Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should look up how companies are allowed to post their earnings and for what time periods? I dunno... or don't... you can believe what you want to believe. :)

It isn't an earnings number.

Learn to differentiate between the different kinds of statements in earning releases and then come back to this thread.

Thank you.

2 million bought the thing. 1,7 subscribed. im fairly sure that means they have "subscribed to a subscribsion". pretty certain that means paying subscribed customers. not "first-monthers".

Indeed because you get the first month free = 2 million subs then doesn't it?

You are wrong. The call has information from the 3rd quarter as well as what is going on now.

I was a stockbroker while you were likely still wearing diapers.

I am curous and give the benfit of the doubt you actually were a stock broker.

What would your opinion at the time been if asked to give advice on a company that had a 15% attrition rate? Would it be buy buy buy or sell sell sell?

Up to 19.50 in afterhours trading;) - the street likes and so do I.

Yea but be careful on this one. Remember an important fact. The game is selling well but EA wont see much of that profit reflected in their earnings reports for some time. They have to pay back the 200 million dollar investment Lucas Arts made beforee they can take a profit and then the profit will be 30%. Remember that before you invest because it will refelct in the earnigns report for EA. But ME3 is also coming so its looking like a good year to pick up ea stock.

You might want to take a breath before you run in the streets declaring a "grand slam". This is a report for before January 1st, 2012. 20 days before most people's free month was up.

Wrong again. You don't even understand what was said on the call.

2 million bought the thing. 1,7 subscribed. im fairly sure that means they have "subscribed to a subscribsion". pretty certain that means paying subscribed customers. not "first-monthers".

Not sure about you, but I had to either sign up for a subscription via credit card or use a time card in order to start playing, just that I wouldn't be charged until my free month was over.

So, "first monthers" have subscribed to a subscription.

Wow didn't reach it's first million until nine months after launch TOR has almost doubled that in under a month.

You do realise there's more to the world than just North America right? That article is about WoW reaching it's first million subscribers in North America but if you read just a little bit more you'll find that by that point they had just over 4 million paying customers worldwide.

Now it'd be nice if SWToR could match that sort of performance but only time will tell. As it is I think it's a little early to be getting overly giddy about how it's doing especially as the released subscriber numbers are likely to include a significant number of people who are still in their first month. It won't be until the next earnings call or the release of more detailed info that anyone outside of BW or EA will be able to say with any certainty how well the game is doing in terms of retaining players.

they said active subscriptions after 1 month. So it may be including people who bought the game after launch.

but still if that is even close to the actual number of people who subbed for the first month then that is very impressive.

Right, which is what I was thinking. I think it includes more or less (i.e., current as of the last ten days or so) current sales and active subs (people who are in the free month -- i.e., bought late -- and people who are in the first paid month, but not people who have already canceled and who are past the free month).

Edited by knightblaster

yep that was 1 million in NA only after 9 month

(4 million total after 9 month)

But TOR hasn't been released in Asia...which makes it all the more significant.

Nine months NA 1 million

one Month 1.7 million

Edited by Jett-Rinn

What would your opinion at the time been if asked to give advice on a company that had a 15% attrition rate? Would it be buy buy buy or sell sell sell?

It would greatly depend on the type of product in question. For an MMO during its launch month to manage 85% retention...that's very good. I don't know if it's the best there ever was, but it's very good.

That is ACTIVE subscription. Post free month. Read the actual thing.

Over 2 million sold and 1.7 million have subbed passed their free month...

hehehe.. This a press release from Feb 1st, buuuuuut the report is written for the period ending Dec 31, 2011.

When he says 1.7 current active subscription in a financial report for the period ending Dec. 31 201, he has to, by law, be talking about prior to and up to December 31, 2011. Not anything after December 31, 2011. Those numbers will be on the next quarterly report.

Edited by Umbral

Who cares, they have 1.7 million subscriber atm.

Some got in late and are still in their free month.

We should care, because those figures are an estimate subscriptions--not necessarily a number that will carry over.

Hope for the best, plan for worst. Or are we all still partying in the streets?

Don't get your hopes up.

So about the same amount of people play this game as people who left WoW during 2011 (Estimated 2 mill from the west) :D... so imagine say 1/4 of box sets we're CE thats urrm how much Jeffryz? 500k+ and thats only 1/4... say the other 2/4 are DD thats like £60. and then the rest at £45. they've made their money back boiiiisss. WE'RE GOING TO HAVE AN AWESOME LONG LASTING MMO. Brush ya sholder off Bioware. Brush it real gooood :) Haters gunna hate.

Up to 19.50 in afterhours trading;) - the street likes and so do I.

It's gonna be wildly volatile tomorrow, probably finish around 19-20. I'm hanging on to my shares, as I expect with Amalur and Mass Effect coming, along with all their other titles in the pipeline, that they'll be growing back up to the 22-24 they were riding in December.

you're right. but still those of them who are playing their free month and have been taking into count have all given credit card information. wich to me looks like a lot more will join after first month.

Not enough information. You need projected analysis on growth before making such a decision. There are some of us here whom do know what we're talking about. And the person you're trollin' seems to know.

So about the same amount of people play this game as people who left WoW during 2011 (Estimated 2 mill from the west) :D... so imagine say 1/4 of box sets we're CE thats urrm how much Jeffryz? 500k+ and thats only 1/4... say the other 2/4 are DD thats like £60. and then the rest at £45. they've made their money back boiiiisss. WE'RE GOING TO HAVE AN AWESOME LONG LASTING MMO. Brush ya sholder off Bioware. Brush it real gooood :) Haters gunna hate.

they made their money back in presales. they already said that a long time ago.. I think those numbers were out before the game went live.

Oh EA, so clever to launch your game when you'd be giving an earnings report right when people are either in their free month or their first paid month!

March and June will be much more interesting, figures-wise. If SWTOR is adding more subs than it's losing then I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

Edited by marshalleck

But TOR hasn't been released in Asia...which makes it all the more significant.

Nine months NA 1 million

one Month 1.7 million

Well that 1.7 million is NA and Europe. Either way, this is still a good game. You dont have to compare it to WoW to make it a good game.

hehehe.. This a press release from Feb 1st, buuuuuut the report is written for the period ending Dec 31, 2011.

When he says 1.7 current active subscription in a financial report, he has to, by law, be talking about prior to and up to December 31, 2011.

No. There is a difference between what has been reported in the 10-Q and these sub numbers. These sub numbers are as of today.