Why some kind of LFG tool is needed.

Server wide lfg channel would solve this quickly. Wow had this for a bit and besides the annoying spam it made getting groups pretty easy. Just keep an eye on it till you see people needing your role for the dungeon you need. Also ask people afterwards if they want to add you to their friends list.

As for leveling and having trouble finding groups, that is to be expected especially on low population servers. You tend to get gaps where there are few people at the level and most are playing their max level toons.

It is a passive way to find groups like the lfg tool, can easily be done while out questing and keeps stuff in a server.

Uhhhhh. What?

It didn't change the content at all. What are you on about?

It's simple. Some people prefer to actually socialize or do the story quests to progress and doing heroics/FPs a couple of times is more than enough. By creating a dungeon finder, most everyone will stop doing heroics/Public Quests because some heroics are simply harder than others by their very layout.

Heroics are like the Public Quests in Warhammer Online. Great idea, terrible execution. As people level up, the 'tiers' or planets become more barren and thus heroics are harder to complete without a higher level guildmate running along with you. The game also has too many servers, as I've logged into my Powertech and saw I was 1 of 6 people on Taris, or 1 of 3 on Alderaan, or 1 of 13 people on all of Tattooine.

Dromund Kas however, had upwards of 26 people online at the lowest hours and nearly 100 at peak hours.

My first MMO was Everquest, back when it was still just EQ/RoK/SoV, and to get a group, you had to actually find people and talk to them. Maybe it's just a sign of me not liking everything being handed to me on a silver platter, but I see a complex/effective dungeon finder tool as a form of FP/Op grinding that will have hordes of people flooding the Fleet and lagging it even further, all the while planets get more and more barren.

I like what WoW did after a while of cross server lfd. They added that real ID system in the game. What this did is it allowed you to make friends with people on other servers when doing an instance with the lfd and when finished with the instance, you can group up with that person from a different server and queue up together for another instance at any time.

But I would like to see swtor build on that and instead of it just being lfd instances, make it for all instances. I could see that being hard to implement, but say you were in a group with someone from a different server, you walk into the flash point or operation and be in the same instance.

In the end though, I'd like cross server lfd tool with the real id system, but keep pvp single server so you can create rivals and all that good stuff.

they need what BC had, where you can list your name and what instances you are instersted in.

they do NOT need an automated system

players need to be the ones that actually put the groups together, not some 'queue' system

one of the reasons i enjoy TOR atm is the community within my server. people know each other, they fight each other in the WZ and ilum. people know all the different guilds. people joke and chat on general, instead of just crappy trolling and pug/guild ads.

automated grouping systems, especially cross server, KILL this part of the game.

MMOs are a social game. the reason people log so many hours is because its an entire community you can get involved with. put in a little effort. make some friends, join an active guild.

a LFD or LFR system, akin to WoW's, would turn this game into just another arcade/themepark mmo.

communities would die. the player base would deteriorate.

its NOT needed

its NOT wanted

LFG - my why's and why nots.

Having an automated tool that finds players for you is nice - but it wouldn't change much since people won't be queuing if they don't want/need it (Channel or Tool)

People need to realise that they can do every HEROIC quest once a day - perfect for players who don't "rush" through an entire planet in less than a day - which is perfectly possible. Heroics are not at all mandatory past the prologue planets.

Cross server? No - for two reasons.

1. Not all HEROIC quests are instanced - some are in the "open world", so that would make cross server playing a challenge in terms of "Are they allowed to move outside a specific zone - what about crafting resources, chests etc.."

2. Once people start getting used to a LFG system they stop caring about how they act in a group. Just look at the average person doing LFG 5man heroics in WoW these days - not a lot of etiquette or respectful behaviour. They can get away with it, because they're not on their own server.

Personally, I'd just prefer turning the Heroics into optional "group" missions. Do them alone, or with a requirement of 2 people at most, and get rid of all the 4man ones.

Yes, we definitely need a LFG tool to find groups, but it MUST NOT BE cross server.

The bigger part of the players are still leveling, either trying out different classes or just starting the game, like myself. And it's pretty hard to find groups while you are missioning in different planets. I mean you usually do find people for the heroic missions, but FP groups are really hard to form in a planet.

Now for the cross server part; I think the fact that I do FPs and WZs with people from my faction from my server is awesome and it brings back the social warmness aspect of the game which Blizzard seemed to have forgotten about. I got to know people as I level. I love it when I do a heroic mission with the same person on the next planet. Personally, the server communities are a must if I am to commit myself to this game.

We need the LFG system from Anarchy Online or from Aion. Essentially the /who window improved and linked to a global LFG channel. When you Type in the LFG window it Flags you lfg with whatever message you type, or if you flag yourself LFG via the /who window it auto types the message into the LFG window. No auto group, no cross server groups, just a simple way for people to find other people without having to stand on the fleet for hours.

We need the LFG system from Anarchy Online or from Aion. Essentially the /who window improved and linked to a global LFG channel. When you Type in the LFG window it Flags you lfg with whatever message you type, or if you flag yourself LFG via the /who window it auto types the message into the LFG window. No auto group, no cross server groups, just a simple way for people to find other people without having to stand on the fleet for hours.

We already have this - though it suffers from having a very short visibility on messages.

Ergh I kind of hate how 'LFG tool' has been sublimated to apprently include queue style systems. When five different ways of going about group forming are grouped under the same names its stupid. I'm on the anti-queue side. I don't really think you need an auto group former+porter. As someone earlier in the thread said theres not a lot of incentive to hang around the fleet for long stretches of time.

