Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

here's why we have FPS slow downs and low res textures

Lasse_B

Textures are definitely not 1998 quality. Some one is obviously trying to make a point by exaggerating as much as they can.

Yes the graphics are not as good as Aion but the graphics are better than most MMO's out ATM. Nobody can compete with Aion's graphics atm. Rift tried but failed.

I like the look tbh.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you even alive in 1998? Because I was and .. these textures even if they are not of the highest res available on earth are still Hella good looking. They're like a 1000 times better than anything that was relieved in 1998.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea where people are getting these "1998 textures!" things from. Hell, Jedi Knight came out in 1997, and I can't see textures improving that much in a year's time. Do the textures look good? Yeah. Do they look as good as, say, Mass Effect 3's textures? Not quite. It's to be expected with an MMO, though.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea where people are getting these "1998 textures!" things from. Hell, Jedi Knight came out in 1997, and I can't see textures improving that much in a year's time. Do the textures look good? Yeah. Do they look as good as, say, Mass Effect 3's textures? Not quite. It's to be expected with an MMO, though.

If these graphics are 1998, then WOW is a text based game.

This isn't the sole reason...

1) DX9. GameEngine doesn't support 10+; vista/win7+. Users have received 50-100% fps increase by turning on winxp compatibility mode. Sorry excuse for an engine.

Funny, playing in compatibility mode made absolutely no difference for me on either my desktop or my laptop.

Then again, I don't have FPS issues.

I agree they are not anywhere near 1998. The game looks decent. But it does not even look as good as mmos released in 2008. Its directly related to textures. You load up aoc in dx 9 and you see a massive difference in textures. Both ise cinematic cut scenes. A mmo released 4 years ago looks better and plays smoother has dx10 and runs on a lower system requirements

Game looks like poo. Graphics arent awesome by 2011/2012 standards. DX9 is DX9.

You do have fps issues. So dont tell me you dont. Go to a place where a lot of players are. IE Ilum ops group vs Ilum ops group.

Just because you people avoid populated or large group areas doesnt mean fps slow down doesnt exist. My PC is better than most and taking better care of then most and even I have fps drop on Ilum. Nothing you do will fix it until they can optimize their game.

And since they rushed to launch dont expect them to take any less than a year to optimize their client/engine and everything else.

I agree they are not anywhere near 1998. The game looks decent. But it does not even look as good as mmos released in 2008. Its directly related to textures. You load up aoc in dx 9 and you see a massive difference in textures. Both ise cinematic cut scenes. A mmo released 4 years ago looks better and plays smoother has dx10 and runs on a lower system requirements

What MMO released in 2008, for comparison purposes? I know Phantasy Star Universe looks good, but Old Republic still beats it out in textures, and I think that came out around the same time.

Regardless, textures are stored in your graphics card's memory not your PC's RAM.

Slowdown is directly related to CPU performance, I went from a Athlon 64 x2 4600+ with 4 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 4850 1GB to a Intel Core i5 2500k, with 8 GB of RAM, and the onboard Intel HD 2000 Graphics (still waiting on new video card).

I used to get 10-15 FPS on the Imperial Fleet, I now get 30-40 FPS with an inferior graphics chipset and less video RAM (512 MB dedicated from RAM). The reason is I now have a modern CPU which can handle all the computations of data being sent too and from the server regarding every player.

This is the reason that people get lag, your computer is not having great trouble rendering these people (tho it may be in part) it is having trouble keeping up with the data of where they are what they are wearing how fast they are moving etc. The way SWTOR was designed, a CPU from 2-3 generations back cannot handle this with ease.

Then you care to explain to me why I'm still getting slowdown with a 2600K i7 almost clocked to 5.0ghz? It's not all CPU related, and I refuse to believe it is. I still get slow down, and this was even mentioned by the devs that they even found a reason for it to be happening at seemingly random indoors(caves, etc).

I honestly wish this game used DX11 though. If I can use it in WoW, and how blizzard just released an entire 64-bit client of a 8 year old game...that provides very noticeable FPS improvements(talking 15-20fps) for those with 64 bit machines...I see no reason why bioware can't do it eventually.

Edited by Rodanth_The_Wise

What MMO released in 2008, for comparison purposes? I know Phantasy Star Universe looks good, but Old Republic still beats it out in textures, and I think that came out around the same time.

Age of Conan

Edit: Warhammer also, but I didn't play it long enough to remember how the graphics/performance was compared to TOR.

Edited by ChicksDigHarleys

Age of Conan

Edit: Warhammer also, but I didn't play it long enough to remember how the graphics/performance was compared to TOR.

Alright, I'll have to try that when I upgrade my PC. I did download it once before, but it was giving me trouble on my current PC (it's reeeeeeeeally old.) From what I remember, it did look good, though. Going off memory, I think Old Republic might have been just a tad better, but we all know how memories can be.

If these graphics are 1998, then WOW is a text based game.

