If you want innovation, add a new role

BOLTgamer

Seriously, people are saying combat is boring, not because it's traditional, because you've made no effort whats-o-ever to mix the **** up, If I was you I would add an entire new role? I mean this is your game.

What I'm asking is for BioWare is to add a hybrid class. It's not doing anything but mashing up all the roles they have into one.

Hybrids were a ROLE back in the day but developers removed them BECAUSE people favored them and didn't want to choose other classes, Hybrids were extremely *********** fun.

BioWare said they've wanted to make a straight up original mmo from the start with great story. Yes, they've nailed it, what can they do to make it even more a traditional MMO? Add a Hybrid role, WoW removed this ROLE but BioWare should put it back into the game, not only is it more fun, it adds more Diversity to classes, PvP, and PvE.

Edited by BOLTgamer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, people are saying combat is boring, not because it's traditional, because you've made no effort whats-o-ever to mix the **** up, If I was you I would add an entire new role? I mean this is your game.

There is a reason they are referred to as the three pillars. I also notice you didn't include your idea on what the fourth should be. Hybrids tend to be looked down upon and don't perform as well as full path classes.

The fourth pillar usually ends up being something like "support," which typically ends up being some buffing class or off-healer, with sub-par DPS... and in most cases you'd just be better off with someone with decent DPS in that slot at letting people add "support" as a secondary function.

With few exceptions, support-type classes are just boring. They really only work in larger group settings.

I could come up with a class that has to win a tetris mini game while the rest of the group is fighting, but it probably wouldn't be fun, interactive or make any sense. its a combat based game, You are either killing things, or stopping things from killing you and your team, or some combination of both. attempting to throw something else into the mix quickly turns to forcing something else into the mix, and that tends to make the game less flexible and fun than what we have now. I know I don't want to go back to playing games that have encounters requiring class X with debuff Y or you can't continue.

Exactly what new role are you thinking of?

Buffs and Control are the only other possible roles, and those are intertwined in to what is already available.

If you want innovation, make a sandbox with 200 7 hour bioware story lines throughout the galaxy.

I want a role that sits in the back of the group on a data pad trolling forums. If successful, the opposite team gets a "trolled" debuff that makes them too angry to click their skills correctly.

Or maybe a whiner role for the op?

Edited by lunabaguna

If you're looking for new and versatile class types do yourself a favor and check out GW2. SWTOR will not do anything to innovate the class system nor the trinity, they have on numerous occasions said they will not deviate from WoW's example.

all they are doing in gw2 is making their own trinity... concept really does sound great but with such high expectations (along the sames lines of tor).. alot of people are probably not going to be happy. im expecting a great game in gw2, not getting hopes too high, swtor will def help me wait to test it out and beyond

Why does it have to be a combat class? Add entertainers.. Who can also change your appearance.

They could also add an end gamd dueling arena where on lookers bet on the matches.

Add more options to pvp like 2vs2 , 4v4 matches. The ability to pick what pvp map you wanna play.

Why does it have to be a combat class? Add entertainers.. Who can also change your appearance.

They could also add an end gamd dueling arena where on lookers bet on the matches.

Add more options to pvp like 2vs2 , 4v4 matches. The ability to pick what pvp map you wanna play.

Because how is a non combat class going to level? Participate in content, and pvp?

There is no avoiding math, in fights there is your hp, your party's up, and the npcs hp. Skills fall into 3 types, removing hp, replacing hp and slowing down or speeding up the first two. This leaves room for 4 basic actions; healing, damaging, absorbing, or buffing/debuffing. Buff/debuff classes have a long history of either not being played because they can't solo or pvp, or becoming op by giving them comparable dps but with the buff/debuff edge. Even in gw2, you will end up having a tank, a healer, and dps. It just ends up happening that way due to the innate nature of combat math.

After playing TOR for awhile, I think adding a buff/debuff class could work in this game because of the strong role companions already play. In other games it was a bad concept because support characters were pointless when they had no one to support. Here there's at least potential for it to work.

