New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

The GCD has to have some sort of indicator that it is occuring.

Essentially I think the problem most people are having is that the GCD effect is the same thing as the ability cooldown effect. I absolutely love the changes for the ability cooldown (the brighter descending timer and the flash at the end makes it easy to see when a cooldown is up), but it is completely counter-productive to have the exact same effect for the global cooldown as well.

This should change as soon as possible, as in within the next day or so if at all possible. Having the global cooldown be as bright and flashy as the ability cooldown completely negates the changes made as now your entire UI is just a big mass of flashing buttons.

Make the GCD effect with a much lower opacity with no flash at the end (essentially the way it was pre-1.1.2). Keep the ability cooldown as is post-1.1.2. Problem solved.

Funny the sage/sorcs and mercs not having a real issue with this but the jedi/jugs sent/maras and healing mercs just hating the hell out of this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right after playing a few more games with my maurder and hating this UI at 1st.

I changed my contrast and changed gamma in game and now i seem to have gotten a feel for it.

now im not trolling and im not saying this and that. And i understand if you have a condition if it gives you migrans etc.

But before everyone shouts n shouts some people try adjusting contrast and coulours on pc and adjusting gamma in game in graphic options and u MAY jus find a fix that suits you.

Im not trolling im just trying to hep a few of you

There is or was another thread with the video of it but for a Powertech increase the flashing by a factor of lets say 10 for a glow stick wielder building rage and you see the issue.

all personal preference. Personally i like the new system, and im using a glow stick focus character.

The biggest problem I see is with conditional requirements on abilities.

If the condition is not met, the ability icon is darkened (faded) out to show that the condition has not yet been met.

The new new white radiant decreases the ability to see if the conditions have been met for that specific ability.:confused:

non conditional abilities don't seem to be effected by this change so if you don't play a class with conditionals or use a classes conditional ability, you will not see this problem.

We either need a different indicator to show that the condition has been met for that ability instead of the darken/fade or the ability to turn off the white radiant via Gui.

Love this game and I hope that this issue can be fixed soon! :)

Yes. This. I don't look at the UI much anyway except for conditional dependent, straight conditional powers, and resettable powers. But it does look godawful.

Essentially I think the problem most people are having is that the GCD effect is the same thing as the ability cooldown effect. I absolutely love the changes for the ability cooldown (the brighter descending timer and the flash at the end makes it easy to see when a cooldown is up), but it is completely counter-productive to have the exact same effect for the global cooldown as well.

The only thing I agree with in regards to the new changes is that the flash at the end is a good idea, it's just too obnoxious, but that could indeed just be because its happening all the time and everywhere at once. But the descending timer is just so ugly, like pastell-blue-tinted milk flowing down... ugh. I just want it neat, simple and efficient, a grey flow-down or circle-through cooldown display, maybe even optionally a numerical timer/countdown, and a clear indication seperating between "few seconds of cooldown" and "good to go", which a toned-down version of the flash could indeed accomplish.

Essentially I think the problem most people are having is that the GCD effect is the same thing as the ability cooldown effect. [/u]

Throw in the fact that a Sentinel got +30 abilities used on a regular basis, most icons consisting of the same blue color that the CD fader utilizes, and that a Sentinel as a melee user now has the UI basically flashing blue nonstop and = can't tell **** apart.

And that's the problem right there. Melee classes got screwed and in the spirit of BW, republic melee players even more than Empire ones.

Edited by darthtoph

Yes. This. I don't look at the UI much anyway except for conditional dependent, straight conditional powers, and resettable powers. But it does look godawful.

The same for me, I only have to look (or better yet only quickly glance) at my bars for a handful of cooldowns, one of which is also conditional. Now I have to stare at the bars the entire time if I don't want to miss cooldowns and proccs critical to my DPS rotation/priority.

Ok, after having gone through Foundry Hard now was the very first time in this game that made me wish for user-made addons, just to get something to bring it back to normal. In order to not miss important short-time (~15sek) cooldowns and cooldowns coming off through proccs, I had to stare at the bars the entire time. I couldn't even have a glance at, say the cooldown of Unload in the corner of my eye, as all there was was grey and pastell-blue-milk pouring down and white flashing, all over the bars...

- Displaying GCD like a real cooldown is unhelpful, ugly, annoying and distracting.

- The chosen color of the cooldown rolldown is ugly, too bright, too flashy and milky, I don't see icons that are greyed out, I see pastell blue with the hint of an icon behing.

- I don't want any color at all there, I just want the icons greyed out with a roll-down (or clock-like circle-through) to indicate the cooldown. Not other colors, especially not such in-the-face ones.

- I don't want to see icons of skills greyed out that just came off cooldown through a procc (like Railshot). Especially not those.

- The only time in a bossfight when my bars where not a sea of grey and pastell blue and flashing lights was in the second half of Unload - the skill is channelled for 3 seconds, so 1.5 seconds I am off GCD. The entire rest of the fight I am on GCD, all the time, as DPS should, never stop DPSing unless a special mechanic or aggro requires it.

It's playing ugly and horrible. Actually, its the worst implementation of hotbar cooldown display I have ever seen in ANY game.

- I request a hotfix right tomorrow, even if that would cut into European prime time (of which I am a victim myself). Revert it to the previous state if that's all you can do, or better yet revert it to what it was at launch.

