The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why is Crafted Gear not the best?

HileyQuiggley

Could yes, but in that other game also trash dropped mats for some BiS or close to it items. Also boss drops were totally random and lots of people wanting same items but if your guild gave you mats for an item it was 100% "drop".

raid patterns/ orbs were only normal tier loot so they weren't really Bis, but yes it was a good way to get the right itemization for multiple specs without having a boss drop 3 versions of the same item.

However that's not what the op wants, he wants crafted gear to be the best without even stepping into a raid which is stupid beyond measure.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think crafted gear should be the absolute best in the game as it would for sure hurt endgame content. However, I do think with the modding system that there are ways to allow crafters to gain very viable things to make. Having schematics and rare materials drop from raids is good as it encourages crafters to participate in endgame or people could sell these items to crafters. Then in some way have crafters make orange moddable gear and certain mods and what not that can be on par with endgame gear.. allowing players to have their own look and not the same look as everyone else that plays their class.

Just as same as for PvPrs, WZs would be far more unpopular if it awarded same gear easier from some other venue.

I'm not a PVPer but it seems from what I have seen that most PVPers enjoy the competition. That is why FPS are so popular. (Like CoD and BF)

Best PvP system world PvP wise, but as you can see, people aint very interested in world PvP.

Only reason they dont know what world pvp is, is because blizzard/rift/tor all taught them that pvp means shinys an farming shinys is all MMos are.... So they dont know any better. I garentee you if they were shown today what real RVR is, they would flip out over it.

Only thing proper pvp doesn't allow for, is farming. You have to actually kill people an be responsible for playing yourself. So AFK'ers kill traders an farmers would have a miserable time. But everyone els would like it. because it adds a massive amount to the game.

You not dealing with a tiny little arena. You have a landscape twice the size of tatt at least. filled with content, mobs places to see an do.

I'm not a PVPer but it seems from what I have seen that most PVPers enjoy the competition. That is why FPS are so popular. (Like CoD and BF)

Well im a PvPr and so far this game has no competition, normal WZs are just a time sink where everyone gets same gear eventually. It might change when rated WZs for only premades comes to live but i guess we see then how much average PvPrs wants competition.

Only reason they dont know what world pvp is, is because blizzard/rift/tor all taught them that pvp means shinys an farming shinys is all MMos are.... So they dont know any better..

Well Vanilla WoW restricted decent PvP gear for only few people on each server and yet normal Bgs were very popular even though people couldnt aquire any real "reward" from it. People played it for fun, unlike world PvP which yeld exactly same rewards for casual joe.

Well Vanilla WoW restricted decent PvP gear for only few people on each server and yet normal Bgs were very popular even though people couldnt aquire any real "reward" from it. People played it for fun, unlike world PvP which yeld exactly same rewards for casual joe.

Untrue, I played early wow, you got nothing... When BG's came out they were created expressly to hook people. Instantly the day they came out world pvp died because that is how people were trained to farm gear. MMO's stopped being about playing for community, an realm pride an became greed focused an infested with angst an unbelievable greed.

Untrue, I played early wow, you got nothing... When BG's came out they were created expressly to hook people. Instantly the day they came out world pvp died because that is how people were trained to farm gear. MMO's stopped being about playing for community, an realm pride an became greed focused an infested with angst an unbelievable greed.

It hooked people cause people wanted to rather compete in Bgs than do random world PvP. They got rewarded with nothing in BGs, and in world PvP unless you count out 5-20 people on each server, and even that gear that rank 13 an 14 got, it got blown away by raid gear in BGs. Your oppinion is what it is, but majority has spoken, they want to do some else PvP than world PvP, for different reasons, so do i, rated ones in the future, normal huttball fest doesnt interest me at slightest.

Edited by Forsbacka

The problem is that the people who create MMOs can't figure out how to reward players with anything but gear.

If they could get to people to raid and pvp for the fun of it, while rewarding players with something more interesting (server wide status, faction competition, meaningful pvp objectives, etc) the crafted gear could easily be the best in the game. That way people would still raid and do pvp, while making crafting an equally important aspect of the game.

Sadly, MMO makers just continue to clone WoW instead of creating something new and interesting.

I disagree with the notion of crafted gear being only entry level. It depends how you set the game up.

Unfortunately, SWTOR is using the formula of dropped gear/tier gear etc being the ultimate goal. But I will to this day, say that the early days (because thats what I remember) of SWG were one of the best implementations of a player economy.

Everything worthwhile using, was player created. The best weapons, the best armor, the houses, everything. Heck, being a crafting class itself was really cool. People have this idea in their head, that the only way to do things, is to beat a big baddie until he drops your phat lewts. When there exists this whole wonderful world out there, that can be completely focused around crafting.

I would not play that game. I hate crafting.

That being said, I love crafting in this game...Its so...not a dumb grind..

Because best things in MMORPGs comes from aspects that needs grouping.

That doesn't mean what the OP is saying is irrelevant or impossible while still retaining the social aspects of the game. I have argued the OPs dreams for over a decade and dozens of MMOs and nobody ever seems to get it right.

1. Crafters should be able to create the highest level gear in the game.

2. The rare components for those rare crafted pieces of gear should come from Bosses.

3. Bosses should also drop the best "non crafted" gear in the game, but these pieces should never be better than a rare crafted piece.

