George Zoller's Unfulfilled Promise to Healers

bobudo

All classes with access to healing abilities (and there are more than you think) are completely viable as primary healers in The Old Republic.

Source.

As of yet, this statement is not true; furthermore this issue has not been addressed by a single developer post.

For weeks now we have been discussing this issue. We've been analyzing the classes, picking apart weaknesses, and proposing viable & balanced solutions.

We've done all of the conceptual lifting required for Bioware to step in and make some changes - and I think given the ability to would even do the coding ourselves - but without any feedback.

We're patiently waiting for a sign - any sign - that we're being heard and our issues taken seriously, and all we've been met with is silence; now a second set of patch notes pops up with no attention being payed to our concerns - and it's difficult to not feel start marginalized.

Please, let us hear from someone that this is either a problem you're looking into or that things are working as you intend for them to work so that those of us with issues can reevaluate where we currently stand with this game.

Sorry to be so dramatic, but the frustration is growing, and it's time for at least something of an answer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source.

As of yet, this statement is not true; furthermore this issue has not been addressed by a single developer post.

For weeks now we have been discussing this issue. We've been analyzing the classes, picking apart weaknesses, and proposing viable & balanced solutions.

We've done all of the conceptual lifting required for Bioware to step in and make some changes - and I think given the ability to would even do the coding ourselves - but without any feedback.

We're patiently waiting for a sign - any sign - that we're being heard and our issues taken seriously, and all we've been met with is silence; now a second set of patch notes pops up with no attention being payed to our concerns - and it's difficult to not feel start marginalized.

Please, let us hear from someone that this is either a problem you're looking into or that things are working as you intend for them to work so that those of us with issues can reevaluate where we currently stand with this game.

Sorry to be so dramatic, but the frustration is growing, and it's time for at least something of an answer.

Which healer do you not think is viable?

Well for starters the trooper needs a combat rez. Without one - they cannot possibly be a viable at end game.

Non-factor, since that's only a failure buffer - if everything goes as it should, that should never be used and thus it's not involved in determining viability.

Even with broken talents my IA is still a perfectly viable healer. I've worked with BH healers and SI healers in Ops and everyone seems to be able to keep up just fine. The only really unbalanced thing I see is that the SIAoE heal is far and away superior to the BH and IA AoE heal.

Viable means functional and implies that it can be used reasonably well in most situations. It doesn't imply that it it the best. Your supporting group has to be made up of characters that can compensate for each other's weaknesses.

Sand

The question then becomes, why bring a healer to a raid that has weaknessness, when you can bring a healer who has none?

If this is the case, then there is a problem. If each healer has it's own situationally unique weaknessness and strengths, then it's not.

If you run with a guild that picks only the best of the best for ops, then there will always be a few classes that are picked over all of the others. That is true, and has been true, in just about every MMO. You can nearly always build a group out of the very best DPS class, the very best healing class/spec and the very best tank class/spec.

But most guilds are happy to put together groups to play, that are good enough - not the best. I don't think that there's any content in the game as yet, that can't be handled by all of the healers, with some tactical adjustments. Yes, things may be easier with a Sorc/Sage - but it's not impossible if you don't have one.

If you're the kind of player who has to be the best of the best, then yep - you're probably going to roll with a Sage/Sorc for healing. And if you're in a guild that only chooses the best for HMs/Ops, then yes - you're going to go that route.

But you don't have to do it that way. There are other healers that are good enough and there are other guilds that don't always pick only the very best of the best.

X

To paraphrase George Orwell, all healers are created equal, but some healers are more equal than others.

Right now, Sorcs/Sages are the best healers for PvE and PvP. Operatives and Mercenaries can be main healers, but they have to work twice as hard for half the result.

To paraphrase George Orwell, all healers are created equal, but some healers are more equal than others.

Right now, Sorcs/Sages are the best healers for PvE and PvP. Operatives and Mercenaries can be main healers, but they have to work twice as hard for half the result.

That's crap, mercs do not have to work twice as hard as Sorcs(don't know about Operatives). Backup your statement with numbers and which fights? Main tank or Operation wide? long fight or short? If not you're just trolling.

