New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

Someone have a video or screenshot of this? I'm at work and I'm curious as to what these changes look like.

There is or was another thread with the video of it but for a Powertech increase the flashing by a factor of lets say 10 for a glow stick wielder building rage and you see the issue.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is or was another thread with the video of it but for a Powertech increase the flashing by a factor of lets say 10 for a glow stick wielder building rage and you see the issue.

If you could provide a link it would be appreciative. If not, no worries.

I saw this thread and started to read it, and logged into the game just to see the changes to the UI ... and I think they are great. What do you mean you can't tell if something is on cooldown or how long it has left or when it is available again? It really is clear to me.

I think I found the video, nevermind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXRS1dsPsvQ

Ok, so I LOVE the brightness for items on cooldown. The problem is the GCD having the same effect. They definitely need to turn down the GCD effect and have it be a seperate and far more diluted version of the cooldown effect.

Edit: Haha, thanks for all the links everyone. :)

Edited by GamewizX

Ok, after having gone through Foundry Hard now was the very first time in this game that made me wish for user-made addons, just to get something to bring it back to normal. In order to not miss important short-time (~15sek) cooldowns and cooldowns coming off through proccs, I had to stare at the bars the entire time. I couldn't even have a glance at, say the cooldown of Unload in the corner of my eye, as all there was was grey and pastell-blue-milk pouring down and white flashing, all over the bars...

- Displaying GCD like a real cooldown is unhelpful, ugly, annoying and distracting.

- The chosen color of the cooldown rolldown is ugly, too bright, too flashy and milky, I don't see icons that are greyed out, I see pastell blue with the hint of an icon behing.

- I don't want any color at all there, I just want the icons greyed out with a roll-down (or clock-like circle-through) to indicate the cooldown. Not other colors, especially not such in-the-face ones.

- I don't want to see icons of skills greyed out that just came off cooldown through a procc (like Railshot). Especially not those.

- The only time in a bossfight when my bars where not a sea of grey and pastell blue and flashing lights was in the second half of Unload - the skill is channelled for 3 seconds, so 1.5 seconds I am off GCD. The entire rest of the fight I am on GCD, all the time, as DPS should, never stop DPSing unless a special mechanic or aggro requires it.

It's playing ugly and horrible. Actually, its the worst implementation of hotbar cooldown display I have ever seen in ANY game.

- I request a hotfix right tomorrow, even if that would cut into European prime time (of which I am a victim myself). Revert it to the previous state if that's all you can do, or better yet revert it to what it was at launch.

But, Bioware, forf'sake,no matter what you end up with, remove thee display of GCD entirely. Skills not on CD or unable due to lack of force/rage/whatever should never be greyed out or anything, ever, just displayed as normal icons.

I think this is a step in the right direction but I have a few criticisms...

1) Don't make every single ability dim with the GCD and then flash when the GCD is over. We (the players) are aware which abilities have cooldowns and which don't. Having every ability dim and flash just adds to sensory overload.

2) A different color overlay would be helpful for abilities that are available but are lacking the required resource to use. Sometimes an ability isn't on cooldown but cannot be used. Having them dim like every other ability does just adds to the confusion.

I think those two things alone will do wonders for what you have in place as of now.

Ok, so I LOVE the brightness for items on cooldown. The problem is the GCD having the same effect. They definitely need to turn down the GCD effect and have it be a seperate and far more diluted version of the cooldown effect.

No. No cooldown display for GCD at all. Not some toned-down version, just nothing. I've got 4 cooldowns to watch permanently, of which one could reset at any time due to a procc, I could do so efficiently before the patch, because there was no flashing and especially nothing distracting when nothing happened to any of those cooldowns.

Just... revert it. Hotfix, tomorrow. If you must even in my EU prime time, I'll take that over a week of this... horribleness.

I can't see anything now. I just spent a whole warzone staring at my bars trying to figure out what I could and couldn't use, and it was not pretty.

Seriously, what was wrong with the cooldowns in the firstplace? Put it back to how it was at launch please. I could actually tell what was on cooldown, and it was perfectly readable. No idea why it was changed to begin with.

I wait patiently for every patch to fix the real issues in this game, but each patch just seems to bring new problems :(

Edited by Ezrya

Ok, after having gone through Foundry Hard now was the very first time in this game that made me wish for user-made addons, just to get something to bring it back to normal. In order to not miss important short-time (~15sek) cooldowns and cooldowns coming off through proccs, I had to stare at the bars the entire time. I couldn't even have a glance at, say the cooldown of Unload in the corner of my eye, as all there was was grey and pastell-blue-milk pouring down and white flashing, all over the bars...

- Displaying GCD like a real cooldown is unhelpful, ugly, annoying and distracting.

- The chosen color of the cooldown rolldown is ugly, too bright, too flashy and milky, I don't see icons that are greyed out, I see pastell blue with the hint of an icon behing.

- I don't want any color at all there, I just want the icons greyed out with a roll-down (or clock-like circle-through) to indicate the cooldown. Not other colors, especially not such in-the-face ones.

- I don't want to see icons of skills greyed out that just came off cooldown through a procc (like Railshot). Especially not those.

