My experience as a 50 for 3 days

Terrorshard

I just hit 50 and have played for 2 full play sessions (between 3 days). I'd say about 14 hours of playing if I had to estimate totaled between all 3 days. I am a republic vanguard.

I read on the forums warzones would be rough so I was prepared to get annihilated.

Disclaimer: I may have done thing incorrectly, as in buying the wrong gear in wrong order.

So I had a champion bag stashed and 1000 of each comm after I hit 50. I personally decided to skip out on trying to maximize my current crap gear and decided to just try to grind out centurion asap.

I opened my 6 bags: all comms. Darn... but oh well.

This gave me enough to buy 2 pieces of centurion. I bought the centurion chest and pants. I decided a weapon was important, but it is super expensive compared to everything else.

I decided I would save all my champion token to get the champion gun eventually, and hopefully as I go I'll open a token for the weapon and be set.

I proceeded to pick up all my dailies and grind my warzones, some were bad...some were ok.

My strategy was pretty simple, find people I could damage and keep going after them. Avoid anyone who didn't look scratched by me.

Went to ilum and join the ops group and pulled imps as they camped our base. Slowly grinded out the 30 and 150 daily + weekly. Grinded 2x daily and weekly warzone wins.

Long story short I opened 17 bags up until last night right as my play session was ending. No tokens but I did have full centurion. I noticed I was just a few tokens short of getting the champion weapon. I said screw it and grinded out another bag before bed.

Opened my 18th bag and got champion gloves token, nice! Got my champ gun and the gloves, now I am wearing champ gloves, centurion everything else except ear/implants/relics. They are next on the list.

I feel like I am not dead weight anymore, I hit decently hard now. The difference was like night and day, and 'm sitting at about 8% expertise.

I am as casual as they come and I was able to get at least some gear in a timely fashion. It isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be on the forums.

It doesn't take long at all to get up to speed.

TL;DR - It isn't nearly as bad for a fresh 50 as people make it seem. Make sure you have your 6 bags ready at 50.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was expecting weeks of hell. Really the big mistake I made was not upgrading y offhand first. The last bag I opened I got the champ gun then used the centurions to get the centurion offhand. That gave me like 300 more tech power. I played one more warzone and I felt not very gimp at all. Now just need to upgrade the implants and earpiece and I am fairly set.

This is pretty much, word for word my experience. Except Im Sorc. I have full Centurion gear now, on my way to champion. If you plan ahead, get you commendations for when you hit 50 do you dailys and weeklys straight away you will be fine, or a least competative.

I am as casual as they come and I was able to get at least some gear in a timely fashion. It isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be on the forums.

TL;DR - It isn't nearly as bad for a fresh 50 as people make it seem. Make sure you have your 6 bags ready at 50.

Agreed. I hit 50 on my alt a few days back. It was far far easier and quicker to get it up to a 'competent' level of gear than it did on my main. Getting full champ and moving onto BM will still take a while (as it should), but getting up to a level where you can compete is pretty painless.

Yeah my Sorc when it hit 50 I was was decked out in Centurion at minimum in 2 days. I had my Champion Weapon, Offhand, Relic, and Helmet in 4 days. It is a lot better now and Centurion Gear actually has a purpose. Edited by Ayestes

I've opened : 6 On dinging 50, 10 atleast upon doing first set of daily/weeklies on monday. Then another 10 atleast on tuesday. Then 6 more bags minimum monday to friday, in total I've opened atleast 30 bags and haven't recieved a single item just comms. Just checked, its 34 bags and no items. I'm Valor 53 and I'm starting to hit the wall. I wish there were more ways to get the bags, only 3 warzones get tiresome very quickly. Also theres like no PvE groups on my server, so I find myself playing less and less lol. I had teh stupid RNG system in this game, not had luck on any class so far.

I had the same experience this week other than I just had ~5 bags read to go at 50. Got the 4-5 cheapest and slot upgrades I could get with those and a few more farmed bags and I am up to 6% expertise after 2 days. Doing a little bit of prep work in the upper 40's saves much frustration on the bracket change. A huge gap is two fold with its effects on offense and defense. Edited by vartius

Agreed. I hit 50 on my alt a few days back. It was far far easier and quicker to get it up to a 'competent' level of gear than it did on my main. Getting full champ and moving onto BM will still take a while (as it should), but getting up to a level where you can compete is pretty painless.

I guess we have different gaming backgrounds, I hate the fact it takes so long to get gear and would much rather the focus be on player abilities than gear. I would much rather grind a couple of days and get everything, than spread it out over a month. I'm used to playing DAOC, where by the time you hit 50 you were full geared out, then you focused on realm ranks. Player skill had a much larger part in the outcome, opposed to gear.

I just hit 50 and have played for 2 full play sessions (between 3 days). I'd say about 14 hours of playing if I had to estimate totaled between all 3 days. I am a republic vanguard.

I read on the forums warzones would be rough so I was prepared to get annihilated.

Disclaimer: I may have done thing incorrectly, as in buying the wrong gear in wrong order.

So I had a champion bag stashed and 1000 of each comm after I hit 50. I personally decided to skip out on trying to maximize my current crap gear and decided to just try to grind out centurion asap.

