The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

So finnaly BW dev. put some feedback on their dev. tracker ( or whatever it´s called ) but still no real solution.

Plus their excuse is there was only small reaction on PTR , it made me laugh as hell. Do they think that we are retarded ?Or we should develop game we are paying lol. Nobody is almost playing there since there is no transfer option etc.. etc.. and u don´t use PTR instead of your own internal testers and developers.!!!!!!

Two big issues came out with this patch , and we would like to know who is responsible don´t put blame on us players since u receive low feedback on PTR !!! Seriously this makes me want to quit this game altough I really want to play it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick internet search on health effects of strobe lighting will reviel that those of us suffering physical effects from this are not just making these up.

When thinking of using any bright strobe like effects a company should had done a little research on the possible side effects.

That is not a road you want to go down, sir. That road leads to children forcing themselves to play in spite of the health issue, Youtube videos of SWtOR-induced nausea and vomiting, expose-style TV "news" reports on the dangers of online games, parents refusing to allow their children to play, parents lobbying groups petitioning Congress demanding that the game be pulled from shelves and shut down.

You really do not want to go there.

Whoa. Seriously? Look, I obviously know that rapid flashing lights can cause some people to have seizures, but are you REALLY trying to tell me that having a tenth of your computer screen SLIGHTLY light up every few seconds makes a SIGNIFICANT number of people PHYSICALLY ill? Honestly? That is what you are trying to tell me? That this button "flashing" issue is worse than all of the laser blasts and grenade explosions and force-effect flashes that have always been in the game?

Because if that's what you are saying... I call BS. Not just regular BS either, I call Uber BS.

Whoa. Seriously? Look, I obviously know that rapid flashing lights can cause some people to have seizures, but are you REALLY trying to tell me that having a tenth of your computer screen SLIGHTLY light up every few seconds makes a SIGNIFICANT number of people PHYSICALLY ill? Honestly? That is what you are trying to tell me? That this button "flashing" issue is worse than all of the laser blasts and grenade explosions and force-effect flashes that have always been in the game?

Because if that's what you are saying... I call BS. Not just regular BS either, I call Uber BS.

It makes me dizzy after 15 minutes. You not believing it unfortunately doesn't make me any less dizzy. I just want to be able to play the game without feeling 'car sick'.

Are you a doctor? A scientist? A biologist? Do you know how the brain works in connection to the eyes? Call Uber BS and I'll call back Ignorant POS.

That does sound strange doesnt it? Maybe this color hits the right spot, the same spot that every other objects color from this game misses. Can you imagine if they were to play the ice field space missions????? Mass emergency calls thats what.

Edited by unclekaula

I keep seeing people say this. Let me point out the big difference. All the explosions and laser blasts and force explosions, are more toward the center of the screen where your eyes are focused for the majority of the time. The flashing is in the peripheral. Flashing lights in the peripheral are actually worse for many people than flashing lights in the area they're focusing on. Also, flashing lights in the peripheral can cause migraines, even in people without a pre-disposition to them.

Now, you might be right that it's not really a significant number of people. But that doesn't mean they should keep it this way. At the very least they need to include an option to turn it off for the people that ARE having a problem with it.

And frankly, I think the fact that there are over 2000 posts on the topic, most of them complaints, maybe should be enough of a reason for them to roll it back until they figure out the option.

So finnaly BW dev. put some feedback on their dev. tracker ( or whatever it´s called ) but still no real solution.

Plus their excuse is there was only small reaction on PTR , it made me laugh as hell. Do they think that we are retarded ?Or we should develop game we are paying lol. Nobody is almost playing there since there is no transfer option etc.. etc.. and u don´t use PTR instead of your own internal testers and developers.!!!!!!

Two big issues came out with this patch , and we would like to know who is responsible don´t put blame on us players since u receive low feedback on PTR !!! Seriously this makes me want to quit this game altough I really want to play it.

Um... yeah okay.

It's not that hard to figure out. Some people are finding they're getting ill effects from this new UI. As someone who isn't and is having no problems with it I asked in game what people thought. The absolute majority of responses were that people weren't with about three people talking about the headaches and refering to a couple of other experiencing the same and having to not play. That was out of 250 people in the fleet.

I've been on the PTR. Participation is low. Very low. So out of the small group of players that does utilize it's quite feasible that very few if any experienced the ill effects because they weren't the types that do. It's the same with internal testing. Unless those people (which is probably quite a small group relative to the 100 of thousands playing) are the small percentage (relative to the entire player base) that is getting these effects then no it wouldn't be necessarily deemed a problem.

It's only when this thing went live and into the massive numbers of people that this issue has cropped up...because tons and tons more people have been playing it. Relative to numbers it does seem to be very small percentage of players being affected. It just seems huge because now it's hitting much more people.

That doesn't mean it's not a problem or something they shouldn't fix, especially since with the other UI incarnations it wasn't a reported issue.

Though I can't relate to the MANY people complaining of getting sick ect, I DO play a melee class and my screen certainly flashes a lot more than just once ever "few seconds." Try less than every 1.5 seconds. Big difference in the scheme of things.

I personally think what's making dude's sick/headache is the constant trying trying to stare extra hard through the bright *** gcd(ever 1.5 seconds) to to quickly figure out what ability we will use next. I'm thinking is similar to motion sickness. Energy users, especially melee ones, only have .5 seconds to determine what ability gets queued next every 1.5 seconds. We're not spamming a channel over an over again like otherslll. As of right now, we can hardly see ****.

Edited by Abiza

I'm having a very hard time with the new coodown effect. The flashing that occurs at the end of the cooldown needs to be removed completely. It is way too confusing to tell if the ability is usable yet or not, and I end up spam hitting the button to find out. Please change it back to one of the previous versions.