I have zero issues healing any boss in operations or hard modes. In fact most are a snooze fest thanks to 14+ button gaming mice and the operation's window. Whack a Mole anyone?

Edited by Brakner

That's crap, mercs do not have to work twice as hard as Sorcs(don't know about Operatives). Backup your statement with numbers and which fights? Main tank or Operation wide? long fight or short? If not you're just trolling.

I have zero issues healing any boss in operations or hard modes. In fact most are a snooze fest thanks to 14+ button gaming mice and the operation's window. Whack a Mole anyone?

There are no numbers, no combat log, no parses, just a binary pass fail and anecdotal evidence from practice.

You are just trolling asking for what can't be given, and you know it.

The sorc bubble and healing utility far outweigh the reactive healing bounty hunters and operatives are doing. Preventing damage with a low cost high yield absorb is far and away better than alternatives.

And the guy saying battle rez is a non factor... what game are you playing?

There are no numbers, no combat log, no parses, just a binary pass fail and anecdotal evidence from practice.

You are just trolling asking for what can't be given, and you know it.

The sorc bubble and healing utility far outweigh the reactive healing bounty hunters and operatives are doing. Preventing damage with a low cost high yield absorb is far and away better than alternatives.

And the guy saying battle rez is a non factor... what game are you playing?

Questions:

Do you have a 50 Sorc that can heal operations, hard modes and world bosses?

Do you have a 50 Merc that can heal operations, hard modes and world bosses?

(I have both)

If you have a Sorc have you healed a MT in a fight that is over 5 minutes long?

How did you handle not having any force and bubble not being up?

In our long fights we always use a Merc MT healer as once they get into a rythem they can go for days without over heating, it doesn’t matter if the fight is 5 minutes or 5 hours. Sure the DPS Sorcs we have in the fight do throw their bubbles on the MT (or spike damage taker) but it still comes down to heal longevity, which is hands down Mercs.

Edited by Brakner

Questions:

If you have a Sorc have you healed a MT in a fight that is over 5 minutes long?

How did you handle not having any force and bubble not being up?

In our long fights we always use a Merc MT healer as once they get into a rythem they can go for days without over heating, it doesn’t matter if the fight is 5 minutes or 5 hours. Sure the DPS Sorcs we have in the fight do throw their bubbles on the MT (or spike damage taker) but it still comes down to heal longevity, which is hands down Mercs.

I don't know how you're playing Sorc, but I've never seen a Sorc. healer go OOF during a fight (and I watch, because I'm jealous).

That's not to say that Merc Main Tank heals aren't awesome. They have a real strong heal, and a great rotation that prevents energy issues which - combined with several means of mitigating heat - makes them great niche healers.

Now, the stated goal was that all classes would be viable as main heals, but hey, the game is young, and having a good niche is preferable to not having one.

I fail to understand why every healer insists on having a combat rez. In my experience thus far you will only ever be able to use one combat rez in any boss fight in end game operations, most of the encounters have either a hard enrage in the range of 5-7 mins or a soft enrage of some other kind i.e. to much fire on the ground for final fight in Karagga's Palace. So in reality unless someone is doing something stupid and getting themselves killed within the first minute of a fight you will not be able to utilize 2 combat rezzes. When a combat rez is used during a boss fight everyone in the group receives a debuff that prevents them from being combat rezzed for at least 5 mins IIRC, but it might be more.

I don't know how you're playing Sorc, but I've never seen a Sorc. healer go OOF during a fight (and I watch, because I'm jealous).

That's not to say that Merc Main Tank heals aren't awesome. They have a real strong heal, and a great rotation that prevents energy issues which - combined with several means of mitigating heat - makes them great niche healers.

Now, the stated goal was that all classes would be viable as main heals, but hey, the game is young, and having a good niche is preferable to not having one.

Um our sorc healers also DPS in boss fights for Subversion. The problem is they are crazy, maniacal freaks who like seeing a steady stream of purple :)

We are trying to break this by berating, belittling then threatening to take away their lightsabers, it’s a slow process.......