Hardmode bosses need mechanics not unfairness

The only HM boss that's routinely worked our butts has been the Sith Entity bonus boss in HM False Emperor. We're still building our gear up but geez when that final entity spawns he automatically enrages and kicks our butts.

The easiest thing is the keep everyone away from him except the tank until he does his big AOE burst that normally one shots people except the tank. Once that is done, blow cool downs and everyone can DPS him down.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally come back when I have off time at work. I don't shift through the countless responses of people who say that there is a better way to test dps without a timer. Nobody has actually said anything about what this magical mechanic is.

Any game that's worth a damn has some form of limiting its boss fight times. I've seen bosses that straight kill a player as part of the mechanic. Healers mana bars have acted like enrage bars. Add overwhelming acts as an enrage timer.

Its like you guys want the wheel to be reinvented. There are only so many things that can be done and honestly looking at a lot of the fights I feel that bioware has created a lot of fights that bring what people are asking for.

I've said this half a dozen times in this thread and none of you timer haters have adressed it because you can't.

Enrage timers are not a mechanic they are a standard.

If you want to cry about enrage timers being overused and boring then where is the thread saying threat tables and the tank and raid being hit by the boss are overused and unoriginal mechanics?

This game implements adds that need to be killed. It implements prison mechanics where a node needs to be dpsed. It implements smart dps where two bosses need to be downed in a very short time frame. It has others too but what do you people want? The game implements mechanics to challenge the dps and sets an overall standard for every given fight. The dps letting the fight go to enrage is equivalent to the healers letting the tank drop or the tank losing agro.

Edit:

And Loendar Im not too lazy to read the thread. Im just smart enough not to read "I don't like enrage timers" over and over where the only argument being made is "they can do something better"

Then you haven't read the thread. Other mechanics have been explained in detail in numerous posts, some with specific examples. I'm sorry that are unwilling to read them or because you don't like them feel they can be dismissed though they have been proven to work in other MMO's flawlessly.

There is nothing smart about responding to a thread by dismissing valid points made by others because you can't be bothered to read them.

Enrage timer lets me hold scrubby dps accountable for poor performance. Sorry but I love the enrage timer. DPS can't coast by and simply go through the motions during fights anymore? Great.

It's not like any of these fights are difficult anyway. I mean Mentor is the most complex/fun fight in this game to me and it's in a 4 man FP, and while it is well designed it's still not that difficult. Once the fights actually become difficult to even reach the enrage timer then you can complain about tight enrage timers.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against new mechanics being introduced before an enrage timer, but with the difficulty of current content, why don't we just add those mechanics in for the entire fight. Sorry, but complaining about the enrage timers on this content is just beyond me. If it is good, technique driven content on the vast majority of ops bosses I wouldn't be on nightmare level content in my third week as 50.

All the while forcing the group dynamic of every fight to be tank/healer/dps/dps because that is the only way to avoid the timer. Anything possibility to form a group of your guild mates that don't meet the above criteria is more than likely to fail.

I, for one, take exception to being put in a box by a fail mechanic just so you can feel good about your DPS doing what they should be doing anyway.

They are not enrage timers people. They are GEAR CHECKS!

Those of you crying about enrage timers fail to pull your heads out of your asses for 2 seconds to realize the only reason these timers are there is to GEAR CHECK YOU!.

If you could just walk through all the content with random crap gear then what fun would that be.

The entire point of the enrage timer is to force you to run content in an orderly fashion so you can overcome the fact your just flat out not that good.

Then you have guilds like mine that just flat out wont accept bad players.

That is how you get ***** done..... or I guess you could just waltz in here and cry like a little punk! :eek: yeah that is right.... I called you a PUNK!

Wrong. I have been in a group recently with a healer, two tanks and one DPS - all geared up appropriately and we were unable to get past the enrage timer on the final boss. It was the first time I have actually hit the enrage timer at all as I've been conforming to the Bioware default group composition up to this point.

So - if it were a GEAR CHECK as you say - I would be able to do it with top geared toons within reason. It is a DPS check - and a bad game limiting one.

Nobody has their head in their arse in this thread except those that are unwilling to see that there are merits to both sides of the discussion. One side just gives more options to the player base and one forces you to lose for not playing in the exact manner dictated by Bioware.

All the while forcing the group dynamic of every fight to be tank/healer/dps/dps because that is the only way to avoid the timer. Anything possibility to form a group of your guild mates that don't meet the above criteria is more than likely to fail.

