Been thru Voss 3 times - IT. NEEDS. REBALANCING.

jimmybob

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Knight, my Trooper, and my Inquisitor have all encountered the exact same problem on Voss. You can get through the first three-quarters of the planet without much problem. Then

BLAM

Brick wall. Suddenly, violently, you are way, way under powered.

Let me explain how I level. I do all the quests, and I do 90% of the bonuses, and I do all the bonus series as soon as they are available. I do the space missions every time I'm in my ship. I craft rare/blue items religiously and spend my commendations wisely, so what I have equipped it worlds beyond what I'm always offered as quest rewards.

Do you know what this should mean? This should mean that, since I've gotten bonus, extra, non-mandatory XP, and since my gear and my companion's gear is twice as good as the things they offer to give me, (which should be perfectly adequate themselves, since, you know, the game is trying to give it to me at that point in time,) that ALL means I should be kicking PvE *** up AND down BOTH sides of the street.

This is not what is happening on Voss. You do one quest after the other, they are all fine and doable... then comes the one. The one where no matter how many stims you chug, now matter which companion combo you try, no matter how often you try to interrupt, that mission boss is just impossible. And you still have 90% of level 46 to go through before you can get to level 47.

If this happened once on one faction, it could be a fluke. But no. The last questing area of Voss needs a nerf, and it needs to happen before any of my other characters get to that godforsaken planet.

Up until this one point, everything is balanced pretty alright. A person can be caught up without much difficulty all throughout the game, WITHOUT having done any silly Flashpoints or PvP, until this point. Then suddenly... ugh.

I only noticed it on the Imperial side, honestly. Had no trouble whatsoever with my Knight. In fact, the Repubs get off easy with the Avatar of Sel-Makor. Imperials get stuck with a nuker with a multitarget Force Choke. Repubs get a Khem Val lookalike with no such abilites.

I've been through Voss once so far, but I don't remember anything except the strange eyeballs. (Sith, Juggernaut) Of course, everything past Hoth just felt like chopping wood - long, slow, chopping through mobs that couldn't kill me. Which is nice sometimes, but god it took a long time to get to 50.

This is not what is happening on Voss. You do one quest after the other, they are all fine and doable... then comes the one. The one where no matter how many stims you chug, now matter which companion combo you try, no matter how often you try to interrupt, that mission boss is just impossible. And you still have 90% of level 46 to go through before you can get to level 47.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's that one main story arc elite with the force storm ability.

That is a really, really hard fight. It took me three tries before actually finishing him because of the massive amount of damage I was taking and the fact that Mako likes to stand in one spot all the time. >.<

I'm Lv 48, and I find some of the gold bosses to be pretty tough on Voss. I'm a DPS and my tank companions tend to get rolled pretty quickly. If I use my other companions I generate all the threat and get rolled.

That being said, it's my first character in my first MMO. I'm willing to accept that it may just be me for the most part.

I've found that as a DPS Merc (Arsenal) that Mako (healer) is the best companion (for me) to use, ever. I end up pulling all the threat, but it works very well. On my Sith Marauder, I either use Vette and try to kill them as fast as possible or use Quinn which, in some cases, is the only viable option. Tanking companions for the DPS characters I've rolled just didn't work out as I don't have the ability to keep them up, but I can use med packs and tank the damage myself.

I've been through it as a scoundrel, and the quest where you need to kill cyber voranthbeasts was awful! I knew I should clear the area before holding down my down and left arrow keys while keeping it slowed (and being prepared for their gap closer), DoTed, and I did, but the damage was just too much! Then, I applied the same strategy, but with updated gear, and it worked quite nicely. This was very hard especially considering it was pre-backblast and surge nerf.

The biggest problem with Voss is that armor debuffs stack, and in any given Voss mob, more than one mob will have an armor debuff, magnifying the damage you take.

Of course, you could just play smarter.

Maybe stunlock them and heal while the armor debuff stacks wear off? Their equivalent of grav round/tracer missile was annoying =(

The fact that you will die, multiple times just to complete A quest is dumb.

Considering how almost unexistent the death penalty is, the fact that you will die means that you have a challenge to overcome, and that you are not being spoonfed exp and loot just facerolling easy stuff.

I understand some people don't want the effort or the challenge, they just want the rewards.

i had one class quest on voss that i thought was tough on my inquisitor, but that was more of a 'o this guy requires thought' tough. I guess if i didn't understand that between my companion and I there should be a tank and a healer it might be harder but i think that is a pretty basic mmo concept that should be known well before upper 40s

i had one class quest on voss that i thought was tough on my inquisitor, but that was more of a 'o this guy requires thought' tough. I guess if i didn't understand that between my companion and I there should be a tank and a healer it might be harder but i think that is a pretty basic mmo concept that should be known well before upper 40s

So if I'm playing a sniper which role should I be playing? Wait, I have no heals so I guess I get to tank??? I'm sure that will work well..

Considering how almost unexistent the death penalty is, the fact that you will die means that you have a challenge to overcome, and that you are not being spoonfed exp and loot just facerolling easy stuff.