Brave to display your ignorance in front of everyone. Try and look up what causes eye strain/headaches on the low end and potential seizures on the other. It isn't just flashes and animation. It's a combination of intensity and repetition. The bright lighting + position of it (all 3 sides of the screen) + bright flash continuously every 1.5 seconds.

I am not going to argue the potential physical affects of this, I am not a doctor, what I will say is...

1. The current system is terrible and its difficult if not impossible to quickly tell what is going on

2. The original system is still the best they have tried

3. All three systems were/are still buggy and broken and often showed/show skills in a cool down when they were/are really not

If they had just fixed the first to actually work we would be a lot better off.

Alright constructive criticism:

1) Remove the flash effect.

2) Remove or thin the white line that drops as the cooldown expires.

3) Remove the following dark shading above the white line completely - this is probably the worst part of the UI patch as it obscures the skill icon.

4) Reduce the brightness of the light blue cooldown color.

5) Ensure that skill (ability) icons that are not available are noticeably darker (faded out) than skills which are available.

The goal is for players to be able to ANTICIPATE which skills are going to be available when the GCD expires.

Now if you want bonus points, add the following user-controllable features in Preferences:

a) Slider to control 'the white line' thickness.

b) Color chooser ala chat text colors for 'the white line'.

c) Color chooser ala chat text colors for the GCD cooldown color.

d) Slider for brightness of the GCD cooldown color.

e) Toggle for GCD cooldown complete flash.

I don't find the new cooldown effect that bad, at least you can now see when an ability comes off its cooldown. It's a bit flashy, but it's not the end of the world.

Now I just would like to have a better indicator of whether an ability with a force/focus/rage requirement is going to be ready when the global cooldown ends.

That is not a road you want to go down, sir. That road leads to children forcing themselves to play in spite of the health issue, Youtube videos of SWtOR-induced nausea and vomiting, expose-style TV "news" reports on the dangers of online games, parents refusing to allow their children to play, parents lobbying groups petitioning Congress demanding that the game be pulled from shelves and shut down.

You really do not want to go there.

Well, at least this thread has not been blown completely out of proportion.

In a way, this has been an interesting change, because it has compelled me to look at my quickslot bars less frequently. I've got a better internal handle on ability cooldowns now, and I mostly just check the bar for longer cooldown abilities, like Force Choke.

I'm sure BioWare didn't intend it that way, but to some extent, I do feel as though I'm playing my main class a little better. It's my alts that give me problems, since I'm not as familiar with ability rotations and such.

Anyway, just to be sure, I do hope they come up with something better, and I'm confident they will. They're clearly listening to the community.

Likely futile, but I was attempting to provide you, a person clearly unaffected by the issue, a reason why you might be a bit less dismissive of those who are. This is not a culture or a social climate in which you want to mess with things related to health, especially with regards to a pursuit that society largely views as an activity for children. It takes very little to mobilize the social and political forces opposed to gaming, and providing them an easy target like a health issue is in no one's interest here. That is especially true for something as arbitrary as interface presentation, which has no profit attached other than perhaps the investment of some design engineer.

This isn't something you mess with. The longer it stays, the greater the chances it becomes a PR disaster, which kills the game and ends everyone's enjoyment.

Though I can't relate to the MANY people complaining of getting sick ect, I DO play a melee class and my screen certainly flashes a lot more than just once ever "few seconds." Try less than every 1.5 seconds. Big difference in the scheme of things.

In SWG back when the NGE launched and SOE adding expertise trees to 2 classes per patch, I remember how freaking annoying medic's bacta bomb was with this massive flash (along with that LOUD over 9000 dB bang), and when smuggler got their's, the melee attacks all flashed on impact, shortly after SOE toned down all the flashy effects.

Edited by Sookster

i'm kind of baffled at what is making this UI so difficult to manage. it's a pretty simple thing to get right, but they've gotten it wrong so many times already. there are simple rules for this that any experience with player-created mods will illustrate.

1) a vertical or horizontal sliding bar indicating CD time is not as effective as a circular pie-like countdown. with long CDs, a vert/horiz bar can disappear at the bottom of the icon, making it difficult to gauge how much time is left on the CD. with a circular countdown, you always see it until the CD is over. and none of the previous methods are as effective as a visual timer, with numbers on it.

2) having the icons flash or momentarily get larger when they're off CD is fine, as long as the GCD never procs this effect. right now, the issue seems to be that every ability is constantly flashing, and you can't tell what's coming off CD and what's just coming off the GCD. you could also just make this effect only activate for CDs longer than 3 seconds, because nobody cares about CDs shorter than that. we don't need to be alerted that our bread-and-butter free move just came off its 1.5s CD.

3) an ability should only be dark if it cannot be used. this sounds like such a simple rule, but we've now gone through 2 iterations where this is not the case. right now, when an ability comes off CD, it flashes, then remains dark for about 0.5-1.0 seconds, then it lights back up again. why? is this all part of the effect animation?

It's interesting that Bioware locked the old topic at 100 pages because it went past the mystical "1000 post limit" but this one is well past 108 pages (1080 replies) with no Bioware in sight.

Guess there was no 1000 post limit. I also think Bioware just got tired of lying to us.

Edited by EternalFinality

It's interesting that Bioware locked the old topic at 100 pages because it went past the mystical "1000 post limit" but this one is well past 108 pages (1080 replies) with no Bioware in sight.

Guess there was no 1000 post limit. I also think Bioware just got tired of lying to us.

The tinfoil is strong in this one.