A "project with space that will expand the game significantly"

daemian

"We’re working on adding new single player missions to the space game, and we’re actually working right now on another project with space that will expand the game significantly."

This is something I'm really looking foward to, to put it mildly. TOR's space combat is fun, I'm enjoying it in spite of my long held dislike for tunnel shooters.

But... it's not really part of the game. My characters aren't piloting the ship, it's more like they're firing up the Nintendo. For me personally, being able to get into the pilot's chair and then actually control the ship will add a whole new dimension that right now is seriously lacking.

Maybe we'll even see some PVP. Group roles in combat on the same ship? Customization and crafting? More ships?!

Too much to hope for all this in the 1.2 update?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/01/26/interview-biowares-cory-butler-and-the-future-of-star-wars-the-old-republic/

Edited by daemian

My guess it's just gonna be one more layer on top of their token system so we can pretend to buy more crud we don't need when we complete missions.

I really hope they don't phrase it like that in the marketing material.

^ Personally... I would love that. JTL was great.

A REAL space game would instantly re-kindle my love for this game. I'm looking forward to this very much and can't wait to see what the devs have in store for us with future announcements.

Personally, I have little interest for the space battles in their current state, and I generally just skip out on doing them entirely...

I do like the sound of something more expanded, though. It'll be enough to at least get me curious about it again, if not more.

"We’re working on adding new single player missions to the space game, and we’re actually working right now on another project with space that will expand the game significantly."

This is something I'm really looking foward to, to put it mildly. TOR's space combat is fun, I'm enjoying it in spite of my long held dislike for tunnel shooters.

But... it's not really part of the game. My characters aren't piloting the ship, it's more like they're firing up the Nintendo. For me personally, being able to get into the pilot's chair and then actually control the ship will add a whole new dimension that right now is seriously lacking.

Maybe we'll even see some PVP. Group roles in combat on the same ship? Customization and crafting? More ships?!

Too much to hope for all this in the 1.2 update?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/01/26/interview-biowares-cory-butler-and-the-future-of-star-wars-the-old-republic/

My guess would be free flying Space Warzones.

But i doubt we will see that before even 1.3

good find on that article btw thanks it was a good read.

Edited by jarjarloves

JTL was a masterpiece. Building your own ship and customizing it, naming it, that is what it's all about. Unfortunately with the "crew" element in the game as it is, you can't really fly around in a little X-wing or TIE fighter (or the equivalent at the time)... which is really a tragedy.

I imagine we will be able to have custom ships but they will all be moderately large. I hope that they incorporate a free-flight system, allowing us to find randomly-spawning asteroids and planets and farm them for minerals etc.

I think if you look it from the Mass Effect perspective, that's more or less what you can expect.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they looked back to the 90's space simulators, but I doubt that will happen.

Space combat seems so tacked on, at first before I did it, I thought it would be terrible. Then I did a few missions and thought it was ok, mostly due to the XP the dailies give. Nowadays I pretty much fall asleep while doing them.

If Bioware simply copy/pasted Galaxies' space system I would be very happy. Even the same exact graphics and everything, just borrow some of SWG's now unused servers and set it up!

JTL was a masterpiece. Building your own ship and customizing it, naming it, that is what it's all about. Unfortunately with the "crew" element in the game as it is, you can't really fly around in a little X-wing or TIE fighter (or the equivalent at the time)... which is really a tragedy.

I imagine we will be able to have custom ships but they will all be moderately large. I hope that they incorporate a free-flight system, allowing us to find randomly-spawning asteroids and planets and farm them for minerals etc.

I think if you look it from the Mass Effect perspective, that's more or less what you can expect.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they looked back to the 90's space simulators, but I doubt that will happen.

I could definitely see smaller fighters and different models available for purchase or crafted, basically just like JTL, much like we can buy speeders now. That's what I really want to see, if I'm honest. ;)

The crew can stay on the class ship, making my stuff.

I don't think it's to be excluded to have smaller ships in addition to our main one. No one says we can have only one no? :D

My 2 cents: (More like a wish list)

Cooperative space missions, where you and a friend fly essentially parallel tracks (ie, he doesn't crowd your screen, and vice versa).

The ability to do your own missions for crafting items. Here’s an example: Fly in to an abandoned freighter, take out a few scavengers and pirates, get the loot and get out. This is mostly for immersion purposes.

Someone else posted this already, but fighters. The ability to have your companion as a wingman would be cool, too.

My own capital ship! OK getting greedy here I know, and guilds need theirs first, to be sure. I don't want anything big, just something to land my ship and maybe dock a few fighters (one for my and one for my companion - see above).

Some of these may be unrealistic given amount of work and game limitations, but hey, a guy can dream.

My guess for 1.2, it's just gonna be one more layer on top of their token system so we can pretend to buy more crud we don't need when we complete missions.

are you talking about the real world economy?

or talking about every game on the face of the Earth? It's a game...complaining about fundamental mechanics of a game is funny.

@OP and fellow posters: PLEASE don't get your hopes up. Don't you ever learn? You're taking 1 or 2 words from a dev and injecting all your expectations into them.

What is significant to him and what is significant to a player are 2 very different things.

Edited by Brickabrack

OP: PLEASE don't get your hopes up. Don't you ever learn? You're taking 1 or 2 words from a dev and injecting all your expectations into them.

What is significant to him and what is significant to a player are 2 very different things.

Whilst I'm hopeful they will do something significant, you're absolutely right.

Going by Biowares statements of intent whilst the were running WAR, it could literally just mean you might be able to chose the colour of your ships laser bolts.

There were a lot of promises and not much follow through.