Is this game really in trouble?

Loksoral

I don't quite get the OP... Have you never played any MMO? Did you know that EQ1 is still running? Chamions? CoH? Rift? Warhammer?

So what'd you mean it's "in trouble"? Is it gonna break WoW? No, probably not. But if trouble = not gonna break WoW, then yes, it's in trouble.

Generally posts like the OP fall under the category of 'concern troll', but this seem to be genuine, maybe OP is 12 years old. The problem with internet anonimity is that is... well anonimous. Maybe a kid who sees a lot of negativity on the forums might start to think the game is going down

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I look at Champions Online which never had these kind of subscriber numbers and was almost broken at launch. It took them over to year to fix some stuff and add new features and the game is still going strong. Swtor will be alright, you can count on me to still be logging in.

CO had a pretty rough start - it took them a year just to figure out how to balance the classes - too bad they took it to such an extreme. It went free to play though, which is usually the point at which we call it a failure. I'm not sure that definition holds true anymore with other games like LOTRO doing so well under the new model - but I'd still hesitate to use that as the defining point of success. If TOR goes free to play, will it be called a success?

That seems odd to me. I've never talked to anybody that didn't enjoy the game; it's only around game forums and the like I've heard this sort of thing.

I agree lol, even the people who complain in Vent are resubbing.

It's already pretty successful!

2 million copies sold to-date. For a PC-only release, that's nothing short of astonishing.

And say, half of them decide they want to continue to play, one million players worldwide.

Take an average of 70 bucks a copy (some digital, some CE, some physical) and that comes out to 140 million bucks. And with a million subscribers signed up, that's 15 million a month coming in... but that first month will actually be much more as all the three-month and six-month subscriptions kick in after the free 30 days is up. I'm guessing 60 million. So assuming that the game has cost 200 million then they've already recouped all their investment and development costs already within the first month.

Even WoW didn't have that good a start, I think they had 250K subscribers or so in NA... about the same number in Europe, 280K or so. It was actually quite difficult to find after the initial rush for about six months since Blizzard had massively underestimated the demand and was haphazardly rolling out new servers to meet it before releasing new copies.

This game is going to be just fine. And I'm looking forward to it, WoW didn't truly start to shine until that first year after release.

Edited by Jalidi

TOR is still the number 2 MMO on Xfire and number 5 overall, if you care about XFire numbers. The next MMO isn't even close. Since I doubt we'll ever see official numbers from EA, all we can do is guess and/or use our own anecdotal experience of how many or few people we see in game. I haven't really noticed a drop in pop on my server, but IMO the pops are and always have been too low.

CO had a pretty rough start - it took them a year just to figure out how to balance the classes - too bad they took it to such an extreme. It went free to play though, which is usually the point at which we call it a failure. I'm not sure that definition holds true anymore with other games like LOTRO doing so well under the new model - but I'd still hesitate to use that as the defining point of success. If TOR goes free to play, will it be called a success?

LotRO was doing fine (population wise) before it went F2P, it's just that so many LotRO subscribers are lifers and weren't generating any revenue. CO and STO both sucked horribly at launch AND had a bunch of lifers, so that was a double whammy and a big reason why both went F2P so fast.

This game will be around until Lucas decides to not renew the license. People call EA the Evil Empire, but DAoC probably has less than 20k subs now, and they haven't pulled the plug yet. Not sure how many UO and WAR have any more, but they're still around too.

Edited by ChicksDigHarleys

It depends what you mean by 'trouble'. The game isn't gonna close it's doors anytime soon but it will also never garner the numbers even close to what WoW has attracted. It will sputter along, the population will slowly dwindle, content updates will get smaller and more infrequent, that sort of thing...

In other words, the game's not on it's deathbed, but more like in the nursing home.

Edited by Taurusaud

It's been a month, coming out of beta anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knew it would be buggy. In a few months to a year is when this game is going to come into its's own just like all other mmo's ever made(as long as devs continue to fix bugs) Edited by Killomend

It depends what you mean by 'trouble'. The game isn't gonna close it's doors anytime soon but it will also never garner the numbers even close to what WoW has attracted. It will sputter along, the population will slowly dwindle, content updates will get smaller and more infrequent, that sort of thing...

In other words, the game's not on it's deathbed, but more like in the nursing home.

I like how this guy went OMG THIS GAME IS GONNA DIE SOON to OMG SLOW DEATH

TOR is doing fine. A friend of mine owns a gameshop and the TOR prepaid cards fly off the shelves.

A few million subscribers and you perhaps see 50 of the usual suspects creating and necro'ing whine threads. I'd say they were the vocal minority wouldn't you? The game is fine just needs a few patches.

Obviously the game will require more than just that if it is to have a bright future.:p

ive noticed the large amount of negative comments about the game as well. Which i dont understand because ToR is hands down thee best MMO i have ever played. I have noticed though all of the negative comments and complaints are coming from republic players. Now i have a Imp and Rep toons and none of their whining seems founded. One that rlly stuck out was how the consular wasn't flashy enough, im pretty sure though that as a consular u can tear freaking rocks out of the ground and throw them...that is just sick. its better than every move being lightning. For the ppl who say its sad that the game is so glitchy. the game has just come out, it is the biggest project Bioware has done of course there are gunna be glitches, its not going to be a stain on Bioware or anything like that, these are the same ppl who kept asking over and over again whens the release date whens the release date, give us the game now and then whine and complain when its not perfect. The game will get better with time as all MMOs do. Just because it dosent run as smooth as WoW or its PvP is a little screwy, doesn't mean its not a way better game. ToR is in a class of its own, enough said.