This promotes social interaction and group effort. You join a group and run raids, get some nice pieces of gear from bosses, and a few rare components from each boss you defeat to make something truly epic and rare.

That doesn't mean what the OP is saying is irrelevant or impossible while still retaining the social aspects of the game. I have argued the OPs dreams for over a decade and dozens of MMOs and nobody ever seems to get it right.

2. The rare components for those rare crafted pieces of gear should come from Bosses.

3. Bosses should also drop the best "non crafted" gear in the game, but these pieces should never be better than a rare crafted piece.

This promotes social interaction and group effort. You join a group and run raids, get some nice pieces of gear from bosses, and a few rare components from each boss you defeat to make something truly epic and rare.

This is why the whole items are everything in MMO's is a bad thing. The playerbase is young enough to be instantly hooked an the devs know this. Thats why they keep churning out the same junk.

^This + the best schematics should come from bosses only. Make them super rare so not many people will have it on the server. Can you still buy it on AH, sure, but any crafter not selling it for 1 billion credits + mats would be dumb. If someone wants to farm gold to get it, good for them, i dont care if they are doing a mind dumbing activity 24/7, if thats how they enjoy the game good for them.

That's never going to work under swtor's current system because like wow (oh noes I said it) there are no 'crafters' in swtor because everyone can craft equally well and no one is going to take a dedicated 'crafter' to a raid over a good raider because a good raider could craft the piece just as well.

Even assuming your system was plausible by vastly changing the present crafting system, Why do crafters get the best gear? The gear that drops off a nightmare boss took that same amount of effort as you getting your primordial saronite from the said boss there is no quantifiable reason for the crafted gear to be better.

You guys realize, while they cannot be sold, you can craft Rakata (i.e. Tier 3) gear of specific pieces right? Admitedly it would be "nice" if crafted gear was the best but with no breakage worries (ala DAoC), or gear loss on death (i.e. EQ) it kind of makes it pointless as once you get the best gear there is never a need to replace it (until the next expansion). Edited by Mltdwn

I don't see any reason why crafted gear should be the best... unless, as your first replier said, the mats are incredibly rare to get.

Rare drops/drops from Rare monsters have always been the best gear in every major MMO.

Crafting gear is meant to give you a foot step into Raiding, whats the point in end game Raid when you can just make better gear from crafting.

i will say one thing tho, there should be at least 1 item end game crafting that is bind on pick up and will be better than raid gear.

The raid could drop rare mats to create the best gear.... or something like wow legendaries where you have to raid to get the components for the legendary.

Use your head I know its tough sometimes.

This is why the whole items are everything in MMO's is a bad thing. The playerbase is young enough to be instantly hooked an the devs know this. Thats why they keep churning out the same junk.

Yes they use items as a hook to keep the player wanting more and better.

You can have that AND provide additional hooks by allowing the player to slowly build up an epic piece of gear that is crafted. There really isn't any difference other than one rewards a player well for regular effort, and the other rewards the player significantly for higher effort.

I don't see the problem and I can't for the life of me figure out why it hasn't been done. WOW to some extent had this right with Legendary items, but it has always been one piece for one class per expansion. MMOs need to expand on this system. Imagine legendary armor sets and weapons that take you months to build.... if players know it is possible they will grind it out. But the key is to give the power to the crafters to put it all together. Make them relevant and reward their efforts also. Promote the social aspects of the game by encouraging players to interact with crafters to have rare pieces made.

^^ +1

Not sure if you have read much of the boards or not but there are tons of people that want just that. People do want open pvp, people want pve just the same. But there sure as hell is enough that wants it. Look at everyone drooling over GW2. Its a PvP game

PvP'ers in general are the minority of the mmorpg genre, "open world" PvP'ers are an even smaller minority. There's a reason you see PvE servers outnumber PvP servers 10+ to 1 in every mmo that has both available. It's also the reason there's not even one PvP centric mmo with 1 million+ players.

Edited by Zorvan

That's never going to work under swtor's current system because like wow (oh noes I said it) there are no 'crafters' in swtor because everyone can craft equally well and no one is going to take a dedicated 'crafter' to a raid over a good raider because a good raider could craft the piece just as well.

Even assuming your system was plausible by vastly changing the present crafting system, Why do crafters get the best gear? The gear that drops off a nightmare boss took that same amount of effort as you getting your primordial saronite from the said boss there is no quantifiable reason for the crafted gear to be better.

Simple dont make mats tradeable and bind them.

Either way your raiding for gear.... there is no difference lol.

Most fun I ever had in an mmo was the first year or 2 of Daoc when crafted was the best. Once you got your gear the game was all about the fight and that's all I wanted to worry about. Obviously I'm not a big fan of pve but I'm less a fan of pvp gear grind.

PvP'ers in general are the minority of the mmorpg genre, "open world" PvP'ers are an even smaller minority. There's a reason you see PvE servers outnumber PvP servers 10+ to 1 in every mmo that has both available. It's also the reason there's not even one PvP centric mmo with 1 million+ players.

Thats not true in a press release it was noted that 52% of the people playing were pvping.... soo its more like 50/50 not 10%pvpers and 90%pve'ers lol.