Boring Static World of SWTOR

Farbod

I love all the people asking the ones with thoughtful observations and real complaints to leave already. Enjoy the game with low subs while the devs push the eject button...

Another complainer interjecting conjecture.

The game does not have "low subs". This is a blatant lie utilized as a means of justifying an unjustifiable position simply because the poster is personally not happy with the game and seeks to disparage the game because of such.

According to any official reports providing numbers, approximately 87% of the initial player base are still playing.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day/night cycles and weather patterns involve heavy manipulation of shadows. The shadow system in SWTOR appears to be a problem.

Increasing the NPC count would equally stress parts of the engine that aren't particularly happy at the moment. (this may be loading time rather than any 3d rendering/texture issues)

The only thing that really bugs me are the mobs standing around waiting to be slaughtered :(.

On the way out? Is that like, yeah, I hate it, but I'm still playing because I hate is so much? You are either playing it, or you are not. If you are playing a game that you hate, I'm not sure what to tell you here. ;p

Anyway, adolescent retort, which is about what I expected. You do understand that assuming that one's point is so valid that any counter point is "stupid", will not make an invalid argument any more valid. right? Especially when you have not qualified it at all. Defending it, demonstrating proof, viable argument, anecdotal results would. Anything else is just whining and complaining.

Ambiance of the degree, and resource consumption being suggested here will not enhance the game, not for the type of nit picky people that are never satisfied. There is sufficient enough ambiance in the game for the main demographic of players, to waste resources on non-issue items as a means of satisfying a minute percentage of people, that will probably find something else to complain about, would be foolish.

Its been tried, its been of no consequence. It is not worth the time and effort for the return.

That is your opinion. Given a choice between playing a game that has ambiance, changing day/night cycles, weather, moving creatures who's location within it's pathing is not 100% predictable, other creatures that walk around etc etc... and a world where nothing moves... I'm inclined to chose the game where there is a bit more 'liveliness'.

SWTOR feels like a museum. Or more accurately, a Mausoleum. I still hope for the game, but my personal hope for it, is fading fast. I'll give them about a year (maybe less) before I make any final choices with my wallet... But I already suspect what my choice will be.

My opinion is as valid as yours is, and what I like and dislike in a game is as valid as your likes and dislikes for a game. Remember that.

~S

Another complainer interjecting conjecture.

The game does not have "low subs". This is a blatant lie utilized as a means of justifying an unjustifiable position simply because the poster is personally not happy with the game and seeks to disparage the game because of such.

According to any official reports providing numbers, approximately 87% of the initial player base are still playing.

Right and this is where people who have complaints lose all credibility.

The game can have issues that need addressing and still be successful...the two are not mutually exclusive. A lot of valid concerns get lost in the noise of

They sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!

And that really serves no purpose other than to fuel agenda based hate.

Cmmon, its the less interactive world ive seen in any MMORPG. You cant even swim/sit. Dont make me laugh. What do you want us to do? Youre done with leveling/raiding/PVPing... (wich is not hard id say) and? Crafting system is flawed. AH is a joke.

So if you can swim, you will stay in the game? All the content that you can be playing will ebb away as you swim about? End game raiding will matter not if you can....swim?

....and you can sit.

Crafting system needs a learning curve rather then RNG, more available mats at lower cost, the obligatory end game "second best in slot" item for each skill and it will be fine. They missed on the numbers, are aware of it, have stated that they are correcting it, and will.

The GTN is the result of the numbers with mats. Once those a balanced, GTN price rigging will end, mat farming will be replaced with craft selling.

MMORPGs are developed over years of play. This one will be no different. Too bad you are making a hasty exit before the game has even hit its stride.

Yet you are still here.

If you don't like the game, move on.

I swear, there are people that can find anything to complain about....even stuff that means nothing. They tried exactly what this guy is suggesting in Wow. Yanno what it did for everyone? Nothing. Meant nothing, did nothing, did not make the game "better".

