The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do people feel the need to 'ding'

Guilder

I play this game for my own reasons, none of your business really. Plus me asking why people feel the constant need of gratification over something trivial like leveling is the purpose f the thread, not reasons why I play.

cuz they want to feel great in their tiny mini game lives

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand slightly if you finally hit your level cap or actually do something noteworthy but I just don't understand why people feel the need to 'ding, level 16' and repeat all the way to the level max.

What's the mentality, are people really that desperate for 'congrats, you're leveling just like every other player in the game!' ?

I hear ya. Annoys me too.

I understand slightly if you finally hit your level cap or actually do something noteworthy but I just don't understand why people feel the need to 'ding, level 16' and repeat all the way to the level max.

What's the mentality, are people really that desperate for 'congrats, you're leveling just like every other player in the game!' ?

To be honest, I find the fact that folks don't understand that to be just a little bit sad. Not in a judgmental way, but just in a "the community has evolved" way.

In EQ1, "ding" was a great thing. It was the one aspect of EQ1 that won me over. It was a sign of community and support.

Whenever anybody in the group leveled (which, back in those days, wasn't always easy), they would say, "Ding 7" (or whatever level). Immediately, everyone in the group would say "Grats!" or "Grats, man!" or something similar.

It was a show of community, support, and friendship, similar to saying, "good job!" whenever you made a good play in a sport.

Now, "ding" is most often followed by silence or even assumptions and insults about how people need to feel important.

It's not that at all. It was just a little tradition in EQ1 that always ended in a moment of people being nice to each other.

Edited by Vecke

That's why dying was scary in eq1. And getting a res will restore most of the xp too, so getting a res is very important, making healers way more important back then.

That's the truth, getting beaten done because you only have standard weapons and can't harm magical creatures, your 1st statless "enchanted dagger" was worth boasting about as you could finally hit those wisps..

3 months to hit level 20 and get yourself a surname, every time you level having to get an extra 5% on top to make sure you don't lose it before you log. The dreaded corpse run, hoping that the tarnished leather tunic and rusty dagger you had in the bank will keep you alive until you can loot your equipment.

Having to build a weapon skill up from 0 to cap for your level because you've never used a single handed slashing weapon until now...

Now you can go from 1 to cap in a week and they give you magical equipment from level 3 onwards [sigh].

It cant be for the congratz

Older gamers such as myself, when you dinged, it was a huge level. Two months into the game and you see a level 25 and you were like holy crap

Today why even bother

You can do the first 10 levels in about 2 1/2 hours or less no spacebar

10-16/17 you can easily do in 2 hours easier on DK then Coru but not much

I am playing my 4th character but 1st republic no spacebar started Wednesday morning and I will ding 40 tonight most likely

So anyone that thinks a ding means anything now....

But hey everyone gets off on different things

Just another thing modern mmos ruined for people-no excitemnet about levelling cause its way too fast

For some, gaining a level in a video game where leveling requires logging in and barely being functional, something any chimp can do, is their greatest achievement in life.

Let them ding!

Simples, they saw people doing it in wow, thought thats whats expected of me, and have been doing it ever since.

Hurray for noobs?

People were doing "ding" long before WoW, but thanks for the giggle. I love people who speak without knowing what they're talking about. Which is roughly 95% of people who talk about WoW.

Simples, they saw people doing it in wow, thought thats whats expected of me, and have been doing it ever since.

Yeah, 'cause when I (and everyone else I played with) did it in EQ in 2003, it was because we'd time traveled from the future and copied the WoW players.

/facepalm.

I used to say "ding" back in EQ2 , then for some reasons I resorted to do it only on something more significant events. Still if someone says "ding" I always congratulates them,as I don't really feel it as a something unnerving.

I think at this point, especially for those of us who DID play EQ, it's more a matter of lightheartedness than anything else.

It's not like we're all that delusional that we feel that getting from level 15 to 16 is some vast accomplishment, we're well aware that leveling in SWTOR is easier and faster, with fewer consequences than it ever was in EQ. I'd go so far as to say some people call out their 'Ding' BECAUSE it's not that hard anymore - we realize this, accept it, some of us even love it, and so to bring a nostalgic smile to people's faces... DING!

I've lost 50 so many times prior to Kunark just from being the main monk puller for Plane of Hate and Fear.

[You have fallen to the ground]

[you have been slain by "A Howling Banshee"]

Begin respawn count down...

[You have entered Innothule Swamp]

this is a social game. people inyour guild should be close enough where you celebrate each others accomplishments even if small.

its not like people are yelling it out in /general.

Yes. They want attention.