Why do people cross-play?

acheros

I enjoy playing female characters because personally, there aren't nearly enough decent FEMALE protagonists, and this game gives you the option of making a really ****** female protagonist.

Don't get me wrong I still like my male characters, but male protagonists are so flippin common it's gotten kinda dull, so having a good female protagonist is a very refreshing change of pace.

And well they are nice to look at depending on how you create them.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those not into the lingo. Cross-playing is when somebody plays a character of the opposite gender(only counts in games where you CAN pick..No, playing metroid doesn't play you a crossplayer).

I've always wondered why do people do it? the most common response is "If I have to stare at an *** all day it may as well be a good looking ***", however. The camera is centered around your characters HEAD - every MMO does that, the camera is always centered around the head of your character. Why are your eyes being drawn to the *** of any character?

are you part of the Westboro Baptist Church or something?

Edited by STD_Skindancer

are you part of the Westboro Baptist Church or something?
Uh what? he's completely right. Your eyes are supposed to be drawn to your character's head because that's the center of the screen. Why are your eyes subconsciously being drawn to your male character's asses?

Anyone who has played any previous Bioware games can tell you. They have different voice actors, sometimes different quest and dialogue options, and different reactions from certain NPC's. It was pretty funny in ME2 when the Krogen got sexist with femshep and she head butted him :) IMO femshepard did a better job then the male shepard on the voice acting. In all Bioware games I always play them through as good and evil male and good and evil female just to see the various plot options.

I agree with Fredcat on this note. Which this in turn is the sum of my two points of crossplaying.

1) I believe the female actors are better than the male actors (personal opinion)

2) You can, in a way, control the scene better with female characters. Such as romance scenes for example. (Also personal opinion).

Here's the number one reason guys have a problem with dudes who play chick characters.

They are looking for irl romance in an online game or is at least open to the possibility of finding love online and it freaks them out when they find out that girl is really a guy, or worse a guy playing for the other team.

Even if you won't admit it you know its true. Don't need to be ashamed of it but remember pics or it didn't happen isn't enough, now its live stream video or it didn't happen.

Here's the number one reason guys have a problem with dudes who play chick characters.

They are looking for irl romance in an online game or is at least open to the possibility of finding love online and it freaks them out when they find out that girl is really a guy, or worse a guy playing for the other team.

Even if you won't admit it you know its true. Don't need to be ashamed of it but remember pics or it didn't happen isn't enough, now its live stream video or it didn't happen.

This is true and happens alot to many states, countries, etc. It is rather shameful that a guy poses as a female for means to get a real life companion. As I know, SWTOR is a game and should be played like a game, nothing else. It is not a dating site. Like I said, I like the voices and NPC options that the female has and I feel personally they are better choices than what they have for the male characters. And adding on the live stream video. Alot of those "IRL character to character" romance videos get onto YouTube and well "IT'S A TRAP!" for everyone.

Allthough generally I play male characters like I'm male IRL because I sometimes identify too much with my character and don't want to feel girly :p ; in another game I rolled a female character just for testing and allthough I had the same class as my male main I got invited into a hell of a lot more groups and got a lot more chatter.

So I understand that may be a reason for some.

There's apparently too many unexperienced mmo players that still think gals in game are gals IRL and not the actual bald'ish 30+ males with a beer belly they really are.

Edited by Holskabard

I used to cross play because in most games the toon are smaller for women than men, which I figured might provide some tiny benefit in PVP.

I haven't cross played since Anarchy Online. Although now I think I might with some alts to make the legacy family tree make a little more sense.

The male character creation/ingame gear appearance options are usually not that appealing to me, it's the same bearded/bald guy with bulky drugged up bodies with the standard comatose delivery of the lines that makes me not give a crap about the male options in these games.

Looking at SWTOR, the male characters basically sleeps around every chance they get and that's what it focuses on for "story" while the female characters actually has a backbone and integrity when it comes to their version of the same story.

Unless a game has a huge variety of character creation/ingame appearances for the male characters, I won't bother keeping a male character, they just looks like crap.