This game will be around until Lucas decides to not renew the license. People call EA the Evil Empire, but DAoC probably has less than 20k subs now, and they haven't pulled the plug yet. Not sure how many UO and WAR have any more, but they're still around too.

That goes to what is considered successful. They may still be live, but how often are they receiving new content and how much community development still exists (ex torhead)? I think those games are considered dead because the vast majority of players would never consider playing an MMO with such a small population.

There seem to be plenty of people saying their servers have enough population in TOR - hopefully we can get mergers for the rest of us.

The community in-game of the MMO that shall not be named is what caused me to leave after 6 years of playing it. I'm not seeing the naked arrogance that seemed to plague both the game and forums over there and that is refreshing. I really wish people would have a bit of patience and let things progress, but alas we live in a world where young adults have been taught that they are a special snowflake and they should get everyting now.

You know that WoW Upside down is MOM!!!!!

Edited by priest

What a freakin' troll zoo we got here. Game isn't hurting folks, plain and simple. Some things still aren't working as intended but by no means is anything worth unsubbing for. This game isn't played on the forums you morons.

You people are insane that thinking its hemmoraging players. Dude, look at when it came out. A week before Christmas, there were a ton of people on because most didn't have school or work for a couple of weeks. Plus, now we are past the time where a bunch of people just play the 'free' month and quit anyways. Just because servers aren't heavy doesn't mean people stopped playing, its that they have lives and already experiencing some of SWTOR they don't need to devote all their time to it. Look at every angle first people.

Ok the story is great until its time to do it all again with a reroll. Sure your new class story is going to be interesting but all the side quests are shared so the rest of it is just the same only this time you see the quest presented to you slightly differently because now you are a "Jedi" instead of a "Trooper" or whatever...

All the side quest objectives are the same, some may vary slightly as in what type of data you need to collect or consoles you need to shut down/destory/whatever.

So what I am saying is unless you jump to the other side on your first alt, a huge portion of the story you have already been through and you will find yourself not so captivated as you were the first time.

So really what a game like this needs is a constant flow of new story content for all classes, and it has to be for side quests, area quests, PvP objectives, everything the game has to offer and more must be included or the game will get boring, because you have been there and done that.

Ok this is also true with games like WoW, however WoW at launch had a lot of things that players want and need to keep them interested, and the main thing being mods. Allowing players to mod the game is a step in the right direction if they want to keep customers long term because it gives modders something else to do and it gives mod users many new choices in the way they play the game.

No combat log also means it is very difficult if not impossible for a player to determine exactly why they were killed, be it in PvE or PvP and long term no combat log will also eventually cause players to loose interest because MMO players are used to knowing the facts via a combat log.

Lag has been absolutely horrible for me ever since I made my first payment, I have called my cable provider and they are sending someone out to check my end but I have a feeling it has something to do with the game itself or the problem being server side.

My ping will go from 45ms to 5000ms in a few seconds and then back down to below 50 and I can tell you it is very annoying to have a boss beaten down to just about dead and he suddenly evades and warps back to his starting point and is fully healed.

Anyway if I can not get the lag issue ironed out there will not be any use in me making my 2nd payment next month and I suspect there are others like me too.

Don't get me wrong I like the game, the stealthing healer scoundrel or the operative are a ton of fun to play, and back in beta when lag was non existant and the planet you were on actually had a decent player population instead of 6 or less like it is now. I say there could be trouble..hate to say that about a Bioware game because I have just about every game they have ever made, they are with out a doubt my favorite game developer but SWTOR is NOT up to the standards I am used to seeing from Bioware, simple as that.:(

Edited by Rahl_Windsong

I think that swtor will be around for a good while for the simple reason that it is fun. No more need be said although I would note that I believe that there is actually a great unsatisfied demand for a top notch / fun mmo that is not being captured by the current crop of games.

It does have a lot of problems that need to be fixed for it to be "all that it can be" and really thrive in the future. Some of the issues are being recognized and addressed by BW and so we will see what can be done.

The "whiners" on the forum have actually been a great help and of great value to BW. I give as an expample the ability delay threads. The customers that should scare BW are not the ones who come to the forum, but those who just cash in their chips and go quielty away.

but all the side quests are shared (

Yeah but the different classes have different flavour options for dialogue in the side quests - obviously not huge difference, but enough for so you're still curious about what will come up, even if you know the side quest.

Even the male SQ dialogue options for a class are sometimes slightly different from the female ones.

I was surprised that there was this amount of detail, but there is. I thought "same side quests yawn", but actually when you go through them with different classes it's not as bad as you might think. The downside is of course that you know the quest, but the upside is that your character may still say things that have their own class flavour.

Incidentally, another thing that surprised me was this. The other day I, as a male Consular, did Esseles with another male Consular, and even though our voices are exactly the same actor, we still seemed like different characters because we looked different in the dialogues (my consular looks like an older Ewan McGregor with a beard and all, his was one of the green aliens with tattoos, sporting a sort of emo hairdo), so what we were saying came across differently, especially as we were making consistently different choices. Interesting psychological effect.