Back from WoW - This really is the best mmo out there

xxthecurexx

While I have not played WoW in years, and do enjoy SWTOR . . . Christ, I seriously hope this design is not the future of MMOs. Yeah, the voice acting is nice, and crafting has a little twist on it, but the rest of it has been the MMO design bible for the past decade.

If that is also the future, the industry is beyond stale. :(

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with wows crafting system was that you never created anything that was usefull for you, other than maybe crafting some entry level epic stuff which was useless after a while anyway.

I have crafted crap in this game that I use all the time. From my biotech dude which uses his stims and medpacks to my cybertech which crafts all his armaments and mods, and earpieces that I actually use.

You realize that other than biochem and cybetech, no crafting skills in this game are useful. You get better mods by doing normal questing or PvP. You can get a PvP item full of mods in less time than its going to take you to craft/break apart over and over to learn the particular variation of a mod for your class.

All end game gear + mods are from operations (which are easy mode..) 'hardmode' flashpoints (zzzz) and pvp (grind fest + rng). Crafting recipes that fall in operations do not even really compete with the gear you get out of flash points.

You lucked out by taking the only 2 skills that are worth a damn in the game:) try leveling up as armstech and telling me how often in the leveling process you are actually using gear you are creating via simply getting mods out of commendation vendors.

Lets not count how many times I pick a response and the toon comes out saying a totally different meaning.

I will give them credit that some responses lead to different quests. By that I mean you pick (1) and you have to go kill something and if you pick (2) you just have to go talk to someone, but they are still a straight line through the planet. You know no matter what you pick as an answer your going to end up at the next quest hub.

Correct.

In the end, your choices mean nothing.

In a game built around the idea of your personal plot, light/dark side and relationships mattering, nothing does. At level 49 regardless of what you picked, the plot ends the same exact way.

Light/Dark side mean nothing other than gear requirements, and for the most part, light/dark gear are all the same stat wise.

WoW still has better combat mechanics, theres no denying that.

Although both a fairly terrible, swtor's pvp is slightly more tolerable

slightly? EVERY BG in wow had some idiot spouting orders that were so counter productive and lacking in real strategy, not to mention the horrible "I am so leet and you are all noobz" mentality. I have yet to see that here, the minute I do I will probably quit pvping in swtor.

just wonder what game you people plays? SWTOR the best mmo now? great start? good pvp(you mean this laag fest in ilum?)? apparently you forgot about hundrets of bugs which makes this game hardly playlable... but maybe in half year..who knows...

slightly? EVERY BG in wow had some idiot spouting orders that were so counter productive and lacking in real strategy, not to mention the horrible "I am so leet and you are all noobz" mentality. I have yet to see that here, the minute I do I will probably quit pvping in swtor.

Well you will start seeing it--but I'm sure you probably know that already. MMO + PvP (unless radically different from the set paradigm) is ALWAYS going to end up in: PvE nerfs at the expense of PvP, see-saw nerf/buff cycles, insufficient and often detrimental "solutions" to gearing (ie.. Expertise), a lack of transparency from developers (since they don't even know how to handle the balance), a rising up of a vitriolic PvP community, and derision between the PvE crowd and PvP crowd (thereby diluting common interests that benefit both parties).

I wish people would stop complaining about the minutia, when the underlying problem is more fundamental (and sadly less likely to change).

Edited by Traumahawk

Absolutely amazing guys. Really. Bravo.

All of you deserve a pat on the back for basically showing everyone just how immature you all are.

I play both WoW and SW:Tor. I like both equally. WoW does many things right that Tor doesn't...and vice versa. You don't have to like one game in detriment to any others. Well, I suppose if you're part of the crowd that think such things are cool you do. But if you are part of that crowd you're already considered to be less than a CoD kid in maturity in my eyes. :)

Stop hating on WoW, Tor fans.

Stop hating on Tor, WoW fans.

Quit being the Cancer in the gaming world and just like what you like and be happy. :p

After leaving SWTOR after becoming bored on my first 50, I went back to WoW.

Devoid of any story and an awful crafting system, not to mention the complete lack of immersion (Flying mounts and 15 minute hearthstones?).

WoW had it's time and place, but SWTOR is definitely the future of MMOs. Yes, it will take time to catch up in sheer volume of content and many systems (like PVP and space combat) need work, but everything the devs have successfully accomplished really shines.

You actually build a relationship with your companions and PVP is fun even at the bare minimum level to enter war zones.

All in all, Bioware has a subscriber in me for at least the next year, I can't wait to see what they do with the game and can't wait to embrace a community that is slowly being cleaned of those who really shouldn't be here!

BioWare and SW:TOR makes everyone realize how good of a game WoW actually is for those who were taking it for granted.

