I just found out why we can't kill companions

Walkiry

Dismiss him if you're going for LS points or being a goodie-goodie Jedi. Give him gifts. He loves Imperial Memorabilia, and I can't find anyone else over my entire span of toons that really likes that crap.

If you were a DS Jedi, he'd be loving it. I get it though. My main is an LS Guardian.

The companion I most want to strangle is Theryn Cedrax on my Sage. That jackhat gives me negatives for everything I do and there doesn't even seem to be much of a pattern to it. Why would Bioware give a companion to a Jedi who thinks that the force is retarded (even though he sees it in action constantly)?

Bleh.

During class quests while on the holoterminal with Satele or other characters you have no choice. Decisions effect affection for all companions.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During class quests while on the holoterminal with Satele or other characters you have no choice. Decisions effect affection for all companions.

Dialogue before the "final battle" with my JK:

Me: I'll push ahead and clear a path for you all.

Kira, Doc, T7: +(17-40) Affection.

Rusk: -1 Affection.

Lord Scourge: -768 Affection

Me: o.O

I too hate Skadge with a passion. I completely and utterly agree with everything the OP wrote.

The same goes for Broonmark. Oh how I wish I could've left him on Hoth to rot.

Hell, both Skadge and Broon aren't even useful companions since tank companions are gimped either way. :rolleyes:

Remember. You're heroic. So heroic, you can't even "fire" a member of your crew, no matter how insubordinate they are.

Oh stop that nonesense you are heroic when you finish your class act before holidays.

After that you are nothing but a average joe in the follow up, so get used to it .

You probaly took a too long holiday , and the rest of the universe caught up . And became uber heroic .

Now back on track , yeah skadge was a bit useless, but people would complain if you killed him , cause of meta reasons , 5 crafters and scavengers missions doer, versus people 1-2

Cause they played there character correctly :eek:

Well personally i don't have anything against skadge , consider him my ship door bouncer, always tell him to shut up and back it up his threat , and he likes me :D

Beat that stupid droid who can't fight !!

Dismiss him if you're going for LS points or being a goodie-goodie Jedi. Give him gifts. He loves Imperial Memorabilia, and I can't find anyone else over my entire span of toons that really likes that crap.

There is one companion in the Jedi Consular stable who likes them, actually. Won't say which one since it might be a minor spoiler.

The companion I most want to strangle is Theryn Cedrax on my Sage. That jackhat gives me negatives for everything I do and there doesn't even seem to be much of a pattern to it. Why would Bioware give a companion to a Jedi who thinks that the force is retarded (even though he sees it in action constantly)?

Tharan is mollified by two things mostly :

- scientific curiosity

- being nice to pretty women (but not flirtatious, I think)

"trust in the Force" is something like "trust the gods" in his system of values : it means basing one's own actions on something that cannot be proved, cannot be measured, cannot be analysed - an irrational act of faith.

And to whoever referred to Wrex and Grunt from ME/ME2... Wrex was *fun*. Sarcastic, with an odd witty streak mixed with the tough and no-nonsense outlook. Grunt, on the other hand, was just that - a grunt. There's no comparing one with the other personality-wise (story-wise, it's different - Grunt is the epitomy of an interesting question about the system of values and morals of a being that is essentially an artificial creation. But his personality lacks depth).

I too hate Skadge with a passion. I completely and utterly agree with everything the OP wrote.

The same goes for Broonmark. Oh how I wish I could've left him on Hoth to rot.

Hell, both Skadge and Broon aren't even useful companions since tank companions are gimped either way. :rolleyes:

Ugh..... Broonmark.... I can't understand one damn thing he's saying. It's one thing to make him talk in an alien dialect, but reading what he says is like trying to decipher Yoda after he's had a massive stroke..... Plus, melee tanks don't need a melee tank companion and melee DPS don't need a melee tank companion.... why did they even make him?!?!?!

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that found Skadge a pain. Really enjoyed the rant section, summed up a lot of my feelings as well. Having played as a Bounty Hunter with some moral standards and aiming at the maximum Light Side rank I would quite happily have taken 1,000 Darkside points if it meant I could actually put Skadge in the airlock.

