Lack of communication is unprofessional

Demorgoth

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you see all this advance notice?

I see a post that was posted at 12:10am CST today announcing the patch at 2am CST today. If you have seen it elsewhere, then feel free to point it out

And yet here you are, posting on the forums... And the servers aren't even down any more, so posting on the forums must be more important to you than not only the game, but also all those other things in your life you could be doing right now...

Blah blah blah, some people have dual monitors, and know how to multi task. And yet some other people feel the need to incessantly point out the "horrendous wrongdoings" of a software developer who can do no right because when they fix stuff it's inconvenient, and when they don't they are bad developers.

Grats to everyone for being such miserable sods. And what's bad about me cruising the forums? Should I just hop on the bandwagon and troll troll troll? I put my opinion out there on this thread, if you are so upset about some server downtime you seriously need to rethink some of your life priorities and figure out where things went wrong.

Downtime happens. It sucks, but it's the nature of an MMO. If you can't deal with it, I'd suggest playing single-player games, or an MMO that has been out for a few years when emergency downtime is less frequent.

No point in pitching a fit at Bioware, though. This is part of playing an MMO, particularly a new one.

Who's pitching a fit? I was merely making a valid complaint about the lack of communication, and questioning the necessity for the fix implemented in this issue to be so immediate.

The Ilum catastrophe affected more people, irreversably, and had both far reaching and long lasting effects on entire servers. Yet it was several days before the servers were brought down to turn off the taxis until a more permanent fix was found.

Irrespective of which, it doesn't change the fact that Bioware's communication to their customer base during times like this morning is unprofessional and unacceptable from such a large corporation's customer service team.

At least when this happened in wow the CR team was dispatched to keep posting "I'm sorry" in threads complaining about downtime. then again most unexpected downtime in wow was given notice ~1hr after it started...

so at least BW is still attempting to notify beforehand.

Overall Bioware has shown more customer feedback and communication than ANY MMO dev company sans, CCCP.

Doesn't make up for the fact that the game itself is terrible.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. There is very little interaction with the player base. There is very little in dialogue around why things are done or what they think about some of the current issues in game. I read Dev Tracker daily and it's honestly a waste of time. There is nothing substantive there.

I really dont want Bioware or any mmo company spamming my inbox with notices of maintenance

I asure you i would much rather the servers be brought down during european prime time than have a totally separate company dealing with the game.

AKA goa and dark age of camelot where patches took in the region of 6 months from US release to EU

lack of comunication isnt unprofessional its a cost saving, would i rather they fix somthing with the server or put together a email blitzkreig to 2 million players saying the servers are going to be broek.

not being able to log on tells me the servers are broke i dont need an email telling me the same.

Just get a second game to play or an offline single player game you can play between down time less stressful.

Pretty sure this was a server patch not a game patch.

Exaclty. You couldn't keep playing if you needed client side changes. They were bragging they could make changes to the server with people on it while they were developing it. It was supposed to speed up development.

Third, the servers were up by 9:30AM EST, so the downtime barely impacted the NA customers. The European customers have a good reason to gripe, but not North American customers.

Finally, emergency maintenance happens. Deal with it.

As for not impacting NA customers, maybe you don't know anyone who stays up past 2 am, but that doesn't mean it doesn't impact them. Come Friday night, sometimes one of my only nights to play a decent chunk of time, I play until 3 or 4 or later. I know a lot of people, including various guildmates, who also play very late (or early, depends on your point of view). While I agree it more strongly affected the EU customers, don't discount NA customers who also play in those windows, and remember that are various timezones that are affected so it is not necessarily a simple answer.

fanbois spotted in thread

but yeah this downtime was pretty pointless as i'm still getting game crashes

game was stable before but each patch seems to make it worse

So by understanding the necessity for an emergency patch for any game instantly makes you a fanboy? I would hold this opinion if it were Battlefield, CoD, WoW, or whatever game that hinges on online play. Sometimes it is necessary to have these fixes; there's no subtext to read beyond this discourse.

