Bioware: STOP new content. START fixing the game

Daedricshots

I love people who just start threads about game engines or content development, without knowing anything about it or even trying to seem like they know anything about it.

First off, the developers who make content are not the same people who fix problems and program the game. BioWare isn't just a little room of 10 people that do everything, you would be surprised at the number of people developing the game.

Second, stop making threads like this, they serve no purpose other than to misinform people, your dragging your point way out of proportion, especially for knowing so little about what you are actually angry about.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS.

I don't care about new content when the game is a buggy mess.

Off the top of my head things that ruin my gaming experience on a daily basis:

• Giant butt issue with robes, still not fixed from beta.
  • Anti-Aliasing still doesn't work with my graphics card.
  • Missing high-res textures for characters outside of cut-scenes.
  • Low-performance engine on my high-end system.
  • Chat window settings, minimap zoom level and action bar lock state resetting every time I change map.
  • The ridiculous and unnecessary change to the visual cue abilities have so now I can't tell if something is on cooldown or not. Note: SUPPOSED to have been fixed in todays patch, isn't!
  • Numerous bugs in all flashpoints and operations.
  • Grass that literally grows out of the ground as you walk because there's no option to set the draw distance.
  • Rakata weapons STILL worse than Columi.
  • Filter by Usable on vendors/GTC does not work at all.
  • Not getting credit for victories in warzones. Note: SUPPOSED to have been fixed in todays patch, isn't!
  • Speed hacks and noclip hacks being used publicy in huttball games with the offenders not getting banned.
  • Complete lack of customer support and GM infrastructure. Bioware have obviously outsourced their customer support that handles tickets to some third party company, i'm not blaming them, because they can only do their job, but they're not proper GMs and don't know *anything* about the game. This results in all tickets being closed with an automated response.

Agreeing with most of this, get the main game sorted before more content.

Man, this thread got me fired up. I don't usually rant, but I'm tired of every new game being released with significant, avoidable bugs and missing features. Gamers are weak consumers. I certainly wouldn't buy a car that had brakes that stopped some of the time, or only on certain roads. We really need to stop defending these guys and vote with our wallets.

Roger, out. Flames incoming...v

You have every right to cancel and let that become a message to EA/BW to get their stuff together.

However, most people come here with little to no knowledge on the development cycle of software. Simply assuming that by stopping new content, you can transfer the team to bug fixes, is complete ignorance on the industry.

As a programmer I can understand why these bugs can occur. It's unfortunate that an MMO usually has so many bugs, but that's the nature of the beast. Cars have different standards as lives are at risk. Even still, they are not always perfect off the lot.

If SWTOR, or any other MMO, had the risk of lives... then no MMO would launch for decades.

It's fine to complain and vent. But it helps to at least have some education on software development before insisting on how fixes should happen. It's like me telling you what you should do at your job, knowing very little to nothing about it. Wouldn't you agree?

I love people who just start threads about game engines or content development, without knowing anything about it or even trying to seem like they know anything about it.

First off, the developers who make content are not the same people who fix problems and program the game. BioWare isn't just a little room of 10 people that do everything, you would be surprised at the number of people developing the game.

Second, stop making threads like this, they serve no purpose other than to misinform people, your dragging your point way out of proportion, especially for knowing so little about what you are actually angry about.

The more months that go on without the major issues getting sorted, the more subbers will go.

Im going to rethinking bigtime around the end of another 3 months about continueing unless a load of in my above quote isnt addressed.

In my opinion it is not bugs that is the main problem here. They are at best ignorable or at worst annoying. I think that there are three larger issues that are spoilling this otherwise fantastic game.

Firstly, Spaceflight. I am so disappointed with this sub par 1990's on rails arcade shooter. Of all the formats to have chosen this must be the worst decision made. I mean what about Xwing vs Tie Fighter?Alot could have borrowed from this classic game. When I fly around the galaxy I want to fly, not just teleported from one planet to another. Missions could use the same mechanics used in the Xwing game. Juggling the shields fore and aft, ion cannons to disable enemy ships, sensors to identify cargos, jump points, gravity wells, all the things needed to make fighting in space a challange and therefor a joy. Not just a Wack A Mole how fast I can move my mouse cursor.

Secondly, Everybody is the same. I'm playing as a Sith Assassin and every assassin I meet is almost the same as myself. Same clothes, same big ugly side kick, same ship, same everything except for the face. Star Wars is all about being different, about standing out from the crowd, about being a Hero. How can I be a hero if the person running infront of me is almost me.

Thirdly, Atmosphere. How cool would it be for an NPC to walk into a canteena, buy a drink, sit down and then leave when he finished. Or may be two other NPCs to get drunk and fight one another and then getting arrested. Or someone comming up to the player and offering a death stick. The Star War world Bioware has created is very sterile. Nothing happens unless activated by the player.

Bioware,

As of this moment it is imperative that you stop new content development and immediately start fixing the existing problems in the game. The problem as it stands right now is not the lack of content but the complete failure of many aspects of this game.

Churning out more broken content is not the fix and its time you start listening to people that play this game instead of staying the course of your own misguided agenda.

PvP needs serious attention and there are numerous problems with game design in this area that need to be changed. RNG of loot via champion bags is laughable at best. Nerfing classes from outcry from people that dont even play the class they are asking to be nerfed is not how you address the problem.