As much as I liked TOR to begin with, as much disappointed have I become.

For an RPG game, TOR would have been very good. As an MMORPG? No.

An MMORPG is not just about the story. I know a lot of people have been asking "Why can't you just appreciate it for it's story?". I think most can. However, an MMORPG is also - and always should be, about freedom. If a supposed MMORPG cannot deliver some kind of freedom, it moves away from the path of being an MMORPG and simply just end up as a regular RPG.

In this case, TOR is closer to being just an RPG with added multiplayer function.

Sure there's end game content, and more will come, but the journey up to that doesn't give you a whole lot of choices.

I have always liked BioWare's games. They're absolute kings when it comes down to story. However, I don't think they were ready yet to produce an MMORPG. I fully understand, that somewhere, they probably figured that in these days, one of the more successful paths to follow in the gaming industry, is to produce an MMORPG. They just focused a wee bit too much on the story, which guided them off the path.

Now, I would suggest to ofc add some sort of choices story-wise, such as why does the two advanced classes share same story? Most of them are like playing two different classes in total. However, I know the millions and millions of codelines that need to be produced that way, making it slightly difficult to create such choices.

TOR had potential - I wont say "have", cause the time has long run out.

The lack of areas to level in, makes it far from attractive to level an alt, especially same class -> different advanced class.

TOR wins on RPG, but drops on being a Massive Multiplayer.

Edited by TotalKitty

thats not really saying much, wow is a pile, and TOR is not that great.

I pray the future of mmos will take a more sandbox approach and bring back old school open loot pvp.

TOR is bad for endgame, and wow is much worst, it sux from the beginning.

Edited by oakamp

the only reason people give it due for its storyline content is because its an MMORPG. You take away the MMORPG part of this game and package it as an RP such as the orginals or mass effect ect.... and it fails so badly its not even funny.

Its not even close to par with the orginals. You have no choice just text lines which amount to moot.... I can't kill my companions, no matter good or evil my story will not change, and killing npcs does nothing but it does not effect anything..... I can win a war for a planet that will always rage on for the next guy..... The story is fail and does not belong in an MMO.

PVP content is not on par with FPS, not even close. The idea of warzones and arenas come from FPS but they way they have been introducted into mmorpgs is fail.... THEY DON"T WORK!

I like this thread. Funny how it mirrors my signature.

Hahah you see this post on that thread?? i dont agree with it but i laughed out loud.

I want my $60 back. It's a bad game with a popular title attached, and that's the only reason it still has players--who are fanboys insisting the game is the second coming of Christ.

the problem with wows crafting system was that you never created anything that was usefull for you, other than maybe crafting some entry level epic stuff which was useless after a while anyway.

I have crafted crap in this game that I use all the time. From my biotech dude which uses his stims and medpacks to my cybertech which crafts all his armaments and mods, and earpieces that I actually use.

Flasks were used my many players. Alchemy

before cata atleast many items were useful made by crafters at end game levels. Yes heroic and raid gear was better but for most people crafted gear was widely used.

The crafting system in SWTOR is a complete failure.

First off crafted gear that is not end game gear is completely usedless. By the time you are skilled to make something and gather the mats you outlevel the need to used it. Any green you craft are not needed since leveling is a complete joke and you can have looted greens 5 levels or more below your level and still solo elite mobs.

Are purple gear better than green gear and help you more? Yes but its not worth the time or money.

End game I dont think armsmech has any use at all. If someone uses anything from armsmech in endgame please tell me what it is (besides barrel mod).

I believe Bio the only thing you use are the epic reusable items. You wouldnt waste your time with the 1 time use items being that they take to many mats to make.

To sum it up. When you can play this game and never involve yourself in crafting ( be it making or buying) that is saying crafting is worthless.

Hahah you see this post on that thread?? i dont agree with it but i laughed out loud.

I want my $60 back. It's a bad game with a popular title attached, and that's the only reason it still has players--who are fanboys insisting the game is the second coming of Christ.

Here's the funniest part of that thread:

"I wrote an 11 page paper tonight about why I feel TOR is ultimately an utterly disappointing game.

I'll try to give you the best TL;DR I can right here: They made a mediocre game, and a horrible, horrible world. I'd tell you why, but like I said, it took me 11 pages to hash it all out. That's how despondent I am about this game. 11 pages."

-

"You need to get a life."

i'm a pretty big fanboy of SWTOR and i jumped back into WOW one day because i enrolled in that 1 year sub just so i can have my grubby mitts on a free copy of diablo 3

anyways i literally stood around in SW INSTANTLY bored for no apparent reason and then disconnected after telling a couple of WOW friends that i've been playing SWTOR hopefully they come over :D

Edited by chrisftw