There will NEVER be another Star Wars movie

Tallymon

George Lucas just announced he will NEVER make another Star Wars movie. More surprising was he admitted point blank that the reason he won't make another movie is because of the critics who bash him for constantly altering his original films and for failing to re-release the originals in unaltered high-definition.

The free-spirit in me feels like his creation, his choice to do whatever he wants with it. But a more conservative part of me feels like he should appreciate and even be grateful for the fact that his original films are so popular that they are like pieces of Americana, and that he should not tamper with them out of respect for the massive cult following he created and who helped propel the series to the ridiculous level of success it's at now.

It's one thing to create totally new prequels using the latest technology that perhaps doesnt suit everyone's tastes. But it's another thing to flatly refuse to make more movies simply out of spite. Is George really so vain and shallow as this latest announcement makes him appear

Uh, we ARE talking about Lucas = YES :D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad that Lucas threw in the towel on this. Regardless if you agree with his decisions or not, this was his baby. He owns the rights and everything associated with this franchise. To bash him for any of it is a farce. Seriously, don't you guys/gals have anything better to do with your free time?

It's sad that Lucas threw in the towel on this. Regardless if you agree with his decisions or not, this was his baby. He owns the rights and everything associated with this franchise. To bash him for any of it is a farce. Seriously, don't you guys/gals have anything better to do with your free time?

Don't you have anything better to do with your free time than to bash other people's bashing? Don't you see how useless that argument is?

I really don't want to see any more Star Wars movies made. I would much prefer a live action TV series. Not anything cheezy either. It would need to have good quality special effects and good story line. The time line that SWTOR is in would have been a perfect backdrop for a series, but it is already taken with this game.

For all of you who wants more SW movies, think of this. By the end of the Friday the 13th series and the Nightmare on Elm Street series, how tired of it were you? How many times did you say that they needed to leave that series alone? It is the same here. There have been 6 movies in the series (7 if you inlude the animated Clone Wars movie).

I honestly think that a TV series would attract a large audience and would probably be picked up by one of the major networks for a prime time slot.

No I didn't. You're defending Lucas for picking up his toys and running away.

I'm not defending Lucas at all. I could care less in all honesty. What a man does with his life means no more than what I do in mine.

I'm simply stating that there is nothing anyone can do about it. I was also stating that the person I was quoting was not in a position to make assumptions based on what he or his social circle considers "fans."

So yes, you did.

I'm not defending Lucas at all. I could care less in all honesty. What a man does with his life means no more than what I do in mine.

I'm simply stating that there is nothing anyone can do about it. I was also stating that the person I was quoting was not in a position to make assumptions based on what he or his social circle considers "fans."

So yes, you did.

The person you were quoting was stating an opinion, just like you are.

So no, I didn't.

I still insist that if I let you use my car for 2 trips to California, when you get back, the car is still mine.

What if you hand me the keys to borrow it, and I say "No thanks, not unless I own it." And you then reply "Okay, the car is yours, do whatever you want with it," then you go to California while I take it to England and spend two years of my life completely redesigning it, because the only reason I was willing to take the car in the first place is because you insisted it was mine?

If you're gonna make analogies, make sure they fit with the facts.

I heard a rumor that the reason he won't release the original format of the OT is because then he'd have to pay his ex-wife a percentage of the profits...

That can be a strong motivator to not release those, depending on how messy that divorce was.

That would actually make more sense to me than just because he got his feelings hurt. And, of course he can't openly admit that is why he won't release them.

Ah yes, I remember back when I was like 12 years old, back in 2005 getting really existed at the prospect, 7 years later - virtually nothing. I wouldn't hold my breath.

you were 12 in 2005... well now this thread has actually succeed at something... that something being making me feel old

George Lucas just announced he will NEVER make another Star Wars movie. More surprising was he admitted point blank that the reason he won't make another movie is because of the critics who bash him for constantly altering his original films and for failing to re-release the originals in unaltered high-definition.

The free-spirit in me feels like his creation, his choice to do whatever he wants with it. But a more conservative part of me feels like he should appreciate and even be grateful for the fact that his original films are so popular that they are like pieces of Americana, and that he should not tamper with them out of respect for the massive cult following he created and who helped propel the series to the ridiculous level of success it's at now.

It's one thing to create totally new prequels using the latest technology that perhaps doesnt suit everyone's tastes. But it's another thing to flatly refuse to make more movies simply out of spite. Is George really so vain and shallow as this latest announcement makes him appear

Snow White 8 will never be made either. Star wars 7 will be out 4.3 years after George croaks. "Star wars: the next generation"

What if you hand me the keys to borrow it, and I say "No thanks, not unless I own it." And you then reply "Okay, the car is yours, do whatever you want with it," then you go to California while I take it to England and spend two years of my life completely redesigning it, because the only reason I was willing to take the car in the first place is because you insisted it was mine?

If you're gonna make analogies, make sure they fit with the facts.

Simply saying, "Okay, the car is yours" isn't going to get you the title to the car. No matter how you spin it, it just doesn't work that way. At the end of the day, the title was still in Lucas's hands ... and by law, it is his property and he can do with it as he sees fit.

If you're going to post rebuttals, do so with a modicum of common sense.

What if you let me help design and build that car?

The title is in my name ... no matter how much you helped to design the car, it's still my car legally.

Edited by Alkiii

I firmly believe that George Lucas gets up each day, writes out a plot synopsis for the next three films, chuckles, and then burns it.

:(

really? I'm pretty sure he gets up each morning, walks into his vault and dives into his piles of money and swims around doing the backstroke...

oh wait... nvm that's Scrooge McDuck

Frankly, if I had fans like some of these folks, I'd make Star Wars episode VII: Attack of the Ewoks. The ewoks would be led by newly discovered sith master Jar Jar and they would go on to kill Luke, Han, Chewbacca, etc, until they were finally put down by Captain Kirk's infamous double-fisted karate chop. The last half hour of the film would be a montage of me flipping my fans the bird and laughing.

Simply saying, "Okay, the car is yours" isn't going to get you the title to the car. No matter how you spin it, it just doesn't work that way. At the end of the day, the title was still in Lucas's hands ... and by law, it is his property and he can do with it as he sees fit.

If you're going to post rebuttals, do so with a modicum of common sense.

What's funny is you actually reinforced the quality of my analogy. While nobody would argue that legally it's still yours and you can do what you want with it, taking it back after telling me it belongs to me and letting me completely redesign it is a really ***hole move. If you then start complaining that people are being rude and calling you mean names, why should anyone have any pity?

Frankly, if I had fans like some of these folks, I'd make Star Wars episode VII: Attack of the Ewoks. The ewoks would be led by newly discovered sith master Jar Jar and they would go on to kill Luke, Han, Chewbacca, etc, until they were finally put down by Captain Kirk's infamous double-fisted karate chop. The last half hour of the film would be a montage of me flipping my fans the bird and laughing.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Nice!

I'd pay to see that in the theater... only if it was in 3D tho...