I don't think we need to incentivise fleet-sitting. Rather we need a dedicated LFG tool (not queue auto-former) that allows you to filter what flashpoints you want. Most importantly it needs to give a way to communicate over the various shards (ie worlds) to broaden the playerbase it can reach. Listing group quests woudl be problematic but allowing you to track specific worlds or even updated based on your quest log would go a long way in that department.

I have read all over the forums about why some people want it and others don't. I get the arguments. Point being is you can't get a group when you need one any more. I shouldn't have to wait until a weekend just to do another planet's heroic quests or just to do the next FP. I have sat in station for hours each day trying to round up 4 people for the Taral V FP. That is just ********

I tried to get people to join a global LFG channel on my server. Most refused. Those that did don't get any use out of it because so few are in it. We do not need a LFG tool, we need a global LFG channel. Simple as that

Post in the channel [level][class] LFG for [quest/FP]. Get response. Join group. Profit

Personally I prefer the way things are in this game. It's fun to actually talk to, group with and meet people on your server again. Running missions or instances and forming in-game friendships. Seeing the same people you did a FP with in a warzone on your team (or the other team in cursed hutt ball!).

Ultimately this leads to a very effective LFG tool known to us old-timers as the "friend list".

Oh yea the friends list... let's see I added like 20 people and oh look there's only 2 or 3 that log on because they got bored to death. Still you seem to be doing fine so let's just ignore everyone else and all admire your little bubble.

Edited by Andyuk

I actually get the desire to have people socialize in order to get a group together. However, there has to be some kind of middle ground. Make it only people from your server perhaps. I mean there is a daily dungeon quest as you level. If it was easier to find a flashpoint I think a lot of people would probably queue as they leveled alts.

One of the problems I hear a lot on the forums from people who don't like the game is that they feel like it's really a single player experience. Making it easier to group up with people would actually make the world feel more alive and create a more social atmosphere. People making friends = more people enjoying the game and wanting to hang around.

I know they have mentioned in some of their developer comments that they plan to do some kind of system in the future to help make looking for heroic quest and flashpoint groups a little easier. I hope that's a priority for them, because more and more people are going to be hitting 50, and that means it will be even harder for other players down the line, even if the game continues to grow.

rift tried to do a LFG tool for server specific only and it didnt work at all people were waiting the same amount of time to get a grp then they were just as spamming it in chat so they ended up doing cross realm

So DPS just shouldn't be able to clear content as fast as tanks or heals?

That is the stupidest excuse not to have an LFG tool that I have ever read, and I've been around for awhile.

No, as a healer I cleared content MUCH slower than a dps class. I just cleared more of it than dps.

Another thing for you pro LFG people. It will require some sort of ilvl metering system. Do you REALLY want to go back to that?

Edited by Maglen

We already have this - though it suffers from having a very short visibility on messages.

There's no global LFG channel and there's no way to find a group that's already forming, only single people who are tagged and the message visability is terrible. So no, we don't have this. Not to mention the /who window is a pain to use as it wasn't built to be a group finder, you can't search for roles, or people doing specific quests, and having to type in level ranges and classes into a single search box is tedious, give us drop downs and more text boxes like a real LFG window.

I hate to bring up WoW and it's Dungeon Finder, but, to be honest, the DF kept me playing WoW for the past two years.

I hated the Dungeon Finder until our guild of 50 members (that's members not not characters) collapsed and I would have been forced to LFG spam General Chat (like I used to) had not the Dungeon Finder be there. The teleport option was nice on PVP servers so you didn't get slaughtered by the board gankers (with nothing to do) while you tried to summon party members (although to be honest our guild had a rep for doing that).

Honestly haven't played enough to have to deal with FPs yet (3 hours game time only). But can see the need to DF especially for players not in a large guild or with friends who don't play at regular times.

people say this is only a dps problem or it would be very anti social if we made cross server yes cross server i think would be bad so on that point i agre but i just spent today with 2 dps and a heals looking for tank for a hardmode FP for almost 1hr and 30 min spaming gen and getting nothing on the fleet so no it ant just dps:cool:

Everyone on my server just seems to either fish in illum or sit in fleet queuing for warzones (~129 people prime time tonight in fleet). No one talks, the few flashpoint i can do, people dont talk. There is no server community.

At least with a DF, I could queue for something that I want to do and enjoy, more often.

Edited by Basiliscus

people say this is only a dps problem or it would be very anti social if we made cross server yes cross server i think would be bad so on that point i agre but i just spent today with 2 dps and a heals looking for tank for a hardmode FP for almost 1hr and 30 min spaming gen and getting nothing on the fleet so no it ant just dps:cool:

I remember a time I spent an hour looking for a dps for maelstrom. Honestly on my server there is no consistency of whats in demand, its just as likely to be dps as tank.

Well actually there is one consistent thing, no ones a smuggler.

I agree there should be some form of auto match making LFH/LFG/LFO tool. Out of my Guild on the Republic side I was the first one to 50. I've probably only done the first 4 flashpoints leveling up my toon. Now I'm at the point I'm waiting on other guild members to get their toon to level 50. All I here on the station is people wanting to do Hard Mode's. Id rather do them on normal before even attempting them on Hard Mode. Yet always appears to be no one interested in normal ones.

Guess that's one effect for having early access.