After playing TOR for awhile, I think adding a buff/debuff class could work in this game because of the strong role companions already play. In other games it was a bad concept because support characters were pointless when they had no one to support. Here there's at least potential for it to work.

How you think they could make buff/debuff classes viable in pvp? I'm not arguing, I'm generally curious.

How you think they could make buff/debuff classes viable in pvp? I'm not arguing, I'm generally curious.

I'm not 100% on the details, but I think since we're generally pvping in objective-based settings rather than smaller arenas, a character with stronger CC, or that could make the ball carrier run faster, or just generally buff their team would be able to contribute to their team winning.

Frankly, that's kind of what my Juggernaut does in Warzones anyway. Most of what I do is guard and taunt people, since I have no heals and do damage like wet noodle.

What about a tactician/coordinator class? In warzones, it could put up markers, call commands (voice overs as hotbar abilities), alert allies about enemy positions, anti-stealth and trying to not be within the reach of a lightsaber or in line of sight of a blaster?

As for solo PvP and PvE situations, it would essentially utilize the mechanics of an Operative/Scoundrel; that is a pistol/rifle and/or some hand-to-hand ninja moves (applying debuffs, DoT's, slows and generally lowering the opponents DPS output).

It could still use its commands to call in temporary NPC's (pets/companions, whatever) to carry out the orders. Covering fire (aggro/fear), CC, buffing, healing, uncovering stealthers, etc. Obviously, the "pets" would have to have a more predictable behavious, not so much dependent on positioning or pathing as normal companions would be.

It could be sort of a CC class, though it would have a lot wider variety of tools, so calling it a pure CC/buff class wouldn't be appropriate. Support maybe, depending on talent distribution?

It's just an idea. I'm not convinced that you couldn't effectively have more roles in addition to the old trinity while keeping it interesting and dynamic. I would love a Tactician class, where brains>DPS-button-mashing. Maybe it could even put out hard cover and deployable shields by calling in supply transports?

Edited by Athrins

I want a role that sits in the back of the group on a data pad trolling forums. If successful, the opposite team gets a "trolled" debuff that makes them too angry to click their skills correctly.

Or maybe a whiner role for the op?

This role has been perfect here swtor the 4 pillar has been found!

all they are doing in gw2 is making their own trinity... concept really does sound great but with such high expectations (along the sames lines of tor).. alot of people are probably not going to be happy. im expecting a great game in gw2, not getting hopes too high, swtor will def help me wait to test it out and beyond

What they're doing in GW2 is removing the trinity along class requirements. Everyone will be able to have access to a support style set of weapons, and can switch between what they do on the fly. Reinventing the wheel isn't needed, but improving it's design, traction, and functionality is what we should be aiming for, which they're doing.

Success or Fail - the fact they're trying is enough.

God, please, just stop with Guild Wars 2 advertisements already. They're obnoxious and are polluting the internet.

They're obnoxious only if you click on them and look. I don't understand why people would find information about things that are changing the status quo to be a bad thing. All it means is we'll have more choices, more options, and more freedom.

They're obnoxious only if you click on them and look. I don't understand why people would find information about things that are changing the status quo to be a bad thing. All it means is we'll have more choices, more options, and more freedom.

No their obnoxious because every single thread features some champion for GW2 coming to advertise for NCSoft.

No their obnoxious because every single thread features some champion for GW2 coming to advertise for NCSoft.

Guess people are really looking forward to something besides the ancient pepper grinder eh? I don't see any Champions, I see people giving out relevant information as is based on what people are requesting to see here in SWTOR.

Also, Tony. Why is it you never respond to posts that completely counter your arguments? You just abandon ship on a thread and go somewhere else to post the same short, curse word filled stuff.

If you're looking for new and versatile class types do yourself a favor and check out GW2. SWTOR will not do anything to innovate the class system nor the trinity, they have on numerous occasions said they will not deviate from WoW's example.

I'm not, im just saying BioWare said they would reinvent the roles back then and they haven't followed through with it.

Why couldn't their be a role that has talent tree's that sole reason is to be Hybrid, I mean I loved being a Hybrid back in the day and it's just not possible to do good with these new MMOs.