Is SWTOR the victim of WOW burnout?

cronpants

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if a game bascially like Sonic the Hedgehog (the 1991 one) was released today, even if this was a perfect technical copy, people would complain that this is a limited game....

Hate to break the news but (Wii) has been releasing the same crap. People eat that up.

I've read alot of the gripes and complaints on these forums, and i've come to the conclusion that the level of intolerance for bugs and tech issues is way beyond anything i've seen in any other game. The first few month of wow's launch, we experienced up to 20+ days of server down time. During that time i didn't feel the hatred i feel in the swtor forums. Personally I blame the burned out wowers who built unrealistic expectations.

Thoughts?

No, SWTOR is a victim of WOW Kiddies and Whiners who want everything for nothing.

Really all the problems suck but everyone keeps referencing buying a car. Does your car cost 60 dollars and then 15 dollars of gas each month?? If so then No, i would not be upset if i bought a car for 60 dollars that had no wheels, doors or windshield.

Really? What would you do with it...

Here are my thoughts:

1. I do feel, given the amount of time they spent working on and testing this game (recording voice overs) it should have been delivered in better condition. Missing essential and fundamental things like a combat log, target of target frames, resizable/adjustible UI, functionality of the endgame open world PvP zone etc, should have been implemented before the game rolled out. I DO NOT like entering into the paid beta (you are now in the paid beta - you probably will be for the next 8-24 months) when the actual beta wasn't used to it's fullest extent. The customer SHOULD expect better - I don't care a game 8 years ago had 37+ days down time or 479 bugs or the launcher launched upside down. The point is, Bioware can see those errors made by other companies and anticipate... I expect to not have unexpected down time, or more bugged quests than functional.

2. It's a new game. Players on this scale are going to find things even beta testers couldn't. It's gonna be chock full of bugs and exploits etc. I've spent more money on worse games, and I've spent less money on better games... I'll roll with it so long as Bioware shows decent effort, I'm subbed up again for the month... and I'll take it one month at a time.

First of all SWTOR is not competing the MMOs of 7 years ago. It is competing with the MMOs of today (primarily WoW and in the future, GW2 and Tera). The market and expectations for ALL games were very different 7 years ago. The gaming industry has matured and today we all expect a certain level of polish in released games. Any comparison of SWTOR's release and WoWs release is wrong.

Second, many of the issues raised by people are actually very viable ussues and not unrealistic at all. From ability delay to lack of playable engame content and lack of serious PvP are all very important and viable issues. In other words, most players up to now have not complained about that little stuff at all. So your characterization of unrealistic expectations is wrong.

WoW today isn't much better than WoW 7 years ago.

Any comparison of SWTOR's release and WoWs release is wrong.

So your characterization of unrealistic expectations is wrong.

Excuse me, but have you ever designed a game?

Did it ever occur to you that a comparison of both game's releases is perfectly logical?

Do you think Blizzard employees had a clue of what they had to do at the start? They built the game from the ground, and that's EXACTLY what Bioware has to do.

Unrealistic expectations is "Oh god, this game doesn't have LFG. This game doesn't have Real-ID (which was universally recognized as a TERRIBLE idea, even by Blizzard), etc". Do you understand how HARD it is to implement those features before the game is launched?

Sorry to tell you sir, but YOU are the one that is wrong here.

-Aerolith

I've read alot of the gripes and complaints on these forums, and i've come to the conclusion that the level of intolerance for bugs and tech issues is way beyond anything i've seen in any other game. The first few month of wow's launch, we experienced up to 20+ days of server down time. During that time i didn't feel the hatred i feel in the swtor forums. Personally I blame the burned out wowers who built unrealistic expectations.

Thoughts?

Sorta yes sorta no...

The ability delay is driving me up the WALL!

In WoW, if the servers went down, I just played a different game until I heard they came up again.

Bugs happen, its a fact in the programming world. People have no right to be mad at bugs. Those bugs being allowed to run rampant with no communication from the exterminators regarding when they are going to kill the bugs is un-acceptable.

People do however, have the right to be mad about the lack of features that have become the industry standard.

If an mmo of the past successful implemented an in game system. There is no excuse for another game to implement a less functional version of the same system.

SWTOR is behind the curve in the combat, and UI department. THE 2 MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS OF ANY MMORPG.

Nobody needs addons, or macros, all tho they are nice to have. but a functional UI and responsive combat are paramount to the game play of an mmo.

20+ days of server downtime? What?

I was there from day one. The first few days were iffy, but the servers were up more often than not. Certainly nothing like a 20 day blackout.

