everytime I read a dev post or watch a response, I picture them reading the forums frantically to try and figure out what the hell there game is about before speaking. Probably why we wait so long for responses or don't even get them, because they have to figure out what the hell we are talking about...SOA in EV bugged huh?

I think this is semi true. In that they have expectations of how people will play vs. how people do play. Lets look at the ready check issue. It's a good feature and should be in. It has likely been in in one from or another at various points in the dev cycle. It however didn't make it into release (Ui revisions or just plain missed in assorted changes) now people who play pretty much exclusively with their guild and on vent/TS may not ever have need of a ready check. they just use voice which is quicker anyway.

As for LFG I don't like it. Less from a "It harms the community" perspective and more from a whats the point? perspective.

There are less tanks and healers than DPS so even with cross server wait times for DPS are long. It's not like there is some server where all the tanks and healers play and can't get groups waiting for DPS to log on.

So for no real benefit you put at risk the community building opportunities of in server LFG. Once again the Devs expect you to build robust guilds and friends lists not just spam general chat. If you do so and are not a total tool in the flashpoints you do you'll not have trouble finding groups.

I'm open to cross server.

group missions are instanced...it doesnt really matter where the players come from to get in one.

I dont know anyone from Adam on the server that I'm on now ... I dont know anyone on the other servers either.... so it's moot.

why do I care where someone comes from? At least we got the group going..... that's the plus.

Edited by ArtMonster

I'm open to cross server.

group missions are instanced...it doesnt really matter where the players come from to get in one.

I dont know anyone from Adam on the server that I'm on now ... I dont know anyone on the other servers either.... so it's moot.

why do I care where someone comes from? At least we got the group going..... that's the plus.

You know that heroic quests are not truly instanced in the same way to allow for cross server implementation. Do you know why you can still talk in general chat while inside one of those "instances" because you're not just still part of the server but part of the planet you are on.

ok forget the instance part.

-but-

I still dont care where anyone comes from when I decide to group up .....

if the group is going .... "wheeee !!".

if the group isn't, and we have to spam chat lfg.... "not-so-wheeeee"

I dont really care either way ... I solo mostly ingame.... but I figure, any way to get a group moving faster seems a smart thing to do ....however it's implemented.

I'm not sure why people are against this. Community = spamming LFG channel? Please knock that nonsense off. With a larger pool of players, it's more likely to take less time finding a group for people who don't have time to sit there all day.

I for one is against spamming in general that still doesn't mean what is implemented needs to be cross server. Cross server excludes those who are looking for local group content that isn't instanced.

A guy did up a nice concept check it out in this thread Group Mission Queue (Dungeon Finder) Pane Concept he even included an image of the Concept LFG Tool for us to see.

I for one is against spamming in general that still doesn't mean what is implemented needs to be cross server. Cross server excludes those who are looking for local group content that isn't instanced.

A guy did up a nice concept check it out in this thread Group Mission Queue (Dungeon Finder) Pane Concept he even included an image of the Concept LFG Tool for us to see.

The only issue is without a X-LFD some people will be screwed and left for dead and have to quit the game if re-rolling isn't an option. There needs to be more of a middle path were localized small populations can pool their populations over a cross server and leave the middle and high population servers alone.