Population imbalances are another source of frustration for many players and xrealm WZ's or LFG needs to be on the table for serious consideration.

Crafting of PvP items for entry level 50's should be an option. Also I hope you are serious about including set bonuses for modable gear in the near future.

More UI customization is sorely needed via macros or addons. This should have been in the game since day one.

Please LISTEN to the community and fixes that are legitimate problems in the game before you focus on newer content.

I didn't read any of this ****.

Read the patch notes. They fix parts of the game at least EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. You're asking for a miracle that makes the game perfect overnight and I'm sorry but it's not happening.

Edited by xGBox

The more months that go on without the major issues getting sorted, the more subbers will go.

Im going to rethinking big time around the end of another 3 months about continuing unless a load of in my above quote isnt addressed.

Ok, um, I don't know what that had to do with anything i just said, but, this thread isn't about BioWare losing subbs or anything like that.

It's about the Op not realizing how the company actually works, the people who work on development of content aren't the same ones who work on bugs.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone or defend BioWare, but calling them out, like the op did, with such misinformation is just stupid.

Unheard of in WoW? BioWare aspires to be Blizzard in every way, shape, or form. Stop being dense.

I don't see how that is relevant, or where you got that information from, but you missed his point.

Hes saying Blizzard can't fix bugs on a weekly basis, where BioWare can.

Don't tell people to stop being dense if you cant.

I don't see how that is relevant, or where you got that information from, but you missed his point.

Hes saying Blizzard can't fix bugs on a weekly basis, where BioWare can.

Don't tell people to stop being dense if you cant.

Hahaha..

Blizzard releases hotfixes all the time, and they clearly announce all bug / balance fixes in every set of patch notes. BioWare is a poor man's Blizzard.. and it's that exact vibe which makes playing SW:TOR feel like a double-A game.

Hahaha..

Blizzard releases hotfixes all the time, and they clearly announce all bug / balance fixes in every set of patch notes. BioWare is a poor man's Blizzard.. and it's that exact vibe which makes playing SW:TOR feel like a double-A game.

So, why are you playing it then?

Also, you still haven't said where you got your aspiration to be blizzard thing from.

Blizzard releases hotfixes "all the time", sure but Bioware has been doing it every week after the month. More than Blizzard.

so a bug fixing patch every week which btw is unheard of for a mmo WoW couldn't even do it that fast. Is not considered fixing the game?

Bioware released this broken game unfinished and un-bugged, they need to do whatever is necessary to fix the game, even if it means hiring thousand more developers in order to fix what should of been fixed before the release version of the game. The only people to blame are themselves, or whoever in the company was responsible for pushing the game out un-finished.

Bioware / EA created the problem, it's up to them to rectify the problem that should of never existed to begin with, at least to this degree.

Edited by SWGVet

was waiting for some1 to say Rift...

still think Rift had the best launch... only reason i didnt work out was because it was too bland/generic...

still trion is ultra fast with the bugs and patchs/content... i wish they would make a new mmo...

1 can dream...

And this is why I quit Rift, bland and generic...plus PvP wasn't that great. But still kept me interested for almost 8 months. I too really hope they make another MMO; they know how to build and run one like no other MMO I played over 10+ years now. They are truely worthy of praise, imo.

But more on topic, readin that blog update made me chuckle a bit. Seems that BW is basically crippled by massive amounts of red tape and a sub-standard QA department who are probalby holed up in a closet, testing builds and not actually playing the live game to compare. This is where TC comes into play but alas you cannot char copy toons over and or allowed pre-made chars with top gear to actually TEST the game at cap. So what ends up happening is exploits and bad balancing, this has been proven patch after patch now.

I can understand takin lots of time to fix stuff but I think the best way to go about it is to actually TEST properly. Also metrics is a crummy way to balance the game, it don't factor in everything. It's better to PLAY the game than balance it all using a spread sheet. Maybe I am crazy, eh?

So, why are you playing it then?

Also, you still haven't said where you got your aspiration to be blizzard thing from.

Blizzard releases hotfixes "all the time", sure but Bioware has been doing it every week after the month. More than Blizzard.

The ratio of problems / game is relevant, here.. lol.

Bioware released this broken game unfinished and un-bugged, they need to do whatever is necessary to fix the game, even if it means hiring thousand more developers in order to fix what should of been fixed before the release version of the game. The only people to blame are themselves, or whoever in the company was responsible for pushing the game out un-finished.

Bioware / EA created the problem, it's up to them to rectify the problem that should of never existed to begin with, at least to this degree.

1. Makes a statement to the state of the game without giving any clarification as to what "broken" and "un-bugged" mean.

2. Tells the company to hire 1000 more developers, proving he knows nothing about how development or gaming companies work.

3. Says game is un-finished once more without any clarification as to what the problems were, ensuring they wont be fixed so he can complain more.

Solid, solid.

Edited by TheLonelyTusken

Hello everyone!

In order to keep our discussions more orderly, If you have suggestions for the game, we have a fantastic threads for suggestions and bugs and encourage you to continue your discussion there. We also have a brand new discussion thread on the recent blog article regarding bugs here.

Thank you for understanding and helping us make sure that the forums are as constructive and helpful as possible!