With the Coming UI Changes: ArcHud and Power Auras

Yfelsung

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find either of those features useful to the gameplay and feel that they clutter up the visual space rather than enhance it. However, as a 1st party solution instead of a 3rd party one, I think it would be worthwhile for Bioware to implement similar optional features if there is enough demand for it.

Of course I would want any additional elements to the UI to be optional.

They really should just add many of these UI features from other games.

Agreed. But asking BW to do all these UI customizations take time. In the long run, it would be much easier to create an extensible API so fans can create customizations for themselves. This reduces BW's long term workload, and if some mods are insanely popular, BW will take notice and incorporate them.

I agree, however SWTOR fanboys will not like how you mentioned World of Warcraft Addons in the SWTOR forums.

Perhaps. But I think that's an oversimplification. I like this game a lot so far, but I'd also like the ability to change up my UI. Do I believe that the current locked UI is a game breaking justification for tearing my hair out then reaching behind myself to dump in my fist before throwing it around the room? No. What do we see from the people posting about the UI and other "problems" that will almost 100% certainly be addressed as the game moves along? Flying hair and ***** everywhere. The OP posted a reasonable suggestion as opposed to a hyperbolic temper tantrum. it makes all the difference in the world.

Edited by Blotter

The suggestion is at least moving towards a more sensible approach. Still sounds like copying something specific over from another game just because it feels familiar.

But apart from obvious plagiarism and no sense of integrity whatsoever, it doesn't bother me overly much if this stuff can be ported directly over without any sense of discretion or title specific creativity, if it then allow the user to turn it on/off at will.

It bothers me in some abstract creative sense of direction, since some other game live by leeching all resemblance of inspiration from other places almost exclusively, so to return the favor just feels dirty somehow. If anything new is being done, it will be ported over, if it can be ported over. That feels like old fashion thievery. And yet it's apparently the new standard in this bright new future of ours. :(

---

The suggestion is at least moving towards a more sensible approach. Still sounds like copying something specific over from another game just because it feels familiar.

But apart from obvious plagiarism and no sense of integrity whatsoever, it doesn't bother me overly much if this stuff can be ported directly over without any sense of discretion or title specific creativity, if it then allow the user to turn it on/off at will.

It bothers me in some abstract creative sense of direction, since some other game live by leeching all resemblance of inspiration from other places almost exclusively, so to return the favor just feels dirty somehow. If anything new is being done, it will be ported over, if it can be ported over. That feels like old fashion thievery. And yet it's apparently the new standard in this bright new future of ours. :(

---

It's not that it feels familiar, it's that it's a better way to display information.

It allows you to focus on one part of the screen and see everything you could need.

I kind of go by two rules in MMOs:

You should be able to bind all your keys to keys that don't involve moving your hand.

and

You should have all information displayed in a way so that you don't have to move your eyes.

All those little 0.1 seconds you save add up to a lot in a long PvP fight.

I really hope with the UI update in March it makes it so

- All UI elements are move-able

- All UI elements are separately scale-able (from the video it seems they weren't)

- Action bars able to be made vertical/horizontal

- Action bars scale-able

- Action bars move-able

- Better buff/debuff tracker

I agree, however SWTOR fanboys will not like how you mentioned World of Warcraft Addons in the SWTOR forums.

Expect backlash, however i completely agree with what you said.

I'm a SWTOR FANBOY and I loved these mods in WoW. Would love to have them here. Along with AtlasLoot, FuBar, Bartender, and Outfitter.

I really hope with the UI update in March it makes it so

- All UI elements are move-able

- All UI elements are separately scale-able (from the video it seems they weren't)

- Action bars able to be made vertical/horizontal

- Action bars scale-able

- Action bars move-able

- Better buff/debuff tracker

From the video, I'd say we're at lest getting your first 5 requests.

