"INC LEFT" That is not a good way to call INCs

VoidSpectre

So in this thread...

We have people that think "east" and "west" change based on where you're facing, but "left" and "right" are absolutes.

We have people that say "Left means left on the map, everyone knows that."

We have people that say "Left means left from the spawn, everyone knows that."

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon people. Left and right are subjective. Sometimes people mean left out of the rez point and sometimes they mean left on the map.

How about we grow up and use cardinal directions like intelligent adults. Use "INC WEST" so we don't have to decipher your subjective meaning[/quote

There is only one situation where you even need to use right, left, east, west. That is when you hold all three positions in Alderan. Otherwise logic and situational awareness (which very few people that pvp have) is all it takes to know where to go.

for example. if I am on mid and we have one other turret and someone says incoming. Well if I don't see anyone coming to mid I can use logic 101 to figure out that it must be the other turret that needs help.

Also I wish people would look at the map to see where the rest of their team is. Why do you always have one or two idiots on one side of the map while the rest of the team is either defending a point or trying to take the other side. The splitting up strategy doen't work well at all. You have to all hit one point hard and if it doesn't look like you can take it easy make a quick decision to go to the other side as a group.

*facepalm*

ppl should just use East and West, too many people are divided on whether left and right are from the map or from your starting position. You can't argue on what east and West are, plus as an added bonus west will always BE west if you play on your Imp toon

That work even worse.

When someone spawn and i tell them to take the EAST speeder. They will either a) get confused and take the CENTER speeder or b) they will take the RIGHT speeder (even if they should take the LEFT speeder to reach the EAST base because the ship they launch from is located NORTH on the map).

Going Right or Left speeder when someone say EAST depend on if the ship you launch from is located to the north or the south.

Edited by Xenon-se

So in this thread...

We have people that think "east" and "west" change based on where you're facing, but "left" and "right" are absolutes.

We have people that say "Left means left on the map, everyone knows that."

We have people that say "Left means left from the spawn, everyone knows that."

You imply it's an even number. It's not.

Most people, left = left from spawn.

Some small number of fools think cardinal directions are interchangible.

Edited by EternalFinality

No. It. Is. Not.

If the ship you launch from is located on the NORHT side of the map. Then the LEFT speeder will take you to the EAST turret, not the WEST turret. Trust me on this one.

Both sides take the LEFT base. But only the side that launch from the SOUTH ship will go to the WEST base when going LEFT. The other team will go to the EAST base when going left (as they are assulting the map from the north).

Do i have to draw a picture before people understand the basic concept of north, south, east and west.

If you face NORTH then you will have WEST on your left hand side.

If you instead face SOUTH (as the other team will) then you will have EAST on your left hand side.

Common guys.. You learn this stuff before grade school... ;)

This was pretty much what I was getting at. You were a bit more serious about it tho. Not everyone is smart enough to look at their map and decipher what directions are what as far as NSEW goes. Left/Right is easy for the more simple minded folk to read. Since I always assume the rest of my team is most likely operating on 4 brain cells, I just use L/R directions. I find this proves more effective. The other difficult part is trying to get people to understand simple directions like, "A few of you need to stay at that point and hold it." or "We already have 3 people here, the rest of you go help hold the other point."

People that spawn, use the LEFT speeder to reach the LEFT base.

(People at center only need to know the edge base is under attack)

If you tell people that spawn to use the EAST speeder they first have to check map and then try to figure out if they should in fact use the LEFT or the RIGHT speeder. Many will fail.

(People at center still only need to know the edge base is under attack)

You can't get a puggy to figure out which turret is left, right, east, west, etc...

But I bet you $500 that if you labeled those damn turrets something like:

Turret Edward

Turret Jacob

Turret Bella

You could call an incoming and everyone of those damn puggies would get it right every time. ><

The majority of people on my server use it as left/right of the spawn facing. But a not-very-small minority use it based on the map.

Left and right are relative directions -- we always use them relative to the spawn point facing on our server.

