Is this game really in trouble?

Loksoral

Everyone I speak to in game likes it and I am enjoying it greatly.

Sure it has some bugs, but people on forums like to make bugs sound worse than they actually are. I've never played a bug free MMO, I would like to know of one.

I have faith in Bioware to fix the current issues anyway and I'll be sticking around to find out if they do, like 99% of my guildies.

Another thing is, it's pretty stupid to think everyone would like the game (we all have different tastes in the end), haters are just the loudest on the forums.

Edited by Tekkoclarky

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 million subscribers and a game that cost $200 million to make. A game in trouble wouldn't have made twice the amount of cash it took to create.

ok so i'm a lil older and my math may not be so good but...

how do you equate 2mil subs being 400mil?

i understand imaginary numbers but this is straight up adding 0's to something.

in any case, i would imagine their ROI is going to be awhile into this year... you have to clear your overhead before you can even BEGIN to pay back that 200mil...

Iniitial sales plus subs and $100 isnt all that much. You start off with $50 x 2 million and then the subs come in. Also nobody says they have to make a profit from day one, afaik, EA has pretty much stated they're in it for the long haul.

No... you don't start off with $50 x 2 million.

The developer does not make $50 on a $50 game. They make about $30.

If SWTOR has sold 2 million units, they've made somewhere in the area of $65 to $70 million (factoring in extra money for DDE and CE.)

Even if the game did keep 2 million subs, which requires a lot of faith to believe, they will have to all subscribe for a full 5 months before TOR breaks even. That's 1 month after purchase + 5 subscription cycles. Do people really believe that 6 months after release this game is going to have 2 million subscribers?

I don't think the game has 2 million subscribers right now. I think the game might have sold 2 million units, but we also know many players have already quit.

Edited by Mannic

This game is in trouble, no one done there research, EA took a loss on Warhammer thats why its free to play now,

on first release your gonna have huge playerbase but after a month of play and people see how much the game lags and delay from character models , and thousands of bugs , its gonna be going down hill in next couple months,

this is not a next gen game , its completey boring at end game , theres nothing new here, just old stuff people dont want to deal with anymore,

maybe these companys start releaseing finished games with new ideas,

but this game has no new ideas beside huttball,

I just checked with my 3 most hardcore WoW playing friends. ALL of them are still having an absolute blast, including the one who was a hardcore ranked WoW PVPer. The other was a Druid raider and the last one of the single best healers that I have ever played any game with. They all are playing and having a blast.

So if they are reasonably satisfied with the game, I have no worries.

/2 Level 31 Toons here. Planning on doing each class at least once.

//Really wishes work wasnt cutting into my playtime so much.

Thanks for the positive replies, makes me feel better knowing there are nice members of the forums. Amazingly, in-game the community is the complete opposite... most of the time its extremely helpful, and pleasant... -most- of the time.

Thanks for the positive replies, makes me feel better knowing there are nice members of the forums. Amazingly, in-game the community is the complete opposite... most of the time its extremely helpful, and pleasant... -most- of the time.

If you want to get a real feel for the community, then for the sake of your sanity, stay out of gen discussion. Never will you experience a more wretched hive of scum and villany... to use a tried and true SW reference.

Edited by CanWolfShadow

Making mountains out of mole hills.........the summary of this forum.

Don't worry, the game is well received in general and has earned high reviews. The dismal forum environment is due to the WoW players who migrated over with their never-satisfied expectations.

Go check out the WoW forums now. You'd be blown away by their optimism......yet still it's the #1 MMO.

Don't let the forums get to you.

Exactly, WoW forums have been doom and gloom from the start and the game just kept growing and growing. It's the same small handful of trolls saber rattling.

This game is doing fine and should prosper as long as they keep the content coming.

People have more motivation to post and complain when they are driven by negativity than when they are happy and enjoying the game. Think about it. Why would someone who is enjoying the game stop to post about how much they are enjoying the game when they could simply keep playing?

Alternatively, someone who is not enjoying themselves wouldn't keep playing, so they come on the forums to vent their frustration and try not to feel left out in their minority opinion. Misery loves company...

This game is in trouble, no one done there research, EA took a loss on Warhammer thats why its free to play now,

on first release your gonna have huge playerbase but after a month of play and people see how much the game lags and delay from character models , and thousands of bugs , its gonna be going down hill in next couple months,

this is not a next gen game , its completey boring at end game , theres nothing new here, just old stuff people dont want to deal with anymore,

So EA's loss on Warhammers means this game is in trouble. Just because the Titanic sank doesnt mean that the next Carnival cruise line ship that goes out is going to sink too..

Lets see, end game: I'm sure they are rolling out new content when the majority of the playerbase starts to hit 50, not the uber fast I need to be 50 now crowd. If they released tons of end game content I'm sure everyone complaining about the lack of content would suddenly start complaining about the content itself.