I, for one, take exception to being put in a box by a fail mechanic just so you can feel good about your DPS doing what they should be doing anyway.

That's actually a good point. Also chances are your group needs to have at least 2 Sorcerer/Sages, 1 dps and 1 healer, because the other classes simply don't perform as well in the same roles. I'm sure it's possible with other classes but, lets say you bring a Juggernaut tank and 3 Sorcerers (2 DPS & 1 Healer) into a hardmode, you're going to destroy everything provided you know the strategy. Other class combinations might struggle.

Edited by MorgonKara

So - if it were a GEAR CHECK as you say - I would be able to do it with top geared toons within reason. It is a DPS check - and a bad game limiting one.

Nobody has their head in their arse in this thread except those that are unwilling to see that there are merits to both sides of the discussion. One side just gives more options to the player base and one forces you to lose for not playing in the exact manner dictated by Bioware.

Gear check is closer then dps check in everyways. I dont say that players skills don't involve on this but its gear check based of avarage player to get optimal damage to beat the fight . Only dps check that i see in this game is SOA's mind traps and that dosent need much work at all. to get them down before there is to many at traps to not get traps destroyed before everyone is in them. Also just cause you have gear dosen't mean bosses goes down like candles when blow. You still need to ''Play'' to get that boss done. Game is team based in PVP/PVE so if you have gear and others dont its means you need do more work to get things done then with same geared ppls.

Again and again your are unable to see that you are still able to go on most of bosses after enrage timer even for full minute if fight mechanics allowes it (there are only some that kills you instantly mostly area based damages). I haven't seen any other better Enrage mechanism that allowes this and yet keep fight's hardness so not anyone with just 50 lvled can go and clear it too.

Also its good that they have made so that you cant go place with full of tanks/healers to clear it. Who would need dps then? All though some of the OPS fight are prety hard with just one tank even some of thrash packs (exp. EV first pack and KP 2nd boss if you are first time in there with higher difficulties)+ tanks lack of aggro on some times. Though its much easier if you have one dps that have tank form with you.

So far hiting enrage timer is less likely then fail to beat game mechanics or/and bugs

Edited by LupinTheGreat

Just so I understand what you're saying, are you irritated by the tank/healer/dps/dps setup itself? In that you can't do Dps/dps/dps/healer or tank/tank/dps/dps? Just so we're clear and we can move forward.

As for you second statement, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that. Like I said numerous times in my original post, this content isn't hard enough for enrage timers to be irritating. Enrage timers in this game are laughable simply because, probably, 75% of the time it's the only way you'd wipe on the bosses. These aren't good bosses, reaching the enrage timer doesn't even feel like an accomplishment in this game, the mechanics are so laughable that the only challenge sometimes is beating the enrage timer, not some complicated mechanic that you have to overcome. On top of it all the actual enrage is laughable, you can survive for long amounts of time after the enrage in this game. If the boss enraged in WoW it was 95% of the time a wipe. If the boss enrages SWTOR you can survive a good minute or two after to try and burn him down.

To put it frankly, I'm disagreeing with you that enrage timers are stupid, however, I'm agreeing with you that mechanics make the fights more fun. Honestly, these fights need a huge kick in the *** in Hardmode and a complete overhaul in nightmare. I'm not calling you a scrub dps and I'm not calling you bad. I'm just stating why I like enrage timers, it helps me as a raid leader see that there is a dps gear issue or a dps rotation issue or something of the like. In all honesty I'd wholeheartedly give up any and all enrage timers if they gave us fights that you can't just faceroll through on the first playthrough. So in regard to your want for increasing mechanics toughness, I say bring it on, but why stop there; make it the whole damn fight. We can worry about enrage timers when it's a chore to even reach them before the raid wipes to the boss himself/herself/itself not the enrage timer.

P.S. I don't say scrubby to be mean, but if you're not putting out good dps you deserve to be called scrubby. Doesn't mean you can't be better, doesn't mean I won't help you to figure out the problem. Just like if I die as a tank to mechanics, or if a healer lets someone die or anything like that then you can call it scrubby tank play or scrubby healer play. Everyone makes mistakes, this game is no different.

Just so I understand what you're saying, are you irritated by the tank/healer/dps/dps setup itself? In that you can't do Dps/dps/dps/healer or tank/tank/dps/dps? Just so we're clear and we can move forward.