But, Bioware, forf'sake,no matter what you end up with, remove thee display of GCD entirely. Skills not on CD or unable due to lack of force/rage/whatever should never be greyed out or anything, ever, just displayed as normal icons.

I totally agree. All I'm seeing is flashing bars even for spells that are off the cooldown. We don't need this, plus the new GCD flashy effect is far too bright and confusing.

Edited by MJHoyle

Funny the sage/sorcs and mercs not having a real issue with this but the jedi/jugs sent/maras and healing mercs just hating the hell out of this.

not all of them, i enjoy the new ui reguardless of which class im on my guardian or sage or trooper.

That being said, still waiting for the ui customization patch that lets me resize everything.

Right after playing a few more games with my maurder and hating this UI at 1st.

I changed my contrast and changed gamma in game and now i seem to have gotten a feel for it.

now im not trolling and im not saying this and that. And i understand if you have a condition if it gives you migrans etc.

But before everyone shouts n shouts some people try adjusting contrast and coulours on pc and adjusting gamma in game in graphic options and u MAY jus find a fix that suits you.

Im not trolling im just trying to hep a few of you

The added over stimulation and 1 skill for everything flash effect is the issue.

1. cut immersion

2. added a strobe effect that hinders the core game mechanics.

3. destroys tank's focus on combat and reaction based abilities

4. creates headaches and added eye strain.

Hi folks,

Thanks very much for the feedback on this. We've sent this up internally to investigate and we will update as soon as we have more information for you. Thank you for your patience.

Respectfully, you and the dev team would not have to waste time and effort defending/investigating/producing new UI effects that the community doesn't like if the BW team would allow player made UI mod to be used.

Please strongly consider making player written mods useable the #1priority for development. Consider all the complaints that would vanish if you could simply respond with, "I'm sorry you don't like that element of the UI, but there are a number of user mods that can customize that element to your specification."

Bah, that video makes it look so easy, I would kill to trade my icons for yours. Try playing a Sentinel with +30 abilities to manage when most icons are blue, the same blue color that the CD fader utilizes. A blue CD fader over constantly lit blue icons and having them flash now too is hidious design to say at least. I can't tell **** apart at all.

^ same issue on my juggernaut that relies on rage to light up, they don't light up.

Throw in the fact that a Sentinel got +30 abilities that they use on a regular basis - most consisting of the same blue color that the CD fader uses - and that as a melee user they're now all flashing blue nonstop and UI = can't tell **** apart.

as a jugg, i culdnt agre more, too manyabilities to bein with now we cant even tell whats ready to use or on coldown.

Clearly you didn't read my post as I never said there was no issue with it. It's great for ability cooldowns. It's not great for the GCD. The GCD needs to be severely tuned down so that you can see it but not massively apparent like it is now.

Hi folks,

Thanks very much for the feedback on this. We've sent this up internally to investigate and we will update as soon as we have more information for you. Thank you for your patience.

Out of curiosity WHY was this not tested on the PTR and up for discussion whether to add it in this state or not? Why are we, paying customers, essentially beta testing this live and then making a 50+ page of complaints about it and awaiting for it to be reverted back to the old design? This is what the PTR is for, this isn't Facebook where ideas just get added regardless if people like it or not! :p

Edited by MJHoyle

Funny how being "improved" twice so far, it is now the worst it's ever been. It is nearly imperceptible the difference between light up "will be available after GCD" and darkened "will not be available on GCD".

Please change this back.

For the love of god just put it back to where it was at LAUNCH before you broke everything. It worked beautifully at Launch. Stuff didn't light up unless it was off GCD and you had the resources to use it. It was extremely clear what was up and useable and what was not.

Ever since each "fix" you have released for a total non-problem has made your UI worse and now its basically epilepsy inducing failsauce.

If you were trying to convince us that your game doesn't need add-on support you are doing a terrible job by repeatedly showing us that you can't handle creating a usable or flexible UI. You just made the case for us for why you NEED addons so people can make this horrible UI actually usable by modern MMO standards.

Oh please ... what have you done to the UI?? Change it back!

I HATE the new changes, I can't see the icons for the abilities I wanna use next, due to the WHOLE FLIPPIN THING flashing like a broken vending machine!!

SORT IT OUT! :mad:

Edited by Anouka

not all of them, i enjoy the new ui reguardless of which class im on my guardian or sage or trooper.

That being said, still waiting for the ui customization patch that lets me resize everything.

I am a Merc, Pyrotect, and this change has serious issues on me, as I have to watch several skills with 15 sec cooldowns, one of those is also a conditional ability that can procc-reset its cooldown. The only way to achieve that now without heavily dropping in DPS is staring at my bars, constantly.

Personally I'm actually quite liking it. Combat Medic, so I replenish with hammer shot frequently so might not be quite as bad for me, but I don't have a problem seeing what's available and the clarity of the cd and active abilities is not a problem.

Obviously though, on this forum here, I'm in the minority, but I don't tend to look at the buttons much, and only use keybindings, so maybe that's making a difference?

While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

I would have liked it if they had gone a middle way, ie abilities that's currently not on their own CD and usable (resources available, procc is up etc) would be lit up during GCD as per previous patch and abilities currently on their own CD or lacking procc/resources would be greyed out like in this patch, although if they are under their own CD they shouldn't "scroll" the GCD effect.

Edited by WereMops