Republic endgame gear does not make me look powerful. Only stupid.

ndruo

Dude, shut up.

I have an end game Sith Sorc healer.

You think I enjoy looking like a moronic Feudal Japanese warlord (some people see it as transformer wings) with a pegan chicken head?

http://www.oldrepublic.net/content/attachments/580d1323452592-sith-inquisitor-sets.jpg/

Sith Inquis armor is on par or worse than Republic armor.

Oh god I had no idea....

ahhahahahahha

Well at least your PVP gear looks cool!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First picture:

he Imperial Knights, formally the Knights of the Empire, were an order of Force-practitioners loyal to the Emperor of the Fel Empire. They were fully trained in the ways of the Force and rejected the dark side of the Force, unlike previous Imperial Force-based organizations. Though they did not draw on the dark side, they did not strictly follow the light side either, and were viewed as Gray by the Jedi Order.

Not Sith or Jedi, but actually Imperial in nature, hence the red.

Second Picture:

Can we confirm the source is a legitimate artist for Star Wars canon? What is the source?

Third Picture:

A dude wearing green... a muted earth tone... how does this contradict me?

4th:

Two dudes in primarily sand and earth colours... muted earth tones, as I said. That's not red as much as it is clay-coloured.

The second picture is concept art from this game. I have the art book, shows way more than that and honestly the original concepts for this game were far better than what made the final cut in my opinion. Also, the fourth picture, I think has less to do with color and more to do with the fact that they aren't wearing boring as robes? Dunno, but that's what I mainly noticed.

Anyways, haters gonna hate and fanboiys... well, you all know what you do. Sometimes, I'm honestly afraid to even call myself a Star Wars fan simply because it lumps me in with you unimaginative drones. Who cares what the movies did or did not show? This is hundreds of years before then. You guys do know that the Star Wars universe has been steadily expanding since the late 70's right?

I mean, just looking at this time-line alone, I refer you to Celeste Mourne, Lucien Draay and Zayne Carrick; not one of which wore anything close to what you people seem to think of as "traditional" Jedi clothing; despite the fact that, ykno, according to that thing called Time these guys came way before all your Luke Skywalkers and Yodas and Han Solos.

Also, I feel like I shouldn't even need to say this, but do you guys really all think Jedi were robots or something? You really think if a Jedi Master wanted to wear a blue robe instead of brown they were going to kick him out because his "loud" choice of colors signaled a fall to the dark side? Really? C'mon...

So you want them to butcher the established lore of the universe to make your character look pretty?

Carbonite. In the movies they weren't sure if Han would survive. Thousands of years previous and everyone is doing it.

I think more lore has been butchered to make this game look iconic then anything.

Aesthetic fixes I want to see for Jedi: fix the giant booty on robe sets, allow a "toggle hood" option, add more plain clothes (non-robe) looking variants.... doesn't necessarily have to be more colorful to keep the same feel (ex. Luke in original movies: moisture farm boy in NH, republic flight suit or tan republic uniform from ESB or, my personal favorite look, slim black plain-clothes look in ROTJ)

Speaking as a game dev, and an artist at that, all I can say is that it isn't nearly as easy as you think it is.

If you really find it that easy, and your art is any good, put together a solid portfolio and get yourself a job as a certified concept artist. (Forgive me if I take the time to laugh at you internally, as I'm 100% positive that it just ain't happening OP).

Come up with 16 designs, that are completely unique, that are consistent with the class, and that have silhouettes that can be clearly identified. It goes without saying that they ALL have to look good to every single person who plays the game. For the sake of being realistic, I'll accept a "like" for all sets at a rate of 50%.

I won't only give you a cookie when you manage that feat, I'll bake you a lifetime supply and worship the ground you step on.

Look most Jedi gear looks lame and BW dropped the ball on most of the designs. You have to dig and search to make a decent look that is not a dress. At lv 50 all the epic gear is terrible looking to the point where it takes a lot from the game. Since when do jedi's wear dresses? Not one SW movie out of the 6 are there any Jedi in dresses. Some wore robes but they all wore pants not dresses. In Return of the Jedi Luke wore a black jedi out fit that was said to be a for Jedi's not sith so why wasn't that implemented in this game. Most Jedi wore uniform that resembled Martial arts (karate) outfits with a robe. Even in the latest 3 movies Jedi weren't wearing dresses. So who on earth did the stupid idea of dressing up shadows in dresses come from? Give us a wardrobe asap please because i know asking for reskins aren't happening. Also going foward loose the dress models for the Jedi gear please at least for the male models. Edited by Poisonsenvy

Hard or not, these guys are pros. You don't ask professionals to do the easy stuff, you ask them to do the hard stuff, and expect them to deliver.