As for you second statement, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that. Like I said numerous times in my original post, this content isn't hard enough for enrage timers to be irritating. Enrage timers in this game are laughable simply because, probably, 75% of the time it's the only way you'd wipe on the bosses. These aren't good bosses, reaching the enrage timer doesn't even feel like an accomplishment in this game, the mechanics are so laughable that the only challenge sometimes is beating the enrage timer, not some complicated mechanic that you have to overcome. On top of it all the actual enrage is laughable, you can survive for long amounts of time after the enrage in this game. If the boss enraged in WoW it was 95% of the time a wipe. If the boss enrages SWTOR you can survive a good minute or two after to try and burn him down.

To put it frankly, I'm disagreeing with you that enrage timers are stupid, however, I'm agreeing with you that mechanics make the fights more fun. Honestly, these fights need a huge kick in the *** in Hardmode and a complete overhaul in nightmare. I'm not calling you a scrub dps and I'm not calling you bad. I'm just stating why I like enrage timers, it helps me as a raid leader see that there is a dps gear issue or a dps rotation issue or something of the like. In all honesty I'd wholeheartedly give up any and all enrage timers if they gave us fights that you can't just faceroll through on the first playthrough. So in regard to your want for increasing mechanics toughness, I say bring it on, but why stop there; make it the whole damn fight. We can worry about enrage timers when it's a chore to even reach them before the raid wipes to the boss himself/herself/itself not the enrage timer.

P.S. I don't say scrubby to be mean, but if you're not putting out good dps you deserve to be called scrubby. Doesn't mean you can't be better, doesn't mean I won't help you to figure out the problem. Just like if I die as a tank to mechanics, or if a healer lets someone die or anything like that then you can call it scrubby tank play or scrubby healer play. Everyone makes mistakes, this game is no different.

Same as he said (his even a tank and raid leader like me :p)

PS. Full 8-man NM KP and EV done whats next geting bored?

Enrage timers are there to prevent the raid from stacking heals and lolwutting the bosses. They are there to ensure that your DPS is competent. If you don't like the mechanic, find a new genre. Not everything needs to be a soft enrage, and no one cares about your "immersion" objections.

Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system. So stop saying this word because however the boss is designed an idiots can call it Arbitrary.

You are wrong, they have decided that to defeat this boss a certain average dps is required. This is perfectly acceptable. The way to ensure this factor is to restrict the time thus setting the required damage per SECOND. You are objecting to a gear check? Well thank god we have people so much wisdom they feel they get to decide where the gear checks are. Just so you know, there are micro gear checks throughout the entire game. You just happen to not like this one.

So buck up princess, fix yourself / your team.

Having no difficulty with the mob? No the fight is based on you playing good enough. Which clearly you are not.

Experienced long time mmo players my ***.....

What is "perfectly acceptable" for you is not for everyone. If you liked being killed in 2sec by an enraged boss be my guest but don't tell me that is "perfectly acceptable". And keep your insults and wise advices like "fix yourself / your team" for you and your friends.

Exactly that.

Plus they rob the player of those epic fights that last for a long time and you never know, do you beat him or not until the end.

For example, there is a jedi champion on aldereen that I could probably solo, but given that she enrages and kills me instantly i can't after all. Without that stupid enrage it would have been an epic battle. Right now its just crap.

Absolutely agree. The enrage timers are not doing the combat better or more entertaining it only forces you to have a specific dps and if you don't have it all your group will be wiped in 5 sec which is not fun nor imaginative, only frustrating and absurd. Everything goes well for the whole duration of the fight ,we have the boss at 7% and suddenly we are being killed in one shut. End of the game, disappointment and all this for what reason, what was the point? To make the game more entertaining? Sorry but for us was anything but entertaining.

Edited by AlyII

You guys are still going, this is unbelievable.

Enrage timers are in everything.

Run out of resources

Building collapses

overwhelmed by adds

poison clouds grow to much

Everything is a form of enrage timer. Just because you don't like a particular kind doesn't excuse your ignorance.

Use your stupid minds, every fight has an enrage timer. If it didn't then if you had enough heals to keep the tank up would equal victory every single time. There is no risk there. No reason to gear up beyond healing enough to cover the damage. Heck being able to maintain a higher level of healing then you can manage resources is in itself an enrage timer.

So yes it really is you suck. Pass it off as poor design but simple fact is you don't cut it. If this fact really is to much for you to handle and is ruining your fun.

Door is over there.

