Razer Naga vs. Razer Naga Hex

MaverickXIV

Since this game has a ridiculous amount of abilities to bind, I feel like it's a good time to upgrade to a better mouse.

The Razer Naga touts itself as an MMO mouse, but twelve buttons just seems like too many. With twelve buttons plus even one button modifier, my options would far surpass what I need for this game, which itself requires more keybinds than most. It also seems hard to believe that there won't be too much user error with so many buttons so close together.

The Razer Naga Hex has only six buttons and they're more spread apart. It's supposed to be an RTS/action RPG mouse, but again, I'm taking what Razer advertises their mice as with a grain of salt.

The Naga would cost about $10 less, but I'm not too worried about that. What I am worried about, though, is being completely wrong about the twelve buttons. If I get the Naga, I might be able to get by only using some of the buttons, but if I get a Hex and find out that I want more buttons, then I'm screwed.

Well, I use Q, E, F, X, 1, 2, 3 and Shift variants of each. I have a mouse with three buttons (again, with Shift Variants), and I'm finding myself maybe three abilities/items/etc. under budget, so to speak. I believe I only get two or three more before I hit 50, so I'm fairly positive the Hex would work,

The Hex technically has 11 total buttons; it's just the side that has six.

if they allowed macros I could see 6 buttons being fine, but as it is I'm rocking atleast 24 keybinds from my juggernaut....so I kind of need all 12.

Huh? Razer has its own software drivers for its mice. When I push the "2" button on my Naga I do a series of attacks, timed correctly for ability cooldowns, channel time, etc, that kills a strong mob with that one button press.

Huh? Razer has its own software drivers for its mice. When I push the "2" button on my Naga I do a series of attacks, timed correctly for ability cooldowns, channel time, etc, that kills a strong mob with that one button press.

Which, in all likelyhood, is against the ToS. :eek:

It's not cause it's hardware based. If they didn't allow for this they could not allow for multi-boxing.

The drivers are not hardware. You can use the Naga without the drivers, and the keys are what they are labeled. The drivers allow for the macro functionality, and they are on the software side of it.

Probably not safe to use, even less safe to admit using.

I've had the 12-button (well, 17-button really) Razer Naga for a few months now and it took me awhile to garner the nerve to buy it. It's a little overwhelming at first and I had the same concerns about the buttons.

The keys on the side are tactile and require a fair amount of pressure to push - I have yet to press more than one at a time or drag my fingers across the pad with terrible results. I have small, girl hands and I don't have a problem reaching all 12. I tend to use the top 3 exclusively, though. My boyfriend, who obviously has larger hands than I, doesn't have issues either. The mouse is also VERY ergonomic/comfortable to use overall.

It is a small learning curve and took me a few days to feel confident enough using it for a raid. Your mileage may vary. It comes with raised decals you can place on the keys which helps. The only real con I can think of is that the mouse runs warm - I was surprised by this, but adapted and don't even notice it anymore.

Edit: I play a Jugg and find all the extra buttons invaluable. Yes, you can rig it the way a previous poster did.

Edited by Irishay

The drivers are not hardware. You can use the Naga without the drivers, and the keys are what they are labeled. The drivers allow for the macro functionality, and they are on the software side of it.

They are fine to use. The Razer Hex even has a SWTOR coming out along with a keyboard, guess what software they use?

Many people play many MMO with mice like the Razer, and even keyboards like the G15. Nothing wrong with using them.

Personally I just picked up the Corsair M90 ... the software is a bit buggy, but with a few little tweaks i can get my 12 button mouse up and running. Its heavy duty, a bit small but still great to play with, and is constructed way better than the Razer crap that is on the market. If you feel like 12 buttons is too much the logitech G700 is also a great option... Personally I would not buy a razer product (especially the SWTOR ones 139 bucks? no way!) My Corsair was 80 bucks and totally worth every penny in my opinion. 9 thumb macro buttons is perfect for my sorc healer and makes things wonderful when raiding/pvping

Considering the official SWTOR mouse from Razer is a 12-button one too, I doubt BioWare actually care.

You dense? They have a SWTOR Razer mouse which is just a reskinned naga epic edition.