This is a MMORPG, they gave you the world, you make your own fun. Apparently there are people that just don't get it, and can do little unless its spoon fed to them.

I don't know if you have taken a look at the recent poll, but if that were the case and everyone who was dissapointed with the game left, that would be roughly over 50% of the player base.

People want this game to be good and change, they just aren't happy with how it is currently. There is nothing wrong with that.

That is your opinion. Given a choice between playing a game that has ambiance, changing day/night cycles, weather, moving creatures who's location within it's pathing is not 100% predictable, other creatures that walk around etc etc... and a world where nothing moves... I'm inclined to chose the game where there is a bit more 'liveliness'.

SWTOR feels like a museum. Or more accurately, a Mausoleum. I still hope for the game, but my personal hope for it, is fading fast. I'll give them about a year (maybe less) before I make any final choices with my wallet... But I already suspect what my choice will be.

My opinion is as valid as yours is, and what I like and dislike in a game is as valid as your likes and dislikes for a game. Remember that.

~S

I'm curious...what game that is out today has more liveliness than TOR?

A few examples would help....

totally agree, i think we shoudl remember that this game is only a couple of months old though, and Bioware are new to this genre, u have to give thigns time

Hehe, trust me I can wait :D I'm already enjoying this game and think it has a lot of potential... And hopefully by offering good feedback we can do our own little bit for the game.

Aw ambiance, one of the only good reasons to sometimes still log Aion. It has a night/day rotation. (this also includes mobs/npc's that show only at day/night/certain times)<3

Yeap, wow did too. I remember some unique world elites who would spawn after sunset. I always thought that was cool.

I don't know if you have taken a look at the recent poll, but if that were the case and everyone who was dissapointed with the game left, that would be roughly over 50% of the player base.

People want this game to be good and change, they just aren't happy with how it is currently. There is nothing wrong with that.

Strikeoflights poll isn't accurate...it wasn't designed to be so; many people has called him on it.

I'm really curious what a legitimate poll would turn up but lets not give validity to straw polls.

Modern games you mean? Skyrim. Not an MMO, but it has quite a vivid world. The Witcher series also had nice touches such as NPC routines, NPCs running for shelter when it rained etc as well as dice games and the like. And the first two Gothic games (much older) had similarly vibrant worlds.

Edited by archifikoss

What game are you playing? Everything is more lively and lifelike than TOR lol. AOC, WoW, EQ2. The fact that you can't loop music in TOR and the seeming lack of music alone hurts it. There's so many things from how there's no smaller wildlife running around or any nature like things going on, no day/night/weather cycles, bad draw on plantlife. it's just laughable, that's not all the little details that are bad either that's just everthing i can think of at the moment.

Yes, but you are still here. ;p

Sorry to keep parroting that, but you yourself said that you still return to AION once and a while just for the ambiance? Why are you not playing that game? Could it be the lack of content, too much wasted in superficial, meaningless items rather then immerse content? Too many bunnies running around, no raid game?

Put it where its important. This is just the leveling process that we are talking about, not end game. It is something that you will see for about 2 seconds in the life of your play. Is that really worth the resources?

See, the reason I am saying that people will complain about anything is that this issue is being blanketed across the entire game. The cut scenes make this the most immerse MMORPG ever developed. You character has personality, the NPCs come to life rather then just spam text across the screen....but rather then enjoy the immersion, people want bird fights off to the side? Does not make sense to me at all. It just sounds like empty complaining.

Level 23 cities do not need anymore then they have. Put all effort into the important stuff, and into the end game, next expansion, the places we will be spending our time.

Like someone said, they did the best they could with the limits they placed on themselves by using an Engine (Hero) they were comfortable with.

Mythic used it on Warhammer, and figured they'd use it here as well to save time and money, I guess.

I think it was a poor choice, as the game speaks for itself.

They should have built their own engine around their game, rather then build their game around an engine that limited them so severely.

Really EA's fault though for giving SWTOR to Mythic. They made a gamble by giving it to the only team within EA/Bioware that had experience with MMORPGs and they lost.

