The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Make "Real" space combat.

doctoruniverse

The game should have had real space combat simulation instead of rails on shooters.

I am talking the ability to choose your own ship (fighter class ) customize it like now and the ability to fly to any part of the game manually.

This is one huge step that could have redeemed the game alittle.

Did you play Star Wars Galaxies when it had Space Combat?

When you were fighting ship to ship it was exciting and drew you in. Made you feel like a fighter pilot!

... Conversely when there was nothing around, there was NOTHING around and made you hit your head to the desk in boredom as you traveled from one location to another.

Add in that SWG didn't open Space Combat until an expansion later. Be thankful we even get this. I'm sure Bioware has plans to expand on it later but have other concerns first. Give them time.

The space combat in SWG was by all reports awesome. I'd be down for that. But no to an outright space sim. It's too easy for those to be more boring than watching golf... and that is freaking boring.

The problem with space is that there is so much of it.

Edited by Brickabrack

Space combat in SWG could be awesome. It could also be as dull as ditch water.

Running around your friend's YT-1300 was fun though. Especially as you could jump in to one of the gunnery seats and shoot things if you flew in to combat.

Edited by HELhikari

As a former SWG player, Jump to Lightspeed is the only reason I stayed after the 2 crippling 're-writes'. My guild was based around a military flight squadron. And though gear did make a difference in space combat, the majority of the skill and challenge was of and to the player. You had to have some "chops" to fly. I rather enjoyed teaching new "nuggets" the basics of combat. And I really miss my x-wing.

The A-Wing: Not a lot of firepower, but it's smaller profile made it a difficult target. Very nimble, it's quick and sensitive controls took practice to get used to.

The X-Wing, the republic's workhorse, packing a suitable load of firepower to get the job done. Not as nimble as the A-Wing, but it could take more of a beating.

The B-Wing, here SoE needed some help. It packed a huge amount of firepower, and a simultaneous shot from one of these could usually take out any other fighter. This was counterbalanced by a massively exaggerated difficulty in handling it. One needed a great deal of timing to maneuver and fire effectively. One on one with a more nimble opponent and the outcome was almost always in doubt. But if you learned it well, it was fearsome.

So yeah, I miss real space combat. It took SoE a year to release the expansion. I hope Bioware does the same.

Real space combat? You mean like with no banking of aircrafts and only bulky ships moving around slowly with manuevering thrusters?

Real Star Wars movie fake space combat (i.e. like that in most space combat games, atmospheric combat in "space").

Those games that have mirrored actual real space physic aren't much fun, at least not at anything less than the Captial Ship level.

Personally I'd like to see something better than SWG JTL, perhaps a little more limited, but also more consistantly fun.

Oh I'd love it if they took out the WWII air combat model (such as SWG JTL had) and implement newtonian physics. Think BSG when a viper pilot flipped on their tail to check their 6. While never shown in the movies, the SW universe has plenty of examples in their books.

The biggest obstacle to this flight model in the past has been players who don't understand it, and can't adapt to maneuvering.

Oh I'd love it if they took out the WWII air combat model (such as SWG JTL had) and implement newtonian physics. Think BSG when a viper pilot flipped on their tail to check their 6. While never shown in the movies, the SW universe has plenty of examples in their books.

The biggest obstacle to this flight model in the past has been players who don't understand it, and can't adapt to maneuvering.

Elite let you do things like that.

Newtonian physics in modern games would screw so many people up :)

Edited by HELhikari

Meh.

I'd be happy if they just slapped in a copy of the old X -wing for DOS for space combat. They don't even need to upgrade the graphics much,.

For sure. TIE Fighter was an awsome game too. I'm hoping for something like this. I think Space Battlegrounds would be pretty awsome. The possible variables and dynamics between capital ships, dog fighters and bombers would be endless.

The space combat in SWG was by all reports awesome. I'd be down for that. But no to an outright space sim. It's too easy for those to be more boring than watching golf... and that is freaking boring.

The problem with space is that there is so much of it.

It was pretty fun, for sure but at the same time is was basicaly a FPS like game in side of an RPG.

Problem is most movie/T.V. ships aren't really designed for newtonian space combat. They're designed to look cool to our esthetic.

I'd imagine a ship designed for space combat would basically be a ball with thrusters at the end of all 3 axis (designed to vector thrust), with gun's sticking off every which way.

So while traveling one direction, could fire in multiple others... without having to do something silly like flip the entire bloody ship around.

And I'm not really sure how the heck you'd control that. Probably by computer. :)

Guess 3d mouse for direction, and a joystick for each of the gun mounts.

I'm mostly curious where they would get the research material from for "real" space combat, since it doesn't really exist.

Are you talking about a space combat simulator? Because that would be including an entirely different game inside of their MMO, which.... is fine by some means but doesn't really do an MMO justice.

I recommend EVE for people who want to get more involved in Space and ships, traveling around a LOT, and then traveling some more so that you can go to the next place and travel to a star port and travel again.

Or, I don't know... really what you're looking for OP...?

The game should have had real space combat simulation instead of rails on shooters.

I am talking the ability to choose your own ship (fighter class ) customize it like now and the ability to fly to any part of the game manually.

This is one huge step that could have redeemed the game alittle.

They've tried to do too much, too quickly and thereby fumbled a bit... I for one, wouldn't have been too appalled by a lack of spacecraft combat etc in the game, with of course a proviso that it would come at some later stage (ala Galaxies). Thus allowing a more focused , extensive and considered implimentation ....... rather than a half baked one.

What is in is actually worse than nothing at all. It's just too jarring not to mention limited.

Maybe they could add Space Combat Warzones, where you take your ship and have missions with several objectives against enemy players. That would be a fun addition, and add ways to customize the exterior and interior would be lovely as well.

Yeah, I haven't even touched one space mission until BioWare implements a better space adventure system.

I will say this. Implementing real space physics in a Star Wars game doesn't work. I was in the JTL beta and was an advocate for this myself. Devs even started out with this design implemented. But through the beta test it became apparent that such physics didn't feel like Star Wars. At all. By the launch of JTL, an atmospheric model was in place for flight and I was forced to admit it was the correct choice.

I can't be the only one who doesn't enjoy "real" flight sim mechanics. Nothing like flying 2km past your target and have to loop back around just to try for another shot because you misjudged your acceleration versus velocity.

At first I was very distrustful of TOR's space combat system. But I came to love it pretty quickly. It removes everything I hate about space sims, and enhances the parts I actually enjoy.