The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Longer Camping Bases... Stand in Line for Free Valor...

Kelindris

You mean that MMO that had a peak of 250k subs? Oh, yeah! Huuuge success there. :rolleyes:

250k subs for daoc at its time is probably equal to millions today.

It was the top MMO for a long time and highly successful.

Think before you post.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe finding loop holes and exploits is whats makes it really fun.

i am all for repairing exploits, but i love finding them, its a far more stimulating activity then most MMO activities... and no, just giving people maxed out characters is not the same thing, that is no fun for anyone

the real game is played outside the box, losers play inside the box

Clearly. Judging by the video this looks way more entertaining and stimulating than fighting one another.

Think before you post.

People keep saying they need to bring back DAOC but that play style doesn't appeal to most sheeple.

Don't get me wrong, it appeals to me, but I really don't think that a MMO structured like that would make a lot of money among carebears.

i have always heard such good things about daoc, i personally missed getting a chance to play this but it seems like its universally considered what MMOs should be. so why cant people do this.

Because it's not. It's nostalgia talking. There were plenty of problems in that game too, and if a game like that came out in today's market it would get just as many complaints. Whiners gonna whine.

Clearly. Judging by the video this looks way more entertaining and stimulating than fighting one another.

it could be more stimulating in the sense that the time you save from grinding warzones could be used for more stimulating activities. or maybe its more social stimulation as is....

it could be more stimulating in the sense that the time you save from grinding warzones could be used for more stimulating activities. or maybe its more social stimulation as is....

Or, if like a normal person, you just enjoy playing Warzones you can get gear as it comes to you and not feel the need to "grind" because you're enjoying yourself. Then, outside of playing, you can maintain a social life!

If not playing the game is more stimulating to you than playing the game then *** is the point of playing? Quit and be done with it so I don't have to read about you whining.

Edited by Scoobings

Why do people constantly aruge that there should be no rewards for PvP and you should PvP for hte sake of it?

If that's what I watned, I'd just play Counterstrike.

I want to PvP and progress my character.

This is why DAoC's system was great. You actually got skills from participating in PvP. You got your gear from PvE and gained Realm Ranks in PVP that you could then use to get more powerful skills.

Beyond that, DAoC had the stat tracking system. You could see what players, guilds, etc had gotten the most Realm Points, most Realm Points per death, etc, etc. It was a game designed around PvP. PvE was an afterthought for most people who played it. Update the graphics, tweak it, and put it in a futuristic setting instead of the typical fantasy BS and I'd play the hell out of it again.

PvP to get better gear is stupid.

Edit: And no, it was not my first MMORPG. It is not "rose colored glasses." It is not nostalgia. I played several before and after it, but it was by far my favorite.

The community dynamic was far and away better than any other game. The struggle between the top guilds within factions combined with the struggle between the three seperate factions was just awesome.

Vault boards anyone?

Edited by big_aug

Why do people constantly aruge that there should be no rewards for PvP and you should PvP for hte sake of it?

This is why DAoC's system was great. You actually got skills from participating in PvP. You got your gear from PvE and gained Realm Ranks in PVP that you could then use to get more powerful skills.

Beyond that, DAoC had the stat tracking system. You could see what players, guilds, etc had gotten the most Realm Points, most Realm Points per death, etc, etc. It was a game designed around PvP. PvE was an afterthought for most people who played it. Update the graphics, tweak it, and put it in a futuristic setting instead of the typical fantasy BS and I'd play the hell out of it again.

You PVP to progress your character... to what end if you don't enjoy PVP?

Your logic of "if I wanted to play a game just to enjoy it I'd play counter-strike!" then why not play Counter strike?

I seriously don't get this logic. I mean don't get me wrong, I want PVP rewards because progression of one's character is important. I just don't the farming mentality of taking the quickest route to get gear. I'd rather spend that time playing my character and enjoying myself than mindlessly farming.

It's one of the reasons I hate leveling in most other MMOs.

Edit: And no, it was not my first MMORPG. It is not "rose colored glasses." It is not nostalgia. I played several before and after it, but it was by far my favorite.

The community dynamic was far and away better than any other game. The struggle between the top guilds within factions combined with the struggle between the three seperate factions was just awesome.

Vault boards anyone?

Google "Dominus MMORPG" Its even got Sanya Weathers as the community manager. (imagine if you played DAOC you recall that name)

You guys who blame the players and not BioWare: how about we make a game where you can all join a party and hit white box models of varying shapes and sizes but nothing will drop and there won't be any quests or storyline? I can go make it for you and sell it for 60$ right now.

That's literally what this game is to a PvPer. If we wanted to hit other people with objects we can just go outside and pickup a rock. Stop facking acting like it's the players' faults. BioWare I'm sure has some brilliant developers but clearly they had no say in this game's PvP system because it's the worst I've seen since WAR.

Now everyone go unsubscribe who thinks it's awful because you're hurting yourself and the rest of the MMO PvP community by supporting this nonsense.

Edited by SkewedLife

People didn't trade deaths in wow because trading deaths didn't get you anything in wow.

Some people traded deaths in DAOC but not on a large scale because it took long enough to run back that it made it unattractive. And because they actually banned them.

Unlike BW, who takes three weeks to "do an investigation" and then bans people for 3 days without even stripping their gains.

Edited by yukirshiro

You PVP to progress your character... to what end if you don't enjoy PVP?

Your logic of "if I wanted to play a game just to enjoy it I'd play counter-strike!" then why not play Counter strike?

I seriously don't get this logic. I mean don't get me wrong, I want PVP rewards because progression of one's character is important. I just don't the farming mentality of taking the quickest route to get gear. I'd rather spend that time playing my character and enjoying myself than mindlessly farming.

It's one of the reasons I hate leveling in most other MMOs.