I just leave Skadge naked and shivering hoping that he'll get the hint and leave of his own accord.

On the flip side, much of the Bounty Hunter frame of reference seems to draw heavily from Firefly, even the design of the Mantis feels on the interior especially like the hold of the Serenity. Some of the interplay between your character and Skadge feels like the dynamic between Mal and Jayne.

Given all the options available I hope with the hints made that future content will include new companions and that the functionality of droids may be expanded to a combat mode we will finally see the option to get rid of companions that really do not fit.

Op, your rant was awesome.

I too play a bounty hunter, and the moment I couldn't believe was when

Skadge in a companion quest told me something akin to "Yeah, I'll kill you sooner or later. Probably not today" and I couldn't respond by dumping that oversized pile of snot on the nearest uninhabited planet.

I agree with the OP.

Spoiler ahead!!!

I could not believe it when I was forced to take this guy, after wanting to kill him for several levels. I flat out refuse to use him for anything but crafting, I don't care what his capabilities are.

Having that guy forced on me was the worst case of railroad writing I've seen in this game yet.

Brilliant OP. I hope they fix that problem with a rewrite before I go through it.

BioWare are protecting people from their own stupidity, that's why you can't kill your companions. Because you know exactly what would happen, people would kill them on a whim, then realize they want/need them at some point down the road and proceed to cry, whine, throw temper tantrums etc.

Of course, that's what these forums are filled with anyways so...;)

Don't blame players for this bad design decision. If the idea was to allow you to kill companions, they should have had a solution in place to prevent gimping yourself in the process. You can't introduce something that fits with the story but harms gameplay and think it's going to fly. That the idea could even make it past the suggestion phase without a proper remedy (unkillable is not proper) is the real flaw here.

"Hey let's make companions the player can kill!"

"Cool idea, what happens next? New companion appears?"

"No...just dead and you're down one, maybe even your healer."

"Uh...no. Either add a replacement or make the player not want to kill him."

That's how that convo should have gone.It never should have gotten to the point where players can be blamed.

Edited by DesonEQ

I had no idea this guy was going to be a companion when I first met him, because I've pretty much ignored spoilers and stuck to the game itself. The fact that I can't remember anyone running around with one of these should serve as an early warning.

Our first meeting during the early part of the Belsavis Class Quest turns out to be a sign of things to come, where I find out he's after the same bounty I am on the godforsaken planet.

If you don't know, by now I have completed the Great Hunt, where I've been hunting targets and every other hunter that came after my target on a regular basis. The fact that this guy is one mother****ing rude boaster whose first act is to threaten me and it all fizzles out without my hard-as-nails, trigger-happy champion of the great hunt Bounty Hunter ripping his ugly face off his skull confuses the hell out of me, but after previous experiences I can figure out he's going to at least be a recurring character for the quest line.

F-ing great.

Sure enough, this moron shows up, forces his way into every dialog option thanks to the overbearing writer, who I can only assume went through at least three IBM Class-M keyboards putting the "story"line together given the ham-fistedness on display, and on top of that makes a F-ing royal mess every single bloody time and still has the gall to get on my face about it when he fails to do his part on the supposedly "team-up" plans we come up with.

Actually, that bit is possibly well played, since I'd have to be a complete and utter moron to split the hunt with this denizen of the shallow end of the gene pool. Unfortunately, the only other choice on display was to leave the quest to rot (since I can't abandon it) and never ever progress past the point.

Hindsight is 20/20, and in hindsight that's actually an attractive option. If you haven't gotten that far yet with your Bounty Hunter, give it some serious thought.

Anyway, after a series of increasingly idiotic chest-beating Neanderthalian exchanges that I'm sure forced the guy writing them down to handle his pen with a chainmail glove so as to avoid cutting himself with his, only in his mind, razor sharp wit, and break another Class M keyboard while at it (hot-diggity damn I'm good, look at them manly lines!), the oversized slug belches out that he's coming with me, because dammit all I'm not getting to his target without him.

My options are:

1) Cool! Please come!

2) I still don't trust you, but you can come.

3) You better make yourself useful.