- The only time in a bossfight when my bars where not a sea of grey and pastell blue and flashing lights was in the second half of Unload - the skill is channelled for 3 seconds, so 1.5 seconds I am off GCD. The entire rest of the fight I am on GCD, all the time, as DPS should, never stop DPSing unless a special mechanic or aggro requires it.

It's playing ugly and horrible. Actually, its the worst implementation of hotbar cooldown display I have ever seen in ANY game.

- I request a hotfix right tomorrow, even if that would cut into European prime time (of which I am a victim myself). Revert it to the previous state if that's all you can do, or better yet revert it to what it was at launch.

But, Bioware, forf'sake,no matter what you end up with, remove thee display of GCD entirely. Skills not on CD or unable due to lack of force/rage/whatever should never be greyed out or anything, ever, just displayed as normal icons.

THIS!!

I tried to explain to a few guildies standing there while heat is normally venting is pointless your auto needs to be going healing/dps non stop.

This see of blue puke lines for force rage users is just as bad if not worse than Mercs.

I absolutely despise the new flashing effect when the cooldown ends.

I've played for 15 minutes and not only my eyes hurt, it actually makes it harder for me to know what I need to click next. That's because:

- I can't look at the icons without my eyes hurting/blinking

- While on cooldown, the icons become so dark that you can't really see which is which! I play 8 different characters, do you expect me to memorize everything at every level up when I move icons around?

This change is not a good thing, please change it back asap.

No. No cooldown display for GCD at all. Not some toned-down version, just nothing. I've got 4 cooldowns to watch permanently, of which one could reset at any time due to a procc, I could do so efficiently before the patch, because there was no flashing and especially nothing distracting when nothing happened to any of those cooldowns.

Just... revert it. Hotfix, tomorrow. If you must even in my EU prime time, I'll take that over a week of this... horribleness.

The GCD has to have some sort of indicator that it is occuring.

Essentially I think the problem most people are having is that the GCD effect is the same thing as the ability cooldown effect. I absolutely love the changes for the ability cooldown (the brighter descending timer and the flash at the end makes it easy to see when a cooldown is up), but it is completely counter-productive to have the exact same effect for the global cooldown as well.

This should change as soon as possible, as in within the next day or so if at all possible. Having the global cooldown be as bright and flashy as the ability cooldown completely negates the changes made as now your entire UI is just a big mass of flashing buttons.

Make the GCD effect with a much lower opacity with no flash at the end (essentially the way it was pre-1.1.2). Keep the ability cooldown as is post-1.1.2. Problem solved.

Edited by GamewizX

I can't see anything now. I just spent a whole warzone staring at my bars trying to figure out what I could and couldn't use, and it was not pretty.

Seriously, what was wrong with the cooldowns in the firstplace? Put it back to how it was at launch please. I could actually tell what was on cooldown, and it was perfectly readable.

I wait patiently for every patch to fix the real issues in this game, but each patch just seems to bring new problems :(

Ok, we know it's bad, but if you had to sit and stare at your action bar...

The biggest problem I see is with conditional requirements on abilities.

If the condition is not met, the ability icon is darkened (faded) out to show that the condition has not yet been met.

The new new white radiant decreases the ability to see if the conditions have been met for that specific ability.:confused:

non conditional abilities don't seem to be effected by this change so if you don't play a class with conditionals or use a classes conditional ability, you will not see this problem.

We either need a different indicator to show that the condition has been met for that ability instead of the darken/fade or the ability to turn off the white radiant via Gui.

Love this game and I hope that this issue can be fixed soon! :)

This has me worried as I spam chilling scream and do a quick (1sec) click of force scream, retaliation or whatever it is, and vicious slash. How the hell will i know whats to be used next if I've used 4 abilities in 2 seconds (meaning my UI bar will be flashing / lit up that entire time).

I'm at work and worried :(

you should be worried, i am a lvl 50 Vengance jugg, and its unplayable, everything in constantly darked out. whoever thought of this idea clearly does not play the game or plays at a awful skill level. only through great paitence am i still able to fiht endgame mobs, and i can tell how much its gimping me.... as my hp is considerably lower after fights. i wouldnt even try pvp right now.

Seriously, what was wrong with the cooldowns in the firstplace? Put it back to how it was at launch please. I could actually tell what was on cooldown, and it was perfectly readable.

I have been extremely patient, put up with bugs like warzone victories not counting etc, doing a class mission instance 4 times until it finally appeared non-bugged. If they don't revert this ASAP and not even think about bringing back a toned-down version of it I will be seriously worried about their abilities to sustain this game. I am not saying I am threatening to leave (such threats are stupid anyway), but it's the first time I have to say:

The UI in SWTOR is horrible.

Before today, I would have responded to such complaint that it is quite decent, might lack a bit of customization, but overall pretty usable, efficient and pretty. Now I have to say it is horrible, ugly, cumbersome to read and distracting from the actual fighting going on.

I think I found the video, nevermind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXRS1dsPsvQ

Edit: Haha, thanks for all the links everyone. :)

This. Exactly this. We need to better vision of the next ability to use DURING the GCD not AFTER the GCD.