Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

You're too selfish , lol

and what makes you think that by giving Mac support it will screw with PC gamers ?

You need to split your QA team and programmer on both system, which end up with a lowered quality work, which for the moment need a little kick in the *** (or the producer who calls the shot).

See: Pylons bug supposed to be fixed and Emote on mount and many things.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers.

Mac OS X has bootcamp utility anyway, so it isn't critical for Apple computer fans to have a client developed.

BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk are quite dedicated to their fans. At least that's a recurring theme for them when talking about their company's moves in new directions, to which both repeatedly referred during a recent interview in midtown Manhattan. "We know there's a big Mac audience of BioWare fans ... we know that's an important and large audience. And we want to serve that audience," Muzyka told me when asked about a potential Mac version of the his company's latest major release, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"I'd say 'not yet,'" Zeschuk assured me when I told him that, as a BioWare fan, I'm unable to play The Old Republic on my less than two-year-old MacBook. Though Muzyka was quick to remind me that I can technically play the game on a Windows partition, he also admitted that it wasn't an ideal situation. "We've done a lot of Mac ports before of our games. We haven't announced any details yet for The Old Republic, but we know that's an important and large audience."

Neither would offer a strict timetable on the Mac version, but Zeschuk did note, "That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next. We want to get this launch under our belt and everything stabilized and happy, and then we'll look at other platforms, and that's obviously one of the first ones."

Source

Fingers crossed :t_rolleyes:

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

Since there are already ways to play SW:TOR on a MAC with good performance, no, I don't support a Mac OS X client. I'd rather have the devs focus on bug fixes and enhancements than to waste time developing a client for a minority which actually already can play it with a little effort.

Hold on there... you just cast out a whole lot of assumptions specifically to make the numbers look lower.

First of all, use the full 9% (lets use 10% because its easy math and I'm lazy) - because they could use Boot Camp for steam too, but they don't.

Second, consider the full revenue for the box sales... that's what other numbers are calculated by. Not cost.

Third, count an annual subscription for each purchaser. It's not just box sales with a subscription MMO.

This puts you at an annual revenue from Mac users for TOR at $12,000,000 (box sales), $36,000,000 (sub revenue) or a total of $48million dollars in year one revenue from Mac users alone. And you cannot tell me that expense wouldn't be paid off in the first few months. it would cost no where near that to do a Mac port.

I have been through this for more than 3 years. I've seen every argument and calculation, and proven them all wrong.

EA was absolutely wrong in their decision, the Mac version would absolutely be profitable, and as a shareholder I've expressed my dissatisfaction directly as well.

Money is being left on the table, or more specifically lining the pockets of our largest competitor.

We don't have the information, but I'm sure Bioware/EA do. But we don't know how many of that 9% would only play this game if it had a Mac OS version. So your 48 million from Mac users alone is not accurate. What we need to know is how much more would they gain over the people already willing to play the game with bootcamp.

Anyways, as already stated in this thread, they are not currently working on it, but they may do it some day.

Please don't waste precious resources on a Mac client telll those Mac lovers that they should of thought about their system before going to a crappy PC alternative.

Let them learn a lesson about short cuts.

If you give in to these Mac lovers

ur screwing the PC gamer as those said resources could be used to increase the game for the current players who are pleading for more from BW.

We did think about it... there's nothing on earth worth using Windows for.

Especially not a game.

We made the right choice.

We don't have the information, but I'm sure Bioware/EA do. But we don't know how many of that 9% would only play this game if it had a Mac OS version. So your 48 million from Mac users alone is not accurate. What we need to know is how much more would they gain over the people already willing to play the game with bootcamp.

Anyways, as already stated in this thread, they are not currently working on it, but they may do it some day.

9% of all Steam game players are Mac. That's a pretty reasonable number to extract and use for general gamer population.

Truth be told, an MMO... a Star Wars MMO... would be significantly higher. There are surveys that show WoW at 28% Mac.

We did think about it... there's nothing on earth worth using Windows for.

Especially not a game.

We made the right choice.

I have a Mac and Windows PC. There both nice to have and do there jobs. But what you say here is nothing but 100% Mac Fanboy talk.

DirectX says hello

There is no reason to get a Mac though

DirectX will be completely irrelevant soon as developers assure their games can run on iOS. The question will soon be turned on it's head, whether or not to "port" to Windows.

Mark my words.

There are no current development efforts to create a Mac OS client for Star Wars: The Old Republic (or indeed, for any other operating system or platform).

No-one here hates Macs (in fact, many of us quite like them :)) but development efforts are currently focused on expanding and improving the game for PC/Windows.

By the way, is the native x64 bit Windows client some of the devs were talking about a while back still on the table?

Don't make assumptions, please.

I said we're not currently working on a Mac client. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a Mac client in the future; as various interviews have stated, it's always possible.

However, currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers.

It isn't an assumption, it's a valid observation. if EA/BioWare thought they could make a lot of money on a Mac client, then they would have developed one already. I work in a software company too, and shockingly, we build the software that we think people will buy...

So I think it is far to assume that if there is money to be made with a Mac client, it isn't enough to have been instantly compelling, and Mac people shouldn't be holding their breath for a mac client.

DirectX will be completely irrelevant soon as developers assure their games can run on iOS. The question will soon be turned on it's head, whether or not to "port" to Windows.

Mark my words.

Most PC gamers wouldn't even care if a mobile device game can be played on Windows or not, they'll just use their mobile device to play it. But no mobile device will ever be able to play a game like the first person shooters, Deus Ex, Skyrim, The Witcher. Mobile Devices are basically the PC/Mac version of a Nintendo gameboy/DS, Sony PSP system. They go after a certain market, which is mobile gaming, but that doesn't mean that Console/PC gaming is going to hurt because of it.

If people would like to discuss which brand of computer is best I welcome you to start a thread topic about it. However, as stated numerous times previously , this thread is NOT about Mac Vs. PC or Bootcamp.

The topic is “Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?”

Please be constructive and respectful of posters.

Thank You.

I would love a mac os client, especially with how smoothly the mac can process heavy applications; however, I make due despite my distate for the functionality drawbacks of windows, and simply run bootcamp on my mac. Still works like a charm. Yes, it sucks to have to dump $200 into Microsoft products, but alas, I love this game.

I see many people saying Bioware's decision not to have a Mac client at launch or shortly therafter is a business decision based upon the small numbers of players it would add to TOR playerbase.

- Macs : between 8 and 15% (and growing) of the market in countries where TOR launched (according to statcounter)

- Other MMO heavyweights found the Mac market to be worth targeting (WoW which had a Mac client from the start, and EvE)

- Many big names in the gaming business are flocking back to the Mac plateform or entering the market for the first time (Valve) with undeniable success

- More and more famous gaming engines are available on Macs

So let's get things straight : Bioware aren't late on a TOR Mac client because this market isn't big enough as, their competitors or their own games (Dragon Age being the latest) have shown repeatedly.

They don't have a Mac client yet... because of their DirectX-only game engine.

Now, Bioware have made their choice : finish the game first, have it available for Mac (maybe) later. Which is a terrible decision.

Bootcamp gives gaming companies the illusion that Mac users will follow an alternative path consisting of buying Windows and playing their games from this OS like forever until their management decides upon getting a Mac client ready.

FALSE.

Friends of friends of friends... that's how MMOs become successful. A playerbase is built upon small communities.

The later a MMO hit the market, the largest the existing communities it will have to bring onboard. The fewer the games available on a market and the more attractive they will be.

WoW have been successfully attracting Mac players for 8 years, among few other MMO titles.

Those Mac users are spread out among hundred of thousands guilds, with friends and friends of friends.

How Bioware sincerely think they will attract those guilds when key members stay behind ?

Will they retain those communities when their Mac-using members go back full time to WoW or flock to Titan in a year down the road? Doubtful.

The lack of Mac client have kept several key members of my guild away from TOR : either they didn't want to ditch 100 $ for a Windows copy, didn't want to use Windows at all or were a few dozens of GB shy to partition their hard drive any further.

Whatever their reasons, several other guild mates stayed away from TOR because they did not want to play without their longtime friends. Other played TOR from bootcamp but found it to be too much of an hassle and went back to play something else, running natively on Macs.

It is not so much that Bioware should cater to a minority of players (10% ? less if we account for the Mac people already using TOR through bootcamp) than Bioware leaving social communities behind by not doing a Mac port. As soon as a worthy AAA MMO competitor (or an existing MMO expansion) running on Macs is out, those communities will gather on it or flock back to it, be they Mac users or not. Friends of friends of friends ... that's how MMOs are successful.

That's reason #1 why the lack of a Mac-native version of TOR is bad.

Secondly, the longer TOR's engine is kept DirectX-only the more it will hurt the game in the long run. How many years before a worthy competitor is available on both PCs (including Macs) and tablet-like devices ? 3-4 ? Ultra-mobile devices are where the money is in the very near future (tablets accounting for 30% of PC sales in 2012, more than 60% in 2013).

Whatever is needed to have an MMO running conveniently on a touchscreen, we can be pretty sure some companies will find it in the years to come. And iPad is already more powerful than PCs running WoW when the game launched. Those devices are the future : cheap, useable everywhere at any instant and bringing gaming to new markets largely untapped until now.

That's reason #2 why the lack of a Mac-native version of TOR is showing bad forecasting : using DirectX-only game engines is putting you in a corner.

Edited by Kryssprolls