People need to realize....

swordandstone

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol @ rationalizing that this game sucks because WoW sucked at launch 8 years ago.

SWTOR just plain sucks. It doesn't suck because WoW sucked, it doesn't suck because someone did something in 1975 that sucked. It sucks because it sucks. Compare it to WoW, compare it to an apple, compare it to an infant pooping for the first time... who cares.

The fact that it has barely any features of any modern MMO, or even the fact that it isn't even an MMO from most peoples' perspective isn't the fault of anyone but Bioware. Even if WoW had never existed, and you couldn't compare this game to WoW, that still doesn't make this game any good. It's not up to par with anything coming out in 2011 or 2012.

Seriously, why even compare it to something 8 years ago, every company should be far beyond the capabilities of anything that happened in 2004 or earlier.

It's like comparing the NFL now to what it was in 1980. There's far more precision and refinement in all sports nowadays. You just need to be better now to stand out. And people do stand out. Game companies should be no different, by saying it's simply ok to be at the standard of what happened nearly a decade ago isn't good enough. Expect more from developpers and stop supporting sub-standard trash.

Edited by ShonaChaos

I do understand your valid opinions but in no way am I trying to sway anyone into the same boat I'm in.

This is all a matter of my own opinion and thoughts, I guess this entire post was mostly directed to those that strongly dislike the game and ruin it for people that enjoy it.

Ruin it how?

BW said before the game was out that it would not have a combat log at launch. So claiming its a missing feature is just absurde.

It is a missing feature. I don't care if they claimed it would not be in game. For people that like to min/max it is a VERY...VERY... important feature. To not have one in 2012 is stupid.

There are really no new games to play at the moment. Those released last year have been beaten so it is just a matter of time before SWTOR gets some serious competition from newer games. By then SWTOR will have to work as intended or I sure hope they brought enough lifeboats.

Lol @ rationalizing that this game sucks because WoW sucked at launch 8 years ago.

SWTOR just plain sucks. It doesn't suck because WoW sucked, it doesn't suck because someone did something in 1975 that sucked. It sucks because it sucks. Compare it to WoW, compare it to an apple, compare it to an infant pooping for the first time... who cares.

The fact that it has barely any features of any modern MMO, or even the fact that it isn't even an MMO from most peoples' perspective isn't the fault of anyone but Bioware. Even if WoW had never existed, and you couldn't compare this game to WoW, that still doesn't make this game any good. It's not up to par with anything coming out in 2011 or 2012.

Seriously, why even comapre it to something 8 years ago, every company should be far beyond the capabilities of anything that happened in 2004 or earlier.

It's like comparing the NFL now to what it was in 1980. There's far more precision and refinement in all sports nowadays. You just need to be better now to stand out. And people do stand out. Game companies should be no different, by saying it's simply ok to be at the standard of what happened nearly a decade ago isn't good enough. Expect more from developpers and stop supporting sub-standard trash.

Well said.

It is a missing feature. I don't care if they claimed it would not be in game. For people that like to min/max it is a VERY...VERY... important feature. To not have one in 2012 is stupid.

Claiming something is missing while knowing it would not be in and maintaining that opinion is just....stupid.

If they announced it would be in or even avoided answering it then your raging is ok but they informed you it would not be in. So if that is vital to you then why the heck did you buy the game knowing it would not be in???

a functional AH - I can get by perfectly fine with this AH. It is a very well AH, just missing a complete item search and more filter like Chest Heavy Armor.

UI customization - I cannot customize WoW interface THAT MUCH unless I have a mod.

macros - The majority of the player base will not need or even use these. BW, and any developer, needs to focus on the majority. Yeah lets make the leveling stop at 40 instead of 50 because we spent months implementing macros.

If you are happy to just "get by" with the AH then that's great. Its convoluted and lacks polish. Its not intuitive at all.

UI customization - yea, you can't mod WoW's unless you have a mod. Guess what? WoW isn't the only MMO out there, and even so the fact that there is a way to fix it to your liking beats the hell out of not having the option at all.

macros - implying that leveling would have to be stopped at 40 because macros were put in the game is ridiculous in nature.

Combat log - Wait, you didn't mention it because you have no logical reason why it shouldn't have been implemented. Cool.

Obviously there must be some doubt in their mind if some how another persons opinion of a game is affecting theirs.

Yeah, but doubt about what? I don't really understand how someone's opinion can ruin a game for another person. That's mind boggling to me.

I am very tired of this excuse, and I am baffled why people feel the need to come rushing to the defense of a multi-million dollar company.

You think a car manufacturer should use this excuse too?