Champion of the Great Hunt, remember? Going after my own target. A very expensive contract to get my hands on an annoying Republic dog that I need to take down to get to someone who, at this point, has really pissed me off.

And somehow, I'm supposed to be happy as pie that some... thing I want to deface with a mallet is about to join me while claiming it's his target?

Like hell!

And that's when it dawns on me.

It can't be.

Surely, it must be a temporary thing.

He can't be a... companion, can he?

I choose at random one of the "yeah, sure, come along while I completely break character after establishing it for 40+ levels based on the quests created by the very same writers", and Mako proceeds to inform me that it's a stupid idea.

By Yoda, it's Voss all over again. Making even my companion see it and inform me of it while not giving me the option of shooting Bowser in the face was a nice touch too. Twist the knife a bit, will ya?

So, with Jabba's ugly trans-species son in tow, I get to the last quest area to finally find my target. A few lines of more braindead dialog later I have captured the guy (after having Bela Lugosi faceplant during the fight too), and frog-in-a-can tells me that he wants to leave the planet in my ship.

My options are:

1) Something I didn't see.

2) Something I didn't see.

3) HELL NO!!

I pressed 3 so fast I don't think the game had time to render the other two options before I did.

And what does the homeless snail say in response?

"Listen, I'm leaving in your ship, with or without you, got that?"

ARE YOU *********** KIDDING ME?!

This... This... This complete and utter writer's failure has been nothing but a character-breaking prop that missed the obvious "tough guys making witty over-the-top banter" target by twelve Parsecs, then you have the audacity of making him threaten my Bounty Hunter, and the options you give me to choose an answer from are:

1) Okay, I'm convinced.

2) Oooh, I really like your tough guy routine, please come.

3) OMG please don't hurt meh! D:

I literally stared at the screen for more than a minute in complete and utter disbelief.

This synapse-impaired oxygen waster should be DEAD. Like this:

1) Try saying that again. [Punch his face in until his tongue comes out of his ***]

2) I said no. [shoot him until all there's left is a pestilent greasy stain on the floor, wearing heavy armor]

3) Hey ugly, catch! [Throw live thermal detonator at him]

You have driven me almost at gunpoint down the Bounty Hunter path so that he's the Champion of the Great Hunt, is on a first name basis with mandalore, and is altogether someone who doesn't take **** from anybody, and I'm supposed to take a guy who's been getting on my **** all day, who's pushed himself on my hunt, and who now goes and threatens me to do something I have no business and no reason to do. And I'm supposed to take it and like it!

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Now I have a prop from Jurassic Park leaning against the wall by the bridge of my ship, to make sure I see its gosh darn ugly face every time I get to the galaxy map to go somewhere else, and who already made me want to punch my monitor in hopes of somewhat reaching him through the internet as soon as it opened its huge mouth on arriving to the ship for the first time.

And look, he's got a little quest icon on his head now.

"It's a bad idea."

That's what the little voice in my head is telling me. I believe it commonly goes under the name "Common Sense". It's a bad idea and it's going to make me want to punch someone. I shouldn't click him. Just ignore him. Ignore him. He's not there. Ignore him...

*Click*

Bowser: Hey, what's to do for fun in this ship?

Me: Mostly, pushing annoying people into the airlock.

Bowser: Haha! When do we play a round then?

Me: If you keep this up, very soon.

Bowser: Try it, wimp!

*Conversation Ends without a chance to actually push the ******e into an airlock*

"I told you it was a bad idea."

I want this... this... thing OUT OF MY FREAKING SHIP!

I don't care if it's going to "gimp" me.

I don't care if I don't have enough companions to run all possible missions/crafting/etc.

I don't care if my computer will chew my right leg if I do.

I don't care.

Don't care.

I don't want to see that protoplasmic waste of space in my ship, or on my list of companions, or anywhere else near me EVER AGAIN.

But I'm stuck with it. Because we can't kill companions. And now, I know why we can't.

Congratulations to whoever wrote this guy, you managed to top the Republic-side Voss writer. And I never thought it possible. /golfclap

I can't agree more. Having this forced upon you, especially in such a cheap and completely out-of-character way, is just plain wrong.

