Warning: Do not play a melee if you want to have post 50.

JonnyLoveMachine

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a 50 melee and for the most part I do just fine.

I've also run across many Sages/Sorcs and Commandos/Mercs who are awful and just stand there and let me wail on them.

Bad players will be bad regardless of what they play, and good players will always do well.

now imagine that you have no sprint and no charge... yup welcome to the world of dps operatives.

Welcome to the world of OPERATIVES period. OP healing is worse... Medical Therapy is broken, meaning we're less powerful than intended already (compared to our mirror class) AND the recent Surge nerf removed our only viable spec-ing option, meaning we now need Crit / Power, which doesn't exist (gearing forces Alacrity and Surge on us...)

People are mocking the OP... but he's painfully correct, at least from the perspective of Operatives. Our initial viability (at pre-launch) came from abusing Adrenals / Relics and CDs simultaneously in burst mode (Concealment) and our healing viability came from a PVP environment where damage was minimal due to how fast people died, combined with most people not being 50 (meaning the healing imbalance as not as drastic).

At 50, Operative healers are unplayable, they are carried by stronger healing classes, and while the PLAYER might be brought to Nightmare modes because they're good, their CLASS is poor and they would do better, as the same Player, with a different class.

While I can't comment on Powertech, Mara, Jugg, etc... DPS in melee, the OP mDPS situation is quite bad in PVE... it's definitely the lowest class on the totem pole, as far as viability.

Despite how the OP said it theres no denying the disadvantage melee has. PVE wise the solution would be to have some fight favor melee. PVP wise would be to give melee a way to escape instances where they are getting ganged up on which shadow and i believe IA have but than again the warfront themselves are poorly designed and there have been times in pvp where two sides are lined up ranged attacking each other and ganging on the melees that come too close

Oh you mean the 15 second CD one that if ANYONE blows a knockback any where near you.. you are now on the floor. Then you have 15 seconds to get back to them, which completely negates your resolve bar so they can do it again to you. You mean that one?

You use Charge before Knockback? And you cannot specc into 2 charges? Really? :rolleyes:

now imagine that you have no sprint and no charge... yup welcome to the world of dps operatives.

If only they had Stealth, Vanish and long lasting opener CC with good burst damage from stealth. If only.

Oh wait...

Edited by Vales

Melee do just fine in warzones. Is it more difficult than ranged dps? Sure. But its still fun, rewarding and you can do just as much DPS as ranged people.

On ilum, its a bit harder. You'll probably be blown to bits before you get near the enemy zerg.

In operations and flashpoints, melee definitely have a disadvantage. We take more AoE damage than ranged which makes it harder. But, you can overcome it and melee classes bring some utility that ranged don't so it is still worth bringing them.

On the other hand, stacking melee in pvp is awesome. Ranged classes generally panic when they get melee in their face and start running, so having most of your team as melee is great! All charge, enemy flees, you win! This is exactly the same as stacking all ranged where the ranged guys just nuke the melee before they get there.

<<58 valor operative, played op for 2 months in closed beta.

I do not even do PVE and I am on a PVE server. My guild may need me once week when other better classes are not on and I go. If I pst someone LF DPS for a HM 95% of the time I get ignored when I tell them my class spec OP/Concel.

So what do I do in this game I waited years to play?

I PVP which I enjoy but it's all I can really do. Oh and try and level. ALT.

PVE operations i consistently run out of energy on trash mobs trying to keep up with other classes, can not use stealth attacks much (NO Sprint) so get left behind if you try and stealth normally.

Boss fights same issues as other melee classes, you get hit by aoe and have to position correctly and stop dps when aoe comes. While range classes continue DPS which is equal to my DPS if not better due to energy issues and position issues.

Being the only melee in a 8 man raid was no surprise as they need to do (Special) things for you like guard and more heals then others.

I sign this thread if you want to do PVE DPS at level 50 you better roll one of the 3 ranged dps classes.

OP goes at it the wrong way but he is correct. I leveled an assassin to 50. Did all the easy mode OPS and had no complaints. Then when trying to do HM's I was constantly ignored when whispering someone my class. My guild finally caught up to my gear level so I was able to do HM's. But I am the only melee. And I'm sure if another range was as geared as me I wouldn't be going even with them and I completely understand. Lets go over a few examples.

1st boss EV. During his missle barrage range can still DPS, because healers can heal them while they still hide. Eventually once you get a geared enough healer that its easy mode everyone can stay out. Its also easier for range to get behind a pillar since they are already near them anyway while dpsing.

2nd boss EV. Garg is about to pounce, nuff said. Garg is in a frenzy. Melee has to leave island immediately. Range can stay and do some extra dps till the last second.

3rd and 4th easy mode.

SOA. Beside for mind traps during phase 3 sometimes leaving you way too far from SOA during phase 3, pretty balanced.

1st boss KP. Soo much easier if all ranged. Everyone can stand far and spread out. Melee has to watch out for his constant turning around, and his amazing 380 degree(exaggeration) swipe.

2nd boss KP. Pretty balanced. Guy flies in the air, which is pretty irritating. I know theres some extra damage melee takes though once both bosses are in the middle of room.

3rd boss KP. Balanced only because its soo simple. Tank and spank with frenzy and adds.

4th boss KP. OMG. If you have more than 1 melee on this fight its pretty much GG for the raid. Have fun having one melee run from boss to puzzle every 30 secs through those retarded pulse mines then back to boss to dps for about 10 secs, then back to platform almost dying on every trip. Only time I have done this as the second melee is with a sorc healer(best healer in game didn't ya know) using pull on me to get me up these asap.

