Plasma UI burn in.

Mambome

I just noiced now the quest log burnt into my screen. You can see it on white barely... They need to fix these problems ASAP as I've never had this problem with other games.

Wow. Really? That's totally your problem and your display's issue. I don't think that BioWare can program in a hardware issue with your monitor. The only way they could fix "these problems" is to stop you from buying a plasma monitor.

man poeple still use plasmas? j/k ^^

but more on note, this can hapen with any game/menu that static on screen. if left up there long enough it can burn in to the screen and someone time way to fix is to have it serviced or replaced.

this one reason i like LCD less of a burn in issue. never liked plasmas for this very reasons, same for rear projection tv also.

i play on a 42 inch LED.. am i at risk for burn in as well?

that is why plasma displays are not good for games at all. most games have static ui frames that will burn into the screen

This is just inaccurate. Plasma displays offer the best refresh rates for fast-paced gaming, as well as arguably the truest colors available (especially since black is actually black on a plasma). I've been using a plasma display for console gaming for 3 years and have minimal issues with burn-in, and it's correctable.

Keep in mind, you can't just play for 18 hours straight on a plasma and expect no repercussions to the display. Shutting the display off every couple of hours for a few minutes is good to avoid image burn, not to mention to get off your *** and move around for a little bit. Also, all modern plasma displays have built-in anti-burn measures (mine has 2 different countermeasures) that work perfectly.

This is just inaccurate. Plasma displays offer the best refresh rates for fast-paced gaming, as well as arguably the truest colors available (especially since black is actually black on a plasma). I've been using a plasma display for console gaming for 3 years and have minimal issues with burn-in, and it's correctable.

Keep in mind, you can't just play for 18 hours straight on a plasma and expect no repercussions to the display. Shutting the display off every couple of hours for a few minutes is good to avoid image burn, not to mention to get off your *** and move around for a little bit. Also, all modern plasma displays have built-in anti-burn measures (mine has 2 different countermeasures) that work perfectly.

Should upgrade to a Samsung OLED when they launch next year though. Much better colors, and true black.

Should upgrade to a Samsung OLED when they launch next year though. Much better colors, and true black.

I already play on a LCD/LED 42" and it has true black level. It looks amazing to the older LED fluorescent. It compares with a plasma in black levels and color.

Edited by Romiz

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is your monitor.....

It has pixel shift. As for those suggesting LED, it's much more expensive for a 60" LED vs 60" plasma. The game itself needs a built-in pixel shift option or a warning when you install the game.

What bug. Just play the game on a LCD. It is not their fault you are using the wrong type TV for gaming.

I have a friend years ago that made that error playing wow. He plasma was totally burned in after 3 months.

I never said it was a bug.. and games look better on a plasma than LCD.

Edited by fishfishstinks

plasma does not have the best refresh rate, in fact, it now has the worst. Your plasma is 60Hz no matter what how many times they put 600 on the box. for PC gaming your ONLY options for true fast refresh rates are CRT and 120hz LCD "monitors" ((( also know as 3d computer monitors. also note, )))... also note, 3d TV's are no good, you will only get 60hz on these as well

EDIT: sorry, some 120hz DLP projectors also support true high refresh rates

EDIT 2: a little info on LCD monitors that support odd refresh rates like 72,85,90. These monitors likely drop frames and actually work at 60hz as well. You can detect this behavior by observing judder and tears while having your vsync on.

----

as for the OP, i would suggest simply putting some regular TV on while your away, that alone should give the pixels enough exercise back and forth.

Edited by ZEROUMUS

• 3 weeks later...
that is why plasma displays are not good for games at all. most games have static ui frames that will burn into the screen

That's only true for very old plasmas. I use a 47" 1080p Panasonic that I bought from newegg like two years ago and my pixels don't ever burn. Plasmas have been free of this issue for years now.

That aside, plasma is way easier on the eyes and the color is much better since they can actually render black.

Games on my plasma are *********** gorgeous and it puts my roommate's LED to absolute shame.

Edited by Cavadus

Wonder if they could add a UI "Shimmer" effect that would fix this for people with vulnerable displays?

That way you don't have to force people to fix their own problems but just enable the "Burn-In Protection" checkbox, and the blue could automatically shift slowly to green, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, etc. over a slow 1 or 2 hour time frame or something.

Wonder how long that would take versus the percentage of users affected...

I get burn in on my plasma TV every so often when I play Mass Effect. It isn't permenant. It may take a day or two but it does fade away without having to do anything to fix it.

Based on everything I've read about plasmas it was only ever a permenant issue on the original models. The more current models can still get burn-in but it's not permenant.