I agree with the OP.

The notification was either poorly written, or purposefully evasive. Down time announced 8 hours before it happens isn't system maintenance. Maintenance is something that occurs at regular intervals, like that stuff in the back of the owners manual of your car.

Trust us, I think a large portion of the community are veteran mmo players and are very happy with Bioware's launch. We have been through many mmo launches which were error fraught and/or bordered on unplayable. An short notice outage ("emergency") we'll understand. But please trust us and call it what it is, and explain in the notice what is being addressed.

So by understanding the necessity for an emergency patch for any game instantly makes you a fanboy? I would hold this opinion if it were Battlefield, CoD, WoW, or whatever game that hinges on online play. Sometimes it is necessary to have these fixes; there's no subtext to read beyond this discourse.

did i specify which was the fanboys statement....

stop jumping to the good ship Conclusion, Captain Oblivious

How is it an emergency if they waited over 8 hours to deploy it, which is coincidentally the exact same normal time for patches. Emergencies by their very nature are dealt with immediately. So, about 8pm US time, not 8am GMT!

I agree with the OP. The lack of communication is astonishing. A lot of anger can be avoided by simply talking to the people.

But you never seem to share information with your customers or if you do, it's after the damage was already done.

BW was like this with General beta testers too. We hardly ever had communication with them, and as you can see with the release of the game, they didn't listen to complaints we had either.

I am, however, fine with them taking down servers to improve stability with players.

Edited by Tiam

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. There is very little interaction with the player base. There is very little in dialogue around why things are done or what they think about some of the current issues in game. I read Dev Tracker daily and it's honestly a waste of time. There is nothing substantive there.

There is only 1 dev company that actually engages in "dialogue" that I can think of, CCCp, makers of EVE. Bioware is pretty quick to post yellows on the forums regarding issues and their attempts to make this game better, they just fail hard at actual implementation.

BW was like this with General beta testers too. We hardly ever had communication with them, and as you can see with the release of the game, they didn't listen to complaints we had either.

i like how the Ilum exploit was explained to them and they still released it, then pissed everyone off by having to patch it.

Is anyone actually in charge in Bioware?

No warning? I got the tweet around 5pm my time a full 9 hours before the downtime, even had link to direct post on website.

"The #SWTOR servers will be coming down early tomorrow morning (CST) for a patch deployment. More info: bit.ly/xF92CL "

Noone's debating the necessity of the fix, merely that it could've waited until the announced downtime 3 days later.

Hello,

Rather than blindly complain, I find it notable that they did not wait even though it would have been easier for them to wait.

That suggests to me that they found waiting to be a very bad idea.

When a developer rushes like mad to fix a problem, you probably should be very glad they fixed it, even if it was inconvenient. They don't make such fixes for fun. They don't hurry because it is a delight. They do it because they feel they have to.

No warning? I got the tweet around 5pm my time a full 9 hours before the downtime, even had link to direct post on website.

"The #SWTOR servers will be coming down early tomorrow morning (CST) for a patch deployment. More info: bit.ly/xF92CL "

Not everyone uses twitter or social networking for that matter. We should not have to rely on game updates that way. There are many ways they could have gone about announcing the downtime better. I do agree, the level of communication is downright pathetic.

Edited by Skaara

Not everyone uses twitter or social networking for that matter. We should not have to rely on game updates that way.

^^This 1000% THIS ^^

Honestly they should call this the unoffical forums, for all the updates we get from bioware.

Hello,

Rather than blindly complain, I find it notable that they did not wait even though it would have been easier for them to wait.

That suggests to me that they found waiting to be a very bad idea.

When a developer rushes like mad to fix a problem, you probably should be very glad they fixed it, even if it was inconvenient. They don't make such fixes for fun. They don't hurry because it is a delight. They do it because they feel they have to.

which is all well and good. but they haven't completely fixed the issue :(

not that i dont understand that it may be hard for them to get it fixed first time, just want to highlight that they still need to work on it rather then assume its all ok