The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

source or it didnt happen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish Bioware would come out and say SOMETHING regarding server pops. And something more than "we are aware and working on it". Right now people feel like there is no hope and are quitting. No one wants to play a massively multi-player game without massive amounts of players.

I just wish Bioware would come out and say SOMETHING regarding server pops. And something more than "we are aware and working on it". Right now people feel like there is no hope and are quitting. No one wants to play a massively multi-player game without massive amounts of players.

In Bioware's defence; they have to watch what they say. If they speak openly of dwindling server populations that will directly affect EA's share price because the stock market is a paranoid, skittish place these days.

Edited by Quip

I can see the decline of players, if only measure our guild 2 weeks after launch 71 is our online members record, now at the peak average is 30 at best. I myself find it hard to log in because there is nothing left to do, nightmare raids are cleared almost all BiS equipment from raids is acquired and I am no hardcore player, I don't even have the daily Rakata slots because I have no time to do dailies..

The content is poorly designed so decent mmo players with experience might skip half of end game.

I really wanted this game to be successful but guildies leaving one after another are giving me a hard time to believe it will grow to be something more then another failed wow killer.

They actually said they are "hyper aware" of the server population issues. They need to merge 3-4 servers into one. I know they would rather make it look like having 200 servers seems like they are running a wildly popular mmo, but it's only making the declining population problems worse as there's less and less reason to log into these barren worlds.

- Way too many servers

- Out of control 'phasing'

- Planets that are mirrored between factions but not shared.

- Absurd travel times

- Poorly built social tools

Add these in with the declining population and it really makes the game feel like a single player game. I guess that's the entire reason you get NPC companions to play with.

In Bioware's defence; they have to watch what they say. If they speak openly of dwindling server populations that will directly affect EA's share price because the stock market is a paranoid, skittish place these days.

Which could potentially indicate that that is precisely the case... Otherwise, don't you think they would be touting the explosion (or at least growth) of their player base?

Three days in a row I haven't been able to get a group for Foundry. I'll give it a few more days...Hopefully the upcoming weekend will be a bit busier but after that im done. It's silly to pay a monthly fee for a game you can't play.

Which could potentially indicate that that is precisely the case... Otherwise, don't you think they would be touting the explosion (or at least growth) of their player base?

Well, I won't get into sooth saying or anything. But if this game had hit 3,000,000 subs we and everyone else would have heard about it.

At length.

My guild has had steady numbers since launch.. maybe your guild just sucks?

Or lucky? It also depends on what your guild's focus is.

Since launch we allowed up to around 60 players. We like to keep things limited and never wanted over kill. We aren't in the game of being the biggest so we restrict recruiting. With that and looking at the numbers...

We've lost 6 people that have either been removed (for behavior or culture clashing) or have left on their own (normally encouraged because they don't fit). Out of the 54 remaining, 45% have not been active in the last 7 days. I've emailed back and forth with most of them, because we do work to ensure good relationships with all guild members, and they have been pretty honest. They are bored. We clear through raid content quickly and there just isn't much else for PVE Raid-Focused players to do. Run into a tough Hardmode raid encounter? It is usually down in the 2nd or 3rd attempt...unless it is bugged the hell out (Soa).

So you can blame the turnover/churn on the guild but at the end of the day it is really about the game. If the players aren't having fun or entertained still, an amazing guild isn't going to retain them. We had two core raiders that have been central to the guild and always helping everyone and going above and beyond. They were on every day for hours and participated as much as possible. They finally said that the game isn't fun anymore and they are done. Was there anything the guild could do at that point? Nope. We chat every day on FB or Mumble but there is no value left in the game for them.

I emphasized the word value since people who haven't done any type of marketing, sales, or ran a business problem don't know how to understand what that means. Customers will end up leaving or stop using a product if they don't feel they are getting anything for their money. If they feel like they have achieved all they can for their monthly fee, they aren't going to keep paying for it.

Honestly at this point BioWare has an amazing start on a game that can be great. They have several things that need addressed. In my opinion, we are about a year away from a game that will have great end game content. Content that will last longer than a couple of weeks. Right now, this is an amazing single player RPG with a fantastic questing experience. However, not everyone is going to keep rolling alts and leveling to take advantage of the best part of the game. Blizzard had this same experience with Cataclysm. It focused on redoing the leveling process and content in the lower levels and end game suffered. They lost almost 2 million subscribers. If they want to retain raiding PVE customers, they need to look at the most successful period in MMOs for that - BC of WOW.

So while the game is great for casual people that love leveling, PVE raiding community is taking a severe hit right now.

They aren't seeing ghost towns. They log on, look at one or two planets and say ghost town. Same thing they have been saying since launch.

Complete exaggeration. My standard server has tons of people

Same. Trolls will be trolls. Ignore these threads people.

Servers have gone from full- queues to barely standard.

Anyone who doesn't think the population is dropping is living in a bubble.

I don't have time to play like I used to during the Holidays. I have a pretty busy day job and can only log on two or three times a week. So yes, your example might be a necessary prerequisite for your claim, but it is certainly not a sufficient one.

There are plenty of people just like me.

Really? Cause I seen what one light EU server, the rest are standard/heavy.

I see about 8ish light servers for USA. Its not prime time yet in usa either, care to explain your reasoning why?

I didn't know there was a "barely standard" status. That must be a new one. EU approaching prime time right now and almost every server is standard or heavy. I looked for "barely standard" and could not find it.

Edited by Varnoc