People "farm" because the actual act that is intended is boring and tedious. My logic is that if I wanted to do straight PvP for the sake of killing people, I'd play a game designed for that (counterstrike).

That's not what I want. I want to PvP, get rewards, feel as if I'm becoming more powerful, and feel that it is meaningful.

If you played DAoC, then you should understand what I'm saying. Sure, some people farmed each other. But there were EPIC battles in the frontiers. 20-40 people on each side.

Small group vs small group was also hugely popular.

Not only was the PvP fun as hell, but you got great rewards for doing it. Why can't you have both? Getting PvP gear isn't even close. Everyone gets the same thing. At least in DAoC, there were various progression paths you could choose. Sure, some were basically mandatory, but there were definitely unique options for all classes.

Its been a while, but I remember a specific example on my Nightshade. The numbers aren't correct so just think of them as arbitrary. You could spend 10 points from realm rank and get Viper (I think that's what it was, been a while) which was an active ability that doubled the damage from each tick of your poisions. You could also choose to go a more passive route and buy a couple abilities for 5 each that gratned you bonuses to your stats.

Like I said, if I just wanted PvP, I'd play Counterstrike.

Edited by big_aug

Hopefully this video can be used to see how the Illum PvP system can be abused so easily with a little cooperation between factions.

What about the servers that have dual guilds on each faction, all they have to do is ask their sister guild (On the opposite faction), have them all in vent (heck even /say works to talk with the opposite faction), take points then trade kills like in the video. Weekly Illum quest done in just a few minutes along with some extra valor for all the good faith dealings.

I highly suspect my server has guilds setup like this, since the same two guilds seem to have always traded tanks pre-patch and now deaths post-patch.

As much time and PITA doing the Ilum daily was last night, I can't say I totally blame then as the system as setup by BW is a huge POS.

Edited by Kunari

You guys who blame the players and not BioWare: how about we make a game where you can all join a party and hit white box models of varying shapes and sizes but nothing will drop and there won't be any quests or storyline? I can go make it for you and sell it for 60$ right now.

That's literally what this game is to a PvPer. If we wanted to hit other people with objects we can just go outside and pickup a rock. Stop facking acting like it's the players' faults. BioWare I'm sure has some brilliant developers but clearly they had no say in this game's PvP system because it's the worst I've seen since WAR.

Now everyone go unsubscribe who thinks it's awful because you're hurting yourself and the rest of the MMO PvP community by supporting this nonsense.

If the models I'm hitting are controlled by a player also trying to hit me, then ok. That's essentially what PVP is in MMOs, and I was one of the kids who used to have rock fights when I was younger.... soooooo game on?

Obviously I need something a little bit more complicated than rocks now adays, but each class has a significant variety of moves and the atmosphere is interesting enough that I enjoy this game.

Maybe, I can make you that same game where you hit white box models that stand there and after you do that for 4 hours you get a token that says "+2" instead of "+1". Is that your motivating factor?

Edited by Scoobings

Think before you post.

UO got up to over 250k before DAOC was a sparkle in the developers eye

EQ got up to 1.5 million around the same time DAOC was online (and was THE TOP MMO of DAOC's time)

Wow got up to what 15 million?

DAOC, while a good game with nice different mechanics in it was never ever ever the top mmo of its time.

Coming out of your spawn and just AoE killing each other isn't hard at all. That's just bad game design.

Let's back up for a second. How is it exactly that a group of people coming together to exploit the system and afk farm the devs fault? Why don't you blame the rotten apples who pull this kind of crap who intend to ruin things for everyone because they don't want to play? If everyone stops doing this standing around in large groups and camping bases, guess what happens. REAL PVP.

On Sword of Ajunta Pall we have a lot of Empire camping the Republic base, but a lot of people have noticed that if the Empire backs off and lets the Republic out, really awesome battles break out. The entire situation is a player created problem and it requires players to actually want to play the game for fun to work properly. Is there still tweaking to be done? Most certainly, Bioware has to think of new and creative ways to stop these boring ways for people to exploit. But you can not simply blame Bioware because people are too pathetic and lazy to actually play the game.

UO got up to over 250k before DAOC was a sparkle in the developers eye

EQ got up to 1.5 million around the same time DAOC was online (and was THE TOP MMO of DAOC's time)

Wow got up to what 15 million?

DAOC, while a good game with nice different mechanics in it was never ever ever the top mmo of its time.

Who cares if its #1?

There's plenty of money to be made if you're #3 with a seriously committed playerbase. I suppose it doesn't work that way. Everyone has to scale things for the lowest common denominator.

After this video was shot they all went outside and played basket ball. They just stood their own end of the court dunking the ball, then passing it to the other team to get a really high score that htey could brag about to their friends. Fix it NBA.

More like, they let the other team dunk and score so they could get the free tacos from Taco Bell.

Carebears will be carebears...they just don't belong in PvP.

why do people seem to think there needs to be a reason to pvp?? this is honestly why the zergs and everything happen is because people who dont acctually enjoy pvp flood the pvp areas for their "objectives" pvp should be done for the pure sake of pvp thats why it was originally introduced. So many people were complaining about not being able to do their daily because too many imps are outside our base wah wah wah, all I did was speeder out to south drop down and roam, I found alot of other people just roaming around aswell and got alot of good fights some of em gave valor some did not but it was more about the good fight than the valor.. pvp rewards are ment to be a bonus to pvping not the reason to pvp.

wow, thats just sad. In reality though, theres not much you can do about it if that many people want to work together. There killing each other, and its not spawn camping. It disgraces pvp and everything it stands for. But i guess people care more about gear and valor than anything else

On the other hand, its better than being camped, pple will whine about everything. I'm glad i decided this game isn't for me, and i'll just leave it at that