I'm still enjoying the game, and I totally expect improvement because this was the case for WoW's tier 1 as well, and tier 2 was a major, major step up in terms of design. But, I still think that the tier 1 armor for Republic (and after some constructive feedback, Sith) doesn't make me look powerful - only stupid.

Edited by ndruo

imo the jedi knight gear looks way better than the sith warrior gear (i play a sith warrior fyi). The jedi counselor and Sith Inquisitor both look terrible, theres no faction bias here. The imperial agents and smugglers both look great. And lastly the bounty hunters/troopers are hit or miss.

Hard or not, these guys are pros. You don't ask professionals to do the easy stuff, you ask them to do the hard stuff, and expect them to deliver.

I'm still enjoying the game, and I totally expect improvement because this was the case for WoW's tier 1 as well, and tier 2 was a major, major step up in terms of design. But, I still think that the tier 1 armor for Republic (and after some constructive feedback, Sith) doesn't make me look powerful - only stupid.

I'm a pro, and because you didn't seem to understand the point of my post I'll make it more clear.

You're not asking for HARD, you're asking for impossible. You can't satisfy 100% of a player-base in any aspect of a game. This applies to art direction as well.

I personally was very unsatisfied with the look of t1/t2 in WoW. I played a hunter, and both Dragonstalker and Giantstalker were horrible to me. That said, I understand what the pipeline looks like, and I understand what they were trying to accomplish. I wasn't happy with the end result, but it doesn't mean that nobody was.

Speaking as a game dev, and an artist at that, all I can say is that it isn't nearly as easy as you think it is.

If you really find it that easy, and your art is any good, put together a solid portfolio and get yourself a job as a certified concept artist. (Forgive me if I take the time to laugh at you internally, as I'm 100% positive that it just ain't happening OP).

Come up with 16 designs, that are completely unique, that are consistent with the class, and that have silhouettes that can be clearly identified. It goes without saying that they ALL have to look good to every single person who plays the game. For the sake of being realistic, I'll accept a "like" for all sets at a rate of 50%.

I won't only give you a cookie when you manage that feat, I'll bake you a lifetime supply and worship the ground you step on.

Obtuse, look it up.

In spite of the unassailable mountain of difficulty in designing cool looking armor BW managed to do it for Imps (I play Imp and my toons look pretty bad*****). Why they didn't do it for Pubs is debatable but improving the look of their gear might help address the grwoing faction imbalance as well (although biodrone fanbois do not believe such disparity even exists).

Taste is subjective and a few folks like the look of the endgame Pub gear; most do not. Our guild rolled Imp based solely upon the look of the armor in beta and concept art. It just looks good. Give Pubs the ability to color customize their gear and kill two birds with one stone.

So you want them to butcher the established lore of the universe to make your character look pretty?

You act like that doesn't already happen. I would like to introduce you to my friend, the dark side Jedi Shadow. Who was recently honored by the Jedi council, promoted to master stats and given a title no other Jedi has received in thousands of years. Well expect for every Jedi Shadow that came before him but just ignore that...

Shall I go on or can we accept that lore is not the final decision in game content?

I'm a pro, and because you didn't seem to understand the point of my post I'll make it more clear.

You're not asking for HARD, you're asking for impossible. You can't satisfy 100% of a player-base in any aspect of a game. This applies to art direction as well.

I personally was very unsatisfied with the look of t1/t2 in WoW. I played a hunter, and both Dragonstalker and Giantstalker were horrible to me. That said, I understand what the pipeline looks like, and I understand what they were trying to accomplish. I wasn't happy with the end result, but it doesn't mean that nobody was.

I'm inclined to agree. Asking for new models and animations is asking for the holy grail. The best example of this is that Blizzard couldn't even make a new dragon model for their headlining boss for an entire expansion. It simply doesn't happen.

You can beg and ask all you want, but outside of some new colors, it's not happening. I would be completely and utterly shocked.

What people are really asking is colors! Not some freaking holy grail of graphical design.

It seems that in this thread suddenly simple request of having something else than brown and gray colors has become a might journey for eternal life.

Edit: Oh, and that suckermouth-helmet. Well, I can imagine at least 3 bearable choices for that. But as my drawing skills are about 20 years behind of my age and my only design related skills are fly tying I better not to stuck my spoon on that soup.

I'm relatively good at fly tying though, I've even won some contests (without beating up anyone)!

Edited by Rokkimies

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.