"INC LEFT" That is not a good way to call INCs

VoidSpectre

this is what i thought. i always say right/left, because i figure only morons would always look to their immediate left/right. its seems obvious that it would be left/right in relation to your spawn. further, the left/right carries for all maps, where as east/west only seems viable on voidstar.

all i know is that I've been saying right/left since the start, and i have never had a problem. i wasn't even aware of a controversy until i started coming to the forums.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what i thought. i always say right/left, because i figure only morons would always look to their immediate left/right. its seems obvious that it would be left/right in relation to your spawn. further, the left/right carries for all maps, where as east/west only seems viable on voidstar.

all i know is that I've been saying right/left since the start, and i have never had a problem. i wasn't even aware of a controversy until i started coming to the forums.

That's because there is no controversy. You are looking at the only like, 10 people in this whole game who are "outraged" by the "stupidity" of the players in this game.

Meanwhile the rest of us are busy successfully defending the hard to call 2 door Voidstar map, you know the one where you can actually stand in a spot in the middle and see both doors by simply pivoting your camera and see which one needs help regardless of a call...

/facepalm. Compass directions are viable anywhere in life (as well as any swtor map). Open your map... top is north, left is west, right is east, bottom is south. Here is the kicker... this is true for every map! Tough concept to grasp for people I know. It seems there is a group of people that would rather make up their own directions based on spawn positions and somehow think that's easier.

I'll just continue to ignore people that say "Inc Left/Right". Chances are they don't know what they are doing in pvp anyway.

C'mon people. Left and right are subjective. Sometimes people mean left out of the rez point and sometimes they mean left on the map.

How about we grow up and use cardinal directions like intelligent adults. Use "INC WEST" so we don't have to decipher your subjective meaning

Really? Left or Right 99% of the time means from where you spawned, its simple and has work in nearly all matches I have been in.

Really? Left or Right 99% of the time means from where you spawned, its simple and has work in nearly all matches I have been in.

It means that when you are coming out of your spawn point. But people under the spawn point (still fighting) can, and has, interpreted that differently.

The fact that this post exists with so many different views, is evidence that there are varying opinions on how people view these things.

Edited by Lazorous

Or again just use East/West which are universally understood and self-explanatory for anyone that is out of elementary school. I just don't understand why people are still arguing against this point.

Then you're not in tune with reality.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know which way is East and West.

/facepalm. Compass directions are viable anywhere in life (as well as any swtor map). Open your map... top is north, left is west, right is east, bottom is south. Here is the kicker... this is true for every map! Tough concept to grasp for people I know. It seems there is a group of people that would rather make up their own directions based on spawn positions and somehow think that's easier.

I'll just continue to ignore people that say "Inc Left/Right". Chances are they don't know what they are doing in pvp anyway.

Actually come to think of it I don't recall seeing a compass rose or anything on any of the maps to indicate map orientation. We just assume that the map is north facing (Top is north) but in reality that could be south. Infact north and south are relative positions as well as they relate to a Magnetic poll location on the planet. They are certainly LESS relative then left/right but they are still relative. For all we know the polls are reversed on Alderaan and since Voidstar is technically a ship it has no polls. Thus we should probably use the terms Port and Starboard on voidstar. Of course in order to determine the correct direction there we would also need to know which is the Bow and Stern.

Maps were originally oriented with East on the top, thus why we call the East the "orient". East is up. At least in my century. That's because the Western world viewed Jerusalem as the source for all geographical directions. Now, on Alderaan, they don't have a Jerusalem, however House Organa is the orient, so I always get confused when people call out east/west, because I can't tell which way the warzone is oriented to House Organa.

Fer reeeeeelz.

Actually come to think of it I don't recall seeing a compass rose or anything on any of the maps to indicate map orientation. We just assume that the map is north facing (Top is north) but in reality that could be south. Infact north and south are relative positions as well as they relate to a Magnetic poll location on the planet. They are certainly LESS relative then left/right but they are still relative. For all we know the polls are reversed on Alderaan and since Voidstar is technically a ship it has no polls. Thus we should probably use the terms Port and Starboard on voidstar. Of course in order to determine the correct direction there we would also need to know which is the Bow and Stern.

