Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Bought 60 days + 30 free days.

Played 40 amd quit. Got 50 left now.

Theoretically an "active subscription".

But I'm not playing the game.

Just reading the forums and laugh :)

i'm sending more time on forums as well, dam i have to pay for this. as well. I do pvp but lollum is killing it. and /1 grp finding. boring.

dont wont wow grping tho sucks, but i dont won't one hour to find a grp, get bored and pvp.

and this is not a PVP game.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can throw out Wikipedia links all you want. Use some common sense, and actually learn a little about businesses. There are quite a few tax laws in place as well, but Corporations easily get around them and pay little to no taxes through clever and legal accounting practices. Can anyone say "Cayman Islands tax shelters"?

The same can be said of how businesses report their figures to shareholders and the public. Yes, they walk a fine line, but it is done on a regular basis.

Edited by Notannos
rude

Actually anyone in business knows that manipulating Fiscal financial result reports is a criminal offense.

Ergo. You're not in business. You may want to get used to the idea that this game is a success.

I wouldn't take the haters speech too much, they're just upset that by the time they finally get to play pokemon with their pandas, all their former guildies will be swinging light sabers.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Massive drop huh?

Ya, and if you believe that the game still has anything even remotely close to 1.7 active subscribers AFTER the first free month, then I have some prime tropical beachfront property in the Arctic to sell you.

Edit to add: Not hating on the game either. I like a lot about SWTOR, it's just unfortunate that due to the game being so unfriendly towards casual gamers accessing the group content it doesn't look like I'll be able to sub past this month.

1.7 million? lololol :D

Edited by Umbral

It's hard to tell with anecdotal evidence. And thusfar, only information on population is the one that was linked earlier in this thread. Concurrent logon peaked 700k week one, now we're down to ~350k. What that tells me is that there are a heavy number of people with active subscription that doesn't play that much (or at all). Which really shouldn't surprising, and this is something that's the same in anything subscription based. Many people keep the sub without really using it, so long as the price doesn't hinder their other activities. I still have my rolling stones magazine sub, even though I just pile em up and recycle them once a year or so.

Is it really *that* surprising that ppl play a brandnew game more often than a one month old game ? The initial drop in concurrent players doesn't really tell you much about the amount of total ppl subscribing.

Ya, and if you believe that the game still has anything even remotely close to 1.7 active subscribers AFTER the first free month, then I have some prime tropical beachfront property in the Arctic to sell you.

You're gonna get a herniated disk moving those goalposts so much.

Only a complete idiot would believe that they actually have 1.7 active subs right now. What these number really say is that there are at least 300k worth of physical copies making their way through distribution channels that have not been converted into active accounts.

Yeah try harder lol

:rolleyes:

We're talking about 2 different things mate. I don't deny that some companies may lie/cheat/steal to put forth any result they need to.

My point was the person I quoted and that you're defending was implying that the 2mil/1.7mil numbers were lies. He didn't rationally state they could be lies. He was trying (and probably still is lol) to convince everyone here that this game didn't sell 2mil copies and that 1.7mil did not active their game. Opinion is not fact.

I saw that to be silly (we shouldn't take the word of an EA exec but we should take the word of an anonymous TOR critic?)

I think that there is a difference between 'lies' and information control. Lying would be saying that you sold 2 million, when you actually only sold 1.7, information control would be saying you sold 2 million and had 1.7 active subscriptions...but not define the perameters that you are using to determine your metric. again, its not lying; but anyone who shows their entire hand in poker is annoying. This is the fallacy that the people quoting SOX are making. (I'll be careful here because I got warned by having an opinion on SOX, so I'll not comment on it.)

But all of that aside; I think that holding any opinion on this topic using a FQ issued 30 days out of launch is a bit hasty...no matter which side you lean on. EA and Bioware have plenty of coin to absorb the growing pangs. I'll be more interested in what they announce to marketwatch 3rd Fiscal Quarter after launch, and then read trend.

Until then...this is all tilting at windmills.

Only a complete idiot would believe that they actually have 1.7 active subs right now. What these number really say is that there are at least 300k worth of physical copies making their way through distribution channels that have not been converted into active accounts.

I am sure that they have 1.7 million. My question is - I am on Ord Mantell with seven other players (oops just jumped to 9 in total) on a "heavy" rated West Coast server so where are the other 1,699,992 subs right now? I have never seen the pops so low.

Also, going back to something they said on the earnings call:

One million unique logins per day, and four hours of playtime average per day.

That means that over 60% of the current active, subscribed playerbase are signing in for four hours a day on average.

That's utterly unprecedented in MMO history.

They have a record of everyone who has subscribed to the game (i.e. that has an active account). They are reporting that number. I don't know what you're talking about.

Cheers.

That means that over 60% of the current active, subscribed playerbase are signing in for four hours a day on average.

Those numbers are pretty impressive. 28 hours a week is on the high end for MMOs.

Can we stop it now with the 'rush to 50' stuff? lol ;)

I am sure that they have 1.7 million. My question is - I am on Ord Mantell with seven other players (oops just jumped to 9 in total) on a "heavy" rated West Coast server so where are the other 1,699,992 subs right now? I have never seen the pops so low.

They rolled Empire.

If those numbers are true.

Thats means 300,000 people did not resub

OR

15% attrition rate - 15%!!! Thats a HUUUGE number when your talking about a business.

Obviously you're wrong, but if you were right, WoW must really be in trouble.

Cheers.

That's insane.