02.07 patch: changes to sentinel or lack of it...

prokonto

Sentinel

Pacify: This ability can no longer be used on Operation Boss enemies.

Watchman

Plasma Blades: Now increases damage dealt by burn effects by 5% per point.

Searing Saber: Now correctly modifies the critical damage dealt by burn effects.

Changes to Searing Saber and Plasma Blades result in an overall increase in Damage Per Second.

Today's patch bring us this & im really happy that senti have buff... but why its in watchman tree which i read all over threads is suberb compared to combat... & combat gets nothink?? I really wanna now what twisted logic make decisions there what is highier prior to buff...

Of course i noticed that too:

Further improved response time for ability activation requests, especially in low-framerate situations.

The activation bar now appears at the correct time (when the activation of an ability begins) and disappears when activation is complete.

Instant combat abilities no longer occasionally start their combat animations twice, resulting in jerky behavior on the executing player's client

Hope it help combat perform well (precision slash bug?)... goin test it now.

Edited by prokonto

Now that the changes are live, can we please verify that they indeed result in an overall DPS decrease/nerf instead of a DPS increase/buff? Math and all is fine but as with most theorycrafting you simply won't know for sure until stuff is properly tested out. Edited by darthtoph

Elites didn't use to be a problems as a watchman, finishing them near full health before the patch, but now... I can't say if it's just getting used to the new cooldown display or the fact I fought different ones, but they're a lot tougher somehow.

I've had to use medpack, Call on the Force and even Force Camo to survive some elite (two level lower then me). I'm on Hoth, and some of the white maw superiors mobs became challenging.

Time will tell, but so far I don't feel buffed.

The only way you can test it now is put away your minion and fraps the video and run it in slow mo and just start adding the numbers over the duration of the video. It would be nice if we had a damage log though.

Bit of an off-topic response... but what's the best way to cap a video of SWTOR in action if I wanted to do exactly what you describe?

Elites didn't use to be a problems as a watchman, finishing them near full health before the patch, but now... I can't say if it's just getting used to the new cooldown display or the fact I fought different ones, but they're a lot tougher somehow.

I've had to use medpack, Call on the Force and even Force Camo to survive some elite (two level lower then me). I'm on Hoth, and some of the white maw superiors mobs became challenging.

Funny you mention this. I am level 34 (Watchman) now, and I had not died in PVE throughout the whole leveling process. Elites had not been a problem. I just tried to take on the Elite Sith Harrowers on Tat, which were level 32. I died a total of 4 times trying to kill the 3 I needed for the quest.

I tried taking my gear on/off, relogging, etc thinking there has to be some bug going on. No dice.

My damage seems DRASTICALLY lower. Very disappointing.

The only way you can test it now is put away your minion and fraps the video and run it in slow mo and just start adding the numbers over the duration of the video.

That sounds retarded when you could simply time how long it takes to kill a world boss and divide [TOTAL HP] by [TIME].

Funny you mention this. I am level 34 (Watchman) now, and I had not died in PVE throughout the whole leveling process. Elites had not been a problem. I just tried to take on the Elite Sith Harrowers on Tat, which were level 32. I died a total of 4 times trying to kill the 3 I needed for the quest.

I tried taking my gear on/off, relogging, etc thinking there has to be some bug going on. No dice.

I am glad I am not the only one feeling this way. Playing this morning something definitely felt different from just last night. Still in the same area as before but things seemed to take longer to kill (not much but it was noticeable) and I was definitely taking more damage. It did not matter the strength of the mob. Just last night I was steam rolling through Belsavis. This morning it felt like a grind with a lot more downtime between fights.

The harrower is by far the toughest mob I fought while leveling. Not even close. Do not use them to judge your damage/survival.

Edited by ShiroRX

The harrower is by far the toughest mob I fought while leveling. Not even close. Do not use them to judge your damage/survival.

Ok cool, I will keep checking it out then. They were pretty much a straight DPS race because there was nothing to interrupt, and they were beating me in that race. Had to wait on Saber Ward to come back up to take them, and it was still close. Just strange that I would roll through the whole game never really coming close to dying, then die so many times to these mobs that were 2 levels lower.

Ok cool, I will keep checking it out then. They were pretty much a straight DPS race because there was nothing to interrupt, and they were beating me in that race. Had to wait on Saber Ward to come back up to take them, and it was still close. Just strange that I would roll through the whole game never really coming close to dying, then die so many times to these mobs that were 2 levels lower.

oh don't even sweat it, I didn't die once in most of my boss fights at a 2 lvl disadvantage, and then suddenly at 35 I go to tattooine to kill the harrowers and I got steamrolled, the harrowers are arguably the toughest mobs in that lvl range for knights, and the game gets progressivly more difficult for knights as you advance levels

This update is going to effect lower level Sentinels (anywhere below 35) the most. Pre-patch, you got a +30% damage skill fairly low in the tree (@ level 21). Now, you get a +30% crit damage skill low in the tree, but your crit % probably isn't too high. Now you have to wait until 35 to start getting the +base damage skills.

BW really should have switched the places of Plasma Blades and Searing Sabers. Sentinels are already hard enough to level, this just makes it worse.

Edited by keltonz

oh don't even sweat it, I didn't die once in most of my boss fights at a 2 lvl disadvantage, and then suddenly at 35 I go to tattooine to kill the harrowers and I got steamrolled, the harrowers are arguably the toughest mobs in that lvl range for knights, and the game gets progressivly more difficult for knights as you advance levels

Nothing else in the Knight story comes close to the Harrowers.

This update is going to effect lower level marauders (anywhere below 36) the most. Pre-patch, you got a +30% damage skill fairly low in the tree. Now, you get a +30% crit damage skill low in the tree, but your crit % probably isn't too high. Now you have to wait until 37 to start getting the +base damage skills.

BW really should have switched the places of Plasma Blades and Searing Sabers. Sentinels are already hard enough to level, this just makes it worse.

No it won't make things worse. PVE leveling is already easy as it is. I lvled both a guardian and a sentinel to lvl 50 btw.

Against those harrowers, you have to move away when they rise in the air. After that, you better dps him down pretty fast. I didn't know that with my guardian and died many times. When I tried it with my sentinel, 0 death. Make sure that you and your companion is well geared and you shouldn't have problem with PVE leveling. You can't afford to neglect your equipment as a guardian/sentinel since they are gear dependant.

Bit of an off-topic response... but what's the best way to cap a video of SWTOR in action if I wanted to do exactly what you describe?

You can use fraps I believe. I think that is the video recording software of choice people use to make video footage of ingame action. I believe fraps is free to download at least the free version has some tools just not as powerful as the full version. I am a bit out of the loop in the realm of recording so if anyone knows better please say so.

You can use fraps I believe. I think that is the video recording software of choice people use to make video footage of ingame action. I believe fraps is free to download at least the free version has some tools just not as powerful as the full version. I am a bit out of the loop in the realm of recording so if anyone knows better please say so.

FRAPS is great, and has a free version. Free is limited to 30 seconds at a time of recording.