Another DOWNTIME tonight

daMarek

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People complain that they don't fix bugs... Then they complain when they do!

Ridiculous.

Wrong, Im mad that they dont have their **** together.

Im mad that the game is patched during my peak playing time twice a week.

Yes, Im mad.

Oh well, maybe I'll use the downtime to download wow

"Boo hoo, I can't play at 2am, move patching to 6am!"

I live in Australia, and the server patches quite often start a few hours after getting home from work, and often means I can't actually play at all that day. Cry me a river.

This is my first MMO (the 14 day trial on WoW where I decided it wasn't worth my cash doesn't count). Honestly, coming into this as a largely single player gamer, seeing at minimum one patch a week, if not more, is quite refreshing, and makes me happy. Contrast with a patch from Bethesda on Skyrim that broke stuff, and took almost a month for the fix, 2 days sounds pretty good to me. Perspective.

The patch for the patch is coming. Again we can't play two nights within a week.

UPDATE:

And it's official

I was gonna pwn the galaxy tonight, but I took a patch in the knee

You people will never be happy. "I quit because of too many bugs", " I can't believe how fail this game is because of so much down time". I have one question, how does it feel to be like a dog chasing it's tail? Lives across the world must be absolutely horrible with no one being happy that the stop lights turn red and not green when they drive.

The patch for the patch is coming. Again we can't play two nights within a week.

UPDATE:

And it's official

I was gonna pwn the galaxy tonight, but I took a patch in the knee

I just completely reinstalled tonight because their damn installer doesnt work.......and they are breaking it for another worthless pvp patch....fix the damn installer.

4 hours for 1 fix?, do they break for a 3 hour lunch or what?, Eve Online does brilliant, and much more massive hotfixs with very little downtime, i guess thats the tradeoff having 20 million servers rather than one cluster :p Edited by Markonus-DS-

If this were server maint. I would agree.

A better analogy would be:

Bring Ford in for brakes. Have to take it back since now AC isn't working. AC is fixed but now my brake lights are dead. Lights are fixed but now I have to take it back since it won't start. ETC ETC ETC

That reflects current situation.

i had one of these, but it wasnt a Ford, it was a Volkswagen.

There would be much less downtime if they tested stuff before patching.

Lets think about what happened here. Bioware identified an exploit to farm valor Ilum. So they fixed it so that people using this exploit could not farm valor. What they did not check was to see if this fix affected normal valor gains on Ilum, ie, the entire point of Ilum.

For all you self proclaimed software engineers, when you fix a minor bug in one system, do you then release it WITHOUT CHECKING TO SEE IF THE SYSTEM STILL WORKS AT ALL AFTER YOU BUG FIX? Do you think it is sound practice to see if your bug goes away, without checking to see if the system as a whole works at all?

And it's not like 'fixing' Ilum valor exploits then broke Warzones, or Mercenaries, or some other relatively unforseen consequence. 'Fixing' Ilum Valor COMPLETELY BROKE ILUM VALOR. To use the Ford analogy, it's like you brought your car in to change the break pads, only to find out that your break pedal no longer functions at all.

Meanwhile, while untested content is being pushed onto live servers and the PTS remains useless because no one has high enough level PTS characters to test end game content, we continue to pay real money for this. At least when FF14 was fail on launch, they made it free to play until they fixed it.

I posted this on another thread that was closed to consolidate threads:

They need more participation on the test server.

Are you about to copy chars to the test server? If not, I don't see how there will ever be enough ppl there testing. If that is allowed they would have alot more users there able to test the new patch content and find these issues before it's pushed live.

I know alot of people will yell, "I pay to play not to test." Why this is true, there are also alot of people that like to test new content before it goes live.

You must be american.

What do you call a smart person in america? a tourist.

We are Europeans, we are talking about our downtime during day time.

We wouldn't have had this conversation, if E-fArts and Bugware made a seperate maintance for EU/us.

You must be an idiot. I could say a typically European joke myself but then i would contradict myself.

Edited by Mossc

My playing time starts around 12AM PST, so any downtime means no playtime that day for me. I honestly wouldn't have bought the game if I would have known that (in the time I've played) I wouldn't have access for at least 2 nights a week.

No poor me stories here, maybe I'll come back when they figure things out. New game and all so patching should be expected, but it's not an awesome enough game for me to justify keeping my sub with the patching schedule over the last month.

let me do some math for the ppl complaining about downtimes

there are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week. which comes to a total of 168 hours. Including this downtime, servers will be down a total of about 12 hours, assuming it takes as long as they say. now if we divide 12 by 168, we get approximately 7% downtime for the week, with 93% uptime on servers.. HOLY **** THE SKY IS FALLING. I assume people just don't want anything fixed or it to be fixed without ever being implemented....

All minor updates should only take a computer restart, unlike weekly maintenance that requires hardware check or full data backup. Rift is pretty good at this part, whereas a minor patch only takes 10 minutes or so usually, unless something went very wrong.

I think SWTOR is a very old and primitive MMO design although they copied a lot from other MMOs, which is already apparent enough from the poor flexibility of their UIs.

For oceanic players who has limited game time on weekday nights, this 4 hours x 2 of game time loss is quite a big deal.

Oh don't tell me they can only test the updates on live server in their downtime because they don't have enough level 50s on PTR .... that would be a terrible joke.

When WoW released, we were getting patches daily to bi-daily, I remember getting 3 in one day.

People need to understand that, no matter how much testing you do, sh** happens in the real world.

When we roll out a new production network segment, we test it LONG before it goes live, we do a staged release and we will still find issues, it happens, just be happy they are doing something about it.

Cracks me up though, soooo many posts crying about Ilum PvP broken from last patch, they post they are going to fix it and people cry they are patching heheh

wow was released in 1967. this is 2012.

there are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week. which comes to a total of 168 hours. Including this downtime, servers will be down a total of about 12 hours, assuming it takes as long as they say. now if we divide 12 by 168, we get approximately 7% downtime for the week, with 93% uptime on servers.. HOLY **** THE SKY IS FALLING. I assume people just don't want anything fixed or it to be fixed without ever being implemented....

You do realise 99% uptime is industry standard for providing paid server services?

You do realise 99% uptime is industry standard for providing paid server services?

And you do realize that you are paying for (minus normal Tuesday 8 hour server down time) a mere $0.02/hour for thousands of hours of entertainment? You also realize that the game isn't even 2 months old right? Again, you do realize that the PTR is less than a month old right? Also, you realize that Bioware and EA aren't going to throw on a few more million people to their staff just so they can patch and service customers at any time of the day not to mention that it wouldn't speed up the process.

You do realize? Wait, you probably don't.

What are you suggesting a time? if not I don't know where that comes from because Thursday Morning Central time is definitely not Friday night Aussie time.

I think you will find the servers actually do go down between 6-7pm in Australia. On Tuesday they went down at 5:45 for me.

wow was released in 1967. this is 2012.

You do know you are wrong with the release date of wow. It was not in 1967.

World of Warcraft (WoW) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) by Blizzard Entertainment. It is the fourth released game set in the fantasy Warcraft universe, which was first introduced by Warcraft: Orcs & Humans in 1994.

So people shouldn't complain, right? Because, worldwide, peoples' personal available playtime is 24/7, right? :rolleyes: