The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Red Sabers.....

Spymaster

Heres what they should have done from day 1:

Red crystals in republic ONLY if you are dark side 5.

Blue crystals for empire ONLY if you are light side 5.

This would suit you more i feel. It would also annoy lots of people who dont really care about the lore and if they did probably have the more pressing concern of how their little dude can still even be a jedi when their alignment is very much of the dark side of the force.

That's actually pretty good.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why this whole red saber bit is not in the "lore" is because it isn't worth mentioning. Generally speaking, saber colors do speak for which side of the force the user aligns themselves with. But that isn't 100% true.

More over, saber colors symbolize the wielder themselves rather than their force alignment.

Bioware has even stated that the reason why they chose this particular time setting in the Star Wars universe is because it was wholly left unexplored.

The game is writing its own history and in doing so it is free from the rules of your "lore."

This, the only reason the sith use lightsabers as well as their traditional warblades (vibroswords) is because they were concurred and hybridized by dark jedi about 2000 years before the great hyperspace war... they mainly use red synthetic crystals imbued by the darkside...

At this time most crystals would be harvested from dantoine and would account as to why most basic sabers are blue or green.. but its stated that jedi would use different crystal combinations to change the blades to suit their style, natural red crystals, kryte dragoon pearls, etc. which often altered the color, shape, and intensity of the blade.

Good. Then I want to be a gnome.

Then do it! Nobody is stopping you.

The only thing you have to worry about is when to quit being a gnome. You would have to do it at a point before the next major story in the Star Wars lore starts chronologically.

The absence of knowledge does not mean the absence of history. Anything can happen behind the scenes. All that matters is that if history before this game matches up with history after this game. Anything can happen in between so long that it doesn't overlap into the timelines of the rest of the lore.

At this time most crystals would be harvested from dantoine and would account as to why most basic sabers are blue or green.. but its stated that jedi would use different crystal combinations to change the blades to suit their style, natural red crystals, kryte dragoon pearls, etc. which often altered the color, shape, and intensity of the blade.

And where does it state that Jedi changing from blue or green to red is common practice to the point that most Jedi use red??? Tell me when you find that.....

WRONG. I have a huge basis for my argument in that NO OTHER TIME PERIOD IN STAR WARS DO THIS MANY JEDI USE RED.

People keep saying "there is no restriction" as if that is some new information which refutes the fact above. It doens't.

I erased your analogy, since it is irrelevant to this situation.

Player characters are always exceptions to "commonality". They are extraordinary individuals precisely because they are extraordinary.

The only reason red was even used in the movies was because Lucas was using the Old Western/Samurai trope... good guys wear white hats, bad guys wear black hats. The only reason green was used was because blue didn't show up well against the sky on Tatooine. Lucasfilm employees and Lucas have said multiple times that there is no connection between the color and the person. If Luke wanted to, he could have used a Pink lightsaber with yellow polka dots.

If you want to talk population: There will always be significantly less character models with the "wrong" color than the "right" one. NPCs will always have the "right" colors, and the majority of players do also.

So I repeat... no basis for your complaint.

Good questions... All I know is it's not cool or uniuqe to see a republic jedi with a red saber in this game... it's just common cliche', annoying and frankly a little too emo for my taste.

But you play as Imperial?

Darth Darky Von Deathbringer of the Black Blackness of Injustice and Suffering called, he would like all of his storylines back.

Seriously though, is this even mentioned in the extended universe? As in, a source exists that goes on in length to explain the exact fashion choices of certain factions in the Star Wars universe? Wow...

I erased your analogy, since it is irrelevant to this situation.

Player characters are always exceptions to "commonality". They are extraordinary individuals precisely because they are extraordinary.

Sure, but again the problem isn't one or two guys with red, it's hundreds. That doesn't fit the lore. Why can't people just be honest and admit it?

The only reason red was even used in the movies was because Lucas was using the Old Western/Samurai trope... good guys wear white hats, bad guys wear black hats. The only reason green was used was because blue didn't show up well against the sky on Tatooine. Lucasfilm employees and Lucas have said multiple times that there is no connection between the color and the person. If Luke wanted to, he could have used a Pink lightsaber with yellow polka dots.

Doesn't matter why. That's how it is, and that's Star Wars.

"Luke" isn't a real person by the way.

NPCs will always have the "right" colors, and the majority of players do also.

If the majority of players had the right colors I wouldn't have a complaint. They don't have the right colors however, thus the baisis for my problem. The lore is broken by this many red saber using Jedi, and it's sad you're trying to act as if it's not.

But you play as Imperial?

I play both sides.

Darth Darky Von Deathbringer of the Black Blackness of Injustice and Suffering called, he would like all of his storylines back.

Seriously though, is this even mentioned in the extended universe? As in, a source exists that goes on in length to explain the exact fashion choices of certain factions in the Star Wars universe? Wow

Translation??

And where does it state that Jedi changing from blue or green to red is common practice to the point that most Jedi use red??? Tell me when you find that.....

For millennia, the Jedi Order lit lightsabers in every color and hue imaginable. However, following the Battle of Ruusan, the hues of most available crystals had been limited to either blue or green. Lightsaber color crystals could also be compressed, resulting in a pulsating blade, or they could be unstable, resulting in a core which swirled and sparkled. -wookiepedia

note that the Battle of Ruusan is about 700 years after TOR

and there have been hundreds of thousands of jedi and dark jedi that have used red crystals.. again from wookiepedia, which is just a compilation of cannon sources.

oooh oooh, mayyyyybe...

all the red saber wielding jedi turned to the dark side and became run of your mill imps. And all the blue wielding imp scum, were abducted by the jedi council and turned into well rounded fully functioning jedi, and thats why youve never heard of them so much in the lore. Maybe once a dude went red saber, the empire beamed him out of coruscant and whisked him or her off to a meeting with the emperor and then they became an imperial foot solider. History isnt static after all, only the telling might have brushed over the finer details :)

Also, really we dont hear about geoffrey the jedi. Its only the famous ones that we hear about a long time in the future in a galaxy far far away. So maybe there was millions, like little jedi cockroaches, but they did nothing more than add to the body count.

Also, whats with all these jedi running around with the same title as me! those lying pigs told me i was the FOURTH in all of galactic recorded history!

While I respect your opinion and view, the way I see it is this:

Thousands(hundreds?) of red lightsaber wielding Jedi may not fit in the past lore(lore before this game; timeline wise) or the future lore(lore before after this game; again timeline wise), but it certainly fits this lore; why? Because the game is writing it's own lore as it progresses. I'm not well versed in the Old Republic era, but I don't know of much lore before or after this game that is within a relatively close time period, and as such in my opinion, red lightsaber wielding Jedi fit fine.

Could be because I'm a Dark Side Jedi Guardian maybe, but I would trade that in for purple any day!(That's suppose to be rare in the Clone Wars era is it not? Well it could be rare because the Old Republic era made it that way. Kidding, partially.)

And that means "most Jedi used red" to you?

Even though plenty of other sources before this time show most Jedi using anything but red?

that's biowares fault for only having a handful of colors, 3 of which are ls/ds locked. I mean.. luke skywalkers wife had a pink saber, han solo's kids had violet, and there's at least 9 different shades of red crystals in the starwars universe that arn't the fake red sith ones. According to some sources the red crystals are more common than blue.

sauce:

The New Jedi Order Sourcebook

Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary

Star Wars: Roleplaying Game Revised Core Rulebook

The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology

all lucas approved cannon sources

I didn't even know it was common till I made a dark Jedi and got myself two red lightsabers. I thought I was being original, because on the empire side you never see anyone walking around with a blue saber, so I figured on the republic side you would never see anyone with a red saber. But I was wrong. Everyone and their mother has one. -_-

Translation??

I just can't fathom that there exists:

1. People who treat the EU crap as canon.

2. EU crap that actualy talks about this in great detail, about why some people in the Star Wars universe preferred a certain form of fashion, while others preferred another form of fashion and how these things are written in stone and cannot change.

Because unless both those points apply, you're simple making broad assumptions based on what you can see in the movies. And if that is the case, you must also believe that all male moisture farmers on Tatooine are called Owen, all hairstyles except for mullets are banned by Imperial law and Lando realy IS the only black man in the universe.

Either way, stop taking EU "lore" so seriously. Huffing and puffing and sounding upset while demanding that other players change their playstyle to provide you with a more EU-canony gaming experience will make you grow an instant neck-beard, and those things can strangle you if you're not careful...

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

While I respect your opinion and view, the way I see it is this:

Thousands(hundreds?) of red lightsaber wielding Jedi may not fit in the past lore(lore before this game; timeline wise) or the future lore(lore before after this game; again timeline wise), but it certainly fits this lore; why? Because the game is writing it's own lore as it progresses.

But by that logic ANYTHING fits the lore. We could all be half Yoda / half Ewok Jedi. Yeah, there is no other time in which hundreds of Yoda-Ewok jedi with pink sabers battled Sith Gnomes on horse back using yellow and blue striped laser nunchucks... but that doesn't mean it fits the lore.

As a Sith Warrior, I walked around with a blue bladed lightsaber (yeah, I'm a light side Sith, so what?). That was until I got a saber from the PvP vendor last night (which the blade is purple).

However, I really, really, really would like to have cyan color bladed lightsabers, which the Republic PvP sabers have. And I'm sure they would like to have purple, which Empire PvP sabers have.

Unless there's something I'm missing?