Server forums?

Vandrel-Blitz

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, the thing is, I don't want to use unofficial forums. >.< I want "official" forums. Might sound snotty, but I shouldn't have to be driven to an outside source for something that should already be provided to me. Plus, the official forums will get more traffic than unofficial ones.

Meh, the thing is, I don't want to use unofficial forums. >.< I want "official" forums. Might sound snotty, but I shouldn't have to be driven to an outside source for something that should already be provided to me. Plus, the official forums will get more traffic than unofficial ones.

More importantly, unofficial forums are a lot harder to find for a lot of people.

If you are playing on The Fatman, join us at http://TheFatmanSWTOR.com

We are all about PVP and we are looking to build a great community. Hope to see you there soon.

You do know we cheated, right? I mean look how many of us on The Fatman already knew each other from SWG.

Tell Heat 'gank you later' and say hi to Rose for me!

=)

Linna Baresi

<Fated>

<Rival>

1. Click a Link in my Signature
  2. If you register be sure to add Duranu in the Referred by spot :D
  3. Start posting in your server forums to help get them started or participate on many of the other forums starting so far
  4. Profit

This is why we need official forums.

I will not support an unknown person who pops out of the blue and is using an unknown host or forum base. On top of that, for the community, dont put adds on the forums but let people contribute.

Use Google+ and/or Facebook until we have a good way for the community to congregate in a place that is not suspect and offers us more security than simply saying. Come here. Its all good.

Just my opinion. Flame on.

Dang!

Over 35,000 views and almost 800 post, seems to me "Supply and Demand" is in full effect.

Please keep letting BW know you would like "Official" server forums and if you want to be extra nice BW you can add sub-server forums for each server. (Because you like your customers)

official serverforums is a MUST to make a good and fun community on a server. unofficial server forums will never work. I was really surprised there were no serverforums at launch and im still surprised its still not implented.

official serverforums is a MUST to make a good and fun community on a server. unofficial server forums will never work.

I'm not sure "never" is accurate. I've played 2 successful MMOs that had unofficial forums that were as or more popular than the official forums. In EQ1 did not have official forums and there was plenty of forum communities both for each server, guild as well as guide websites like lores or wikis. EQ2 had EQ2Flames which was and still is very popular for EQ2 players.

I'm not sure "never" is accurate. I've played 2 successful MMOs that had unofficial forums that were as or more popular than the official forums. In EQ1 did not have official forums and there was plenty of forum communities both for each server, guild as well as guide websites like lores or wikis. EQ2 had EQ2Flames which was and still is very popular for EQ2 players.

i think the difference is time - and expectation.

15 years ago, not all cars had airbags, but try selling a car now that doesn't at least have driver side airbag.

what was once optional equipment, is/has become standard equipment.

EQ1 was a very very early trend setter for MMO, and didn't see the type of MMO community that has grown over the years. If there's a good reason to not have server forums, I have yet to see it.

the one given by BW is just pure bull.

This is why we need official forums.

I will not support an unknown person who pops out of the blue and is using an unknown host or forum base. On top of that, for the community, dont put adds on the forums but let people contribute.

Use Google+ and/or Facebook until we have a good way for the community to congregate in a place that is not suspect and offers us more security than simply saying. Come here. Its all good.

Just my opinion. Flame on.

I agree with you to a large degree; what you quoted was done in a manner that wasn't well thought out in terms of perceived reception.

As for Facebook and Google+... just NO. Not me anyway. I've deleted my Facebook account after a friend got hacked, which in turn got me hacked... took me a month to get 500 Euro back from Paypal. The privacy there is non-existent.

And no, I'm not doing G+ either... lessons learned.

Until there's an official server forum, I'll be using the one in my signature. After a week being there, my only complaint would be moderators should be a familiar voice. There's no need to rush moderation privileges until the report post button starts getting used on a frequent basis.

However, everyone seems friendly enough. There's conversation on a large variety of topics in SWTOR, and in the Cantina (off topic). Moderators are getting familiar with the website features while the population is increasing. It's growing into a community, and so far, I like it enough to stay until official server forums are launched.

Happy hunting, and thanks for the attention given to getting official server forums. :cool:

i think the difference is time - and expectation.

15 years ago, not all cars had airbags, but try selling a car now that doesn't at least have driver side airbag.

what was once optional equipment, is/has become standard equipment.

EQ1 was a very very early trend setter for MMO, and didn't see the type of MMO community that has grown over the years. If there's a good reason to not have server forums, I have yet to see it.

the one given by BW is just pure bull.