This is true and happens alot to many states, countries, etc. It is rather shameful that a guy poses as a female for means to get a real life companion. As I know, SWTOR is a game and should be played like a game, nothing else. It is not a dating site. Like I said, I like the voices and NPC options that the female has and I feel personally they are better choices than what they have for the male characters. And adding on the live stream video. Alot of those "IRL character to character" romance videos get onto YouTube and well "IT'S A TRAP!" for everyone.

Pro tip: Dating sites are cheaper than SWTOR.

And don't commit suicide over a in game relationship. I hate hearing story's of failed romance and someone killing themselves because this other Jedi stole your girlfriend on guild chatter while I attempt to go 50 and 0 in world pvp. I hate that even more than two officer's breaking the guild apart because of some in game romance. I play this game to faceroll over the keyboard and to cause people to rage quit not to watch a soap.

In closing use a dating site, or keep your drama to yourself. And anyone who has a problem with guys playing girl characters do you really think it's wrong or are you just upset because you are afraid you wasted credits buying the attention of a guy you thought was a girl.

for the most part i play my gender (male) but sometimes you get a character in your head and it will just not work as a guy.

i have no problem with people playing the opposite gender then they are as long as the whole reason they are doing it is because they want run around in a g-string and act like an idiot.

Female charactors always have more options it seems , or better options.

Male you get the choice of a Wimp,A Mr.Universe,Or an over stuffed sausage.

seems there is no grey area between being a wimp and Mr.Universe.

But I play Male to reduce any in game confusion...

Ide play a female for different story or story content, I have nothing against cross playing as its been called.But 99.9% of the time mmo =male

Also if you're playing a Jedi Counselor, and its a maile, you're just wrong. Rolling a female that can use the female only armor that's available at social 1 is just a tremendous advantage.
Uh no, both my male sage and male shadow had full orange gear by at least 22ish (aside from bracers/belt obviously).

unless you buy all the mods from the AH or you can craft them, you won't be able to fill all the slots at lvl10 anyway.

I try to keep an pretty even balance, but I often end up with more characters of my own gender. (I think because I secretly enjoy playing strong female characters.) It really just depends on the character I'm playing, and their personality and role. Sometimes I just leave it up to a coin flip, because I really don't see why it makes a difference.

i have no problem with people playing the opposite gender then they are as long as the whole reason they are doing it is because they want run around in a g-string and act like an idiot.

Heh, I did this on my Knight. It was moreso '**** this I'm wearing the *********** dancer's outfit' because I couldn't find decent looking gear at my level. After that it became more of a running joke.

My male character has to wear 'real' gear. I'm not used to it yet.

Edited by zaea

1. Random well thought out intelligent response to do with the role of men and women in society,gender stereotyping and getting in touch with my female side. Also an in depth look at how female gaming characters are just cooler than male ones. Lara-cool,Samus-kick ***,Kasumi-way better than Ryu, er that Ninja sneaky wotsit game on the PS2 umm oooh you know.. anyway the girl was way better than the guy with her twin daggers and had a WAY better stealth takedown. ALL the Tekken and Soul Calibur girls = much more fun than the broody anime `femme boys` with pale and interesting looks and floppy hair.

2.Cos I do so nyah.

3.Always play as girls in MMOs ever since PSO on the Dreamcast (aahh a small tear fills my eye....) with my character `42`.

4. Because all my toons are Psiax,Psylarr or Psyclapse by name and they are stupid names for guys.

:)

1. Random well thought out intelligent response to do with the role of men and women in society,gender stereotyping and getting in touch with my female side. Also an in depth look at how female gaming characters are just cooler than male ones. Lara-cool,Samus-kick ***,Kasumi-way better than Ryu, er that Ninja sneaky wotsit game on the PS2 umm oooh you know.. anyway the girl was way better than the guy with her twin daggers and had a WAY better stealth takedown. ALL the Tekken and Soul Calibur girls = much more fun than the broody anime `femme boys` with pale and interesting looks and floppy hair.

2.Cos I do so nyah.

3.Always play as girls in MMOs ever since PSO on the Dreamcast (aahh a small tear fills my eye....) with my character `42`.

4. Because all my toons are Psiax,Psylarr or Psyclapse by name and they are stupid names for guys.

:)

you're annoying