I would be okay with using those terms.

Edited by Dolitoe

It means that when you are coming out of your spawn point. But people under the spawn point (still fighting) can, and has, interpreted that differently.

The fact that this post exists with so many different views, is evidence that there are varying opinions on how people view these things.

Seems to be based on your server. My server is like 95% compliant with using left and right relative to the spawn orientation. Of all the games I have ever played, I've had maybe 2 people that actively defied me saying that left and right are left and right on the map (which is retarded, because of the same reasoning for earlier posts). Everyone else just learned what left and right meant and stuck with it. This doesn't mean east and west are not used, just means that when we say left or right it is always relative to spawning point direction.

I honestly do not understand the people that say that east and west are in any way less clear than left/right.

Methinks they are just trolling

Moving left is easier than moving west.. taking that damn speeder on Civil war, twisting me around and everything really ****s with my orientation. It's easier to just run left when the speeder lands, instead of looking at my map and determining which way is west and east.

Moving left is easier than moving west.. taking that damn speeder on Civil war, twisting me around and everything really ****s with my orientation. It's easier to just run left when the speeder lands, instead of looking at my map and determining which way is west and east.

You don't know which side on Alderaan is west or east yet? You still have to look at the map for that?

I love this thread. The fact that we have to argue this goes to show how casual the PvP population is in TOR. Real PvPers are competitive, and miscalling a direction will lose you the fight. When rated WZ's come out there will be absolutely no room for error if you want to do well. That is, of course, assuming there will be any PvP guilds still around for that patch.

If you can't understand cardinal directions you need to DELETE.

Thank you to the OP for posting this, b/c I often have to educate people in game, including guildies in our 'elitist pvp' guild.

except that you never know when THAT GUY that said left meant left out of spawn. so hey... you move left and it turns out he meant left on the map because (like idiots in this thread) left could be places on the map or directions out of the spawn. turns out you ran into a place that was fine and you lost that place because children are too dumb to use proper directions

you always know which way is east or west, at least if you have elementary school education

I love this thread. The fact that we have to argue this goes to show how casual the PvP population is in TOR. Real PvPers are competitive, and miscalling a direction will lose you the fight. When rated WZ's come out there will be absolutely no room for error if you want to do well. That is, of course, assuming there will be any PvP guilds still around for that patch.

If you can't understand cardinal directions you need to DELETE.

Thank you to the OP for posting this, b/c I often have to educate people in game, including guildies in our 'elitist pvp' guild.

exactly. it seems like something that should be so obvious... and yet constantly isn't

You don't know which side on Alderaan is west or east yet? You still have to look at the map for that?

Seeing as how everyone on my server calls it left and right, No I don't (if you want to be even more technical, that map doesn't even tell you which way is east or west). If you tell me INC LEFT I will always know what you mean no matter where I am on the map or what direction I'm facing.

Seeing as how everyone on my server calls it left and right, No I don't (if you want to be even more technical, that map doesn't even tell you which way is east or west). If you tell me INC LEFT I will always know what you mean no matter where I am on the map or what direction I'm facing.

Very well. Grass is west. Snow is east.

I figured it was generally acknowledged LEFT and RIGHT are in relation to the map....how is that a hard concept? If you cant grasp such an easy thing, PvP is not the place for you, sorry.

Look at it as LEFT is its label, the west node, it is just the label. If you want to be nit picky then thats your own fault, make up another excuse as to why you didn't go help. "I was confused!" is pretty weak. You could label it anything....RED node, node ONE, LEFT, WEST. If you don't understand the concept its not others faults. Left is generally what it is called. MMOs and gaming in general has the community giving lables to things, "THE GREEN HALLWAY" or such in a FPS, or "BIG HANGAR", you get the idea. Again, its a label, learn them or fail, its on you.

Voidstar:

- 'Left' can mean facing out of the spawn.

- 'Left' can mean facing towards the spawn.

- 'Left' can mean left on the map, if you are especially handicapped.

I have seen people use all three.

- 'West' can mean only one thing.

Common sense is your compass rose.

Edited by pherball