This gave me enough to buy 2 pieces of centurion. I bought the centurion chest and pants. I decided a weapon was important, but it is super expensive compared to everything else.

I decided I would save all my champion token to get the champion gun eventually, and hopefully as I go I'll open a token for the weapon and be set.

I proceeded to pick up all my dailies and grind my warzones, some were bad...some were ok.

My strategy was pretty simple, find people I could damage and keep going after them. Avoid anyone who didn't look scratched by me.

Went to ilum and join the ops group and pulled imps as they camped our base. Slowly grinded out the 30 and 150 daily + weekly. Grinded 2x daily and weekly warzone wins.

Long story short I opened 17 bags up until last night right as my play session was ending. No tokens but I did have full centurion. I noticed I was just a few tokens short of getting the champion weapon. I said screw it and grinded out another bag before bed.

Opened my 18th bag and got champion gloves token, nice! Got my champ gun and the gloves, now I am wearing champ gloves, centurion everything else except ear/implants/relics. They are next on the list.

I feel like I am not dead weight anymore, I hit decently hard now. The difference was like night and day, and 'm sitting at about 8% expertise.

Well said, sir. I've been saying the same thing all along. As an Ex-hardcore player with a family and life that's now relegated to being casual - Getting geared up even with no expertise is a joke if you know how to play your class.

If you're new to the genre, or haven't really learned that you have you use every skill you're given in PVP then it may be hard to get geared up, because you're losing constantly.

Losing isn't tied to your expertise rating, it's tied to your knowledge of the class you're playing. If you know what you're doing over time your win/loss rate will sit around 50% at the very least, assuming you're queuing with PUGs. Queuing with a team should boost your win rating significantly.

Centurion gear sucks, but it sure is better than the old system if you weren't lucky.

My alt is currently sitting at 0/33 for Champ Bags. Weeeeee!

I have you beat!

I wish they would just remove the ability to get items altogether from them and up the rewards more. Annoying when you hear some people get lots and others get nothing.

Good post, mirrors my experience. When I hit 50 I didn't even have the 1000 comms, as I didn't plan ahead. But I've been toughing it out getting what I can and knowing that I'll be getting better. It doesn't take much take actually to get Cent gear and that helps alot. So I just do my dailies and enjoy life, while progressing up the tree.

Centurion gear sucks, but it sure is better than the old system if you weren't lucky.

My alt is currently sitting at 0/33 for Champ Bags. Weeeeee!

It isn't great but it is fine as a gap closer. Now I can at least contribute. I feel like I can actually hurt people now.

Well said, sir. I've been saying the same thing all along. As an Ex-hardcore player with a family and life that's now relegated to being casual - Getting geared up even with no expertise is a joke if you know how to play your class.

If you're new to the genre, or haven't really learned that you have you use every skill you're given in PVP then it may be hard to get geared up, because you're losing constantly.

Losing isn't tied to your expertise rating, it's tied to your knowledge of the class you're playing. If you know what you're doing over time your win/loss rate will sit around 50% at the very least, assuming you're queuing with PUGs. Queuing with a team should boost your win rating significantly.

Also, having folks to run around with helps out. This could be a guild or an organized Ops team on Ilum. That makes life a little easier.

I've opened : 6 On dinging 50, 10 atleast upon doing first set of daily/weeklies on monday. Then another 10 atleast on tuesday. Then 6 more bags minimum monday to friday, in total I've opened atleast 30 bags and haven't recieved a single item just comms. Just checked, its 34 bags and no items. I'm Valor 53 and I'm starting to hit the wall. I wish there were more ways to get the bags, only 3 warzones get tiresome very quickly. Also theres like no PvE groups on my server, so I find myself playing less and less lol. I had teh stupid RNG system in this game, not had luck on any class so far.

Just be glad you are getting champ commedations. Battlemaster is the same luck for some people without getting any chance at BM gear. They should have made it so that each bag opened gave BM commedations + champ commedations, and then gear cost the same as champion works now

I dont think thats the case in this game, the gear really does make a big difference. Less about player skill more about gear.

yeah new 50's really should not be complaining at all. Im valor 56, still missing 4 boots,gloves,chest and my mainhand(should get it this weekend). I do have like 500 centurion commendations though.

Same issue. I was at valor lvl 50 when they made the change. Now I have 300 cent adn not enough champ to buy my weapon. Kind of got screwed. Oh well... I just log on tp do my daily and weekly and then I play my alt.

I dont think thats the case in this game, the gear really does make a big difference. Less about player skill more about gear.

^^^THIS^^^

The gear gap between new 50's and BM's makes it impossible for fresh 50's to stand toe to toe. You can blow up other fresh 50's but you might as well alt tab out when a BM destroys you while shrugging off your damage.

Gear as an insentive is a horrible idea for PVP. It completely removes Player skill and instead promotes long hours of play. As everyone in this thread has said so far it took them around 14 to 15 hours of play to get full centurion gear. For a lot of people thats the amount they play in an entire week, and thats only if you can stand being a punching bag for that long.

Can't wait for GW2 and some real skill based PVP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.