I haven't played WoW in 2 or 3 years now, but your statement makes no sense.

WoW now allows for DX11 and has incredibly high-detail textures available (in general gameplay).

While you can certainly make the argument their artistic style is even more stylized and cartoonish than TOR, from a purely technical perspective the rendering capabilities are far superior.

Other than my Video card and 4 gigs of ram my system is around 6 years old.

AMD FX 62

5 gigs of ram (removed on that was bad, causing CTD in game)

Geforce 560 2gigs of ram

2 80 gig 7200 RPM SATA II hard drives in a raid 0 config

Windows Vista

Latest Nvidia Beta Drivers

Only FPS issues I ever have are inside of the imperial fleet when there are over 200 players in there.

Warzones run around 15 to 20 but I don't notice any issues

planets run about 35 to 40

cutsceens will spike to around 100 at times.

Running in Fullscreen (windowed)

1280x720 resolution

All setting set to high including Shadows

Grass and Tress sliders at full as well.

With my system specs you can see why I have a tough time believe all the FPS issues in game is just the game alone.

Other than my Video card and 4 gigs of ram my system is around 6 years old.

AMD FX 62

5 gigs of ram (removed on that was bad, causing CTD in game)

Geforce 560 2gigs of ram

2 80 gig 7200 RPM SATA II hard drives in a raid 0 config

Windows Vista

Latest Nvidia Beta Drivers

Only FPS issues I ever have are inside of the imperial fleet when there are over 200 players in there.

Warzones run around 15 to 20 but I don't notice any issues

planets run about 35 to 40

cutsceens will spike to around 100 at times.

Running in Fullscreen (windowed)

1280x720 resolution

All setting set to high including Shadows

Grass and Tress sliders at full as well.

With my system specs you can see why I have a tough time believe all the FPS issues in game is just the game alone.

umm, these are terrible frame rates. these are exactly frame rate issues. how can you even play the game at 15-20?

i find it rough when my system on occasion drops to 30

Edited by paulgandersman

The game only gives me major fps issues on Ilum and anywhere else I go after Ilum. Ilum kills my fps when those annoying pvp mission update texts popup on the screen and it gets progressively worse until it crashes or I relaunch. If anyone knows how to stop the mission texts I would love to know. My pc is not bad: i7 2700k, 16 gb ram, gtx 560ti, and SSD drive.

Alright, I'll have to try that when I upgrade my PC. I did download it once before, but it was giving me trouble on my current PC (it's reeeeeeeeally old.) From what I remember, it did look good, though. Going off memory, I think Old Republic might have been just a tad better, but we all know how memories can be.

Add Lord of the Rigs Online (which came out in 2007) to the looks and runs better than TOR does category, even in Dx9...Dx10 and DX11 versions blow TOR out of the water. Again, LotRO's character models still look like ***, but the environments are far superior.

Let me add that I don't have any problems running TOR (haven't been to Ilum yet), but this game should run a LOT better than it does, considering all the low rez textures. I get better FPS with AoC and I don't know anyone that claims TOR looks as good or better than AoC.

umm, these are terrible frame rates. these are exactly frame rate issues. how can you even play the game at 15-20?

i find it rough when my system on occasion drops to 30

No issues playing what so ever. Play warzones all the time. no issues at all. level 30 trooper level 21 Valor

Look, someone who understands reality.

Look, someone who understands reality.

Bah, "reality." I reject everyone's reality. That's it - I'm not substituting my own, because I tried that once and ended up rejecting that, too. Bunnies tasted funny in that one. Now, just a big, empty void.

Edit: I'll have to check that one out, too. Not for "I'm going to play it a lot!" but rather, just to see how it looks in comparison.

Edited by Calsetes

IT IS THE GAME ENGINE & CODING!

on my i7-920cpu, 12GigRAM, GTX565tigpu and 30" Monitor (27"side2nd) - and 2nd level up highspeed internet (25m) that I pay extra for (above reg highspeed of 12-16+m)...NOTHING I've ever played, while watching streaming movies on the other monitor, has had problems at MAX graphic settings (even tweaked config settings)...everything always had excellent visuals and fps...

BUT NOT SWTOR! this game won't support DirectX10 or 11, and won't support any max settings while wz or pvp without ridiculous lag and low fps.

it is the old engine BW/EA chose...

enjoy the game as it is, single-player storyline...forget anything significant at level 50...try and endure boring alt repeated mission areas, then ignore them also when they hit 50...it's that simple.

The game only gives me major fps issues on Ilum and anywhere else I go after Ilum. Ilum kills my fps when those annoying pvp mission update texts popup on the screen and it gets progressively worse until it crashes or I relaunch. If anyone knows how to stop the mission texts I would love to know. My pc is not bad: i7 2700k, 16 gb ram, gtx 560ti, and SSD drive.

Quickly tab out and back into game when you notice your FPS dropping, might save you from crashing or having to restart the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.