I agree, OP. I'm not a huge fan of addons usually, but being able to focus strictly on combat makes a huge difference when you don't have to constantly look at your HP bars. One thing I thought was cool in Rift was that you could move your characters HP bar into the middle of the screen, and although that was a rather clunky solution, it helped a lot.

I agree, OP. I'm not a huge fan of addons usually, but being able to focus strictly on combat makes a huge difference when you don't have to constantly look at your HP bars. One thing I thought was cool in Rift was that you could move your characters HP bar into the middle of the screen, and although that was a rather clunky solution, it helped a lot.

I think the best solution, myself, would be to have the following:

A) Move every bar independently

B) Allow all bars, even health and resource, to be displayed either horizontal, vertical, curved horizontal, curved vertical etc

C)Allow buff and debuff bars to be moved seperately and also displayed in the same way.

D)The ability to seperate bars by your buffs/debuffs and others buffs/debuffs, so you can keep track of your own stuff easier.

This would allow each player to invent their own custom ArcHud or other similar styles to fit their liking.

I know the OP is not asking for mods, but the request illustrates exactly why they are needed.

Those requests are very specific and subject to a player's taste. ArcHud especially.

Well, just don't use them, you say? Easy enough, but it makes zero sense for the developers to do anything unless it benefits all players and everyone has a chance to use it.

Put this development in the hands of the players though. It's exactly what add-ons are good for.

Edited by Lethality

I know the OP is not asking for mods, but the request illustrates exactly why they are needed.

Those requests are very specific and subject to a player's taste. ArcHud especially.

Well, just don't use them, you say? Easy enough, but it makes zero sense for the developers to do anything unless it benefits all players and everyone has a chance to use it.

Put this development in the hands of the players though. It's exactly what add-ons are good for.

I understand where you're coming from, I even agree with you, but this thread is not about mods and I don not want it turning into a mod argument, we have enough of those already.

So let's stick to the compromise position of asking for features to be added to the stock UI.

as well as , gearscore, and everything else bad about third party mods.

Thats the only bad addon in that list .. i mean threat meters are a must.. we dont even have target of target frames.. how is a tank ever supposed to know if he/she has aggro (you already zoom out the camera to 100% to get the big picture). No, addons are mandatory or atleast alot should be in the default package.

And if RIFT is anything to go by, even with all the customizing in the world people still wanted addons.

So a list of addons or things in game should be:

- UI frame changer mods

- Clique

- Recount

- Omen

(Anything else is fine but these are simply mandatory for me to play a game properly now a days .. So YES im a addon junkie and YES gearscore sucks)

Edited by Aenoria

I used Addons extensively in wow, in fact I rebuit my entire UI several times.

But I hated ArcHud and its imitators, I just don't like having things in my way when I need to see things. It might be because i'm a tank and needing to be able to see whats going on is so important. And in SWTOR I think the visual look would be spoiled.

Powerauras is a good addon and I used it in WoW. I can see how it would make things easier, but I don't really see the need. Dumbing down the challenge of gameplay isn't something I want. And if its in for some everyone will have to use it or be considered at a disadvantage.

Your way or my way, neither is inherrantly right or wrong in this case.

100% agree with the OP. I would love to see some others added. One of the most important for me would be the addition of a numerical value on the skill on your bars showing the cooldown that is left. As it is the icons are oftened colored and you might think it's ready but it still has a few seconds left.

Cooldown pulse was great too. It would quickly flash or "pulse" the icon of the skill when it came off of cooldown.

I understand where you're coming from, I even agree with you, but this thread is not about mods and I don not want it turning into a mod argument, we have enough of those already.

So let's stick to the compromise position of asking for features to be added to the stock UI.

Well, I'm all for it, I just don't see how they could ever possibly address every personal idiosyncratic request. So I chose to use the opportunity to illustrate again the importance of putting this capability in the hands of the player.

However, if BioWare wants to hire a UI-Extra team to code specific requests, I'm all for that too!