As for the posted link saying this game is doomed, its an editorial, one mans opinion not concrete numbers stating that the game is going under. If you want to convince me that this game is bound for failure you better bring some numbers and irrefutable facts to the table. Otherwise your just emulating chicken little and prophesizing the end of days.

I'm loving the game both solo and with my friends. I have played a couple of different classes so far trying to find the one that fits my playstyle and so far I'm still enjoying the story. I for one plan to stick around.

everyone please notice this dude's command of the language.

wow.

2 million subscribers and a game that cost $200 million to make. A game in trouble wouldn't have made twice the amount of cash it took to create.

How do you get that as making twice what it cost to make? I got $119,980,000, and that would assume incorrectly that bioware got all of the money from the sales.

I'm not saying the game is doing poorly. Just that you math confuses me. Please take a moment to explain it.

Thanks.

So far this is the best community i've been part of, in-game of course. These forums are mostly to complain. :p

This is too soon to tell honestly. If you ask me I am giving this game may be 2 more months. With so many bugs, lack of features and easy end game content (we are doing Nightmare modes just fyi), I wonder how much time I will stick around. But that's just me.

So far this is the best community i've been part of, in-game of course. These forums are mostly to complain. :p

The community in-game of the MMO that shall not be named is what caused me to leave after 6 years of playing it. I'm not seeing the naked arrogance that seemed to plague both the game and forums over there and that is refreshing. I really wish people would have a bit of patience and let things progress, but alas we live in a world where young adults have been taught that they are a special snowflake and they should get everyting now.

Edited by Tantazir

RAGE RAGE RAGE, Swtor is going to fail!!! The world is going to end in 2012! Lets make more movies about the Apocalypse. I want to be a hipster and hate what everyone likes. RAGE RAGE RAGE. People will talk to me if i insult what they like, and i am lonely! MOAR RAGE. the Mayans kept good time, they must be able to predict the future! Obama is not american! Drink bleach live forever! Must buy COD 43 Future warfare so i can kill noobs and feel 733T! I am a computer programmer and this game has tons of Memory leaks! It is causing your GFX card to explode. Of course i am correct, how dare a SWTOR fanboi question me! RAGE RAGE RAGE. GAME-BREAKING!

This is an excerpt from the mind of a swtor forum troll.

Please continue to enjoy the game and realize that forums are not a good place to find happy thoughts regarding an MMO.

Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one, and they (usually) all stink.

That article is no exception. I'm having a blast with the game, have a 50, and I've been playing quite often. Not bored at all. I only get slightly discouraged with faction imbalances, but that happens with every game, so it's no big deal.

Whether this game is in trouble isn't the issue. I'm enjoying it.

However, the problem is that this game has so much potential

Yet for now it has not lived up to its potential. Not even close.

What's worse is that it's not up to its potential because many decisions made by the devs are bad, or are weird, or make little sense.

My post on this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=217498

Hi to the OP,

All Games forums are full of wanna be game creators, there's nothing can be done about that unfortunatly. I'm enjoying the game and will be here for a long time to come. You'll find the forum does get depressing if you read to many posts on here day in, day out and begin to beleive the game is falling apart. Which it isn't I might add! You will get alot of people moan about the amount of money they've spent and what rights they have to complain, but that's human nature again... Just look at the forums as a comic book, you'll soon start laughing lol.

But you have to see through the crap and see the good posts, when you can find them. Stay happy and enjoy your gameplay like most of us do;)

Not if a person uses a Colostomy Bag lol:D

Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one, and they (usually) all stink.

That article is no exception. I'm having a blast with the game, have a 50, and I've been playing quite often. Not bored at all. I only get slightly discouraged with faction imbalances, but that happens with every game, so it's no big deal.

When someone comes to a forum is usually because they are experiencing issues with the game(server imbalance, bugs, op classes). So every time you get on the forums you will see people complaining endlessly, so no need to worry... this game is doing just fine.

Source: Been playing wow for 5 years and noticed the patterns and trends in the wow forums.

I am paying for another month... Only because I forgot to cancel my sub. Too many frusturating bugs and boring endgame. As a matter of fact, most of my friends are doing the same. But, to each his own! The game will definitely keep going, The most important thing is, if you enjoy it, keep playing.

Not by any stretch. 2 million people bought the game and it should have a 75% retention at least, plus it should grow by 1-2% weekly according to some analysts.

There was one analysts that cast some doubt about Swtor's success late last week but it was quickly shot down by a few others.

Its silly how the stock market works sometimes, 1 day 1 analysts shows a concern over swtor and ea's stock drops 3% the next day 2 analysts come out and say that those concerns are overblown and the stock rebounds.

Its a guessing game, but I would say Swtor is setting itself up to be the second largest mmo in the west and i dont see it slowing down anytime soon. Especially after quickly addressing many peoples concerns about the ability delay with a patch coming out in a week or so.