Thank you for showing us where is the door. But I'm asking you this ,what will happend

with the game if more than 50% of the people who bought the game will find this "difficulty" mechanics unacceptable ? Probably you'll be happy with your "elitist" community that will help make the game "better".

Edited by AlyII

taking the argument why should killing something in 6 mins mean fail and 5 mins mean win lets take it even further and say ok no enrage, no dps check, if you can survive the first hit and put a dot of dmg on him obviously you win in the long run so the boss just dies right there. I agree that mechanics should be king but just because you cant beat enrage now doesnt mean you wont later with upgrades. you may be the best race car driver in the world but if you're driving a sht car you probably wont win.

This kind of debate can go on and on forever with both sides giving arguments of why they like or they don't like the enrage timers. The problem can be solved easily with little time required, as already has been suggested, by removing the enrage timers from the actual HM flashpoints to make them accesible for all casual players and all kinds of group combinations and by introducing "speed" HM flashpoints with timers , maybe more abilities for mobs and bosses to make them harder and some extra loot to make the hardcore players happier. This way everyone will be happy. What I found intriguing is the fact that the set items that we can buy with crystals and commendations from HM flaspoints are only slightly better than the ones that we can have from orange items combined with lvl 49/50 epic item modifications, which makes the HM flaspoints runs usless for the most part of the game unless you are hoping for a random drop that will suit you at the last boss of every HM. This would be all I have to say, the solution is simple but then again, many things are simple and yet we do not have them in the game: combat log, threat display, target of the taget display and so on. Maybe the dev team will address the problem but I'm somewhat skeptical after seing how they "solved" the fact that too many players felt that the Biochem was mandatory at lvl50... they don't want Biochem to be mandatory, so they fix it by making all of the good stuff require 400 Biochem to use. That being said, have fun ingame and may the force be with you!

The only issue I have seen with the HM on the IMP (Ops, not FP) is Soa in EV. Those invisble lightning balls. That needs to be fixed.

That is true and the timers are wrong, some times the boss take me and start hitting me against the walls and when he release me, no floor at all so.. i fall and... dead X_x OR he release me and I fall on a lightning ball.

I said in that post that a group dynamic within reason. Two tanks, DPS and a healer should be a viable group. Two of ANY one archetype should be a viable group if they are geared to the appropriate tier for their class type. So, no - all heal, all tank, all DPS should continue to be fail.

Right now, even if you are geared appropriately with a tank/tank/dps/heal (not OVER geared - this is important) you will hit the enrage timer and likely wipe. Swap that tank for a comparable level DPS and it's win. I've done this recently on a few HM to test and it is a consistent pattern. The enrage timer is a pure DPS check, not a GEAR check and it remove the dynamic element of group composition from the game.

Maybe YOUR group can but you are also raiding so your gear is already over the threshold for HM FP's and one would argue you shouldn't be running them at all as there is no gain. You shouldn't be the target audience for them because you are over-geared which makes the enrage timer a non-issue. You aren't the target for these encounters and they shouldn't be tailored to your gear level.

That's fine - I can handle people disagreeing with me. :) In the right group mix (tank/heal/DPS/DPS) I agree that these are simple. Until I started playing with the group mix to 'put my money where my mouth is' I didn't hit the enrage timers. But I still felt they were a bad mechanic and my personal testing of them is showing that to be an accurate statement. They are a poorly designed roadblock to anyone that doesn't match the exact spec Bioware has decided upon .. and assuming the point of the game is to progress AND have fun - it is failing on both of those items for many.

Everyone starts off scrubby in a new game - everyone has room to get better. I raid in another game (not WoW) and every expansion the entire raid force is thrust back into scrub mode until you can gear up in the new content. It's the way of things and anyone that can, with a straight face, claim to be on top of their game 100 percent of the time isn't someone I'm willing to debate with.

On a side note: I would like to thank you Baconmonster for expressing yourself clearly and concisely (and without taking things out of context from my posts). It is refreshing to actually have a dialogue on this subject with someone on the other side without a lot of the 'you suck' and 'L2P' crap.

Enrage timers are there to prevent the raid from stacking heals and lolwutting the bosses. They are there to ensure that your DPS is competent. If you don't like the mechanic, find a new genre. Not everything needs to be a soft enrage, and no one cares about your "immersion" objections.

You're right. Every other MMO that doesn't use an enrage timer on raid fights (see pretty much every fight in EQ2 and EQ1) gets by due to a full raid of healers.

