Server forums?

Vandrel-Blitz

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/signed

We REALLY need server forums, badly. The community wont be as fun without em :(

What community? The bunch of people you occasionally see running around? The rare occasions when people actually use chat to talk to each other?

My guild tend to be heavily into RvR. RvR (realm versus realm, open world pvp) tends to require people from multiple guilds working together and coordinating things. In SW:TOR, I don't even know what other guilds on my server actually DO world PVP, there are no lines of communication, there's nothing.

And let's talk about guild recruiting... we're lucky, we are a multi game guild, sopeople we've played with for years in other games come over to join the fun. But new members? I refuse to go spamming in General, we have zero intention of becoming the next zerg guild. But the guild hall forums are a disaster area. And without server forums, there's really no way to profile ourselves on our own server.

At this point, I think we'll stay a few months to play the different class stories, then move en masse to Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World. There's more fish in the sea, Bioware. We're not back in the days when there were 3 MMO to choose from.

Dont need any realm forums. They quickly turn into sewers where the sane stay well away and the company gets a nightmare to manage. Want to recruit? Gee general on the space station migth be a good place to start? Or the guilds forum? Even if people might have to scroll SEVERAL PAGES before finding some guild they want to apply to.

Dont need any realm forums. They quickly turn into sewers where the sane stay well away and the company gets a nightmare to manage. Want to recruit? Gee general on the space station migth be a good place to start? Or the guilds forum? Even if people might have to scroll SEVERAL PAGES before finding some guild they want to apply to.

Heh. Recruiting in general... sure. Such a blessing. We all just loooove seeing endless streams of recruitment spam in general. /sarcasm off

And speaking as a guild leader of 8 years' experience: recruiting in general/global/channel 1 is something you only resort to under very specific conditions:

- your game is dying, and you want to make sure those new players you still get, get the most help you can give them so they're likelier to stay

- you don't care who or what you get, as long as you get numbers

Personally, I DO care about who's in the guild. We've got a good reputation throughout the games we've played, and we'd like to keep it that way. So yeah, I vastly prefer it if people have a chance to read up on us, look at our guild rules, think about it and then apply.

As to server forums turning into sewers: frankly, as long as there's moderation (either by the game company or by volunteer moderators) that just doesn't happen. I've seen worse going on in e.g. Aion and AOC general chat than I've ever seen in server forums.

Edited by Broom

I've seen server forums turn to sewers only as a result of the server community dying - not as the cause. The "calling out" and other such posts that bother some people are just the nature of a competition-oriented population. It is usually complemented and balanced by other content on the forum of a good healthy server community.

Is this really true... or was it just true for a few games? I've only played two other MMOs and one this was sort of true and the other is wasn't the case at all (sure there was an occasional troll, but it was rare and usually reported by the community and the thread was deleted). I just get the feeling people are assuming it will be a cesspool before it's even had a chance.

guilds who recruit in general are generally considered the bottom feeders of MMO. only a total noob would even consider joining a guild who advertises that way.

t-minus-8 days.

I'm sure no one is hinging on my count down clock, but there it is anyways.

it's ironic that SWTOR gets so much of its following from a die hard SWG community that hoped SWTOR would be the game to save Star Wars in a MMO. SWG was a game that had little to no story, little to no content.. in fact, the only truly memorable aspects of the game was the really powerful crafting system, and a truly robust player community.

player cities, guild wars, player generated events (i still remember the epic story we had on our server forum on ahazi, of a galactic struggle, and the devs following the storyline, ending up with a totally 1-off landing of an imperial shuttle to arrest a rebel (player).

that's simply not present here in SWTOR.

I don't expect the same level of dev participation in player community here, but this seems to be the opposite end of the spectrum. the dev disconnect from the community is staggering. their silence is deafening.

maybe it's just too much to ask for a MMO that has both content and community.

oh wait.. that DOES exist. WoW..

Edited by oredith

well, this is interesting.. not directly related, but does get back to the idea of community.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1422167#edit1422167

didn't BW say that they didn't want cross server pvp / lfg in order to create a greater sense of community within the server?

I guess now they're not even paying lip service to wanting a server community, they're just going to downright ignore it completely.

forever sad. :(

I agree with Oredith. BW are you TRYING to kill any semblance of community in this game? No server forums, now cross server queues. If I want a community full of jackholes with zero accountability Ill play WoW.

Some of us, if not most of us have waited for YEARS for this game. You dropped the ball with the server forums and are kicking it down the street into the front yard with the 3 pit bulls on chains. THINK about what we are asking for before you can't get it back.

What ever happen to good customer service? We the customer have asked for server forums, and what do we get. NADA. Really? Really?

Makes no sense to me. The good news is there are other games coming out, might have to take my $ 15.00 per month somewhere else

Edited by Johnnyheat

Vandrel you rock and I am 100% in support of Bioware sponsored server forums. If they don't get their act together soon I will be purchasing a domain and starting forums for The Bastion West coast PVP server.

don't bother, there's already at least 5 different player created forums that have all servers, and each one of them suffer the same problem that your own would no doubt also suffer.

lack of traffic.

take swtorowned for instance. definitely the most widely publicized, and by all accounts, very enthusiastic group of mods/supporters, but even with today's update of 200 users and 1000 posts, going to the forum shows that there's no much going on, and definitely nothing going on on my own server.

don't bother, there's already at least 5 different player created forums that have all servers, and each one of them suffer the same problem that your own would no doubt also suffer.

lack of traffic.

take swtorowned for instance. definitely the most widely publicized, and by all accounts, very enthusiastic group of mods/supporters, but even with today's update of 200 users and 1000 posts, going to the forum shows that there's no much going on, and definitely nothing going on on my own server.

Post something then. :p Don't leave me hangin, bro!

Add in another vote for official server forums.

I applaud the fact that many have taken initiative and created player-ran forums, but the bulk of SWTOR forum goers will not use them as can be seen by the fact that they're all ghost towns.

Bioware needs to step up and provide server specific boards for everyone to use. I frequently would visit server forums when joining a new MMO (new to me, not new in its life, necessarily) to get a sense of what each servers community was like, and pick a server to play on accordingly.

Post something then. :p Don't leave me hangin, bro!

I don't think you and I need another medium where we can talk to each other without having to open the door to see each other face to face.. :p guild chat/facebook/text message is probably too much already.. :p