I understand some people don't want the effort or the challenge, they just want the rewards.

If all I want is the rewards I can take my toons into warzones. No skill needed there, and you will be spoonfed xp. Or is that somehow different?

as a healer I had no problem on Voss, levelling again as a dps I am curious to see if I will hit the brick wall mentioned by the OP.

I'd hate to skip Voss, because I would probably have to spend more time in Corelia... and that would be bad for my mental health.

Edit: actually, thinking about it I did notice some furious chain agro in the nightmare area where you'd have to fight 3 groups of mobs if not careful. Wiped a couple of times like that, and thought 'ok this is getting interesting'

Edited by Vonb

• 1 month later...
Only problem I had on Voss (so far..) was the [Area] quest Sabotage the Gormak with the 2 strongs that don't allow you to stealth (they despawn). Managed it eventually using flash grenade and dirty kick to keep one occupied and burnt the other one down with Corso tanking. I'm a Sawbones Scoundrel and thought it was rough,but after a little thought,cooldowns,and a medpack. Managed it :D. Keep everything as is! Edited by Fallenenjeru

Hmm, only went through with a marauder and that was post-buffs - used Quinn and generally no problems. Did we decide that the problem may be not using a healer companion? A well decked-out healer felt critical on Voss, especially with the final boss who had a wicked spell that cut down at least half my HP and stunned me if I remember right.

I did feel like the Gormak were OP at the suggested levels in places and tended to draw too much aggro at times. I'd agree it was definitely a far more difficult planet than Corellia.

The only problem I had with Voss was with the Avatar of Sel-Makor (I think that's what it's called). That mob is just not sorc friendly at all. Constant spamming of force abilities followed by an obligatory deathgrip.

Had to get a friend to help me with that one. Other than that I was at the right level and found it reasonable, not easy.

That is the only one that caused me problems on my BH, going to go back and take him down after I finish Corellia

Ive been through voss about 5 times, never really had a problem with it or noticed a jump in dificulty, but i was always a cybertech or had a cybertech keepng my mods up to date, are you sure you people that are having problems are keeping your gear up?

That is the only one that caused me problems on my BH, going to go back and take him down after I finish Corellia

Yep, that was it, the Avatar. I remember having to gain another level and go back after dying twice. I might have been +2 levels at that point - no way would I have been able to take that thing at the recommended level. The Avatar is definitely not balanced right vs the recommended level or other bosses in the game.

I mean, it's fun to have a challenge but the Avatar - at that stage of the game - was second only to the final boss, and not by much. And I'd agree that many of the Gormak power techs are frustratingly strong. Voss is really probably the most difficult planet in the game at the recommended levels.

Edited by jgelling

I have to agree with both sides here.

Personally, I enjoy when the game decides to make one boss or area 3 times as hard as the last one. As a Bounty Hunter, the first one I encountered like this was Tyresius Lokai. If I remember rightly, he matches your level. It's possible others had a lot less trouble, but as a healing spec merc, with nothing but a healing companion, a burst dps boss with his own companion put up quite a fight (why can't my droid be that cool? :()

I had to learn to CC Tyresius while I took out the droid, and without an interrupt my stun and knockback had to be well timed.

After it became clear I wasn't going to beat him ranging I thought 'What the hell' and charged at him, hiting him with rocket punch and flamethrower. It took me another death to learn to keep close so I could use jet boost as an interrupt, but in the end, I got there. As someone who had spent the game a few levels ahead, it was suprising to be suddenly challenged, and it made me a better player.

The first combat Mako companion quest felt like another brick wall, and after a few deaths I realised once I was in the phase that needed Mako, I could switch to Torian/Gault for the fight.

The 'brick walls' can be frustrating, but they're very rewarding to beat, and you usually learn something doing it.

However, as I understand it, this game is meant to compete with WoW. While personally, I won't miss the players that claim it's impossible, everyone's stupid and then quit, Bioware will. They can't keep everyone happy, but if they don't keep enough people happy then the game is going to fail, which ruins things for all of us. They may keep a server or two running, but there goes the new content/patches budget, or our subscription quadruples.

So, perhaps there's a happy middle ground. Instead of 'brick walls', why not slowly make things harder? And while we're at it, whenever a new ability (A CC or interrupt) is needed to keep your combat running smoothly, put in a tutor at the start of the planet. It could easily be some local or another simply saying 'You can't fight all of them, stun one' or 'if you're really struggling, maybe call someone different to help?'

I have to admit, as nice as the challenge is, the brick walls are a bit sudden and without warning. Progressive difficulty increase, requiring new strategy and hinting to what strategy would work would stop that and allow people to prepare, while still getting better at the game.

You know, just ran through again and whoever came up with the Area Mission Gormak Sabotage where step 3 of the 5 part odyssey has two elite power techs swoop down and start railing away with chain guns - and then has all 5 steps award 1 comm - should be fired too.

If Voss were a real planet the Voss would have been overrun by the Gormak about 15 minutes after they ran into each other, the Gormak are so OP :)