Worlds/sations are too static

Alianar

Honestly i love the worlds for their design. They do feel death however and they are a couple of reasons to it :

- NPC's are too static. They don't move around, they don't do anything. They just stand there.

- Lack of wilderness. yes we have the occasional Tauntaun, but that's not enough.

- No weather-Day/night cycle.

- Social hubs are anti-social : Cantina's are there but nothing to do in them. You can't even sit on a chair. Even the NPC's look like they are bored to death.

- Not much to interact with : No chairs, no Holochess. It's the look but don't touch policy

- Fleet station : Nothing to do there. Sure it's crowded because that's where you go get your daylies, collect your loot, and search for a group. But these are the only reasons you stay there. How about a duel area, a training dummy or a mini-game like the Holochess? People just stand there like zombies. Give them something to do while they wait for the last tank/heal. It would bring some life to this dead space hole.

- Ambiant sound is lacking : A simple exemple. I am on Hoth. Shouldn't there be the sound of wind blowing? No animal sounds or crowd sound? Agreed, you can come across some NPC to NPC open conversation and most of them are actually funny, but that's not part of "ambiant sound". Do a little test : Turn off the game's music and just walk around and see how very silent the busy streets of Nar shaddaa are.

Little things bioware, little things. But when they add up, it becomes a big problem. Again, i love the world for their Designs. The sight of that broken bridge on Alderaan was jaw breaking. But despite all this splendor, it feels empty.

Note that i am not talking about player population here. These worlds are very sandboxy afterall, so it's hard to get a whole planet crowded with players all over the place even on High population servers. That's not something i can't blame BW for as you will have that in any MMo that chooses to go for BIG open worlds.

However, they are single player games out there that make you feel like you were walking in a real living world. This is what ToR is seriously lacking.

This isn't the first thread about the issue, but hey... I am at work and my boss is stuck in traffic, so i needed to kill time :D

Edited by Alianar

I don't feel like writing a long post so yea I agree. There is so much that needs to be done especially since there is no variety when leveling an alt and I must follow the same progression it's even mroe frustrating.

Well to be fair, it's better than in most MMo's. But i agree.

It actually feels weird that as a Sith Warrior my story takes me to the exact location my BH went before and in the same order mind you :p

But honestly leveling an alt is not as frustrating as in some other MMo's. In ToR's case i log on my main, do my dailies or FP/operation. Before going to bed i do my Ship daylies and some pvp and i have leveled up from 17 to 35 Just like this. Only doing story quests when i had to appropriate level. Works for me anyway, at least i don't have to go through all those quest over again and i can just have fun with space missions.

I would have waited the extra year that BioWare needed to finish this game.

Yeah i also feel like this game was rushed to it's release. Guess EA's marketing advisor is to blame for that (though it was a good date indeed).

Still i think that an other 4-5 months would have been enough to add the little things it still needs and of course correct the bugs mostly present in operation, pvp, and FP's.

It isnt. Happy now?

The worlds could still use more interaction, youknow like other Theme Park games have.

I think it is. Or maybe my definition of sandbox isn't accurate.

To me a sandbox world is when you can look at mountain and say "Hey, i wonder what's up there" and just jump from rock to rock to get there and enjoy the view. That's something you can do in ToR, but you can't do it in AoC, FF11, and GW 1 (Corridors and invisible walls force you on a single path)

Sure, the planets aren't directly connected to each other.

You have to take you're ship, load screen, and choose a planet, load screen again. But each planet is big enough to be a sandbox of it's own. That's what i feel about it anyway. I hate the loading times in this game but once i am on a planet i don't have any and i can spend hours or days on that same planet.

Edited by Alianar

I think it is. Or maybe my definition of sandbox isn't accurate.

To me a sandbox world is when you can look at mountain and say "Hey, i wonder what's up there" and just jump from rock to rock to get there and enjoy the view. That's something you can do in ToR, but you can't do it in AoC, FF11, and GW 1 (Corridors and invisible walls force you on a single path)

Everyone always ends up arguing about the definition of sandbox, but mostly people think of it as freedom of playstyle rather than freedom to explore a level. MMOs defined as sandbox are often set up to be virtual societies as much as games, where players perform roles such as crafter, industralist, courier, trader, dictator, bandit, pirate, soldier, spy, thief etc. Whereas in SWTOR every player is a combatant.

However, whether it's a themepark or sandbox, I agree that being able to jump around and explore places is important, and I agree with the points in your OP.

I think if they put a bit more life into spaceports it would actually feel more alive, and I wouldn't mind running hundreds of miles to get to my ship. There are snippets of dialogue around, but they need more.