Hey, we should give them time, it's a new car. So what if the wiring harness catches fire or the brakes sometimes don't work. They'll get it working eventually! Just be patient and don't drive it!

over the 7 years wow has been live how many people do you think worked on making the game? how much more money have they used to improve the game from the initial 150 million development costs when it was vanilla?

the car analogy is not a very good one because in the automotive industry the development tools have changed so dramatically over the first production lines. nowadays it would be like the flintstones meet the jetsons automotivally speaking.

while the development tools for MMOs have basically stagnated over the pass 7 years.

think of it like this:

1 robot equals 25 men on an assembly line for a vehicle. this is how you get your airbag that you cherish so much.

the only robots in the MMO industry are the ones lending their emotional storytelling abilities to the people developing for WoW.

Claiming something is missing while knowing it would not be in and maintaining that opinion is just....stupid.

If they announced it would be in or even avoided answering it then your raging is ok but they informed you it would not be in. So if that is vital to you then why the heck did you buy the game knowing it would not be in???

EVERY

MMO

NEEDS

A

COMBAT

LOG

MMOs from 10+ years ago had combat logs.

There excuse for not putting in a combat log? Performance issues. What? How is text gathering going to cause performance issues? I wasn't in early betas but some beta testers stated that there used to be a combat log...

Also, I didn't buy the game. A friend bought it for me.

Ruin it how?

Not sure if this happens to you but on my server there are those few that run around purposely with intent to pulling dozens of mobs in order for your group to fail, while shouting out how much WoW is better and so on and so forth. Basically, player harassment from others that have given up on TOR in-game.

So since when did MMO X need EVERY feature of EVERY single MMO EVER released to be successful?

So what if this game does not have feature X. Is the game still playable? Yes.

Is feature X needed? No, I can still play the game, use the AH, find groups, and deal with the UI without whining about it every single day.

Would they be nice? Sure.

Oh and BTW, you cannot compare this game to WoW, you just cannot do it.

Edited by Nighthawked

because they said it was missing = it is missing

The game will also not feature any pandas... therefore pandas are missing

Pandas aren't in the TOR universe and no one expects them to be?

Content is not a feature. Characters are content. Features are just that, features.

If you release something that is a direct competitor to an existing product and expect to sell it for the same price you usually need to uphold at least the same standard. If I wanted to create a new word processor and directly compete with Microsoft Word or even free software like Open Office I would need it to include a minimum of basic features people expect a word processor released in 2012 has.

Would you buy my word processor if I told you it’s a AAA fully featured word processor. Then after you buy it you notice there is no spell check, you can’t change text colour, can’t make lists or add picutes and there is 1 second lag after you press key to text appearing on screen.

But of course I assure you all these features will be implemented in a later patch.

Another satisfied customer!

EVERY

MMO

NEEDS

A

COMBAT

LOG

MMOs from 10+ years ago had combat logs.

There excuse for not putting in a combat log? Performance issues. What? How is text gathering going to cause performance issues? I wasn't in early betas but some beta testers stated that there used to be a combat log...

Also, I didn't buy the game. A friend bought it for me.

Again, if according to you, a MMO needs a combat log and SWTOR does not have one and BW informed that it would not have one at release. Why be upset??? Play another game that has your vital combat log but dont come raging on the forum when you KNEW it would not have it.

Not sure if this happens to you but on my server there are those few that run around purposely with intent to pulling dozens of mobs in order for your group to fail, while shouting out how much WoW is better and so on and so forth. Basically, player harassment from others that have given up on TOR in-game.

OK, that's player harassment, which is a completely different topic then the one we are discussing on this thread. And I agree that people shouldn't intentionally attempt to disrupt others game play.

Back to the point, people are not upset with SW:TOR because it lacks the content a 7 year old game has, they are upset because the features that are present do not make them happy.

I agree, I dont get it.

Some of the MMO communities care about whether or not their server-mates are enjoying the game or not, thus casting doubt wondering if he/she will enjoy the game towards its endgame based on another's opinion. It's psychological, but it's the truth if you like to pay attention to player reviews and the like.

To me, it's fun and that's my opinion. I love it.

As far as polished goes, that takes time, there has NEVER been a perfect launch in MMO history. All MMOs that are notable and lived to compete against it's major competitor we're all crap at launch.

Examples: Everquest vs. Dark age of Camelot

Asheron's Call vs Anarchy Online

daoc had it's following, but I think it peaked at half of the users that EQ had.

mmog chart seems to be gone, but it's still in the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20110714105823/http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html (not sure if that link expires or not)

And looking at the spike usage here, it's kind of faretched to call that "competing against it's major competitor" other than that initial spike

There's rough launches, and then there's the Everquest GoD expansion launch. Compared to other recent games, this one is pretty rough. I mean, rift was unpolished as hell when it launched but it was less buggy.

Again, if according to you, a MMO needs a combat log and SWTOR does not have one and BW informed that it would not have one at release. Why be upset??? Play another game that has your vital combat log but dont come raging on the forum when you KNEW it would not have it.

Well, mostly because every mmo has a combat log. F2P cash shop MMOs have a combat log. Just because BW informed us that it doesn't have a combat log doesn't mean it shouldn't have one. If BW took out the AH at release that would make it ok because they told us they were going to right?