That said, there wasn't much choice. Real Bioware was busy knocking out ME3, and they even siphoned off their best writer in Drew. The DA team helped, but given the dud they released in DA2.. probably not a smart idea.

I see this going the same way as Warhammer. Initial burst of population, then a steady trend downwards. This game will feel it hard because of how lifeless it already feels with a ton of subscribers.. Take away half of them, and the game just won't survive.

You people make me sick. You want them to do a year of work on something only a handful of people even care about.

I think you're looking for a different game.

Go find it.

I don't expect them to do anything. If they can't or won't I'll accept it and continue enjoying the game for its merits, like I've done with so many games before. I am simply offering some feedback about something I consider lacking.

Everquest for one, Aion, PWI, a cpl others i'm buggered if I can remember w/o checking my credit card history. Yes they still have a lot of static creatures, but the worlds are significantly more active. Still not 'MY' ideal, but much more active than SWTOR.

I've yet to play in an MMO that fits to my mental Ideal for NPC mob activity. Closest would have to be EQ1 as there was a LOT more creature movement in that game. Other games had different things to varying degrees. SWTOR fails to meet most of them. It leaves you with this nagging feeling that everything was done half assed and rushed and just tossed together with a bit of spit and some bubblegum in the hope that you will overlook it and ignore it.

~S

The game is good. This is all just nit picky bait for all the complainers to descend upon.

Your contention is just more hyperbole and conjecture. Post the poll. What is the source? Legitimate, or is it "mikes gameworld?".

See, I'm calling bull on this. In fact, the only time I ever feel any negativity about this game is when I come to these boards. In game, yeah, fleet is just as full as it ever was. People are still playing and having fun.

According to this board I would never sell anything on the GTN, but I'm selling 25 items a day with no problem.

Heck, after the last patch you would think the world came crashing down if you read these boards.....yet, everyone was still playing, still having fun, no issues with performance.

Am I the only one here who remembers what Star Wars Galaxies was actually like? The people who are most vocally against TOR seem to be wishing for some kind of hybrid game between Pre-CU SWG and TOR...and that isn't going to happen. It wasn't a successful product in the first place because while SOE was busy creating "vivid" and "dynamic" worlds, they completely botched the core of a game which is DOING FUN STUFF.

The magnificent (truly) worlds of SWG were large and barren and pointless. The NPCs did just about as much nothing as the ones in TOR. Who gives a **** about day/night cycle when the missions and combat were boring/broken/repetitive? That it had a great crafting component was meaningless to 90% of the people playing the game, which is proven because they all left it and that game doesn't exist anymore.

What BW has done right is created an engaging level 1-50 experience that feels like STAR WARS. So well done to them and they can work on refining that, adding end-game content, new planets, quests, gear, customizability, improving crafting, whatever, because they got the GAME part of the game correct. SWG never did this. It wasn't Star Wars. It was Second Life in space. TOR isn't perfect, but it hasn't been out for 90 days yet. These games require a collaborative effort on the part of the devs/players to improve it and so far all I've seen from BW is responsiveness and accountability. What more could you ask for at this point?

That you (being those who constantly plug up these forums with non-constructive wishing and griefing) didn't properly manage your own expectations is your own fault.

Everything is more lively and lifelike than TOR lol. AOC, WoW, EQ2.

Ok, so the obvious question, once again, is, why are you not playing one of those games? If they are so much more "dynamic", why are you not there?

Personally, I've played them all. I've raided a number of them. Most are good games, but they are no different.

Where does Wow not have NPCs just standing around with a few pathing every now and again? Ogrimar? The plains where the raptors stand in the same position, and one paths around? What is so special that the NPCs outside of firelands, or the, Scorps inside firelands do that is so different, so much more special then this game?

What BW has done right is created an engaging level 1-50 experience that feels like STAR WARS. So well done to them and they can work on refining that, adding end-game content, new planets, quests, gear, customizability, improving crafting, whatever, because they got the GAME part of the game correct.

Disagree.