IF (!!!) Bioware eventually ever allows us to kill companions again, they should publish statistics of which companion has been killed how often. That companion would probably top the list.

The worst part is, this was so unexpected. I mean,

On Alderaan I could slap that arrogant aristocratic bastard in the face, twice, for insulting me. Yet I have to take an even large a****** with my in my ship instead of shooting him on the spot. Actually, I would have shot Skadge the at the very first meeting we had if I could.

I can't agree more. Having this forced upon you, especially in such a cheap and completely out-of-character way, is just plain wrong.

IF (!!!) Bioware eventually ever allows us to kill companions again, they should publish statistics of which companion has been killed how often. That companion would probably top the list.

The worst part is, this was so unexpected. I mean,

On Alderaan I could slap that arrogant aristocratic bastard in the face, twice, for insulting me. Yet I have to take an even large a****** with my in my ship instead of shooting him on the spot. Actually, I would have shot Skadge the at the very first meeting we had if I could.

Don't bet on ever getting statistics from this game. We don't even have combat logs....

Easiest way to protect people from their own stupidity is to allow us to stuff a hated companion in Carbonite, and hang them from a wall of our ship. Then we don't have to hear them, or interact with them if we don't want to, and BW can always make it so said frozen carbonite has an interaction triangle above their heads when the storyline demands we interact with them, so we can thaw them out and suffer through whatever misery they are going to put us through, then re-freeze them and enjoy our liked companions.

Simple fix no? Well.. probably would take some coding, but even so.. it would go a LONG way to making some of this more palatable.

...that is a really really good idea

BioWare are protecting people from their own stupidity, that's why you can't kill your companions.
Its not so much protecting people from their own stupidity as it is protecting players from the narrow, limited scope and short range of their own game design.

If the game was made in such a way that allowed freedom of choice within the storyline, killing an NPC wouldn't matter - you'd still get to where you needed to be. The fact is though, that TOR is not made to facilitate freedom of choice within the storyline. It's entirely linear, so we get situations like the OP described above and a foreboding sense that our choices within the storyline dont matter - because they dont.

Easiest way to protect people from their own stupidity is to allow us to stuff a hated companion in Carbonite, and hang them from a wall of our ship. Then we don't have to hear them, or interact with them if we don't want to, and BW can always make it so said frozen carbonite has an interaction triangle above their heads when the storyline demands we interact with them, so we can thaw them out and suffer through whatever misery they are going to put us through, then re-freeze them and enjoy our liked companions.
Fantastic idea. Just great. Why wasn't Bioware able to think of anything like this? jeez, theyre supposed to be professionals... Edited by Gerrard_Ennui

Wow, that's a lot of ************. In the end it's just you saying....I hate him and I don't want him on my ship.

Doesn't really cover the reason why you can't kill your companions...I'm luck. Smugglers have no bad companions unless they really play dark side.

Its not so much protecting people from their own stupidity as it is protecting players from the narrow, limited scope and short range of their own game design.

If the game was made in such a way that allowed freedom of choice within the storyline, killing an NPC wouldn't matter - you'd still get to where you needed to be. The fact is though, that TOR is not made to facilitate freedom of choice within the storyline. It's entirely linear, so we get situations like the OP described above and a foreboding sense that our choices within the storyline dont matter - because they dont.

Fantastic idea. Just great. Why wasn't Bioware able to think of anything like this? jeez, theyre supposed to be professionals...

Choices do matter.It just that some time they narrow the choices you make. Just because they it linear at one point of the story doesn't mean the entire story is like that.

Would be better if you could instead adjust your companions, make them more or less dark side based on your conversations with them....y'know...like KOTOR did? Also, in some cases they just need to adjust things to be more sensible...if you had the option to slap Kadge and make him beg for mercy you probably wouldn't be so unhappy. Instead of -allowing- him to join you after making him your peon, you're given options that seem not to match with the character's storyline up to that point.

My wife is a smuggler and killed one of her companions during 1st or 2nd week of launch and got a replacement ,she originally had a female companion but she was kind of mean. so my wife killed her and got a male companion that took her place. I have not read that companions could not be killed or fall in love? referance please and thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.