Karagga is decent though.

The problem with this game is that melee brings almost no utility to the table, while also being squishier and in some cases lower dps. What utility does an assassin bring over a sorcerer dps? What about a concealment OP? The only melee that should ever be brought to a OP is a marauder/sentinel. Since they have inspiration/bloodthirst. And I'm not even sure about that because I only think the spell works on like the 4 people near the marauder. So he would have to back up to the range DPSers just to do it.

Melee needs a buff. All abilities that scale from weapon damage needs to have their weapon damage scale % increased. Pretty simple and effective way to buff melee.

Examples? Some trees are melee with some ranged capabilities, but no AC has a full melee AND full ranged talent tree option.

Powertech does, actually.

Advanced Prototype gets most of it's damage from 10m and 4m skills.

However, Pyrotech's staple attack has 30m range (Rail shot), and they can afford to avoid melee range if needed and keep back (moving in to 10m for Flame Burst to keep the burning going/proc rail shots)

Whether 10m is safe depends on who you're fighting, but you can duck into 10m when using skills that need it and then slip out while you fire stuff like DFA, Rail Shot, Thermal Detonator, etc.

Edited by Randomness

You will be punished for it later after 50.

WZ: You will be a human ping pong in every BG. You might be able to take a caster here and there but that is only 1v1.

PVE: You will not be taken to ANY end game content as you are just a liability due to terrible mechanics that punish melee.

Other problems with this pile:

IA Nerf with out fixing their sustainability.

Water Nerf with out giving Non Hybrid classes a decent out of combat heal that doesn't break on dot damage.

Leaving combat in a WZ with no one around you is LOL.

Huttball HORRIBLY designed for ANY melee to play in.

Let's talk about the RESOLVE BAR THAT DOESNT WORK. Yup.. full resolve.. np.. enjoy the free knock back or stun.

TLDR: SWTOR = F2P in less than 6 months. Once they realize all they have left is Sorc/Sages + Merc / Comm's + Tank classes. Amazing how terrible this game continues to be. You had 2 months start fixing it. All you have done is made stuff worse.

The problem is in the last 2 months they have done nothing but nerf things with out actually fixing any of the problems. That is where the disappointment comes in. I don't mind a new game lacking features and bugs. What I do mind is the lack of foresight on their part when they do changes. It just shows me their dev team either has a dart board or they have no idea what they are doing.

INC BIOFAIL FANBOI BRIDGADE - All because they haven't hit 50 yet and have seen how broken the end game is.

Before L2P PVP - Pics are included from no less than an hour ago. All top PVP'ers on our server. Notice where I rank. I can kill these guys 1v1 most of the time. But I can't equal them in group combat.

Pics of my PVP:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2zi0nsk.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/35iq6h2.jpg

Pic of what the Game is about to become:

http://i41.tinypic.com/35k0hg3.png

/flamesuit on

challenging isnt it? A game where you cant just macro your way through :p should i say it? yeah i should.... ffs learn to play your class!!!! Hurts doesnt it? Realizing your not the world best player :p keep practicing though then maybe one day you will rise to the occasion. Good luck with that

melee are a novelty class in this game, have fun twirling around your sabers then get back to the serious classes, i knew melee would be big stinkers in this game when i read that ranged classes can do amazing healing and have a crap ton of CC and instant attacks/damage all wraped up into one little neat package during beta

its a concious decision that bioware needed to make so the game wouldnt be 95% darth tards and luke skywankers, believe me sith sorcs are no where as popular as darth maul and the like people only play sorcs because they are overpowered

Clearly you have never seen a sentinel/marauder do force leap onto one of your teammates and gain an immense advantage. Or, ever seen how they can run straight through a fire trap if they press their -50%hp for -99% damage button?

That particular melee class has to be the best ball carrier class I've seen.

Any sent/mar who blows the CD on GbtF to do this is fail. The level of wasted utility here is indescribable.

And melee suck? Not if you l2p your class:

Edited by Valketh

currently rerolling a GS

melee just get *********** owned in WZs. its a *********** sorcerer/sage fest. they all camp up on the bridges and **** and if you try to attack you they just wtfpunt you off every time.

i am rerolling to a ranged class. but i refuse to play the scrubtasticness that is sorcerer or mercenary

if only bioware made this game equal. or at least made some ranged classes that arent total cheese

tbh i dont know if i have the energy to level to 50 again. most likely just let the sub run out.

Any sent/mar who blows the CD on GbtF to do this is fail. The level of wasted utility here is indescribable.

And melee suck? Not if you l2p your class:

lmao look at the gear discrepancies in that video

he doesnt even bother kicking the tracer missile spam because its not even making a dent in his health. the BH chains 4-5 missiles in a row and the dude is still at 95%

this is what happens when you're full BM after 1 week because you level capped before early access even finished and then abused ilum to rank up.

thats not an accurate representation of the actual game

Hello everyone!

We appreciate feedback, both positive and negative. However, we do ask that that feedback is constructive. This post goes into more detail about what we're looking for in feedback and how to make sure your feedback is constructive and helpful.

With that in mind, we're going to go ahead and close the thread. If you have suggestions for the game, we have a fantastic thread for suggestion lists and a forum for specific suggestions, the Suggestion Box. We encourage you to continue your discussion in one of these locations.

Thank you for understanding and helping us make sure that the forums are as constructive and helpful as possible!