People make up the most ridiculous crap about WoW's launch, usually when they're trying to make excuses. Next thing you know WoW set our computers on fire and killed our cats when it launchd :rolleyes:

I was on Sargeras week 1 and it wasn't good, but it was like several days of server ****ups, very long maintenance times, and occasional loot lag.

The game itself was very good when you could log on, which is what caused the server overloads in the first place. That's pretty drastically different from "I can log on just fine, but I don't like it that much".

I'm sorry if some peoples standards went up over the last 8 years but it has.

^^^ THIS

This isn't a software release for a 7 year old game, with 2 to 4 year old engine, 10 plus years ago, this is 2012, we expect, and we demand better, you keep up to date or release ***** versions, and we see they released a ***** version, filled with game breaking bugs and issues, many of which they have still to address or even say they exist

Like the smuggler, can not leave start area after intro, quest continues to loop over and over, not for everyone, but for enough people to make it an issue

I understand nothing is perfect, software has issues, bugs etc.. I got that, but this many for a 2012 AAA title, from a company with very deep pockets and the ability to hire the right people for the job, is a failure on their part

Will I cancel?? no, I like the game, I like the genre, saw the original movies in the theaters as a young kid, and yes I am having fun playing, but I can still complain about failure and issues and demand they be addressed an fixed

To answer the title, I'm sure that on some level SWToR suffers from the fact that some people played WoW for many years, grew very tired of it, and are not even remotely in the mood to play it again for a few more years even if it's redressed in a Star Wars skin.

The flip side of that coin is that you have people who still love WoW, at which point SWToR suffers in that it can't compete on a per feature level.

This game targeted a specific type of MMO player, which (not by accident) happens to be the same type of player that enjoyed WoW. And, for better or for worse, that is simply that.

Excuse me, but have you ever designed a game?

Did it ever occur to you that a comparison of both game's releases is perfectly logical?

Do you think Blizzard employees had a clue of what they had to do at the start? They built the game from the ground, and that's EXACTLY what Bioware has to do.

Unrealistic expectations is "Oh god, this game doesn't have LFG. This game doesn't have Real-ID (which was universally recognized as a TERRIBLE idea, even by Blizzard), etc". Do you understand how HARD it is to implement those features before the game is launched?

Sorry to tell you sir, but YOU are the one that is wrong here.

-Aerolith

Why would the game launch without essential features? This game was only released when it was to capitalize on the holiday season and cut their losses.

I know that if I were in charge of designing a game and if I really cared for it I would not release it until it was absolutely perfect. I would also know that I am in competition with WoW with GW2 and with other titles for a share of the MMO market. I would not release a product that is lesser in quality than those competing titles and without many of the features that they boast.

The lack of quality in this game is attributed to incompetence - not financial or time constraints. TOR's budget is estimated at anywhere between 200-500 million and had a six year development cycle. WoW had but a fraction of those resources (I believe its budget was around seventy million? not sure).

And it still doesn't make sense. Absolutely nobody wants something for nothing. Each and every one of us paid money for the game and want a product that works.

What?

If I got something for nothing I would be happy and so would a lot. New car for nothing? New house? Please explain.

the internet is more widespread. The newer generation is more dependable than ever of it and cant see outside its scope. They feed on the sense of power anonimaty gives them and they feel its cool to hate on everything.

They also have no realistic views of what it means to fund and develop a game of this magnitude and use whats been achieved thus far by wow has the norm.

In short, the ignorance on the internet achieves new low's everyday. This is another piece of evidance of that fact.

exactly!

It's a victim of a noob studio with no idea how to make a SP into an MMO. Not saying it's easy, but some decisions have just been bad. Plus it's a victim of being released in such a bare bones state/buggy to hell and back.

If it's a victim, so are we, and the murderer is Bioware!:eek:

Drama is strong in this one. :rolleyes:

Your memory substantially differs from mine. I was there too and I remember it was like an online version of the French Revolution.

Yeah, that's what I remember too.

Much like the players here, people expected bugs to magically disappear, and believed that blizzard developers had intentionally put those bugs in their code specifically to make players not enjoy the game.

INB4 'that was 2004' rants.

I'm going to bite.

If Ford released the T-model today you wouldn't be saying it's just fine and dandy just because it was the standard decades ago. Markets change, a game has to appeal to the expectations of todays gamers, not to those of years ago.

And for the record, I didn't have unreasonable expectations, I only expected some bare minimal features would've been met that are standard (a must even) in modern MMO's. Why should I wait say 4 months to get target of target for example? If such things aren't in the game on launch it can only spell too early of an launch. But I don't blame the devs, I blame EA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.