Explain EQ2? They have an active official forum that is quite adequate, yet many players gravitate towards EQ2Flames. I agree that there should be official server forums, but to state that the community would never work is not entirely accurate.

Explain EQ2? They have an active official forum that is quite adequate, yet many players gravitate towards EQ2Flames. I agree that there should be official server forums, but to state that the community would never work is not entirely accurate.

i don't need to explain it, because i don't dispute it (i wasn't the one that stated the post you quoted).

however, my belief is that they are successful due to the availability to spin off the main forum.

the main forum is, in essence, a spring board for people with other greater common interest that they found they want a tighter bond over - in much the same way that people have guild forums, or, like http://www.ahazi.org - one of the spin off sites from SWG where the ahazi server people congregated during SWG, and stayed together well after NGE.

i believe that official vs. unofficial is not a chicken / egg scenario, but rather, one that has a definite direction. official servers must exist, in order for unofficial ones to thrive.

Edited by oredith

i don't need to explain it, because i don't dispute it (i wasn't the one that stated the post you quoted).

however, my belief is that they are successful due to the availability to spin off the main forum.

the main forum is, in essence, a spring board for people with other greater common interest that they found they want a tighter bond over - in much the same way that people have guild forums, or, like http://www.ahazi.org - one of the spin off sites from SWG where the ahazi server people congregated during SWG, and stayed together well after NGE.

i believe that official vs. unofficial is not a chicken / egg scenario, but rather, one that has a definite direction. official servers must exist, in order for unofficial ones to thrive.

And you are stating that because MMOs and MMO communities have evolved, that what happened with EQ1 with little to no official forums would not happen in this case?

And you are stating that because MMOs and MMO communities have evolved, that what happened with EQ1 with little to no official forums would not happen in this case?

exactly, actually.

because expectation has changed.

Back then, if you looked at the MMO for sale in a game shop, it would be EQ and UO. MMO were strictly for geeks, as was the internet. 500K subs was considered awesome, a record that would probably never be broken.

Different times, different audience. MMO have become a LOT more mainstream, 70 year old grannies are on the internet, and there's so many forums out there it's nuts. Where it was once easy to find THE forum to be for a game that had none of it's own, now there's so many choices even the experienced get lost. Basically what could become a community, is likely going to be scattered. Official server forums are much easier to find, are the first thing people will look for, and thus make it all a lot more focussed.

Good news, swtorowned.com set up server forums

http://www.swtorowned.com/eu-server-forums/

http://www.swtorowned.com/us-server-forums/

-jarcus

i'm not going to dis any of the "privateer" forums because the bottom line is that they're all going above and beyond what BW should have done, so in my book, they're all saints already.

however, the will all suffer from the same problem - they're not the official server. how do you pick between x-y-and z unofficial forums? post traffic?

take a look at hogafett's link in his sig. at first glance, it looks like there's some traffic, and then you take a closer look, and you realize that the are self-populated posts from the forum itself.

exactly, actually.

because expectation has changed.

I understand. I do expect new MMOs to have a fairly standard forum set which is lacking here, but I have always gravitated towards unofficial forums anyway as they tend to have more information pertinent to my gaming experience and not the cookie cutter stuff.

Typically official forums are where the Devs do some interaction and announcements and unofficial forums is more where strategies, guild progression and tighter knit communities are made.

Back then, if you looked at the MMO for sale in a game shop, it would be EQ and UO. MMO were strictly for geeks, as was the internet. 500K subs was considered awesome, a record that would probably never be broken.

Different times, different audience. MMO have become a LOT more mainstream, 70 year old grannies are on the internet, and there's so many forums out there it's nuts. Where it was once easy to find THE forum to be for a game that had none of it's own, now there's so many choices even the experienced get lost. Basically what could become a community, is likely going to be scattered. Official server forums are much easier to find, are the first thing people will look for, and thus make it all a lot more focussed.

They are easier to find, but I find that players will gravitate to other forum communities where they can learn things and communicate in ways that may not be available in an official forum setting. There will still be people that are fine with official forums, but the fun is really in unofficial forums. ;)

i'm not going to dis any of the "privateer" forums because the bottom line is that they're all going above and beyond what BW should have done, so in my book, they're all saints already.

however, the will all suffer from the same problem - they're not the official server. how do you pick between x-y-and z unofficial forums? post traffic?

take a look at hogafett's link in his sig. at first glance, it looks like there's some traffic, and then you take a closer look, and you realize that the are self-populated posts from the forum itself.

You have to start somewhere. As the community grows, you gain more and more recognition and eventually traffic gets very busy. We can sit here and complain to BW for something they do not seem to be willing to provide to us, or we can create our own communities and make our gaming experience what it should be.