Keep on believing that - I would hate to let reality and 10+ years of MMO fact get in your way.

The people saying the above have never seen that happen in practice and yet continue to cling to it like it is some kind of MMO truth.

taking the argument why should killing something in 6 mins mean fail and 5 mins mean win lets take it even further and say ok no enrage, no dps check, if you can survive the first hit and put a dot of dmg on him obviously you win in the long run so the boss just dies right there. I agree that mechanics should be king but just because you cant beat enrage now doesnt mean you wont later with upgrades. you may be the best race car driver in the world but if you're driving a sht car you probably wont win.

Only you can't.

Maybe you could HERE because on lazy design but in other games your scenario wouldn't even get you past the first 30 seconds on a well-designed boss encounter. The enrage timer is really the only thing being added to HM encounters to make them 'hard'. No new elements to the fight from normal, etc.

And really - at the end of the day - most of you aren't even hitting the enrage timer so the fights aren't ANY harder. How can you continue to support a mechanic that doesn't actually accomplish its goal?

You all are looking at this from the wrong angle.

I run a small guild, we have just enough members to run 8 mans two days a week.

That's the way we like it. I like to get everyone involved everyday though and enrage timers don't allow it.

I don't always have 1 tank, 2 DPS and 1 heals online.

Generally there are around five to six of us a night.

Enrage timers are fine, but we need to have duel specs if they are going to be in the game so everyone can be involved and bioware can continue to make more money.

Then you haven't read the thread. Other mechanics have been explained in detail in numerous posts, some with specific examples. I'm sorry that are unwilling to read them or because you don't like them feel they can be dismissed though they have been proven to work in other MMO's flawlessly.

There is nothing smart about responding to a thread by dismissing valid points made by others because you can't be bothered to read them.

The game already implements mechanics to test dps. Don't complain because they use mechanics and a rage timer on everything.

The game already implements mechanics to test dps. Don't complain because they use mechanics and a rage timer on everything.

Okay - so your preferred option to address an issue that many people take exception to is to simply ignore it because they won't change it anyway.

That helps me greatly to assess where you are coming from.

Every single hard mode boss I've fought will go down before their enrage with blue gear. In fact the only boss that we use a glitch to kill is the bonus boss on Kaon - not sure why but for some reason that dude's adds hit like trucks and even our champ geared tank couldn't outtank the one we left unstunned + the boss.

But anyway, if you're running up against enrage timers some people in your group are not doing very well at using their attacks efficiently or you have a bad group make up (double tank or double heals for instance).

Enrage Timers here are just like Crit Mit in EQ2.

If you need 120 CM in EQ2 and you only have 119 you can just suddenly die.

The Devs there have finally realised that this is not a good game mechanic and are removing CM in one of the future updates.

Now there are fights in the game where "hard" Enrange Timers make sense. Like Bonethreasher for example. He gets so angry after a while for not getting any food so he enrages.

But most fights should be a "soft" enrage like the Pylons in EV. If you can't figure out the Riddle fast enough the Pylons will attract more and more mobs until you cant handle them any more.

Why you ask ?

Because that way you can work with a mob. There can be more to a fight than just a DPS check. Follow the script, hold the aggro, have the heals, have the dps, have a combination of all of the above.

And you could even bring non optimal dps group and still win because you know how to win.

Or you could lose (and res after a short while) a player in a fight and still be able to finish the fight. You could recover from some bad luck, or plain stupid mistakes.

Enrange Timers dont let you recover because you lost dps even for a short time.

Why do i have to run every raid with 2 healers 4 dps 1 tank and 1 off tank that can do good dps.

Why can't I bring 3 tanks, 3 dps, 2 heals or 2 tanks, 3 dps, 3 heals. Not saying you should be able to bring only one type + the needed amount of tanks. But why cant i bring some variation. If we dont have the right people on we can either take a pick up or call it. Even tho we have people online that have the skill to finish a fight.

When i look back at EQ2 Raideing from KoS to RoK it warms my heart. Those fights had everything. Heal checks, tank checks, dps checks, skill checks. Nothing you could not avoid or handly if you had the skills and appropiate gear. You had to learn some fight over multiple raid days and once you downed that mob there was some accomplishment.

The first time we killed Nexona (pre nerf) i had such an adrenalin rush. It was pure awesomeness.

Took us multiple weeks to learn and execute that strat. There is nothing compareable in this game yet. But i hope it will be.