Did they make it so you can stare at it? No they made it to be used in game.

You dense? They have a SWTOR Razer mouse which is just a reskinned naga epic edition.

Really not sure what you're trying to say here, but whatever.

ANYWAY, I have the Naga and I love it. It does take a bit of getting used to. I rarely use the side buttons 7-12, but I do use them sometimes.

I've found that I can ALMOST have some Healbot-like functionality by binding spells to the side keys.

From looking at pictures of the SWTOR Razer mouse, it looks like they moved the side thumb buttons to the top. (I could be wrong) That alone would be a deal-breaker to me since I use mine all the time. I have auto-run and jump bound to them for super lazy movement control.

I'm currently not running any Razer software either. Perhaps I will look into it.

They are fine to use. The Razer Hex even has a SWTOR coming out along with a keyboard, guess what software they use?

Many people play many MMO with mice like the Razer, and even keyboards like the G15. Nothing wrong with using them.

I have a Naga myself, but I don't use the macro functionality because the wording of the ToS is iffy at best. Better safe than sorry. Just trying to warn that automated actions using third party software is against the ToS, and Naga Macros do fall into that category.

Whether or not Bioware will ban for using them, no one knows, but you are taking a risk by using them until we get a clear answer on whether or not they are acceptable.

No, I'm not dense. There's a difference between using the extra buttons, and having the driver software play the game for you. As I said above, the wording in the ToS is vague, and until we get confirmation on whether or not it's ok to have the mouse drivers automate gameplay for you, you are risking your account by doing so.

Edited by Daeada

I just bought a Naga and love it. Given the amount of abilities I use in longer fights I like having an entire bar bound to a single button each and the shift as a mod for the second bar. Took a few days to get used to the buttons but once I did I haven't had any issues with hitting the wrong thing.

Since this game has a ridiculous amount of abilities to bind, I feel like it's a good time to upgrade to a better mouse.

The Razer Naga touts itself as an MMO mouse, but twelve buttons just seems like too many. With twelve buttons plus even one button modifier, my options would far surpass what I need for this game, which itself requires more keybinds than most. It also seems hard to believe that there won't be too much user error with so many buttons so close together.

The Razer Naga Hex has only six buttons and they're more spread apart. It's supposed to be an RTS/action RPG mouse, but again, I'm taking what Razer advertises their mice as with a grain of salt.

The Naga would cost about $10 less, but I'm not too worried about that. What I am worried about, though, is being completely wrong about the twelve buttons. If I get the Naga, I might be able to get by only using some of the buttons, but if I get a Hex and find out that I want more buttons, then I'm screwed.

Get the Naga splurge a bit extra for the Epic. You can find the Epic for like $105 online from lotn.com . I bought the SWTOR Naga Epic and love it and the razer saber crystal is pretty neat too.

Buy the Naga, get use to it, then wonder why you didn't buy one sooner! Had mine for 6 months now, can't stand even touching a mouse that isn't a Naga... At first I was thinking I'd never use all 12 buttons on the side, but after a few weeks I found myself using them non stop.

You on something? Cool down.

The mouse's 12 buttons can be used without any software. They will act like the num pad, or number keys on the top row. The software, on the other hand, can create macros which can create some sort of automation by pressing one button. That part is questionable relative to the TOS.

Now, another possible thing to consider is when they are advertising the SWTOR Razer, did they also advertise about macroing? If their product is suggesting the use of macros within the mouse's capabilities, then I believe you have a case if they ban you for using something they advertised about, to entice you to buy their product.

• 1 month later...
Hi all! Im having some SERIOUS big issues with my Razer Naga Hex mouse. The problem is that when i bind my side buttons to SwTor abilities they reset after some time :S It's hard to explain, sry. I bind all 1-6 buttons to various abilities and after some time they just reset. For example: When i press 4. I move left. Instead of using "Cloak of Pain" ability. :( It still says "4" on the ability. Please help me someone! :(

Get the Naga with the 12 buttons (there is actually a few more near the left click button but i never use em).

I couldnt play mmos without it. Left for moving and quick targeting. Right hand for looking, click targeting and actions. Im a FPS player so the whole left hand attacking and stuff bothers me.