Anyone who uses left and right to describe locations on a map is retarded -- you would have to know the orientation of an object on a map to describe it's left or it's right. Because you can't tell orientation of an object on the map, left and right is retarded to use. Maps are not meant for lefts and rights, they are meant for easts and wests because easts and wests have no dependancy on orientation.

You can't get a puggy to figure out which turret is left, right, east, west, etc...

But I bet you $500 that if you labeled those damn turrets something like:

Turret Edward

Turret Jacob

Turret Bella

You could call an incoming and everyone of those damn puggies would get it right every time. ><

Only if the speeders were labed as well. With CAPS.

Reading this forum got me thinking it is a bigger issue than i first thoguh. Should suggest that to BW.

Alpha, Bravo Charlie

A, B, C

Hahahaha, I cannot believe this is a thread. I can't believe that people actually think 'left inc' means 'left from wherever you're spawning'. That's just.....I dunno. I don't even know why someone would think it's anything OTHER than west. Wow. Bad players always find another way to be bad even when you think they've run out of ways.

How do you know what speeder to use?

...or you guys only use the middle speeder and run from there? :)

Just look out the window, it's pretty clear which is snowy and which is right.

Never used those terms on my server tho, so I have no idea how it works in practice.

After playing Republic since early access, switching over to my Empire character and playing Civil War where the map is reversed is really disorientating.

Try playing both Empire and Republic characters the same day. Doing daily 3 wins on my Imp, then leveling off WZs on my Rep. :D

Edited by Youmu

C'mon people. Left and right are subjective. Sometimes people mean left out of the rez point and sometimes they mean left on the map.

How about we grow up and use cardinal directions like intelligent adults. Use "INC WEST" so we don't have to decipher your subjective meaning

it isnt subjective...

No. It. Is. Not.

If the ship you launch from is located on the NORHT side of the map. Then the LEFT speeder will take you to the EAST turret, not the WEST turret. Trust me on this one.

Both sides take the LEFT base. But only the side that launch from the SOUTH ship will go to the WEST base when going LEFT. The other team will go to the EAST base when going left (as they are assulting the map from the north).

Do i have to draw a picture before people understand the basic concept of north, south, east and west.

If you face NORTH then you will have WEST on your left hand side.

If you instead face SOUTH (as the other team will) then you will have EAST on your left hand side.

Common guys.. You learn this stuff before grade school... ;)

You clearly read that differently than I meant it. I'm not talking about west being allways at the same spot.

What I mean is when allready on the battlefield, the turret that is shown on the leftside of my map will remain there if I turn around, it doesn't suddenly go to the right side of my map but the arrow representing my character's position turns around instead.

Also I agree it's basic knowledge but since obviously so many folks are lacking in that, I'm trying to reach a compromise instead of patronising others like you're doing.

Left on the map is easier for folks to understand than west or east in my experience.

You clearly read that differently than I meant it. I'm not talking about west being allways at the same spot.

What I mean is when allready on the battlefield, the turret that is shown on the leftside of my map will remain there if I turn around, it doesn't suddenly go to the right side of my map but the arrow representing my character's position turns around instead.

Also I agree it's basic knowledge but since obviously so many folks are lacking in that, I'm trying to reach a compromise instead of patronising others like you're doing.

Left on the map is easier for folks to understand than west or east in my experience.

Fun fact: That direction on the left side of your map is called west.

How about we grow up and use cardinal directions like intelligent adults. Use "INC WEST" so we don't have to decipher your subjective meaning

Been using that in all my games. The best part is when people get confused by it and scream at me to use left or right instead. Idiots. :rolleyes:

Fun fact: That direction on the left side of your map is called west.

Did you read my other posts?

I KNOW it's called west, but my experience both IRL and gaming is that west and east is more confusing for folks than left and right. Instead of patronising or trying to re-educate people it might be more useful to reach a compromise so that the largest amount of players understand it.

Did you read my other posts?

I KNOW it's called west, but my experience both IRL and gaming is that west and east is more confusing for folks than left and right. Instead of patronising or trying to re-educate people it might be more useful to reach a compromise so that the largest amount of players understand it.

Except your compromise is way more confusing for anyone who knows how to read a map which I hope is the majority.