This is why we compare to 7 year old wow.

Barracudastr

Because bioware themselves do and tried to hit their mark.

"The other challenge was to live up to and push beyond the expectations that MMO games like World of WarCraft have created. Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter. Whenever you're building a game from scratch, which is the case with Star Wars: The Old Republic, we're not building off of some existing Bioware engine. We had to build a large engine, which is always a challenge. "

From James himself.

Now to focus on something very interesting here:

Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter.

So all you fanboys here saying we shouldn't be comparing, we shouldn't expect industry standard features that 90% of mmo's have, have offically been snuffed by bioware themselves as they know that they are industry standard features and that they need them.

Many of those features come from big mmo's like wow whether you want to admit it or not.

I wont list the missing features this mmo failed to add in.

Just thought it funny this came out of his mouth in a interview.

And now you know why people QQ on the forums all day because we dont understand the hindsight in not having the majority of those features that have been in mmo's for over 10 years lol.

Edited by Barracudastr

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter..

Of course. I would say it's common sense but that doesn't seem common any more. It's all about luring people's entertainment dollars. They want us to spend it on SW:TOR and blizzard wants us to spend it on current WoW. There are no "vanilla WoW" options that SW:TOR is competing against.

Of course. I would say it's common sense but that doesn't seem common any more. It's all about luring people's entertainment dollars. They want us to spend it on SW:TOR and blizzard wants us to spend it on current WoW. There are no "vanilla WoW" options that SW:TOR is competing against.

Indeed common sense is a thing of the past now days.

I am a coder, give me 7 years to develop something or 3 and I can tell you there is a huge differance. Eh you can rant and rave the WoW love all you like, but in the end, it's like compairing WoW to EQ, you can't compaire them beyond the facet they are MMO's. EQ has a ton more content then WoW ever will, but then EQ is not easy to play. So it comes down too... If you don't like it, move on... don't need to hear why you are moving, just do it.

"The other challenge was to live up to and push beyond the expectations that MMO games like World of WarCraft have created. Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter. Whenever you're building a game from scratch, which is the case with Star Wars: The Old Republic, we're not building off of some existing Bioware engine. We had to build a large engine, which is always a challenge. "

From James himself.

Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter.

So all you fanboys here saying we shouldn't be comparing, we shouldn't expect industry standard features that 90% of mmo's have, have offically been snuffed by bioware themselves as they know that they are industry standard features and that they need them.

Many of those features come from big mmo's like wow whether you want to admit it or not.

And now you know why people QQ on the forums all day because we dont understand the hindsight in not having the majority of those features that have been in mmo's for over 10 years lol.

One thing you have to realize is the game they want to emulate didn't have nearly the features this game has/had at launch. Granted somethings should have been implemented already such as the UI and draggable windows. Other then that though...I don't get what you think you accomplish by bandwagoning with everyone else and calling out the 'fanboys' are you not a fan of star wars as well...?

Its the garbage like that which makes anyone with any common-sense disregard any argument you have. I bet in your mind and many others who think like you, they should fix/change everything and push it all out in one update to the game.

While your argument in part has merit.. certainly has merit, the means to justify the ends many people are adopting here makes me want to stunlock you and tie you to a flashpoint shuttle-as its taking off.

"or shortly thereafter"

"or shortly thereafter"

"or shortly thereafter"

"or shortly thereafter"

That has no meaning at all though.

It could have meant a week after a month after 6 months after, a year after or a year+.

Shortly thereafter holds no water here sorry.

If you don't like the game and are unsatisfied with it, then WHY DO YOU PLAY?!?!?

Free country last I heard. Just leave, we won't notice.

BECAUSE I'M EFFING PASSIONATE ABOUT IT AND I WANT TO SEE IT SUCCEED.

Just leave, we won't notice.

Trust me - you would.

From James himself.

*cough*

Shortly is really a subjective term also, open to interpretation. After having run ICC for 14 months, and seeing DS as the only option for at LEAST 6 months, if they implement even some of those staples that you are all crying for to be put in instantly, I'll be happy. Heck, I am happy, it will be a nice bonus.

Not a "fanboi" and I'm not a proponent of Blizzard either. I just want to enjoy a game, and when it offers more I'm happy with that.

Blizzard's failure (for ME) is the upcoming expansion and ending yet another one with a dragged out, nerfed-over-time end-boss raid. Not to mention handing out gear ridiculously easy for little to no effort whatsoever.

BW/EA gets my money for now, I'll see where I'm at in 5-6 months. I don't hold out unrealistic expectations, such as wanting devs to have fixes instantly, as soon as I am typing a ticket or posting on the forums. I'll give them due time, and if there's no results down the road I will move on from there.

From James himself.

And yet you are still here. lol back at ya. :D

From James himself.

Good post, half the stuff that the game lacks that is the norm these days were asked for nearly a year ago in beta. While they were doing "polish" these things were ignored and put on what BW calls Wall of Crazy...Wall of Crazy=S*** that should be ingame at release.

Edited by Tiam

I am a coder, give me 7 years to develop something or 3 and I can tell you there is a huge differance. Eh you can rant and rave the WoW love all you like, but in the end, it's like compairing WoW to EQ, you can't compaire them beyond the facet they are MMO's. EQ has a ton more content then WoW ever will, but then EQ is not easy to play. So it comes down too... If you don't like it, move on... don't need to hear why you are moving, just do it.

As someone that might know what goes into any change of code on an enterprise level do you agree that the speed they are changing some things is kind of nice. Rather then put in all the bells and whistles added to wow via expansion packs.. they seem to have a different agenda to the changes they make to the game.

in wow slottable items were only a gleam in some mouthbreathers eye until what BC?

One thing you have to realize is the game they want to emulate didn't have nearly the features this game has/had at launch. Granted somethings should have been implemented already such as the UI and draggable windows. Other then that though...I don't get what you think you accomplish by bandwagoning with everyone else and calling out the 'fanboys' are you not a fan of star wars as well...?

Its the garbage like that which makes anyone with any common-sense disregard any argument you have. I bet in your mind and many others who think like you, they should fix/change everything and push it all out in one update to the game.

While your argument in part has merit.. certainly has merit, the means to justify the ends many people are adopting here makes me want to stunlock you and tie you to a flashpoint shuttle-as its taking off.

If people weren't shooting down everyone that has a negative opinion I probably wouldn't post like I do. But what happens when you slap a person over and over for speaking..... they slap back and tell you to shut up.

Edited by Barracudastr

If you want all MMOs to release with ALL "established" features no MMO will ever get released again. It would take more than 6 years to develop and when those 6 years are over you'd need another couple of years to catch up with the developments that happened during those years. MMOs have to launch at some time.

I already know what'll happen in a year when this game has caught up. All the whiny crybabies will come running back and will start ************ that it's not fair that people who stuck it out have an "unfair advantage" because they have a bunch of legacy levels on them.

Edited by Meluna
insults

The reason I post like that is because "fanboys" are so eager to shoot anyone down that bad mouths the game in anyway or disagrees and thinks the game is pure honey and couldn't have been better and anything they add is just icing on the cake.

If the average "fanboi" was half as interested in seeing the game succeed as I am, There would be a lot less arguing on this board and a lot more of a cohesive voice.