64 bit client

Facadas

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried patching the exe theirselves?

I know its possible - Skyrim community patched the Skyrim client before the developers did, allowing 4GB+ to be used.

Only question remains - would such a thing affect our standing with Bioware - eg - Would it be detected as cheat/hack attempt, or would they graceously allow us to do so?

In what way?

The community creating their own exe client is a 5 minute job.

The developers doing it would be what? a minute at most to enable the LAA Flag in the executable.

Granted, they need to make a build of the game, and then distribute via updater, but LAA is a simple 8 bytes or so of data being added to the executable.

And it really can make a difference.

Less Crashing,

Improved performance.

LAA = Large Adress Aware flag

It is a simple flag that gets set at the start of the executables code, that enables 64bit Client/ Using of Memory locations reserved for 64bit Applications.

eg - 32bit applications can only access memory locations where the memory location is within the boundaries of a 32bit scope, UNLESS they are modified post build.

The x64 platform (x64 CPU, x64 OS) will yield a maximum process size in excess of the available system RAM. For example, my 8GB Windows 7 machine was able to yield a process of 8,656 MB, although at that point the system was swapping so much it was unusable.

The x86 platform (x86/x64 CPU, x86 OS) will yield 1.5GB as the maximum process size be ##DEFAULT##. Most people assume this will be 2GB, however the garbage collector needs its own space and does not allocate the maximum.

It is possible to allocated over 2GB on a .NET x86 process by marking the assembly or EXE with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE. This cannot be done via Visual Studio, although you can create a Post Build Event (see attached solution for an example). Execute the following command-line tool EDITBIN.EXE /LARGEADDRESSAWARE MyApp.exe. This command can normally be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin. In order to confirm that the binary headers have been correctly updated run the following command DUMPBIN.EXE /HEADERS MyApp.exe, which should give:

http://www.guylangston.net/blog/Article/MaxMemory

Edited by Baaleos

I know its possible - Skyrim community patched the Skyrim client before the developers did, allowing 4GB+ to be used.

Only question remains - would such a thing affect our standing with Bioware - eg - Would it be detected as cheat/hack attempt, or would they graceously allow us to do so?

This might be possible but not viable!

We are talking of an online game, meaning it connects to online servers and checks for consistency. Even if it does not break there there is the patching problem (that also exists on skyrim).

Other thing one of the biggest problems with the 32bit client is the 2 separate process and underlying communication between them. We need a native 64 bit client, not a patch on the 32 bit client.

in either case

If Bioware choose to create a x64 client.

It would not be alot of effort to create it.

There are very few programming languages that differ in code from x64 to x86

The only problem that I forsee is when they are relying on DLL's that are built for one platform but not the other - which can cause errors.

But its all part of the process.

As said before - x64 is making up the majority of the population, it makes sense for them to cater to the platform that solves everyones problems.

I think the time of 32bit frankly is over.

Companies like bioware must have the courage to say "sorry folks but if you have a 32 bit platform you cannot play this game!". I know this isn't easy as it can drive many customers away, but the fact is 32 bit application are now in itself bottle-necking (hell swtor needs 2 processes because of this!).

It's time things go to 64 bit, so everything else can also evolve naturally.

That's slightly different. I'm by no means an expert, but I don't believe that was a 64 bit exe release, but a fix to modify the exe to become a LAA (large address aware) exe, and use more that 2GB (I think).

So it wasn't a 64bit Skyrim client, but a little tweak to the exe that Bethesda had somehow ommitted to do.

So i guess this will not have an answer hum? ok wtv dudes...

My guess is they heard you and are forwarding the information to the team responsible for determining if it is feasable.

Bioware seems to have a practice to not divulge information of any kind unless they are 100% certain that this is possible.

I also would love an 64bit client but I am not counting on it to be made any time soon.

Even Blizzard managed to make a 64bit client for wow with an old engine...

Must admit, wow runs allot of smoother now.

It took blizzard how many years after the 64bit craze started to make one? And its only in testing

It took blizzard how many years after the 64bit craze started to make one? And its only in testing

I don't mean to be a little harsh, however plenty of games have had 64-bit native software released since 2004.

Just to name a few off the top of my head; Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Far Cry, Crysis, Bioshock 2, Indigo Prophecy and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

I'm sorry but this should have been the goal when releasing SWTOR. However I've read nothing regarding any plans on making a 64-bit client I can only assume that they plan on doing this. As pointed out earlier in this thread 64-bit processors are the future and seeing as this game has only just been released you'd have imagined they'd be planning for future developments rather than current or past developments.

If The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay a game developed by Tigon Studios and Starbreeze Studios can be released taking advantages of 64-bit native hardware than a game developed by Bioware and Published by EA should also be able to take advantage of 'current' hardware.

Edit: Side-Note the reason I'm interested in this is because I'm a college student and I don't have the luxury of taking my desktop with me while moving back and forth between locations so I'm currently using my somewhat out of date XPS 1530 which can utilize 64-bit hardware. I had been play World of Warcraft for the past two consecutive years and the 64-bit client made a dramatic difference when processing information allowing me to run the game smoother. My FPS increased by 66-75% while even bumping up the graphics which I previously was running near low. FPS used to be 20-30 before the 64-bit client and are currently running from 35-50

Edited by Thyleon

64bit client is future goal

memory leak problem is more urgent

I hvae 8GB main memory, so have more than 6GB possible memory for SWTOR

At Ilum, I always meet Client Crash caused by lack of memory, everyday

SWTOR runs two processor, and each willing to use max 4GB add up 8GB max

so they cosumes large memory at Ilum

At last 0 free memory state comes and Crash...

It means, for Ilum, low limit system memory is 10GB

4GB for each two process other 2GB system

I can say this Insane.

even 64bit client, if memory leak problem does not solved

same situation, 0 free memory and crash will occur with system below 10GB memory

• 2 weeks later...

The sooner you guys start working on a 64-bit client the better.

Everything else is just a waste of time.

The 64-bit client will happen sooner or later.

Stop wasting time denying the undeniable and get to work.

You know I find it strange that the SWTOR readme file suggests Win 7 64bit yet they do not even offer a 64bit client. It seems a bit misleading on their part to recomend a technology they do not implement in the game clien! Edited by ajamison

You know I find it strange that the SWTOR readme file suggests Win 7 64bit yet they do not even offer a 64bit client. It seems a bit misleading on their part to recomend a technology they do not implement in the game clien!

Sadly they aren't the only ones doing this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.